Chapter 25: Make it Count (Part 2)
113 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lein watched the heartwarming scene unfolding before her eyes. She was struck by surprise at first, but then later it turned into something beautiful. She couldn’t help but smile. This somewhat reminded her of her times with Galeila when she was young. The time Galeila found her.

It was a time of darkness and utter loneliness. She was in a place so dark and cold, a very young child, clutching her own knees in the rain as a heavy emotion overwhelmed everything else. She almost gave up in life.

But then, Galeila came like the sun bringing salvation. A beautiful woman with eyes of jade extending her hand towards Lein. Lein could still clearly remember that moment. It was the moment when her life began to change. She turned from nothing into something.

It was a beautiful memory. Something that she will value the rest of her life.

Rume must have really taken Galeila’s words into heart. Lein also remembered those words.

Did she have something to say to Galeila? Yes, but she always expressed it when she felt weak. Like the moment she reunited with her. 

She doesn’t have that much to say.

She may act oftenly embarrassed, but that depends on the situation or the atmosphere. Most of the time, she would say what needed to be said.

But has she ever thanked Galeila for everything? Yes, a long time ago. They also went through plenty of difficult times. Times that made Lein realize a few important things.

They were amazing adventures. They were precious memories.

Lein prayed for Rume to have memorable adventures as well. She hoped times like it would last long.

The sobbing began to ease up. A sweet satisfied smile radiated from Rume. Esmon on the other hand, rubbed away the tears on his eyes and cheeks. It was a bit weird to see an old man cry, to be honest. But it was touching nonetheless.

Esmon patted Rume’s head.

“I wonder what brought this on…” He muttered.

Rume has yet to let go. Esmon raised his head to look at Lein.

“Did something happen?”

Lein smiled.

“Rume learned something from a friend’s words, I suppose.”

“I see. It appears you have gotten close.”

Lein wondered which friend Esmon thought. He never met Galeila after all.

“I think so.”

Rume raised her head to look at Esmon.

“You alright now, Rume?” He asked.

“Yes.”

“Then, as you two are together, are you going somewhere?”

Now this was what Lein was worried about earlier.

“... Um, back to the forest.”

“Again?”

Yup, it’s over.

Lein thought. They couldn’t keep using the lie of them finding the Vilicus. That would just invite suspicions. Plus, if Rume would be learning magic, they would need to leave everyday. And Esmon will undoubtedly discover they were leaving everyday, becoming curious and suspicious, and quite possibly concerned. Therefore, the lie they were using was over.

Rume also appeared to have realized it herself that Esmon wouldn’t let them go without a good reason and the reasoning they used would no longer work. She looked at Lein in worry.

Smart girl! But you’re a bit too late upon realizing that.

Lein sighed. Any lie wouldn’t work anymore. Therefore, they have to be honest. Plus, Esmon was someone to be trusted after all.

“Actually,” Lein moved closer to Esmon then spoke quietly. “I am teaching Rume magic.”

“M-Magi—” He immediately sealed his mouth as he was about to scream out his surprise. “Are you serious?”

“Of course.”

“... Magic.”

The old man looked worried for some reason.

“Is there an issue? I don’t know how much this village knows about the world, but magic is commonplace you know?”

“I know that of course. I learned plenty of things in my lifetime. But it’s not me I’m worried about.”

Lein understood what he was referring to.

“The other villagers?”

Esmon nodded his head.

“They should know magic is also common, right?”

“Miss Lein, you know what they think of Rume.”

“Yes. However, human magic is not the same as demon magic. They should be able to tell the difference…” Lein realized that that may not be possible. This village didn’t know a lot about anything like this. No, it would be more accurate to say they knew next to nothing. The ignorance was truly a pain. “Or not…”

“People might get frightened when they see Rume use magic of any kind.”

“Then Rume should not use magic in this place.”

“... That could work.”

“And if they do something horrible to Rume, I will take care of it myself.”

Esmon looked at Lein after her stern voice.

“I am no mere travelling mage, Mr. Esmon.”

“By that you mean?”

Lein smiled.

“Northern Alliance high official I mean.”

Esmon’s eyes went wide in surprise.

“Is that so. Hearing that makes me at ease. But where will you be teaching her?”

“Don’t you ever wonder where we go inside the forest?”

“The forest?”

“I’m afraid it’s a secret. So I can’t tell you.”

Esmon sighed.

“I understand. Rume, you want to learn magic, right?”

Rume’s innocent eyes gazed up at Esmon.

“... Yes.”

“You finally found something you want…” He muttered to himself. “Then go, the earlier you go, the more you learn today.”

“Okay!”

Rume let go and walked over to Lein’s side.

“Oh, one last thing, Miss Lein.”

Lein turned around.

“Please heed my advice. Don’t use your magic in front of the public. If you can, not to anyone else at all.”

Lein raised an eyebrow. A few villagers might already know that she was a mage after her talk with Rume at the inn. But that said, she couldn’t recall any moment that any villager saw her do any kind of magic.

“Some may think negatively of you if they see you use it. Some still have some, you could say, trauma to any magical in nature.”

“I see. So that’s why people are acting strangely everytime I go near them, or trying to talk to them.”

Her talk with Rume at the inn brought more risk and problems than she had expected. Some would even glare at her when she walked past, with a few avoiding her. Not that she cared about it. But it might obstruct her investigations about Rume a bit. If she was to investigate, it would be best to look into those who were directly involved.

Learn what some people think about what happened to Rume. Learn how it built up and ended into that. And learn the backstory of this village. She ought to know the perspective of others. She could also ask Esmon.

But that was her secondary objective. She’ll take it slowly. Though the opinions of the villagers about her might prove problematic for progress.

Her focus for now was for Rume’s lessons about magic. She and the future were more important.

With all that said, she completely forgot about her own task and why she arrived at this village.

“Well, they already don’t like me. But I’ll take your advice.”

“You seem to don’t mind that they don’t see you in good light.”

“It doesn’t matter anyway. I can live with that.”

If they were cruel towards the little girl that Lein cared about, then Lein doesn’t care whether they like her or not. She would just not like them back.

“I see.”

“We’ll be going.”

“Goodbye, Mr. Esmon!” Rume waved her hand.

Lein and Rume left the house and headed straight to the forest. After a short moment, people began to notice them and looked oddly at her. It would seem they already had an idea that she was a mage.

But it didn’t matter that much.

As they went forward, Rume looked up at Lein then to her hand. Rume wanted to hold it. Therefore, all of the sudden, Rume took Lein’s hand by surprise and held them.

Lein instantly looked towards Rume. The little girl looked embarrassed for a second but immediately formed a wide and adorable smile. Lein’s eyes widened.

“Can I hold your hand, Miss Lein?”

Lein’s lips trembled for some reason.

“O-Of course.”

Lein tightened her grip to Rume’s hand. It was a pleasant feeling. She felt happy.

This, this is great.

Lein looked forward with a proud smile while holding back the single tear threatening to come out of her eye.

Rume had begun to take Galeila’s words deep into her heart. 

That was why she reached out for Lein’s hand.

She decided to make every moment she had with those she cared about count.


This here ends the Chapter "Make it Count".

Rume will be starting her training in magic.

If I were to base this on a book, this is the end of book 1. But of course this is just me imagining the novel being in a book XD.

Please leave a review. It will be a great help.

Also, please do tell what you think of the story so far?



7