Ch 9:Pissed Off Princess
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   “Mayhaps it was a trick of the eye.” Ryllah suggested. They had been looking for the person that Marilyn claimed to have seen for most of the night. Wulfo’s sun was splashing green across the horizon as it rose to end the night. Night’s on Wulfo were much longer than on Farako. They were both relieved to finally see dawn come.

   “Mayhaps it was.” Marilyn agreed. It was bizarre to be in a city with skyscrapers and no people. Everything was still clean and well maintained.

   “Hold up!” She yelled.

   “What is it? You see someone?” Asked Ryllah.

   “Not someone! Something!” Marilyn exclaimed as she pointed at something further down the street.

   Ryllah had to squint her eyes to see it. Once she did, she gave an excited squeal. “Is that what I think it is?!”

   “A ruby red airbike!” Marilyn answered.

   The girls rushed over to it and stood in awe.

   “This is the sexiest piece of machinery I have ever seen in all my life,” Marilyn said sounding as if she was in some kind of trance.

   “Seriously. So, you think you can get it to start?”

   “Let’s find out!” Marilyn said as she hopped on. “If I started a sexy speed machine where would I be?” She found several buttons in all manner of odd shapes. “And what in the abyss would I look like?” She started pressing them all starting from the top but got no response.

   “Come on, Marlana!” Marilyn yelled.

   “Don’t name it! You’re going to get attached!” Ryllah warned her. “Remember the big green friendly cat beast that preferred to stay with its family than get on the scary spaceship with you?”

   “Lazavar!” Marilyn cried out in a whiny voice.

   “Yeah! I can see this being Lazavar all over again.”

   “No, it won’t!” Marilyn replied, stomping on different pedals, and pushing different combinations of buttons. “Marlana wouldn’t do that!”   Suddenly the engine kicked on and the vehicle went flying forward extremely fast. Marilyn was barely able to hang on as the airbike raced down the empty street. She released what she assumed was accelerating the vehicle and slowed down as anticipated.

   After she got the hang of the controls, she went back to pick up Ryllah.

   When she did, she saw that Lucius had somehow caught up to them and was sitting next to Ryllah on a street bench.

   “I thought you were going to guard the ship,” she said bitterly to Lucius.

   “Your father gave pretty strict instructions. Like it or not, you are stuck with me.”

   “Ugh. Like it not,” Marilyn said as she patted the seat behind her, signaling Ryllah to hop on.

   Ryllah hopped on the seat and gave the same signal to Lucius.

   Marilyn was quick to protest. “There’s not enough room for three!”

   “Sure there is!” Ryllah exclaimed in her usual perky voice. “We’ll just have to squinch a little!”

   Lucius hopped on behind Ryllah and the airbike started to hover only half the distance it once had been from the ground.

   Marilyn stomped on the acceleration and the momentum stopped after only a couple paces. Soon after that the engines shut off and the airbike fell back to the ground.

   “No! No! NO! You did not just kill Marlana!” Marilyn said angrily pushing more buttons.

   “Are you from Farako?!” Echoed a creaky voice from one of the buildings.

   They looked around at the buildings that stood anywhere from 16 to 30 stories high for the source of the voice but could not pin down its exact whereabouts due to the echo.

   “Yes! We are here to help!” Marilyn yelled out.

   A head popped out a seventh story window of one of the nearby buildings. “Come in here! It isn’t safe on the streets!”

 

   The three rushed into the building and were greeted by several Wulfo natives that called themselves Liplees. Their skin tones varied from light orange, yellow, and light green. They were all quite a bit shorter and smaller framed than the Elementi.

   Several of them seemed incredibly happy to see them. Children came up and grabbed their hands to escort them up the stairs.

   The first couple stories were all open with different shops lined up along their perimeters. All the shops were closed, and every light was off. Large stairs started at the center of the room and lead to the second floor. More stairs could be seen along the walls of the other two floors. The shops had large windows but due to the proximity of the other buildings it did little to let in the green sunlight. 

   Marilyn saw a mother hug her baby with tears of joy.

    “These people are truly scared for their lives.” She commented.

   “We are the few who didn’t get on their slaving ships.” Said one of the older girls guiding them up the stairs. She was one of the few bright orange Liplees that were to be seen in the building. Her dark blue hair curled down the back of her black overalls. The overalls were covered in all kinds of grease splattered stains.

   “Doing that’s a death sentence sure as sunrise. Plaquar slavers have been kidnapping our women for their pleasure trade for hundreds of   years. We are a favorite because we are not well equipped for defending ourselves. It’s why the elders opted for us to join the Farak Quadrant. As soon as the Zephyr’s arrived, our world was unbothered by the Plaquar. Now it seems as though they wish to enslave us all and sell our home for the highest price.” Her bright yellow eyes began to water.

   “I’m so sorry.” Said Ryllah. She grabbed the girl’s hand to try and comfort her. “What’s your name?”

   “Luli. My father was the Zephyr’s mechanic. I was apprenticing him when we got attacked.” She said as she started to sniffle. 

   No one dared to pry her for more information due to the sadness in her voice. They went up several more flights of stairs in solemn silence.

 

   When they arrived, they saw why it was preferred for them to come up the stairs to meet Elder Jo rather than him come down. The old Liplee was confined to a wheelchair. He rolled up to them as soon as they walked in through the door.

   “It’s so good to see you have arrived!” He said with the sound of hope in his words.

   “What happened here?” Asked Lucius.

   “Sit! Sit!” Elder Jo insisted.

   The three looked around and noticed there wasn’t a chair. So, they sat on the rug laid out in the middle of the floor.

   “Around 20 days ago a large alien ship landed outside our capital, Fwahla. The city we are in now. Three beings with powerful skills declared this planet now belonged to them. I was there working for Lord Telmont Aeros and his family.” He started to choke up and his large glassy eyes started to water. “Lord Telmont went out to fight them and did a noble job. He was doing well against their leader, who calls himself, Horble. Then, all of a sudden, Telmont was engulfed in shadow and seemed incapable of moving. Lady Kara tried to assist him but was too late.” He paused and wiped tears from his eyes with a cloth.

   “By the time she got there, Horble had stuck his arm through Telmont’s stomach. I’ll never forget the way she screamed. She was able to avoid the shadows and fought very courageously. It wasn’t enough however, and she too became overwhelmed by the invaders. Before she left to aid Lord Telmont, she entrusted her children to me. I did my best to save them both. Somehow one of the invaders was able to track us down.” Elder Jo’s eyes began to tear up more than ever. He sniffled a couple times before continuing.

   “My apologies. Young Lady Kareena was the eldest of the children. I cared for her all her life. She was a sweet girl and had no love for fighting, despite her father insisting she train every day. She could wield lightning like her mother. She stayed behind to fight off the beast woman that was able to track us down. We all had high hopes that she would defeat her and rendezvous back with us.

   “After two days a couple brave volunteers ventured back up to the Zephyr palace to see what had become of her. Long before they arrived at the palace, they spotted three tall poles through their long-distance lenses. On each pole was a different head of the Zephyr family. She sacrificed herself so her little brother and several palace staff could escape. I brought Master Phuro here and hid him. They’ve since sent troops to search this city, but with lookouts we can utilize underground passages that they are unaware of. Thankfully though, they have recently given up their search.”

   Marilyn had heard enough. “Where are these assholes?” She demanded as she stood up.

   “They moved their enormous craft to the mountains beside the Zephyr palace. Large slaver ships landed outside all the major cities the next day. Anyone who doesn’t board the ships suffers the same fate.” He said with disgust.

   “Don’t worry, Jo. Your people will never be slaves while I’m still breathing.” Marilyn assured the small old man.

   “Thank you, my lady. Lord Telmont told me about several of Overlord Darex’s amazing generals. Which one are you?”

   “I am Princess Marilyn Thunderfist. I am no doubt stronger than any of the generals you have heard of.”

   Lucius rolled his eyes. He knew the princess was indeed powerful, but she had never truly been put to the test.

   “Your highness! My apologies! I am so honored and gracious you came!” He finally broke out into full blown tears. “Please thank your father, the Great Overlord Darex Thunderfist for me the next time you see him!”

   “Oh, will do!” Marilyn said sarcastically. She was still a little raw on the topic of her father.

   “When you defeat these wretched invaders. What will become of Phuro?”

   “We will take Phuro back to Farako to be raised by Elementi.” Stated Lucius. “Another lord will be sent out to better protect your world. Overlord Darex also expects no payments until after the new lord has restored peace to Wulfo for a full Farako-year.”

   “How gracious! Thank you! Thank you!”

   “Elder Jo, did Telmont ever mention a certain General Lucius Storm?” Lucius asked trying to impress the girls.

   “He spoke of them often, but never mentioned any Lucius. Why?”

   Ryllah and Marilyn both erupted with laughter.

   “No reason.” He said somberly as he followed the giggling girls out the door.

 

 

   Marilyn watched intently as Luli showed her how to properly work Marlana.

   “You seem to know quite a bit about this machinery. How quick do you think you could learn how to fix a starship?”

   Luli chuckled. “If you’re talking about a job in the stars, sister you can count me in! Lord Telmont taught my father how to fix and maintain the Zephyr starship. I’ve only been on it twice, but I used to read the blueprints till I fell asleep every night! I always dreamed Kareena and me..” She paused in a pained moment of recollection. “Lady Kareena promised she’d take me off Wulfo one day. She was my best friend.”

   Marilyn looked over at her own best friend who appeared to be flirting with her fiancé. She smiled as she thought about how much she cherished having her in her life.

   “Well, on behalf of my fellow Elementi I promise to keep the promise she made to you. I also promise to save your people from a life of enslavement. Then I will avenge the Zephyrs. I mean I’m going to beat this guy to a bloody pulp! You know… If you are into that kind of thing.”

   Luli’s sad face morphed into a smile. “Can you get pictures?”

   Marilyn also could not help but smile, “I’ll see what I can do.”

   “Give ‘em hell, Princess!” She exclaimed as she wiped tears from her cheeks.

 

 

   “So, does she have a plan?” Lucius asked.

   “Marilyn only ever has one plan.” Responded Ryllah. “Jump in and bring on the chaos.”

   “That doesn’t sound like the best course of action.” Lucius said as he dug through his pockets for a joint. When he pulled it, out Ryllah raised an eyebrow.

   “What’s in that?” She inquired.

   “Some calming leaves, a little bitterberry for flavor, and,” Lucius paused and looked over at Marilyn who seemed plenty distracted at the moment, “And some lovegrass to take the edge off.”

   “Lovegrass? I love lovegrass!” Ryllah said as she swayed back and forth hugging herself. “Makes you all warm and fuzzy inside.”

   Lucius stuck it in his mouth and lit it with a tiny jolt of electricity from his finger. “Would Marilyn want any? If ever there was a more likely candidate for needing some, I haven’t met them.”

   After Lucius took a couple puffs Ryllah grabbed it from his mouth. “Nah.” Then she leaned in and spoke softly out the side of her mouth. “She’s a straightedge.”

   “I suddenly feel as if a bolt of lightning is coming my way.” Lucius said with a gulp.

   “She doesn’t mind if other people partake. She is like her father in that she believes in freedom. She just hates it when I call her straightedge.” Ryllah said a little too loud.

 

   “What?!” Marilyn yelled over as she revved up the airbike. “What are you two talking about over there?”

   “Nothing, darling!” Ryllah sang as she danced back to the airbike still puffing on the joint.

   “Is that thing going to hold all of us?” Lucius was hesitant to ask.

   “Unfortunately, yes. Not only did I need to make a simple weight adjustment on the bike, but the seat also extends back.” Marilyn explained as she adjusted to make room for all three to sit comfortably.

   “Why can’t we just have Kembro pick us up?” Lucius asked as he got on.

   “Because genius! If my ship gets shot down, then we could be stranded here.” Marilyn snapped. “And because Marlana is the flashiest and sexiest looking vehicle I’ve ever seen.”

   “And we believe this to be a desirable trait?” He asked.

   “I have a thing about making a good entrance, Lucius! Don’t mess with my entrance!” Marilyn yelled back.

   “Don’t mess with the girl’s entrance!” Ryllah echoed.

   Lucius took a deep breath, “There’s not enough drugs or alcohol in the galaxy to undo the damage you two are going to instill on my nerves before this is all said and done.”

 

 

 

 

 

2