Chapter 09 – System swap
68 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the secret tunnel
“Well, there you go. One of the strongest monsters of the dungeon winning against a [god] of the world.”

“Hah... Hah... That was a joke, right...? No way a God lost to a dungeon monster... Right?”
The guild master was once again looking very uncomfortable and on the verge of falling unconscious.

“Haah... Seriously, stop trying to die... Even with the strong spell still active you manage to be like that? Seriously I wonder if I should applause you instead for managing to be like that...”

“““““...””””” The other five, even if not under the effect of the ‘calming’ (healing) spell, looked better than the guild master (though, mind you, still not very well).

As they were trying to think of a way to calm the guild master, Juna suddenly said “Oh well, do you want to see the dungeon core? Artemis should be waiting for us too.”

“““““Don’t act like the guild master is not in front of a breakdown!”””””

“But if we distract her then he’ll calm down!”

“““““No way seeing the dungeon core can calm him down!!”””””

And so it was decided to move forward to see the dungeon core.


Mid-way through, the guild master calmed down enough to decide to stop looking more and to go back to the guild, into her1Oh well, I needed to decide at one point x) Now I need to check all the other places if I used ‘his’/’he’... room, while deeply regretting not believing Juna when he came into her room. Juna told her that the path toward the guild will be unfrozen as she goes through there. Though before she left, she didn’t forget to ask which rank does the dungeon want to be classified at. (For the record, it was D).

After she left, the group of five that remained continued toward the dungeon core.

And once they arrived, they were greeted by the sight of Artemis acting respectful toward the dungeon core and Anemis, who acted respectful toward the dungeon core and Artemis. Only the facial expression of the dungeon core was missing to form a triangle of respectfulness.

Once they arrived, Artemis and Anemis stood up and went toward the group of five and greeted them.

“““““... Hello?””””” ‘‘‘‘‘What the hell happened here‽’’’’’

“Well I just became the dungeon’s slave, nothing important, you know?” Artemis said candidly.

“No that’s very important okay‽” Daler tsukkomied.

“Oh, okay then. But it must remain a secret okay?”

“...Fine...”

Suddenly, Artemis dropped a bombshell.

“By the way Tris, do you want to change system?”

It should first be said that a system can only be chosen once. Depending on the system, you can have bonuses or maluses. Some systems display screens in one’s field of vision (they are then known as “External display systems”) or in one’s mind/soul/... (they are then known as “Internal display systems”) when one thinks “Status” or “Display status!”, some can only show statuses when using a certain status stone (of a compatible system, obviously, and these systems are known as “Stone display systems”), and some don’t even display any status at all (“Hidden systems”).

Some systems only lists skills one would have even without the system (that makes those systems known as “Skills displayer systems”), some would prevent skill levels from being lowered, at the cost of them being harder to learn in general (those systems are known as “Skills maintainer systems”), some gives you skills as rewards for various things (“Skills givers systems”).

But, in all cases, there is one thing in common: the system can never be changed.
That is why, when you are brought to a place where the systems are given (these places exist due to the requirement of the Gods to the mortals, they told them they would allow anyone to gain their systems, and to facilitate that they decided to regroup most systems into “system markets”), you want to choose very carefully your system. You may also postpone your decision, but even then there might be restrictions on the user’s age in the system’s acquirement conditions. (And vice-versa, there are systems that you cannot get before you reach a certain age.)

And right now, Artemis proposed a system change.

“No, even if the systems are given by the Gods, isn’t that...” (Tris)

“No, it’s perfectly fine, the dungeon told me to transfer your system to his if you want. So there’s absolutely no problem. Also, the dungeon’s system for now is exactly the same as mine, but in the future if you can transfer other systems into his, he’ll keep the positive aspects of the new system and drop any negatives he can find.”

“““““...”””””

“Well you can answer at any time anyways. Also, Finn since you don’t have any system now you can get his and then the one you were waiting for, there won’t be any conflict.”

“... I won’t ask how you know I was waiting for a specific system, but if you say there is no problem...”

“... Yeah, that’s to good to have no catch. So, what’s the catch?”

“Well you are dependent on the dungeon core’s health since it’s [it] that manages that, but you don’t need to be preoccupied by that, otherwise... I guess you’d be asked to continue adventure all around the globe and make everyone yield to [it] is the only catch? But even if you don’t take it you’ll be asked to do that so... there’s not really any catch?” Artemis said while thinking if she could find any.

“... Well, I guess I’m already elbow deep in this dungeon’s things after that ‘blessing’, so I’ll try that system. But only if there’s absolutely no chance at all that there are any problem when I accept that other system.”

There is none.2Mana-infused words in a certain language, the mana translates those words but you cannot lie knowingly while speaking that language. Also the others know you are using that language, which makes it pretty convenient, though a high mana consumption is one of its drawbacks. So that’s one, what about you Tris?”

“Only if nothing goes wrong with Finn’s acceptance of the system.”

“Hey! Aren’t you the most cautious of us usually?” Daler asked in disbelief at this point.

“Well, have you seen where we are? If the dungeon wanted us to do anything it would’ve already forced us to swear to do it, and if it wanted to kill us why reveal so much?”

“Well, maybe that system will rip your soul out of you to give it to the dungeon core?”

“... You do realize the dungeon hears us right? Also there’s no use for it to do such a roundabout way. You did see how Artemis is acting right now.”

“Oh... Right.”

By the time the two finished debating, Finn already arrived in front of a small flat zone (under the guidance of Anemis). He then asked, “So, what do I do?”

“You wait here for about two seconds.”

“Huh? That’s all?”

“Well yeah, now you have Anthesis’ system. Tris, your turn now.”

“... Huh. More convenient than the systems market.”

“Yeah...”

And so, Finn and Tris now have Anthesis’ system.

1174 words! ...as an info dump. x)

So, now you have the full explanation of what a system is in my world. The TL;DR: the [gods] gave them to the mortals to have some (more) control over the population. Each time a system is given to someone, the corresponding [god] can influence you more or less (depending on the balance of the system). If you want more details, I should be able to answer you without too much spoilers. (See also the glossary on Miscellaneous/Systems, but you should wait for the next chapter since I also explain it a bit more then.)

As a side note, did you notice the guild master called Artemis a "God" when Anemis called her a "[god]"? That's normal, and there's a lore behind it.

When would you prefer I start pushing the chapters for the next arc?
  • No delay, put myself in a hiatus when I don't have any chapter anymore Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until I make a backup of 5-10 chapters (maybe put a more precise number in the comments) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until I plan out more the arc (since it would theoretically allow me to write faster) Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Wait until the full arc is written Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, precise in the comments Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1 · This poll was closed on Sep 17, 2020 04:59 PM.
1