How the world changes.
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Y'know, sometimes, I think about how my life could have gone if I hadn't gotten this.... curse. Growing old, dying with my love. It's seems almost like a novelty. 

   Of course, when you hear about Immortality, you think of the standard fare; No aging, regeneration of lethal wounds, stuff like that. It loses its wonder after the 10th or so time to should have died. Humans are great at that, you know. Getting used to things.

   What some people don't realize about immortality is that humans are not built to last forever. We just don't have the ability to retain information for that long, or find amusement to every little thing. Eventually, sometime, somewhere along the way, you grow apathetic towards everything. 

   It just kinda grows on you over time. The knowledge that you will someday forget your parents certainly did me no favors either. Waiting becomes a huge part of what you do. Waiting for something interesting to come. When something does eventually spark your interest, you latch onto it.

   It never lasts long though. You get used to it, normalize it, and quickly grow bored, or it fades away before then. That's another thing that happens, people and objects fading away before your eyes. After you live long enough, the years seem to just blend together. 

   One day you're talking to a great-grandson, the next it seems like he's gotten married and had kids, and the next yet he's on his death bed. It hurts, to watch it happen. Just living there, watching generation and generation wither away.

  Never truly noticed my curse until my wife started showing her age and I never did. Didn't know just what had happened to myself. Blamed it on good genetics for a while. Stopped believing that when I turned 60 with no change in appearance.

   Fell into a great depression when my love died. She lived to a ripe age of 87. By that point, we had worked out that I probably wouldn't be going with her. Still tried. Many, many times I tried. Started looking up differently ways to kill an immortal. Of course, with it being only talked about it stories, there weren't many that could be used modern day.

   Just kinda gave up after a while. Stopped eating, stopped caring for myself. Course, my children set me right after a while. I think that was something that was passed down through the times, taking care of their ever-young great grandfather.

   It's painful to visit family, but it is always worth it in the end. I give advice to the young ones, comfort those who need it, and get comforted in turn.

And thats it. Might add another thing later if I feel like it.

0