Chapter 1: The Keeper of Will
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deep in the mountains where the sun never shines, the wind strikes against its walls like the beasts of old. It’s howls, however, a mere minor presence amid the vast city expanse upon this day. The many homes built upon the mountain walls and grand pillars shining like lanterns a thousand strong. Many of those within unaware of the events taking place upon the valley’s peak, where only the eldest and most proud of the Mysterious Sect live. 

The building carved from the mountain stone shone like jade in the cold light, the wooden walls carved from great spiritual trees of Yin appearing cold as they protect those within. Yet even with the grand Pagoda like structures presence those within felt no different than if they were standing before the mountains gale in nothing but themselves. In fact, they would rather face it a thousand times over than to have to bear witness to such an event. Even still in their hearts only a strong resolve could be found, the heart demons finding no hold despite their shock. 

Before them in a vast room lit by incense and shrouded in grand silks and treasures an old man. Much less a man and much more so of something greater. A Cultivator of the Great Dao. The true Elder of the Rising Tiger Sect, the Sect Master. And here on this day surrounded by his many pupils and their apprentices he lays on his deathbed, the energies within him fading as his life candle flickered it’s last remnants. 

Despite this and his complexion his bare chest showed no signs of aging, a Grand Spiritual Tattoo upon his exposed chest shining with abundant energy. The White Tiger upon it not in the design of battle, but of rest. The spirit within much like it’s master reaching the end of its power. The prideful look however that it holds in the face of its end nearly brought the cultivators to tears. 

The man himself who brought together all these students on the great path smiled, not a bitter smile, but a resigned one as he looked over his students of so many years

“Auo Di.”

“Here Master.”

The strongest of them stepped forward clasping his hands has he met his master's eyes. A similar tattoo on his arm akin to his masters laid hidden beneath his robes, the beast within making its presence known as it greeted it’s senior.

“Auo Di, do you blame this old man for leaving?”

Auo Di was alarmed at his Master's words, why should he blame him. How could he blame him?

“Auo Di does not dare, Master I respect you too much to even think so.”

“Your words please me, Auo Di I leave the Sect to you. With your skills, it won’t be long before you surpass even me.”

“Thank you Master, I will do my best.”

Auo Di bowed his head those behind him following suit, the four Elders of the Sect behind his Master no exception. Their respect for this GrandMaster prevalent in their every movement. 

“It is my hope that all of you will continue to follow the path. And if someday you realize that path takes you away from your brothers and sisters, then I hope you will always welcome them back with open arms.”

The man his age reaching nearly four hundred in years excluding his times of cultivation outside of this realm coughed, the taste of blood upon his tongue. A secret he is determined to keep, for his death is not a natural one. Around him those except the elders and Auo Di himself knew nothing of it, but a dark light flickers in their eyes ignited upon the reminder of its presence. Seven Scars Blade Poison. A truly long and convoluted process that as the name suggests poisons it’s target through seven scars wrought by blade. A vengeful cultivator having mistaken their Master for the Masters brother struck out and nearly succeeded and killing him. Though those involved have long passed such a wound in his youth was never cured due to its convoluted nature. 

The lights in their eyes vanished with no one to blame.

“Yes Master.”

“Good. Now. They should be here soon.”

The old man leaned back with a resigned sigh. Those who heard him including the Elders frowning.

“Master Who….”

BOOM BOOM BOOM!

Everyone but the Sect Master turned, some of them visibly angry at the interruption their hearts already strained. Auo Di himself stared at the doorway to his left knowing a long hall leading to the front door lay beyond. Before they could speak the Sect Master spoke in barely a whisper.

“Come.”

Like a gentle breeze the sound of a bell rang out a single chime. Yet it’s sound made even the Elders shiver, as if a hand from the deepest reaches of hell had grasped their hearts. Having been there before the memories further increased their fear. This presence is not so simple.

From the hall the freezing winds from beyond crashed in swirling around the room as if they were alive, streaks of snowflakes shining like silver as they conformed to the vortex. To all those in the room the daunting Qi within far surpassed those within the room. Auo Di broke out into a cold sweat, who could it be. 

A single thought brought about by steady footsteps made him pale. The next moment the winds halted in their path freezing the air like ice making it impossible to move. 

The only sound of footsteps as none of them dared to breathe. Could it be. 

Yes in fact each and every cultivator understood who it was. Mixed emotions filled their hearts. Joy that their Master had earned recognition, and dread for what the recognition would mean. 

The Keeper of Wills.

From beyond the hall the figure appeared clothed in robes of black from head to toe. Their appearance like that of a thief despite the silver metal of the figures armour hidden beneath it’s folds. Upon their back a massive black box, too small to hold a person, and yet very obviously a coffin. Upon its top a crimson tinted black flag, it’s edges encrusted with ice from the snow outside. 

It’s surface in one instance unremarkable, and yet in the next powerful with a soul like power that made their knees shake. If not for the very same pressure keeping them standing they would have fallen before witnessing such a sight. The many great Masters of the land who fell on their path living on in their will left behind within the flag. 

Auo Di was left breathless recalling what he had heard. This figure a seemingly ageless Immortal who travels the known and unkown worlds seeking great Masters on their deathbeds. Receiving not only their remaining powers, but their techniques and inheritances. All of the great tombs for such masters were created by this very Immortal. 

Many of which though having been discovered still had yet to be cleared, such places are known for their dangers and rewards. Some say that this being made one for each Master with their bare hands, while others say they use the willpower that great celestials left behind to carve them from the world. 

Before such a presence these claims to Auo Di seemed very much real.

The figure clad in black ignored the others their gaze set upon the Sect Master. Only breaking their sight when they bowed at the doorway, the black flag upon their back too tall to enter with otherwise. A small pair of golden bells on it’s end making not a sound despite the movement. 

When they spoke their voice was unplaceable, it’s softness like a beauty’s kind words to a dying warrior, but the strength like a great warrior to his lost son swearing vengeance. Death, a peaceful and yet turbulent thing those hearing it thought.

“Lio Rewn, GrandMaster of the Rising Tiger Sect, Expert of The Twelve Soaring Fist Technique, and one upon your Deathbed. Do you Acknowledge your Death?”

Lio Rewn looked up meeting the mysterious Silver eyed gaze. Does he acknowledge his death, surely or he would not be laying here. Surely since this is the end. Yet the longer he looked the more his resolution surged, a test in the Immortals words.

“I do not.”

“Then Lio Rewn, do you Accept you End?”

“I do.”

“Will you give your strength, your resolve, your experiences and enlightenment to rejoin the circle of Reincarnation? To rise once more?”

Those listening were stunned. Lio Rewn more so. To embark upon the path of cultivation and to succeed at joining the higher ranks meant to forsake the chance to rejoin the path of fate, to break from it and shape the heavens with their own hands and rise to a higher plane. A hope that he had not realized still lay like a flames ember in his soul. 

Now at the end of his journey were he failed to push through a chance to try once more in exchange for all he is about to lose. If not for the legends and the very presence before him Lio Rewn would have never even hoped. But looking into the silver depths of their eyes he saw something, pain, loss, a truth to their words. Even if he had never heard of The Keeper of Will he would have believed their words.

“Yes.”

A spark of power flickered in the figures eyes at his agreement. The flag upon their back glowing as fog filled the room. Great silver bands of silk appearing like spectors above them, the threads of fate, only those of destiny visible in this moment. 

Lio Rewns own seemingly cut and fadinging it’s light bright like of the cultivators surrounding him. Far above like a spider's web many hundreds of thousands of silk like sashes disappeared into the distance, the fog making the world seem transparent in comparison. The many overlapping pathways the connection and those affected by his four hundred years. 

For those watching however they vanished quickly until only one remained its path steady as it encircled Lio Rewn, it’s ends connecting with themselves instead of to the heavens above. Reaching out a fair skinned hand the figure ran their fingers upon its silk like surface. Lio Rewn shivered feeling their cold fingers deep in his Dantian. Then as if he had let out a sigh of relief he felt his Qi leaving him. In steady streams, it flowed unhindered by the poison and his body as if the energy had not followed him for years. Pure and untainted and yet holding so much of himself. It was neither grand nor fast, but slow and steady as he stared into their eyes. 

Slowly to those watching the grand line of silk unravel, its ends reaching to the heavens from Lio Rewns chest. The blue energy fading until only a sliver remained, and then even further as it was replaced with a gentle golden glow. As a new fate was written for his soul. 

Then just like that it vanished, the figure in black with it. The pressure faded from the room Auo Di unlike the rest still standing as he watched his Master smile. An eternal look to his aged appearance gracing his face as Lio Rewn, the Sect Master for the Rising Tiger, and savior to the many students and those they encountered took his last breath.

His sight faded replaced with the path of the underworld. Tears upon his cheeks. 

He indeed rejoined the path of reincarnation being born into a cultivator household in a higher realm under the name of Wen Danten. He embarked upon a new path and had many encounters. His journeys leading him to the worlds beyond. But that is a story for another time.

0