Ch 2:Meeting of Queens, Kings, and an Overlord’s Priestess
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Long ago, Elementa was a planet whose constant wars kept its people from ever achieving space travel. Its five races fought for control of the war-ravaged surface for many thousands of generations. Each race was gifted with the ability to manifest and manipulate the elements around them. What set the races apart was the different elements each one of them had control of.

   After a massive world war that had wiped out 80% of all Elementi, the planet Elementa was visited by ambassadors of the Jhori Quadrant. These ambassadors gathered the remaining Elementi leaders and amazed them with their advanced technology. They assured the Elementi that if they served the Jhori then they would no longer have to worry about famine, disease, or war.

   Elementa’s lands had been so decimated by war it failed to produce crops. So, the Elementi agreed without question and the Jhori chose kings and queens who would rule their people under Jhori law. Then the Jhori set about terraforming Elementa’s moons. One for all five races of Elementi. The moons were to be terraformed to the liking of each race.

   Luna was home to the Lunanites, who were gifted with power over water. Their moon was covered in an ocean filled with small islands. It was the only moon with ice caps at its poles.

   Onyxia was home to the Onyxians, who were gifted with power over certain solid minerals. Their moon was covered in a large desert that went around the equator and had rock covered mountains at its perimeter that continued all the way to its poles.

   Aeros was home to the Aerosi, who were gifted with power over the air. Their moon was covered in a large jungle with large steep mountains and wide rivers that stretched through the valleys. Their cities and villages were constructed on the tops of these mountains.

   Pyra was home to the Pyrans, who were gifted with power over fire. Their moon contained all manner of landscapes. The first King of Pyra deciding it was best that his warriors train in all environments.

   Imperia was home to the Imperians who were gifted with power over electricity. Their moon was also created similar to Pyra. Mysteriously though, it was covered in a never-ending storm that rained so hard at times it could leave whelps on one’s flesh. The storm also produced constant lightning that its warriors were trained to harness. This training produced some of the finest warriors the Elementi had ever known.

   Each planet was issued rations for its people and could earn more by having their warriors fulfill contracts from Jhori supporters. These supporters would put high prices on the conquering of different worlds to expand the Jhori Quadrant. At times, these supporters were in competition with one another. This left the Elementi to be pitted against each other once again. They were instructed not to kill fellow Elementi, but it was not long before Jhori supporters started paying extra to eliminate troublesome competition.

   This is what led to the establishment of the three Jhori Agencies. All three of which were directly monitored by democratically appointed members. Putting a stop to inner turmoil and dividing up the work into three different sectors of the ever growing Jhori Quadrant.   

   With the creation of the Jhori Agencies, the Jhori Academies soon followed. The Elementi built their Jhori Academy on the planet Elementa itself. After several generations of not being torn apart by wars, the planet was once again producing vegetation. Giving wildlife a chance to flourish.

   It was all too late for the Imperians, who never ended up sending any of their children to the academy. They had grown weary of serving the Jhori and wanted out. They made peace treaties with the other Elementi and stopped applying for Jhori contracts. The Jhori in turn stopped all supplies from arriving on Imperia. The Imperians had anticipated this. They had planted enough gardens and were able to fish their seas in order to keep their people well fed. They prospered and lived in peace, but this would only last for a few years.

   The Jhori resented losing such a powerful asset and did not want the other Elementi to follow their example. They wound up putting a generous bounty on every Imperian citizen. Double if they were warriors, and triple if they were brought in alive.

   The royals of the other Elementi did what they could to keep their warriors from turning in Imperians for the bounty, but eventually the Elementi found themselves in the bloodiest and cruelest war it had ever known.

   The Imperians were forced to flee their home as they could not guarantee the safety of its citizens while they remained in the Jhori Quadrant.

   King Farak Thunderfist was ruling at that time. He led his 300-ship caravan far out of the Jhori Quadrant and settled on a planet void of sentient life, and he named it Farako. Fearing the Jhori would one day come to conquer them, Farak set about building an empire as quickly as he could to defend his people against their old rulers. He could not risk losing what few warriors he had left. So, rather than trick or force planets into serving him, Farak took a more businesslike approach.

   He would display the capabilities of his warriors in an exhibition tournament that the citizens of the planet could attend free of charge. After the tournament, the inhabitants would often be either overly joyed to have such protection or too horrified to object to such powerful beings.

   Before Farak died, he had peacefully taken control of nine more star systems and with them he created the Farak Quadrant. His son Lesnar, however, was hungry for blood, war, and revenge.

   Lesnar declared himself Overlord Lesnar Thunderfist and executed a full-scale attack on the Jhori Elementi that had betrayed the Imperians many years prior. Several Elementi died on both sides before Lesnar was finally sent back to the Farak Quadrant with his forces and ships depleted.

   This civil war amongst the Elementi would continue for several generations until a young man named Darex Thunderfist inherited the mantle of Overlord and ended the Elementi civil war.

   That was 25 Jhori years ago. Now, the Jhori and Farako Quadrants continue to grow, and with each new system they add, they become ever closer to one another. Several Elementi fear that another bloody civil war is just on the horizon.

 

 

   Only one room in one of the many towers of a great palace was dimly lit as the members of different Elementi royal families filled the seats of a large octagon table. They had been made to wait and were only told that this meeting was strictly confidential. Which is why they met on the abandoned moon of Imperia.

   As of now the room held only five of the seven kings and queens that currently reigned over the Elementi.

   “This meeting was their idea and they decide to be late?” Asked the king of the Lunanites, King Davus Tidal. He was a large man with a thick black beard and wild eyebrows. His long black hair was pulled back into a tight braid that fell over his shoulder and reached his belt. He wore bright blue garments that showed off an impressive physique.

   “King Jrax, you have something to do with this. What is the hold up?” Asked Princess Lissie Monsoon. Her silver hair was cut short which was a common style and color for an Aerosi. She had tight black leather shorts on with long white tassels. Her shirt was also tight black leather that had the same long white tassels down her sleeves. She felt her presence was necessary at this meeting since her parents wanted nothing to do with it. They had feared that this meeting might be of anti-Jhori relations.

   “I know that you will want to hear what this envoy has to say,” King Jrax Ferno replied sharply. His dark black hair spiked out in all manner of directions. Much like his firstborn Dravon, Jrax almost always seemed to have an unpleasant look on his face. He was thin for a warrior of his prestige. Though, no one doubted that it made him any less dangerous as an adversary. He wore a dark blue jacket that was buttoned up and matched his dark blue pants.

   The door opened and a shorter woman with all white eyes entered the room. Her pitch-black skin was covered in bright white dots that made her look as though she had the night sky painted upon her body. Her hair was black and purple, and it curled down to her knees. As for clothing she wore very little.

   “Greetings kings and queens. My name is Lys. I am a priestess who currently serves Overlord Darex Thunderfist on his quest to free his people, your people, from the Jhori’s grip.” She said without looking at anyone directly. Making some wonder if her all white eyes was a sign that she was blind.

   “My parents were right! This is treason!” Lissie yelled as she got up to leave.

   Her path soon became blocked by Jrax, “You may not be a queen, but you will act like one today. Now sit your ass down until the rest of the royals have adjourned this meeting,” he said pointing at her seat.

   Lissie crossed her arms and sat back down.

   Lys continued as if nothing had happened, “We have spies within the Jhori capital. What some of you have feared has come to fruition. The Jhori Leaders mean to brainwash your children against you! They teach a doctrine that spits on the old ways! The ways of your people! Nothing is sacred to them, and if you oppose, if you decide to claim your independence. They will banish you and turn your own kind against you!”

   The royals all looked around nervously. None of them knew how far the others would be willing to go if it came to rebellion.

   “Overlord Darex Thunderfist sent me to offer a peace treaty. He wants to unite the Elementi once again. Unite your races and claim independence from Jhori oppression! Do it now while the Farak Quadrant is ruled by such a wise and powerful Overlord! Do it before they send you into another civil war against each other!” Lys said with sincerity in her voice.

   “Darex’s predecessor, King Farak, tried this before and was banished for it!” Yelled Lissie.

   “That’s because the other Elementi left them out to dry!” Shouted King Jrax, “We could have all been free over 300 years ago.”

   King Harley Stone of the Onyxians cleared his throat loudly. “Jrax, I know we have lost certain liberties. We were a ruthless and devastatingly powerful warrior race. They have good reason to keep a close eye on us,” he said with a croaky voice. Elementi reached full maturity at age 15 and retain their youth until the age of 70. Both his wife Queen Fria and he showed no resemblance to their youthful selves now that they were well past 70. Once revered as elite warriors, they only had little of the prowess they once possessed. Queen Fria put her hand over his to let him know she supported him no matter what.

   “I’m sorry you feel that way,” Jrax said as he pointed at Harley with a tiny bright flame at the tip of his finger. Everyone in the room was aware of how lethal Jrax could be with even the smallest of flames. He could send a small spark right through a person by increasing its density and shooting it with enough velocity.

   “What is the meaning of this?!” Asked Fria. The old queen wore a similar dark green robe as her husband. Her eyes were wild as she gave Jrax a fierce glare.

   “It’s alright, Fria,” Harley said never looking away from Jrax. “Jrax, you called this meeting together in an effort to promote peace. How long did it take for you to threaten to harm someone?” Harley rubbed his long white beard. His dark skin was wrinkled and bore many scars. He was the oldest of the royals by quite a lot. Especially since Lissie’s parents did not attend the meeting.

   Jrax lowered his hand, “A close eye you say. Is that all that’s going on?” He asked. Then he looked over to the priestess, “Well are you going to tell them, or should I?”

   Lys nodded, “What Jrax speaks of is the execution of Jhori initiative 36b. It involves several plans to eradicate the Elementi. They don’t ever want more than they can control. There haven’t been any wars between the Elementi since Darex inherited the mantle of Overlord. It’s because of this that the Jhori Leaders are now concerned with lowering your population,” she said as she threw small cubes onto the table that displayed holographic documents. Each one mentioned several ways in which the Elementi’s numbers could be diminished.

   All the royals started to read through the holograms, and they did not like what they saw. Detailed accounts of how to slowly introduce weakening poisons into their food. Some pages listed weapons that would be best suited against each type of Elementi.

   “I think I’m going to be sick,” Queen Marcel said as she saw images of Elementi prisoners being subjected to different experiments. She wore a blue dress that glistened in the light and matched her luscious blue hair. Her marrying King Davus had been a scandalous affair due to her non-warrior status. Many Lunanites feared this would weaken the royal bloodline, but their four children would prove that that would not be the case.

   “This doesn’t make any since! We’ve always been loyal! The Aerosi have always been loyal! This is your fault!” Lissie yelled at Jrax. “Those damn Imperians! They’re out there attacking Jhori planets and now we are the ones that will be punished! If their foolish ancestors had never tried to stand up to them, then we wouldn’t be in this predicament!”

   “It’s clear to me now that Darex’s predecessors have always been in the right!” Davus snapped at Lissie. He then turned to face Jrax. “The Lunanites will stand beside you, cousin.”

   “That’s good to hear, Davus. I knew I could count on you. I think we know where the Aerosi stand,” Jrax said while giving Lissie a dirty look. “What about you King Harley? Are you going to be able to sleep at night knowing that your people are being slaughtered just because they are capable of defending themselves against the Jhori’s pitiful military?”

   Harley took a long deep breath. Fria stood up beside him and spoke on his behalf, “My husband and I have seen the horrors of war firsthand. Darex’s father sought revenge for his people’s banishment on a near yearly basis. We grew up in constant fear. We eventually lost all six of our children. All of them deemed heroes and in the hall of legends,” she paused as her eyes began to water. “I’d give anything for them to have been cowards! I wish they would have been born with no skill whatsoever!”

   The room fell silent as tears fell down Fria’s wrinkled cheeks, “I pray that none of you have to carry the burden of losing a child. However, it will be inevitable if you go to war with the Jhori,” she then looked directly at Jrax, “You may as well kill them yourself!”

   “It’s already inevitable!” Jrax snapped back, “The proof is on display right before your very eyes!”

   “There is always an alternative to war. There must be,” said Harley, “It seems clear to me that the Jhori are prepared for it. If not anticipating it! How do we know we aren’t playing right into their hands? This woman is wise in the ways of espionage. How do we know she isn’t a spy for the Jhori?” Harley waited for a response, but no one spoke up. “The Onyxians will not go to war with the Jhori,” Harley announced loudly, “And I pray, and I hope with all my heart, that we are not forced into war against each other.”

   Suddenly the door came crashing open and a very large man could be seen in the opening. He wore a tan sleeveless leather shirt that showed off bulging veiny muscles. He had short bright blonde hair with large blonde bushy sideburns. Everyone aside from Harley and Fria stood up and got into a defensive stance. His face was stern, and his eyes were bright blue. Giving him a cold and uninviting presence.

   “My kings and queens! I present to you, Overlord Darex Thunderfist!” Lys announced to the room.

  “You have a lot of nerve showing up here!” Yelled Fria.

   Darex looked at her with his cold blue eyes and walked over to her.

   Everyone was on edge. Only Jrax had ever actually seen Darex before. They had all heard the terrible stories of what his family and he did in the past. Jrax nearly fought him on the battlefield 25 years ago in one of the last battles.

   “War is upon us,” said Darex. His voice was deep, dark, and yet soothing, “It will come, and no amount of praying, or hoping, is going to change that.”

   “So, you came here to declare war then?” Asked Lissie. Where the other royals had somewhat relaxed, she stayed in her stance and was ready to attack.

   “No,” he responded, “My envoy is fully capable of delivering that message. I have declared war on the Jhori, and any who choose to blindly follow them,” then he turned to Harley and Fria, “The only reason that I stand before you today is to do something I could never send an envoy to do.”

   Harley quickly clenched his fist and manipulated some special stone marbles he kept on a bracelet. The marbles quickly assembled into the shape of a large shield that Harley held up to protect his wife and himself. Everyone else also took measures to defend themselves should they need to.

   Darex went to his knees and bowed down until his face was on the ground.

   “I came to apologize for killing your two sons.” He spoke from the floor.

   Harley released the stone shield and it turned back into marbles that all fell to the floor. Everyone was stunned. From all the tales they had heard, asking for forgiveness was never included in any of them. Seeing such a large man put himself into such a humbling position was certainly a sight none would soon forget.

   “I came to apologize for my father, who was responsible for the death of all your children. I would never expect a mother to forgive her son’s murderer. All I ask is that you think about the future of our people. Your grandchildren deserve the chance to explore the galaxy as they please. Not be imprisoned here only to be sent out on contracts for the betterment of the Jhori Quadrant!” Explained Darex. He rose and bowed once more. “War is upon us. When the time comes you will either stand by your people, or you will stand against them.” With that said, he and Lys left the room.

   Everyone sat in awkward silence before Fria huffed and said, “Only a man like Darex could fail to see the irony of apologizing to someone and threatening them all in the same breath.”

   “The Jhori want us dead. Darex wants us to live. I don’t see what’s so hard about this.” Jrax reasoned.

   “I would try to offer my wisdom, but I can see it will only fall on deaf ears,” Harley said sadly, “Apparently, it only takes a single generation of peace to sweep up the tragedies of the past.”

   “Then I believe this meeting is adjourned.” Jrax said sharply as he took a swig from his flask.

   The royals all filed out of the room with silent caution. No one could be certain if or when one of them would soon be forced to kill another.

 

 

1