Chapter 05 (part 1/2) – The city of Thesis
129 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV: 3rd person
As the group exited, they met this girl that was seemingly going to the dungeon. As Finn started to walk toward her, he asked if she wanted to go to the door, to which she answered positively.
But then, that girl started to fall unconscious, and Finn started to run toward her to break her fall. That also unfroze the group of three, that also started to run to her.

As Finn arrived near that fifth person – and successfully stopped her from hitting the ground –, he started to chant something:
DorretEntspiDowSifditaiimii-ditaiimii Retroaa-Ratroaa Noc.

Two of the three behind didn’t really react, knowing what he tried to do, but one of them felt that something was odd and so asked,
“What did you do?” (Tris)

“Hmm? Well I tried to heal her isn’t that obvious?” (Finn)

“... I feel like you did it differently than before though...” (Tris)

“... I guess? Now that I think about it that didn’t sound like my healings of before...” (Finn)

“Well we’ll get to know everything at the guild! Move on already!” (Daler)

“Mghnn...” (???)

““““...”””” (The D-rank party)
“... I guess I did it? Well maybe it would’ve been fine anyway...” (Finn)

“... Just, let’s go...” (Daler)

---
On their way toward the guild, they asked various things to the girl, and here are the answers:
- Her name is Laura1Yeah, I know, it’s a bit late to learn that, but hey better late than never... Right?
- She comes from a small agricultural village
- She almost never left it, and when she did she didn’t travel far away (so she never went to any other village, town nor city)
- She wanted to save her big brother
- She felt useless, even if the other villagers tolerated her for now
- She had absolutely no weapon nor combat experience (she was then scolded thoroughly by the group after revealing that fact)

---
Later, they arrived at the city of Thesis2It’s based on the dungeon’s name the inhabitants don’t even know, not the other way around, by the way. And yes there is a reason based on the lore. :p (Minor spoiler applies though.). It was a mid- to big-sized city, not too big nor too small, with a population of about 30,000 people3Do yo think that’s a lot? I’m honestly asking for your opinion, how much would you set it at? – elves, humans, wolfkin... –. And like any other city, there was multiple churches, a noble’s quarter and an adventurer’s guild. The churches and the adventurer’s guild in this city were particularly big in this city though, and that is due to the high economical interest of this land.

Indeed, there was an unusual concentration of dungeons in the surroundings – both with proven sentience and not –, which led to the surrounding land being more fertile than others. But since it also attracted monsters, adventurers and mercenaries were in higher demand in the region than others. And because the adventurers and mercenaries (also abbreviated as admercs) fought a lot in the surroundings, they required healing more than in the surrounding. And the best way to heal someone was to ask a church.

And so, the majority of the population in Thesis are or can work either as admercs or as merchants, or are nobles (which are trained to fight anyway). That was so because due to the unusual concentration of monsters, there were times where one took control of a lot of underlings to try and flood the city.

As any city however, the noble district was at the center, and there was the biggest church of the city at the center of that district. That was so that when the alarm bell rang (a bell that made a specific sound and magically amplified, that alerted everyone around a monster stampede was incoming), everyone heard either the stampede or the bell to prepare for the attack. Also, only the central church had the authorization to have that bell in the entire city. All the other churches didn’t have one of these, and that would’ve been redundant anyway.

As the group approached the gates to the city, they saw a huge queue slowly building up in front of the gate leading into the city and the party sighed while Laura blinked her eyes at them.

“Seems like we were too late...”
“Looks like it...”

“What do you mean?”

“Well now we need to wait for a long time before entering. You see that big door? That’s the only way in.”

“Why can’t we go using that other big door?”

“No, that’s the door for the nobles.”

There were indeed actually two big entrance doors, but one of them was empty and no one even tried to block it even a little. Everyone made sure that even though nobody was coming, nothing prevented someone from reaching the door, even if they had a huge carriage that could barely fit the entrance.

[‘As [I] thought, even now the nobles’ oppression are in the indisputable levels... How long did that took them really? Though, [I] also feel their influence... [I] wonder what they have gained from that arrangement.’]

As time went by, the guards in the nobles’ gate changed several times while the guards at the commoners’ gate looked more and more bored and tired. And finally, it was time for the group to pass. As they were mostly adventurers, the guards looked through their possessions briefly and more in-depth for Laura (a simple commoner with no backing), but finally let them pass through.

As the party was experienced in navigating in this city, they quickly and directly went to the adventurers’ guild while waiting for Laura who looked around pretty impressed.
And finally, they arrived in front of the adventurers’ guild, which they all entered, with a bit of lag coming from Laura as she gawked at the ‘ginormous’ (in her point of view) building.

The inside of this guild was as follow: on the left, there was an empty waiting line in front of a huge wall full of papers, most of them having a green writing on them. There was also a ‘5’ written in red on one of those that didn’t have any green mark. From the waiting line, anyone could see all papers, which were actually all the requests the guild have received. At the end of the line, there was multiple counters which were mostly empty except for one of them. They were officially called ‘Requests request counters’ (where you request the authorization to take a request) but the adventurers call them ‘Requests battlefield counters” or RB counters for short (because the official name feels too redundant).

On the right, there was a big place for people (though mostly admercs and employers) to eat and drink, but also this is a place for mercenaries to make deals with employers directly. One could see some mercenaries waiting while drinking alcohol (which, by the way, was cheaper than water).

And going forward a bit, there was two other sections on each sides as well. On the left there was the section to report back successes and failures. On the right were the stairs to go on the upper floors, and one counter that is used to register newbies.
And moving forward again is the place restricted to the nobles, hence almost nobody actually know what’s really in there.

Also, to register a request you needed to go to the same counter as to request a request (they needed to wait on the line to add a request). That was because otherwise, these counters were mostly used at only one or two points in time, and basically empty anytime else.

1262 words for Part 1!

(This note has been written before this has been decided.) There is one thing I wanted to nitpick in pretty much all stories with an adventurer guild's guild master: if I decide to make all receptionist female (which I was going to but now I’m hesitating), then ALL guild employees are female. This also includes the guild master (also, I decided to make the guild master a woman. Yeah my society is very progressive now that I think about it x).). After all, how can there be males when there is none that are hired one level below? (And yes, you always start at the receptionist level in my setting. And to my knowledge that is the case for all/the majority of settings (please correct me if I’m wrong).)

3