Hope
90 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

II

After fighting with the stalker, life itself was being drained away from me, from time to time I will wake up just for the pain and fatigue to pull me back to the darkness, as the specter of death grab onto me while my body struggles to live.

 I did all I could do ~ Array thoughts like this strike my mind to exhaustion while the small remaining spark of will pressed my body to move, sadly like a sword thrown into a lake my consciousness fell into the deeps losing my sense of self with every passing breath.

~I did my best, but my body doesn’t answer anymore… ~ My stomach twists as a sour metallic taste lingers ~ I’m sorry everyone… ~ my thoughts start to disappear, leaving only incomplete ideas hovering like lanterns on a black river ~ but I feel this is the end… ~ It’s not too long for the dark veiled hands to seize the remain lanterns and drown them into the obscure waters. 

~…. ~ As everything disappears a dimmer silver light comes into sight, fighting the dark veil.

Hey, Are you awake? – A soft, melodious voice rings from the small silver light, a voice that I missed so much but haven’t heard in years.

Wake up… – The sweet voice continues as it becomes playful – Come on, we are going to be late! – waves start flowing from the light fighting the inescapable end.  

Stand up, you lazy bum! – the waves push the darkness harder revealing new sparks ~ I know that voice ~ A strong desire to grabs my soul as I listening to her. I know this voice is just a memory and is my soul last-ditch effort to keep me alive, reminding me what I fight for.

- How… - As my eyes struggle to open the sweet and loving voice disappears leaving me alone while I’m surrounded by fire facing the fogged celling next to the carcass of a repulsive demon which just tried to kill me.

I try to sit down but I can’t, I try to turn around which is also hopeless. My body has reached its limit twice in a day and its barely working ~I can’t move…~ The reality sinks in showing me nothing but despair.

I close my eyes and focus on the voice which pulls me to this realm before the Eumenides took me to be judged ~ I pledged my undying devotion to YOU, I gave my soul to YOU, and I know if YOU command my body if YOU call my body will move…~  Complete and utter silence takes hold of my surroundings, as I patiently wait with faith for the only calling it matters.

The melodious mischievous voice answers my request just with three words - I miss you –

A soft laugh leaves my lips which tremble its way into a smile -Woman, you are slave driver - My pale face slowly recovers some color while my breathing goes back to normal, I’m completely exhausted and pain encumbers my body stronger than before, but even my body is weak and broken, that voice will always empower and heal me.

Don’t worry, I will get home ~ My thoughts of longing and obstinacy together with the fear of never seen her again, get me enough mental strength to summon the last drops of WILL residing in me. As my body trembles from exertion and my consciousness come and goes, all my remaining strength gathers on my right arm pushing myself to the side.

It feels like time itself became my enemy, passing slowly and prolonging my suffering as I lay on the ground, without anything else than a rotten carcass near me, I keep pushing my body until my forehead hits the ground gaining a new wound thanks to a small rock - One step at a time – I mumble with harsh sand on my mouth trying to pump myself up. 

My arms have never felt more cramped and heavier than today, it’s like every nerve in them has been replaced by a hot iron rod making them useless, even so, I don’t give up as even my pain fuels me. The air leaves my lungs as my vision gets blurry; I might not be bleeding anymore but the present “IT” gave me still lingers causing a throbbing bending pain which spreads to all my body tearing every single nerve on its every beat.

Just a bit more ~ Gritting my teeth with enough strength to bite an arm off, I force myself to push as hard as possible the boulder that is my body now, and while it trembles as the gap increase, a familiar sound catches my attention, is still an echo but that tickling noise is unmistakable ~ Seriously, How?! ~ the possible scenarios spread through my mind like fire concealing it in smoke like way, so I shake my head reaching to the conclusion that It doesn’t matter how.

The sound gets louder and louder and that tickling noise becomes a disturbance strong enough to rumble the cave itself. It wasn’t just one tickling noise, this sound was without a doubt the hive preparing to rush out, which surprises me since the hive shouldn’t be functional enough ~ I need to get out of here~ Dragging myself to the carcass which lies near me feels like my only option. Taking advantage of its position and height I push myself with enough strength to stand, but even after standing, I’m forced to take a few breaths to make sure I won’t fall the ground the moment I take a step forward.

When my vision clears and my legs stop feeling like noodles, I start to walk getting myself in front of one of many manmade tunnels which were around me, before throwing my shield inside of an opposite tunnel, after all, I was to hurt to carry extra weight, also if by any chance a stalker was following me, that would puzzle him, giving me extra time at worst or complete safety at best. 

Time passes as I continue what seems like an endless walk. After losing the sense of time without knowing which Constellation flame is it, my worries increase ~ Is it Virgo or maybe is half flame into Pisces? Damn it, I don’t know! ~ without knowing which of the 12 Constellation flames I’m in, my enchanted flask shines with a soft blue calming me letting me know there is still time before it changes to the yellow flame, sadly that would only soothe my mind since my body was a different subject. 

With every step, I release another equipment from my grasp, as I hope to feel weightless once again, which is of course a delusion of my mind, as It tries its hardest to keep me walking disguising the truth.

Finally, I find myself without weapons without armor, and without backpack, just me, my leather cloths, and my flask of enchanted water, which shine in the dark allowing to walk in complete darkness, after what it seems at least two flames a tiny light shines in front of me, with hope slightly renew walk faster and faster literally seen a light at the end of the tunnel.

Almost there…. - grunting with every weak step I continue, ignoring everything but the light ~strange~ The light doesn’t grow, not even a bit, it remains the same size ~ What?! ~ Is in that moment something sharp stabs my forehead drawing my blood, with enough force to push me back, confuse for what happen I stretch my hand realizing the light was just a small hole in the wall, there was no exit, now I was trapped, inside a tunnel without food, equipment or in any condition to go back.

Refusing to give up my hand rubs against the cold stone, surrounding the tiny crack on the wall paying more attention to it ~ This wall is not that thick ~ while I press my forehead against the wall I weight all my possibilities at my disposal, sadly everything looks bleak ~ I’m screw if I was in a better condition breaking this wall or going back wouldn’t be a problem, but right now…~ 

Some dark thoughts drag themselves from the deepest parts of my soul, sabotaging my efforts to find a solution ~Not now! ~ Trying to keep my mind under control, I turn around pressing the back of my head against the wall biting my lips when suddenly a sound calls my attention ~Another demon? ~ I immediately stop rubbing the back of my head and as I do this the noise also stops.

~Am I hallucinating? ~ Slowly and quietly I move my face against the wall to hear what’s on the other side, but the moment my face reaches the stone wall a black spike pierces through it, appearing in front of my eyes almost taking my nose with it.

Before I can react, the spike breaks the wall illuminating the dark path I was trapped in, revealing a Black steeled halberd. The halberd´s owner steps forward spinning it, shattering the wall around it making sure there isn’t any foul demon hiding in this new path. Before I’m even able to talk, the pommel of the halberd hits me, throwing me to the ground as the halberds spike moves intending to impale my head. 

Raising my right hand in front of my face I show the mark on my palm -WAIT! – I scream so loud my throat gets sore. Luckily the reaction to my plea was faster than the attack -Legion XII?! – A shocked feminine voice answered me, as a knight covered in full plated armor is revealed to me. 

A knight stands in front of me, with her halberd leaning forward and its tip in a low angle directly in front of my hand, her leading shoulder was over her leading knee, while the pommel was at her opposite shoulder’s height, creating a diagonal angle between the tip and the pommel.

An Unterhut Guard ~ For a moment there, my mind followed her momentum and I saw my hand getting slice it two while my head was impaled, crushing my skull and dripping parts of my brain on the hard ground. The female knight doesn’t lower her guard, but at least pulls her visor up revealing a pair of black eyes, bellow thin white eyebrows which were surrounded by dark skin.

– What are you doing here? Wait are you a deserter? – The plated knight asks me with confusion on her eyes but immediately pulling the point of the halberd against my neck. 

NO, WAIT! I’m a survivor, to be precise I’m the only survivor of my entire legion – Still with some difficulty to breathe, my hand slowly grabs the halberd’s edge pushing it away, to avoid any kind accident, after all, she doesn’t seem to be a veteran.

Only survivor? Wait that’s not possible that legion was mostly composed of committed veterans…- Without any energy to waste and feeling dizzy I interrupt her – And still, we were butchered by an aberration, a nameless Demon covered in a black hood and fiery eyes – remembering that thing gave me goosebumps as my stomach curl, the fear he had left in me was like an open wound, right now I didn’t know if it would ever heal.

That’s outrageous, how many? – her eyes filled with sadness and anger look directly at me.

The knight shares some of my feelings, so I replied directly, trying to remain unemotional but failing as the last word left me – Did I stuttered? I Said ONE – I grit my teeth reminding me to stay calm, making a pause to take a deep breath– Just one Demon.

JUST ONE!?- her eyes open widely – Are you sure it was only one?

AM I SURE? OF COURSE, IM FUCKING SURE THAT THING KILL ALL MY LEGION, ALL MY COMRADES! – My voice deepens as rage flows through me pushing me to stand up ~Every time I try to calm myself this girl just presses another needle in me! ~ 

By the moment I realized my mistake the knight had stepped backward, pointing the tip of her halberd directly at me – I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scream at you, but you have to listen to me I don’t know who you are and you don’t know me, but right now I need to go back to the citadel or at least someone needs to, they need to be warm – Her eyes became narrow with suspicion, probably asking herself if she can trust me.

The knight remained in silence and stiff as a stalagmite while observing me - Look, if you don’t trust me that’s all right because I’m willing to give you my right arm as proof for you to take back - Grabbing my right shoulder a restless sight leaves me while extending my arm to her - Originally, I was planning to do it myself, but right now, I’m frightened I won’t make it in time. Please you need to help me! – I can still see distrust in her eyes and based on the situation I can’t ask her that buy, I just need her to take the information to the citadel.

Turn around and take off your upper cloths and boots – She orders me in a serious tone – Hurry! – Her halberd moves stupidly fast to my neck -We don’t have time, right?

~Smart girl ~ A broken grin forms on my face, as I do what she asked me since is the proper procedure, if I were in her position its the first thing I would have done.

The knight takes its time inspecting my back, especially the just cauterized wound since its too close to my spine ~ Thank the 7, I took time to cauterize it since it could be easily confused by a Defilers bite ~

Looks fine – she finally declares letting out a sight relieve relaxing her guard but never dropping it, she was probably as stress as me during the inspection since this could have ended being a trap for her.

Silently two dark figures walked behind her, one of them walked normally and it was easy to feel, but the other one, had an unnatural way of moving, almost as if it was hovering. My muscles contract causing me a small discomfort while doubt invades my mind ~ There is something wrong about that one ~ Not knowing if I was being paranoid, I remain vigilant and I would have stayed like that if the dust around that one hadn’t been push around ~ Oh, that one is not a specter after all ~

As the dark figures move closer to the knight, WILL goes through her halberd illuminating the surroundings, and with this light pushing the shadows away, their appearances were revealed. 

The abnormal one was of slender figure and not much taller than the knight, it was also completely covered in a yellow hooded cloak with a mask on its face. As for weapons go this one had a battle-bow on the right hand and three arrows tightly grab in the other, by this I could infer that one belonged to scout class, probably the reason why it had wraith-like movements, and since this one didn’t give away any metallic smell, the gear he or she was wearing was probably made of leather.

As for the other, this one had a full chain mail with a green hood under it which covers all his face, also plated boots, gauntlets, and broad shoulder plates this detail plus the lack of breast told me it was a he. The green hooded man looked like someone who also specializes in mobility but at the same time had enough armor and confidence on his build to take in a few blows. 

So, are you here on your own? – I raise an eyebrow, while still having some difficulties to breathe ~ They lack some experience, but their movements and strength are not amateurish ~

We… - The plated knight starts to talk but something is troubling her and making her doubt, about sharing information.

We don’t have time for this – The green hooded man intervenes with a low pitch voice.

The knight takes a deep breath relaxing for then to look at me. Her eyes were filled with strong emotions which she tries to hide, sadly in front of Homura hidden emotions were reveal to us in their eyes.

There were many emotions in her, but the main ones were sadness, sorrow, and... ~ Resignation? ~

A small pause makes the air uncomfortable until the knight gains some kind of determination - We belong to The Untainted – Her eyes close as she reveals the nature of her group.

What?! – My stomach curls as acid fills it, wrinkles appear on my forehead and my nose tightens similar to when you smell a rotten egg, it was not possible to hide my animosity towards them as it caught me by surprise. 

Did someone fall? - I snarl back at them with resentment on my words – Or, you are just looking for some poor fellow to experiment… - Before even finishing, it hits me - Wait, of course, you are here to take care of the defectors, aren’t you? – grinning when realizing two of them avoid looking at me.

Yes, that’s true, and you fit the profile so don’t get too cocky – The green hooded man growls back at me showing a sense of pride in his words.

The muscles on my mouth twitch while a grin full of disgust is drawn on my face, as memories of The Untainted come back to me, all the lies, the kidnapping, the trials, the force confessions, the punishments…. The experimentations, and even more hidden atrocities they commit in the name of our safety which was written on several books so we never forget, that cruelty doesn’t only come from demons.

Sadly, you are right – The grin on my face fades away as I press my thumb between my eyebrows before continuing – At this moment there is something more important to do.

Yes! you are right – The young knight jumps in, trying to clear the air and any topic that could escalate into a bigger problem– You told me that this unnamed demon killed a whole legion, your legion?

A freezing wind hits my spine as the horror comes back – Yes, one demon, covered in a gray ragged cloak, with… – a more recent memory stops my description – no, it’s not gray anymore, it’s a dark red ragged cloak…

From here on every new memory, every new characteristic that came back also dragged the face of someone dying in front of me, while I lay on the ground powerless between life and the dark sleep.

He had something similar to a Bone Edge coming out from each of his arms… – a flashback crash into me, as my closest friend got sliced in before being decapitated – and from his heels too… – he jumped to kick two of my comrades, who joined forces enchanting the shield of one, with the barrier of the other, trying to block or at least push him. It didn’t matter, he impales them together in the stomach with a third blade that grew from one his heels, penetrating them and spattering pieces of their broken spine and innards through their backs, before breaking the Bone Edge and leaving them to struggle, gurgling blood while tears roll down their cheeks as they tried to pull the bone.

 “IT” also had red crystals on his palms which could negate magic… - Three young sorceresses surrounded him and try to incinerate him, only for him to spin and pull out all the magic into the stones, before dashing towards one stabbing her hands before releasing an incinerating roar which forces its way inside her mouth and escapes every orifice she had before her stomach blew. The scream was so short, but so loud it still rumbles in my ears.

But above all was his gaze… that gaze, that fiery red gaze - As soon as that gaze looks straight into the legionaries, they went insane, like there was some new will in them driving them to open their bodies up and expose their entrails some went as far as to press their fingers in their skulls and split them open for everyone to see.

As an awkward silence falls on us, I can perceive their eyes showing concern for me, not because they are worried about my wellbeing. No, because they now can feel it from me, from a legionary ~ They can feel my fear ~

~ Well, it was to be expected ~ My eyebrow raise as air leaves me sighting at their reaction -What? – My eyes looking straight at them, waiting.

No, no... no! That’s enough it’s just that… - The young knight pauses while trying to convey her thoughts in the politest possible way as her fingers move nervously.

The face you had when you were describing him, was the face of someone who has been marked by terror – "Green-hood" remarks, As I had suspected he lacks tact, but at this moment, it helps me.

The knight frowns at Green-hood remarks, showing him a spark of anger in her eyes - You will be a fool not fear that thing… – As rage tries to push blood into my fists, sadness crawls onto the corners of eyes and fear wants to puke my guts out, all these emotions try to lash out at those remarks, but I know that won’t take anywhere more than a cell for deserters.

I’m not judging you – Green-hood interrupts me – Your emotions are genuine and I wouldn’t be so arrogant not to fear an enemy who slaughters a whole legion by itself.

The yellow hood moved away as she opens her arms ~ I think she was shocked by that comment, it was a bit frustrating not being able to see her feelings.

Well, since everything is clear, let’s decide what are we going to do now – The knight decides while she stretches her hand to me – My name is Dirgis.

Green-hood walks next to Dirgis follow by the Yellow-hood, both looking directly at me, he continues – I’m Oidrat, and this over here is Penumbra, that girl is mute so don’t expect her to be "talkative" – Penumbra looks at him for a moment, before nodding at me.

With my eyes wide open and a hard smile on my face, my hand softly grabs onto Dirgis and as a trust bond is formed, I'm pulled into the light leaving that dark tunnel. 

I’m Fol. 

 

****************************************************************************************************

Hello, hope you are doing fine during these times and I would like to hear some of your feedback, so please do =) also, give it a like if you can afford it ;) Remember English is not my first language so be kind.

0