004 A – Naoko Codependency
44 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         Friends…

         There is no doubt that without Shunichi Rei at my side, I would have been sucked out by an apparition, permanently disappearing in this world. But it’s also because of him, that we’ve been involved in this mess. Too much for a conspiracy, only to end up in a near-demise experience, and too much entertainment, only to waste the time needed to achieve higher aspects in life.

         But even though friends are a pain in the ass, I am glad that I can have one. Is it in my veins to stop myself or in my own belief that having a friend is a foolish move, a reason to stop having friends?

         No, it was simply because friends were what I needed whenever I felt lonely and sad. It doesn’t matter if we break our friendship a little with pointless arguing or separate from each other because of the situation given because I know that no matter what happens, we will come back again and apologize to each other because a friend’s bond is inseparable.

         When I lost everything and came running lost, he came to me and lent me a hand to move forward. Isn’t it foolish that a guy like me had to be saved by a desensitized person like him? But even though, I am grateful because someone like him had come to save me.

         Someday I’ll help him in his need. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but when the time comes, I’ll come in his need to set things straight and make us both even.

         Seriously, I’ve been depending on him so much that I felt ashamed of myself.

         “It’s so hot,” Shunichi said with an agonizing face while also hand fanning himself.

         True enough.

         When midsummer comes, making sure to prepare yourself for the blazing balmy weather that is making it harder to breathe and feel comfortable is necessary, but I don’t mind scorching the days as long as I get to spend the day talking to my best friend.

         Aren’t I devoted to my best friend? Maybe it’s because I never had a friend in the first place when I was a child, brimming with superiority, so I don’t know how to act to a best friend. We’ve been friends for three years but I am still like this.

         I want to laugh.

         “That’s because you’ve been sitting in your chair for an hour. Why won’t we go outside? It’ll be my treat if you want something to drink.” I suggested.

         “Outsides’ hotter than this light-penetrated window, so… no thanks.” He slumped his head on his table, tired.

         It can’t be helped.

         If he doesn’t want to go outside then I’ll just buy him some refreshment to cool his mind. Besides, the more I sweat, the more it felt like I was doing my very best to support my best friend.

         Isn’t it cool? It should be.

         It still doesn’t feel like there is anything we can do about this apparition stuff. Too many complications and every order of information don’t add up to where they belong. Like if apparitions can’t interfere with each other, where is the Yuki-onna? Which is what I just figured after we both attended this school.

         It’s annoying how logical things appear late in my head when the situation has already happened in the past but knowing that I might not be able to ask this question anymore, the more the reason that I should think logical things or it’ll just be another irrelevant thought.

         Why does that happen? Am I forgetting? Am I not smart enough like my parents or are my parents genetically not activating because I hate gambling?

         It should be.

         Gambling when I was in my early childhood was very entertaining, challenging, and exciting. One could even say that when I am gambling, my soul burns brighter making me push through my limits. That was who I am in the past. A prodigy.

         But it doesn’t mean that if I am a prodigy, I am already expected to have a brighter future. Because I, a prodigy, have met my downfall and the beginning of the end happened. I am pretty much a priceless bastard, but I am hoping to be of use to my parents by doing something that could benefit them.

         My parents are pretty nice despite us, not talking a whole lot.

         They accepted me for my failure, my own choices, and what I am. But regardless of those, I was just unable to accept it myself, which was the moment I ran away and Shunichi found me. Although, I like to talk about this kind of thing back and back again. It’s reminiscing.

         Someday, I’ll tell this tale of mine to a certain somebody and surely, we'll be able to feel accomplished in life. Maybe I’d want to be a teacher, after all. Teachers do like to spout a lot about their past days.

         The hallways showed a distinct ordinary feeling of liveliness. The students started to walk in every direction to prepare for their tasks while I could see the other students outside the window, sitting beside the tree or on the bench reading some books.

         After I finally reached the stairs, I went for the vending machine near the window.

         What should I buy? I guess it should be canned coffee, the usual drink for the intellectual ones.

         As I dropped a coin and pushed the canned coffee twice, I could feel a cold shudder in my whole body and because there didn't seem to be any students near the vending machine, I became even frightened.

         Something is wrong here?

         I looked around me to examine the whole place but once I looked behind me, I saw an odd-looking student with some kind of apparition manifesting above him who quickly tried to touch me, but I then grabbed his hand.

         Who is this man and what is that apparition?

         I can’t keep my legs and arms steady. This is just too horrific for me to keep standing straight.

         “Everyone or someone out there, I need some help!” I clenched my hand to force his hand to stop moving, but as I shouted for help, I suddenly fell down my knees, and without any strength, my eyes started to close itself.  

         What is happening?

         I… I can’t move anymore.

Shunichi… I am sorry I’ve become a burden again.

23