Chapter 01 – Entering the dungeon
380 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello, this is my first story.

Feel free to skip this ‘info dump’, though it does include relevant content on the line after the next one (current status), the rest is just me rambling.

I think I’ll keep my current status here, on chapter 1, so newcomers know immediately they need to skip this story :p
More seriously, I'll be soon working on chapter 31.
Since I have school though, I may not be able to continue writing at some point. (For now it's OK, I don't have many homework to do so I'm easily able to continue writing, but the two following years are supposed to be very hard. The workload is starting to increase a bit though.)

I am currently planning on advancing twice per week, meaning either completing a chapter or writing one. In any case, I'm trying to do something to move forward the story on Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm thinking of doing a rewrite of chapter 1 (because it needs one), but not sure if/when I'll be doing it.

... Please don’t have high hopes for the combat scenes on chapter 8, 13 and 14. They aren't exactly ‘good’. x)

In general, for chapter length, I'll try to make it ~1000 words (as of now, except for the first chapter, all are above that count).

And for arc lengths, I have no idea. We'll see how that goes. x)

Arcs

Arc 1: Prologue, chapters 1-10
Arc 2: Curing the disease, chapters 11-23
Arc 3: Jiro's country, chapters 24-current

[collapse]
Chapters length

Chapter 01: 809 words
Chapter 02: 1011 words
Chapter 03: 1050 words
Chapter 04: 1086 words
Chapter 05-1: 1262 words
Chapter 05-2: 814 words (2076 words cumulative)
Chapter 06: 1270 words
Chapter 07: 1112 words - 97 (geek explanations words)
Chapter 08: 1045 words
Chapter 09: 1174 words
Chapter 10: 1045 words
End of arc 1, glossary available without spoiler
Chapter 11: 1033 words
Chapter 12: 1007 words
Chapter 13: 1144 words
Chapter 14: 1040 words
Chapter 15: 1098 words
Chapter 16: 1014 words
Chapter 17: 1030 words
Chapter 18: 1050 words
Chapter 19: 1013 words
Chapter 20: 1003 words
Chapter 21: 1041 words
Chapter 22: 1017 words
Chapter 23: 1191 words
End of arc 2
Chapter 24: 1004 words
Chapter 25: 1084 words
Chapter 26: 1086 words
Chapter 27: 1029 words
Chapter 28: 1305 words
Chapter 29: 1048 words
Chapter 30: 1090 words

The word counts are made by me when writing on LibreOffice Writer. All footnotes are preceded by an extra word ("AN") and I do not count the beginning and ending A/N (when they exist), otherwise the word count should add up to the correct number.

[collapse]

Also, I tried to be new (at least sometimes) and ‘realistic’ (-ish, sometimes things just are the way they are). As an example, no, ‘gobin’ is not a typo, and there is a true ‘logical’ ranking system (explained chapter 10). :p
Also, there is a true (made-up by yours truly) magical language, so you can try to decipher it. (I'm quite certain it won't be easy though. x) ) The words are a mix of English and French, very heavily truncated.
(Side note, I think as of now everything has a lore explanation, but I didn’t check everything. Also, spoilers apply, so y’know, you can ask but the answer might be ‘spoiler, sorry’.)

Please point out each and every mistakes you can nitpick though. :p

(Also, this is my first "real" story ever. I've made an attempt some times ago, but couldn't even manage the 3-chapters, or even 2-chapters if my memory serves me right, size mark.)

Chapter 1 proofread by one of my classmates.

!!! Cliffs warning !!!: this chapter and the following contain cliffhangers!

(All chapters have now been posted.)

“Hey, are you sure this dungeon is D-ranked? It feels waaay too easy for me! No way anyone experienced a bit could die in here even alone, much less a B-ranked party!”

“Well, even if it isn’t the good dungeon, we’ll get paid, so you know...”

“I feel like you’re convinced this is the one though...”
“But you’ll have to admit it’s weird right? I mean, no way a simple door can increase the difficulty that much right?”

“... At least in theory...”1The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference, but in practice there is ;)

Inside a brightly lit zigzagging tunnel with multiple junctions, a group of four people were walking, a sword in their hand. However, as they were about to cross a junction, they heard a hoarse sound likely coming from a dried throat.

“Oh, here is the next group... Why do they keep revealing their position though? Like, seriously?”

“Well, that makes the job easy for us though, so I’m not gonna complain!”

They said as they readied their weapon. As if waiting for that, a small group of humanoid creatures ran from their left. As soon as those humanoids saw the adventurers, they jumped – literally – on them. However being ready, the four managed to kill them very rapidly.

“And once again, no trouble. ...What’s with that face Tris? Are you hurt somewhere?”

“No, but... Everyone, be very careful.”

“Huh? Why is that? There was no problem defeating them though?”

The big man with a sword (Tris) had a very uneasy face.
“Yeah, well... When they attacked us, I deliberately made a ‘mistake’ that should have made my strike miss the one jumping on me, and made it look like it would be an accident, but... the thing got caught by it instead.”

“Wait, so you’re saying that they are actually really making it easier for us? That makes no sense! Unless...”

“Unless the dungeon ordered them so, so we have a false sense of security!” the last woman, who had yet to say anything since the group entered the dungeon, exclaimed. “So that’s what I’ve been feeling since that first encounter!”

An obvious discomfort reigned for a bit in the group, before someone interrupted it.

“Well, it’ll be of no use thinking about it for too long, so how about we continue?”

“... Fine, but refresh the buffs then first.”

“Oh, well, OK. Stand here for a bit then.”

SùdretEntspiSifditkii Drognaa Tygtwak, Drognneiaa chmEeat-Hygepsin-Hygertan.

“There, all good now. Here we go then!” ‘Though that was useless, the effect of my magic pretty much never disappear...’

“Still I don’t feel that much difference between before and now...”

“Well apparently I can’t give you a stronger effect or you would become fixated on your ideas that are ‘always right’ for you and not change your mind, since that would be a change the spell makes you resist...”

“Huh, so it is indeed your unusual magic that makes it so! Knew it you were useless!”

“Uh, well, yeah, but, uh... If you know enough of that language you can do anything you want!”

“But you don’t! And nobody does! It’s just a legend anyways! Mph!

“Really Finn, you should use one of those magic that’s widespread, it’s widespread for a reason you know!”

“... Stop it... I’m not useless...”

And with that, the group continued to fight one another while continuing to move forward (even though Finn looked a bit depressed). At some point however, the healer and mage of the group, Finn, stopped at the sight of a door blending with the wall. The other three continued forward a bit but, noticing a bit too late Finn stopped, they too stopped. Looking back, they saw with a bit of surprise Finn half a step inside the door. They blanked a moment, during which Finn continued to walk in. Just before closing the door, he said, looking back to them, looking sad:

“Well, guess what, it really was the dungeon... Please tell the guild if I don’t come back that even those that are ready to die actually die... ...Jiro, Daler, Tris... it was fun being with you. Please survive at all cost.”

“Wait wait wait, what are you doing Finn!”
“Yeah, come back here! We’ll fight that dungeon together! Hey Finn!”
“Hey I knew you were going to do something stupid! Come back here! If you don’t you’ll really be useless! HEY! FINN!”

But as they tried to reach Finn to pull him out of the door, he slammed it shut with more force than he was supposed to have, and at the same time the door started to disappear. By the time they reached the old location of it, only a solid stone wall was here.

And at the same time the three stopped moving...

809 words and a cliffhanger! :p.

Yeah, that's always a good sign when you can't reach your goal on first chapter x) the next ones are a bit bigger though

How many and who will die?
  • 0: No one Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Finn and that’s it Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3: The three and that’s it Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4: The four and that’s it Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A lot: Literally everyone else on the planet Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: That random who’s walking toward the dungeon Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10: The group of ten random farmers peacefully walking on the opposite side of the planet Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~30,000: The ones in the city in front of the dungeon Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of the above/something else, develop in the comments Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1 · This poll was closed on Sep 1, 2020 06:25 PM.
4