Ch 19:A New King
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

           It had been several days since what was now being referred to as the great exodus. A third of the students at the Jhori Academy had also left. The academy had been closed until further notice due to the recent events.

            Jessa had everything going for her and had been approached by more than one agency after their win at the last tournament. Then Elementa and all her moons were put to a halt as reports of the large evacuation started coming in. Anyone who remained was quarantined. All Elementi were considered threats for the time being.

           Like Jessa, Kolzer and Hiali were also still on Elementa after the mass evacuation.

           

           “And just as we were making our way to the top!” Kolzer complained about for a fourth time.

            “You know, I’ve been giving this a lot of thought.” Hiali replied. “More than a walking boulder like you is probably capable of, but lucky for you. You have me.” She said with a dark tone.

            Kolzer shook his head and resumed pacing in the field where they liked to meet for practice.

            “If all the royals are gone, and all the elites went with them. Then we just became very valuable assets to the Jhori Quadrant. After all, if Jhori decides it needs to retaliate, who do you think they’re sending to the frontlines?”

            Kolzer stopped his pacing and Jessa, who was leaning against the lone tree, slid down till she was sitting in the ground. It had just dawned on them. If they were recruited by an agency. They would without a doubt be sent to hunt down their old classmates. Their classmate’s parents. In some cases, they would even be hunting down their old kings and queens.

            “This doesn’t necessarily mean war, Hiali.” Said Jessa. Even though she said it aloud, it did not make the fear go away. Fear that felt like ice water was poured on top of her. Fear that put knots in her stomach.

            “May as well come to terms with it, fearless leader. You got exactly what you wanted, didn’t you? With the elites gone, you’re definitely a top tier warrior now!” Hiali shouted.

            “What is your deal?” Kolzer thought he had built up an immunity to Hiali’s cynical attitude. Today was different. “Jessa didn’t cause any of this!”

            “Relax, Kolzer.” Jessa said coolly. “That’s just her way of coping. We’re all kind of floating around in limbo. Not knowing what the future holds for us. It’s maddening.”

            Hiali stormed off, angry and embarrassed of herself.

            Kolzer put his hands in his pockets and sat cross legged in front of Jessa. “You think he is gone too?” He asked.

            “You know he is. They’re all gone. All except the Onyxian and Aersosi Kings and Queens. Even the majority of their families scurried off with the rest.” She answered bitterly.

            “Crazy right? What are you going to do if you have to face him on the battlefield?”

            “I knew you were going to ask me that ridiculous question! I have no idea, Kolzer. I’m just hoping for now that day never comes.” Jessa could feel her eyes begin to water.

            “It never will.” Said Jraken. He was standing several paces away with Hiali by his side.

            “Look who I found.” Hiali said dryly. Though, even she could not hide how happy she was to see him.

            Jessa promptly got up and ran to embrace him. “You stayed!?” Her eyes were now bursting with tears.

            “I guess you could say I needed to see about a potentially vested interest.” He replied.

            Did he stay for me? Jessa felt the guilt of her emotional manipulating all over again. At the same time though, she was deeply moved by his gesture. She looked into his bright violet eyes. She could practically feel the yearning that shook behind them. Its vibration resonated within her. Why in the abyss not?

            She leaned in and kissed her admirer. Kolzer gave a loud “Whoo!” and clapped his hands while Hiali rolled her eyes and tried to hide her smile.

            Jraken soaked in the moment of his first kiss as best as he could. He certainly felt like he had earned it.

           

            “Alright, spill it.” Hiali demanded. “Where have you been and what the dungheap happened to Pyra Palace?”

            The four students decided to walk to the cafeteria to celebrate their reunion over some lunch.

            “Well, it collapsed after I kicked my father through it. To be fair though, it had already sustained a ton of damage. It was coming down anyway.” Jraken said nonchalantly. “As for where I’ve been. Apparently, I overexerted myself in my battle with my father. So much so that my body couldn’t handle the amount of energy I was producing. In response it ate away at my muscles. Today is the first day I’ve been able to walk. Before today I was bedridden at Skyla’s campus residence.”

            “Bed ridden with Instructor Skyla? You’re getting all the babes now, aren’t you?” Hiali teased.

            “We heard there was a battle on the roof before it fell. That was you and King Jrax?” Asked Kolzer.

            “Yeah. My old man was just not going to take no for an answer. So, we got into it. He tried to kill me. I was then forced to kill him. Story as old as time.”

            Jessa put her hand on his shoulder. “I’m glad you stayed, Jraken. We all are.”

            Jraken smiled, “I’m glad I did too.”

 

            They arrived in the cafeteria and Jraken instantly felt the gaze of every person in the room. One student who was standing in line started to clap. Then several other students chimed in until everyone was standing and clapping.

            “Is this because we won that match?” Jraken asked.

            “I don’t think so.” Jessa told him.

            Tyke and Kortro stepped forward.

            “We all know you probably had the chance to leave with the rest of the royals and elites. The fact that someone as talented as you is still here, proves that you chose to stay. You are a true king, Jraken!” Kortro said as he walked over and lifted Jraken’s hand into the air.

            “Long live King Jraken!” He shouted.

            “Long live King Jraken!” The congregation repeated.

            Somehow, it had not occurred to Jraken that he was now the King of Pyra. He didn’t have to time to put too much thought into it because a voice soon came over the intercom announcing that everyone was to meet at the arena for an update on what had transpired.

            “What’s to know? A bunch of pretentious people left. Big deal.” Tyke blurted out. “Oh! Sorry, King Jraken! I mean you’re cool and all. Just the people that left.”

            “It’s fine.” Jraken assured him. “Maybe we’ll find out when they’re going to lift this quarantine.” Though, he was far more concerned with having to leave the academy than being stuck at it. Now that he was a king, he would be forced to stay on Pyra to protect and govern his people.

 

            The students all gathered in the arena and awaited the foretold announcement. Several students could be seen counting heads. Not everyone was entirely sure who left in the great exodus and who had just been quarantined on their home worlds.

            Skyla walked out, followed by fellow instructors Haizo and Lloyd per usual.

            “These are dark times for the Jhori Quadrant!” She proclaimed loudly. “These are dark times for your people. I will do everything I can to see to it that you do not get thrown into the same foolish civil war that cursed your elders!”

            A couple of students started to cheer and eventually everyone else followed suit. No one wanted to go to war with their fellow Elementi.

            “In dark times such as these we must always find a light. A light to blaze a path for us. A light that can’t be put out by the dark ideologies that mean to tear down the fabric of civilization!

            “In these dark times we have such a light. Could I have Jraken Ferno down to the arena please?”

            All the students cheered as Jraken stood up and walked down the steps to get to the arena. He walked up the stairs of the arena and stood beside Skyla. Haizo and Lloyd both patted him on the back and nodded approvingly.

            “After his insatiable victory at the last tournament,” Skyla paused to let the students cheer for a moment. “The young prince was left with an impossible decision. His father, the late King Jrax, is now known to be the culprit behind the great exodus!”

            Everyone booed. Jraken could not help but feel responsible for his father. Though, he had no idea why.

            “He demanded that his sons Dravon and Jraken leave with him. Prince Jraken refused. He knew that Jhori philosophy could never support such a heartless act! We of the Jhori believe that all sentient life matters! Jraken also believes this! He put his life on the line to try and stop the great exodus!”

            Jraken was not sure how true that was. It seemed to him that ships were instructed to leave long before he got there. However, he did not want to interrupt Instructor Skyla. He assumed that perhaps she herself did not know any better.

            “Which is why that even though he is now a king, I will petition to make sure he can serve as a Jhori Agent should he choose to do so!”

            Everyone cheered once again. With his increased popularity everyone wanted what was best for him. No one wanted him to be stuck on Pyra if he did not want to be. Most students who had accepted the fact they may soon be in a war were incredibly happy to hear they would have a warrior like Jraken fighting by their side.

            Jraken was happiest of all to hear the news. He absolutely did not want to be stuck on Pyra. All he wanted was to be wherever Jessa was.

            “What say you King Jraken? Would you join an agency upon graduation?”

            She held the microphone in front of his face. Jraken only had eyes for Jessa as he proudly said, “Yes.”

            “What else would you expect from such a virtuous king?” Skyla asked to the response of more cheers.

 

 

            After the announcements were over Jessa told Jraken to meet her in the woods by the dorms after sunset. He did not exactly have a good feeling about the way she asked him. It had too serious a tone to be a romantic suggestion.

            When he arrived, she came up and gave him another intimate kiss. His heart soared all over again as his body grew warm and fuzzy. This is a good sign.

            “Jraken. I can’t thank you enough for everything. Our team has qualified and what’s more, you turned down your chance to go live a free life amongst the stars.”

            “Almost sounds like you would have gone yourself.” Jraken chuckled.

            Jessa’s face grew stoic and she released her embrace. “You have really gotten my attention lately, Jraken. I feel like I’ve only seen a small glimpse of what you’re capable of. In so many ways you have earned my trust and my respect. Which is why I feel like you deserve to know that I don’t feel as strongly about you as you do for me.”

            “That’s a given.” Jraken laughed. “I know I’m aiming a little high.”

            “Stop it. I’ve seen the way girls look at you. You could get any girl in the academy.”

            “Just not you?” Jraken asked. His heart in his throat. Just as it seemed everything was starting to go his way. He could now sense the impending doom that would smother his chances with the girl of his dreams.

            “I would have left, Jraken. Even right now. If my parents could afford a spacecraft and came to get me right now. I would still leave. Nothing I find here is ever going to convince me to stay.”

            “What if we went together? Joined the same agency? I just don’t see what these things have to do with you and me.”

            “I think you are amazing, Jraken. Truly, I do. Which is why I feel terrible for kind of leading you on. It is just that you are not my type.” Jessa kissed his cheek and patted his shoulder. “Sorry, Jraken.”

            He could not deny that he was crushed. He looked at the beautiful Jessa Hardu and smiled. “Then I’ve been making quite a fool of myself, haven’t I?”

            “A little bit, yes.” Jessa said while wincing. “Do you have any regrets now? Now that you know?”

            “No, Jessa. I have developed an unconditional love for you. I never truly expected you to kiss me. Let alone twice, and I will cherish those kisses like rare jewels for as long as I live. To put it simply, I am inspired by you. Like an artist who sees a sunset and strives to make a masterpiece. I see you, and I want to train to be the best fighter I can be. Only a masterpiece could win your heart. I have come nowhere near achieving my masterpiece.”

            Jessa did not want to tell him how close he had come to winning her over. She would not have kissed him if she had not wanted to. It was better if he thought the whole thing was her just leading him on.

            “I love seeing you happy. The reason I love seeing you happy is because you are my friend.” Jraken assured her.

            “It makes me happy to hear you say that. We start training tomorrow, and no more holding back! If Kolzer, Hiali, and me are going to improve, we need to train with everyone at their best.” Jessa started walking back to the dorms. She stopped when she realized Jraken was not following her. “You coming?”

            “Think I’m going to stay out here a little while. I do my best thinking in nature.”

            Jessa knew she had just dropped a heavy load on him. Despite how well he was playing it off, she suspected it was probably eating him up inside. She continued on to her dorm, unsure if she truly felt any better after telling him the truth.

           

 

 

0