Dressing
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sneaking over I clutched the bowl and plate, leaving the letter to bask in the rapidly vanishing stream of light as the room came to be lit by only the small fire light. Looking about I pulled a low backed chair out from its space beneath the table. Thick borders covered in engravings and illegible words supported its structure. I grasped the foremost outer side managing to slide it across the wooden floor. My strength not as fulfilling as my memories entailed.

Stepping onto the cross patterned seat I barely reached higher than the box’s lid, even as I stood on my toes. My nails thicker than before barely reaching past the skin somehow shining a slight green glow as I looked down to ascertain my balance. It was as the clouds seemed to cover the light outside, even for the few brief moments that I noticed my fingernails and hair followed suit. My skin briefly shining, but like a riverbed of sand and rocks. 

Inconsistent. 

I blinked, all but my toes still hidden in shadows returning to normal as the sunlight once more filled the space outside. I shook my head banishing the new, but eerily familiar sight from my mind as I began investigating the box. 

Pulling it from the wall my hands caught on the polished wood in one of the many intricate grooves. Not to my surprise a similar design as the chair showing that the same crafting style used to achieve what I could only assume as a story box. However one I could not read, despite the letters and inscriptions being of the same kind my letter had been. A sense of cloudiness stretching from my eyes and the metal inscription upon my arm giving off a slight reverberation. 

Marveling at the box I spent a few minutes tracing the shapes with my fingers. One of the most attracting a massive wolf and a winged serpent clashing beneath a starless sky of colors in the night. A variety of wood types showing off their unique colors to portray the scene, while also appearing seamless. My eyes not discerning the gaps that I would expect, the workmanship high above what I had previously assumed.  

Satisfied, I scanned the wolf one last time. Its intricate eyes seeming intoxicatingly real in the moment as I lifted the lid. As It pulled away my mouth opened in shocked disbelief at a familiar, yet alien sight.

Within the box, its interior devoid of the art that covered its exterior. A bundle of silver green wolf fur and a scroll of paper. Gliding my hand over the pelt, invisible spikes of energy seemed to draw my hand closer. I pulled it away as I reached for the rolled up scroll, pulling back and sitting where I had once stood. 

Unrolling the rough paper I found an unfamiliar handwriting, yet the cloudiness in my eyes seemed to focus on these unlike the others as if the intent held within allowed me to grasp their meaning.

 

 

  • Greetings, Young one.
  • I am the one referred to as Elder of the East Gate. Some time ago, Pupil Wender of the Snakes Nine Tails found you within the stomach of a Demon Beast. That is to say for the uninformed that by our clan rules, you are now under our protection. As you will see, we have prepared the Demon Beast’s pelt into suitable attire. It is a long standing belief in our clan, that while weak in the beginning if given the opportunity one shall become strong. The residual energy left in the Moon Wolf’s pelt should help protect you on your path of choice whether a Scholar in craft or one of Divinity. 
  • With the formality over, I’m writing the rest as personal matters between an elder and a young one. While the Moon Wolf’s cultivation was only of the 4th rank, which while quite high is still low for the damage it has done. But after hearing Wender’s report and seeing its odd coloration we believe it to be because of an intervention in its development and not much else. If we could have kept it alive, seeing it develop further would have been beneficial. 
  • Truthfully I wanted to keep the pelt, but after seeing you. Something tells me you’ll need it. While it’s quite large, you should grow into it with time.
  • Elder of the East Gate, Prim Dyne
  • For what it's worth, welcome to the Clan.

 

As soon as I finished the words on the page seemed to vanish from my sight becoming once more unintelligible symbols and shapes. Blinking I tried to take in everything.

A creature's cultivation? Interventions? Clan?

Putting the letter down the words while now gone in my eyes, the meaning they conveyed and the intent put into them seemed to fill the space. The word of clan so unfamiliar and yet now I felt like crying, tears of joy or relief at the sudden change from the desolate place in my memories. Yet an impossible action to portray as they would not come, but the emotion I held attempting to make me want to push forward and fulfill my hidden expectations.

Standing up I reached in with one hand and pulled out the bundled up clothing in one move. My hand clasping a hood revealing as it dangled almost past my feet. 

A cloak.

In the light, the white near silver green fur lined both the interior and exterior. But the treatment of both left their textures very different, even if the fur used on the outside was less the difference was noticeable. The fur that lined the interior was longer and given a thorough treatment that made it fluffy and warm, While the outside fur was shorter and of a rougher more waterproof type as various straps and hanging slings were lined with the material on one side to help grip whatever I chose to wrap them around, whether it be myself or any weapons I might acquire. Looking about I found four of them on its back that could wrap around my arms if needed, their placement closer to the sides.

What type of weapon did wender use, or did he fight the wolf with his bare hands?

I pulled it closer noticing the leather created from the wolf’s skin had a nice green color to it, using it as a durable middle section. It lined the edges and was layered multiple times giving it a heavier feel and appearance, but a sound one that made it feel much more durable. Spinning it around I found six furlined and durable button pockets. The bronze buttons inscribed with unfamiliar symbols whose metal was of a slightly different shaded bronze that matched the leather’s mysterious color. 

I smiled pulling the hood over my head and tucking my arms into the warm indentations within the cloaks sides. I then pulled it closed and clicked the thick chest strap in place, its metal edge locking in place as it tried to pull away from the hook. Managing with it to fit snug. The fur filled spaces acting like a big poofy bed that adjusted for my small size and stopped it from shifting out of place or looking weird. 

I smiled finding a few extra features, such as indentations in the hoods sides that looked like a wolf’s ears, feeling my own ears fit just right in the groove. I reached further back feeling more room and wondering if they made it with such an intention or if it was merely a coincidence. 

Another thing I found that I hadn't noticed before was a leather mask with fur on the sides hanging just inside the hood that I could use to cover my mouth. While lacking the elegance of a fine fabric that could be used such as a veil, it made me feel a bit more secure. Slight indentations into its surface that upon closer inspection mirrored my own teeth. The colorations seemingly burned in making them more prominent, if not larger than my own.

Someone had fun making this. 

I froze suddenly realizing that someone had probably put their fingers in my mouth at some point, but now I was just hoping it was the biggest chance incident yet. After all the wolf had teeth.

 Sliding off the chair the cloak was long enough that it nearly dragged on the floor, only the rough binding edge coming close enough thankfully as I felt it sway against my ankle. From my legs down between slight openings of fur I found more metal latches that when undone doubled the length of my cloak. 

They really thought ahead.

Lifting the sides with my arms I suddenly had the strange feeling of my balance shifting, almost causing me to fall if not for the sturdy bed frame beside me. While it reminded me of the wolf overall. Oddly enough it made me feel secure in this instant.

But now my thoughts break down at me asking what I can do in return for something so sentimental feeling. While another began to wonder how long I’d been asleep. All questions I can’t ask.

Because I still can’t talk…

 

Looking around I found more parchment in a tray beside the desk, a few ash pencils, and a dull knife left by someone. Looking around I grabbed one of the first two, sliding myself back onto the chair in preparation. 

But…

As I brought the pencil to the paper, my hand not quite figuring out how to grasp it. I suddenly realized.

I can’t write.

Now this, this confused me more than everything else. Clearly I had been able to understand the language.

Barely. More through a sleepy stupor.

I could read the words.

Only until you have read them, then they become unreadable.

And now I can’t write.

Once again. I have no way to communicate. Why, how could my body be so cruel.

My ear twitched as I shifted in the chair, the warm fabric subduing it and leaving me with a warm feeling that relaxed my thoughts. I finished putting everything back with a soundless sigh, realizing that while I’m missing the memory I must have enjoyed being able to as its a habit of mine. 

Pulling my hood back, much to my own dismay. But to give me a wider field of view I looked around for something to wear over my new underwear. Cause something itched at my thoughts saying that while the long shirt and cloak would be fine, if someone saw them it would probably be embarrassing. 

Much to my horror, I didn’t find any other clothes as I searched a large and mostly empty wardrobe by the door. Inside a thick and round piece of metal lay, but it was far to heavy for me to lift. In its blurry reflection I found my eyes, which as I leaned in closer for a better view grew from silver to green as the door of the wardrobe cast me in its shadow. 

Pulling back up my hood with a bit of an exaggerated movement of my hand I moved back over to the box, which to my dismay when I looked at the bottom I found a pair of shorts made of a soft cotton. My ability to search having me worried for the future.

While the shirt I was wearing covered to my knees and the underwear were extremely warm, they only covered the important parts. I debated wearing them, the reason I don’t know. But I felt my intuition judge something about these shorts.

I ended up putting them on anyway. Even if they were only slightly longer than what lay beneath them. Although after seeing the indentation of a wolf on the back of the underwear I was grateful for something to cover them.

After that I looked about, the fire dying down as the morning became day. Suddenly feeling confident, and not wanting to stay in the room forever I walked over and grabbed the massive iron ring and pulled open the door. 

 

2000 words strikes again. I'm beginning to wonder if this will be a slice of life with how it's going. No. But it might my brain says. And do you have experience writing said stories. 

The room is silent.

(Didn't proofread. heheheheheheheheehehehe. Should be fine).

0