Chapter Twelve: Obsidian
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The three enemies all started compacting all their energy into their own body, ready to cause an explosion and kill the two young kids.

"No! Stop them!" The soldiers were in chaos as some released their weapons and tried preventing the incoming attacks.

Should they succeed in assassinating the two kids, all their efforts would be in vain. Right before people were ready to sacrifice thier lives, a shadow flew forward and dispatched one of the men in the sky while a burst of fire and lightning came from the man beside the chariot which immediately turned the other two men into cinders.

The two kids were astounded at the astonishing power shown by the man and the boy spoke up in awe.

"Wow, you have a aura of fire just like me yet your so strong!

"Don't thank me, it was the general with his ability which let me focus on the other two, haha. Don't worry, you will grow to be strong just like me." the soldier gave a bright smile.

"Aren't you a bit too young to be a soldier of Liandry, shouldn't you still be in school?" A man who gave off a chivalrous aura despite being covered in blood and wounds approached them and asked, throwing away the corpse of the man he just killed.

He was around forty and had curly brown hair with a small beard. He had brown eyes but his brow was always furrowed, making him look serious all the time.

"Sir Treant, I kinda ran away from school, whoops." The soldier looked just like a young teenager.

"Yet you are so talented, why give up a chance to better your education young soldier?" Treant was curious now about the boy's situation.

"Well, it wasn't interesting and I smoked even the teachers in combat so I left for a more thrilling life, plus well, a certain person kind of influenced me."

"Halt, there's a horde of people ahead, they look like they have evil intentions. Beware and be ready to engage at a moment's notice." the captain of the green unit, Harken, spoke to his unit while Treant tightened his knights defense of the chariot.

A man got off his horse and approached them with only a massive black spear in hand. He looked pretty big and was dressed in blackish blue armor and radiated might. He had a light stubble and his hair was black and slicked back with only two thick strands propped up above his forehead. He had dark, calm green eyes and he looked to be around twenty eight years of age. He spoke calmly to the group in front of him.

"We have been ordered to claim the heads of two kids, however, that is below me and my honor. Who is the Marshal Treant? step forward and face me in single combat. If you win, my unit will step down."

Treant slowly trudged forward and got off his horse and responded.
"You don't look familiar in the empire, who are you?"

"If you survive this encounter, I will tell you my name, as for my association, I joined the Raider's a week ago and became one of their leaders." 
"Your Obsidian of the eight Riders! Harken heard and spoke in shock. He then turned to the rest of his unit and the convoy.

"Change direction, head eastward and only continue south after 600 paces, we will try to buy you guys some time and meet up at our barracks, go!

"Shouldnt we fight with you!?" The soldier asked.

"No, from what I've heard around the mercenary world, he's in a league of his own, the best we can do is stall. Now all of you go complete the mission and escape. We will meet back up with you later. Now GO!" He roared at his unit.

Harken then jumped of his horse and rushed to Treant's side.
The convoy slowly turned away from the showdown and quickly dashed away. When the bandits were about to give chase they were halted.
"No need, my target is right here." The man spoke to the group.
"But cap'n, our real mission was those kids!" A member spoke in opposition.
"Enough, I've already spoken, any more is a direct challenge to me, talk any more at your own risk." The man responded emotionlessly.

"Screw yo-" the bandit was going to leave but a wide gap appeared in his chest.

"Back to business, I guess you are the leader of that company of mercenary's, I'm here only for that man, leave now or I will not stay my hand.

"Heh, talk is cheap but so long as we keep you guys here, we succeed in our mission" Harken taunted.

"Are you that confident in your ragtag bunch? How amusing" the man released a small smile.

"Enough talk" Treant stepped forth and summoned a four meter snow leopard.
"Beast possession!" The leopard faded while Treant's originally brownish hair turned white with his eyes turning yellow and his body turned more sleek and taller. He immediately vanished and disappeared from where he was standing.

"Interesting, however it is still useless! Gungnir!"
He threw his lance with great might towards a location to the right of him.
It drew blood immediately as it struck Treant's right shoulder.

"You struck me!?! He was first surprised but then yelled to Harken.
"He foolishly threw away his weapon, strike him down! Harken already took action as he summoned a green falcon and fused, gaining wind and increased speed as well as claws. His straight brown hair and yellow eyes both became bright green as is usual smirk transformed slightly into a beak. He lunged for the man's throat but he felt his movements slow down and come to a complete stop. He stood there vacantly in front of the man without being able to move and with a pat on the shoulder, was brought to his knees.

Treant rushed to save Harken but when he entered a three meter radius, he also became sluggish but was still able to manage throwing a palm to the man's chest. The man took it head on without blocking and after they made contact he directly grabbed the lance still embedded in Treant's shoulder and easily ripped it out. He swung it lightly and immediately slit Harken's throat and stabbed Treant once more in his heart.

"Mons-ster"Treant said amidst his gurgling blood, and slowly passed away.

"Sir, do we still pursue them now that you finished?" A man walked up to their leader.

"No need, lets see who's more competent, a ragtag group with no leader, or a small army who are in the middle of a civil war, we earned our keep, let's go." The group was covered in a black bubble and slowly disappeared.

They reappeared in front of the three people in the palace and the man spoke.
"We had slain their Marshal, present us our reward."

The old man replied instead.
"What of the kids?"
"They are being chased down but it is not my concern."

"That was what you were paid to do! The person on the throne interjected.
"How can you expect us to hold up on our side of our bargain when you didn't." This was a perfect opportunity to back off the debt they owed as they needed that money for future endeavors.

"Are you reneging on our contract?" The man coldly spoke as the room grew tense.
"I've heard enough, Wallace, throw this fool out." The King waved off the man.
"Your majesty wait" the old man tried defusing the situation.

"Shut up, Wallace will take care of him" however the King was adamant on not paying. The stalwart man approached the Raider's leader and was about to speak but a lance was pierced through him easily like a knife through butter, ripping through the heavy armor like nothing.

"I have grown weary of your excuses, I am needed elsewhere so I won't punish you too long." He ripped out his spear and approached the king.

"Survive one blow before we continue, you must pay for your words. The king got his guard up and had lava emerge from his fist which he threw towards the man. It was diverted and didn't even get close to him while the man raised his spear.

"Wait I'll pay! The king raised his voice but was quickly pierced to the throne in response.

"I have shown mercy to both you and your general, now pay the worth of your life old man." the man turned to the trembling old man who took out a case filled with gold and gave it to the man.

"Remember never to besmirch the name of Obsidian." the man took his entourage and quickly left.
"That monster! Keuk! Take me to the infirmary, quick!" The King rotated on the throne as he held his gaping wound at his stomach.
"At once your majesty!" The old man waved his hand and the three disappeared.

Meanwhile the chariot had been rushing for two days now with no news of either unit's captain's. Everyone's face was somber and solemn. Even the joking soldier kept his silence and left the side of the two kids and went forth to his own group.

"I'll take command for now until the captain arrives, Klaus! The soldier yelled
"Here" a bear like man approached from the side
"Take to the back with Frederick as your great shield can be good for dealing with surprise attacks with his vines.

"Roger!" He took his orders and went to the back.
"Jahn!"
"Here!" A blonde male appeared with a bow in hand.

"Take to the trees and alert us of any movement from behind and in front."
"Roger" he jumped off his horse and landed on a branch and moved soundlessly to and fro.

"Rosie, stick to me. The rest of you, be on guard and let's rush out, double the pace. Let's move!
A girl with pink hair moved soundlessly closer to the soldier while holding a halberd and stayed there.

After ten minutes of travel, Jahn reported enemies approaching.
"There's twenty coming closer, be ready to engage!" He readied his bow and fired repeatedly. He downed three but the rest came and caused the convoy to stay and steady their defense. 

"Hand over the children and surrender quietly!" A man with thick sideburns and beard roared.
Quietly the soldier approached the middle of the battlefield choosing to stay silent.
"He's activating it, retreat, Frederick!"
"Right!"
Klaus set up his shield while vines surrounded the rest of their group
"What's happening?" Rory asked a soldier beside him.
Klaus interjected and explained.
"The spirit world is a mysterious world and there are many mysteries and different powers one can gain from awakening. Naturally, some awaken to way stronger summons than normal, then there are also those blessed who gain two or more summons. He was blessed with both."

"Really!?" Rory was amazed.
All of a sudden a change in the energy in the world happened, everything started turning red and even the atmosphere started turning smoky.

"Ifrit, Incinerate!" A burst of red light appeared above the soldier and caused everyone to cover their eyes, then a burst of hot air made everyone sweaty and when the soldiers of Sopri by Rory's side opened their eyes to look at what happened, they stayed there in shock with their jaws to the floor.

As far as their eyes could see there was a hell on earth. The wide view of the lush forest had now became a landscape of charred lands and scorched trees, with only the soldier standing with no enemies in sight. The soldier got back on his horse and started moving back to the convoy.

"They have been dispatched, move forward."
"Sir, what's your name" the boy Rory asked with stars basically shooting out of his eyes.

"Me?" The man shot a bright smile to both kids and spoke his name.

"My name is Siegmund Reinhardt."
"The Blazing Lance?!" A soldier by the side asked in amazement.

"The very one, now, all troops, advance!" He once again took to the lead of the group and marched off.

"Why's he called the Blazing Lance? Is he famous?" Rory asked the soldier by his side.

"He entered the scene about three years ago, he is known for burning up every battlefield he steps forward on and his prowess is unmatched as he has never been defeated in a contest with those even remotely on the same level.

He is the grandson of Duke Reinhardt and there has been rumors he is a 'special child'." Klaus said with a smile, slightly in reminisce.

"What's a "special child?" Rory asked.
"Some people do not awaken, most do. Then there are the blessed ones who awaken to two summonings. Then, 'special child's are those who awaken to maybe three or more talents."

"What! That's possible?!??. Rory asked
"Yes, that is also why the Captain willingly sacrificed himself aside from slowing them down, he could not risk the man annihilating everyone here and wasting the military's prized jewel."

Frederick came from the back and revealed the Captain's intentions to them.
Silence ensued as they marched towards their destination unimpeded

0