Prologue
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ces was standing in front of the Foundation's building, an old-fashioned grostesque structure where most of the vampire-human relations and transactions took place. The obsidian sculptures of ancient winged-monsters stood high and mighty on their pedestals, fangs baring in an unsightly manner. The ferocious-looking beasts, gargoyles, were called the guardians of the night, always on the lookout and obeying the demands of every vampire. It used to be delightful to have them as pets, that is before they were driven to extinction after turning on their masters.

"Happy birthday to me." Ces whispered to herself and inhaled the nightly breeze with a whiff of polished oakwood and dangling tangerines.

Cecilia Buandiller had just turned 121 years old today and it was all over Midnight Times, even though she had requested her family not to broadcast the celebratory news. Now she had no choice but to host a coming-of-age dinner as a sign of formality, extending the invitations to her relatives scattered across the globe.

Of course her family would make a big deal out of it. She is the youngest child of the Buandillers after all. Ces is from the second descent of the royal lineage, with blood almost as pure as the Empress'. Inheriting the name itself was power, like a privilege card in the vampire hierarchy. That lineage reformed Lougrand City, made major adjustments for humans and vampires alike in order for them to co-exist peacefully with each other. Laws were rebranded; equal rights between the two incongruous species have been registered.

Being an heiress to a massive fortune, all they gave the young and spoiled Ces was a huge mansion with minimal company shares. Not that she was complaining, her older siblings are burdened with the most troublesome tasks such as running Lougrand City and managing the corporation behind the scenes.

However she can put all of the family matters aside for once since today marks a new page in her life. If the number of her days represent a page and these pages would then be woven into a book, it would be a very thick one even without written content.That was the gift of longevity along with their cursed appetites.

All this years she has waited to get her license in butler ownership. Not just an ordinary butler, but a half-blood especially groomed to be familiar with her extravagant lifestyle. With humanity discarded, half-bloods live longer than the average human and possess incredible strength. In exchange for the longevity they receive from vampires, they repay them with a lifetime of servitude instead. They make a better replacement for gargoyles, at least according to Ces' mother.

It's a pact with the devil.You ask why they're willing to make such sacrifices in order to claim one-tenth of a vampire's power? The answer is greed, so that they can accomplish whatever they desire — to avenge a loved one, to cling onto their material possessions — even if it's only for a short period of time before they are chosen by eligible masters.

Greed is the perfect common denominator shared between humans and vampires. But the main reason that allowed these two to live side by side — half-bloods. Lougrand City's peace feeds on their slavery. Despite the half-bloods being the heroes, they are still greatly discriminated by humans. Ironic, isn't it?

From the moment half-bloods are reborn, their fates have already been decided. The Empress imprints her seal on their bodies, engraving the contract upon their rebirth. Only when a master bounds himself to the seal, the finalization of the contracting process is complete.

Ces excelled in the vampire-human relations class back in the university. From what she remembers, the half-bloods are given a few years to roam freely before they are bound to the clauses of their contracts. And when that limited time expires, the Foundation takes them in and grooms them to be the most efficient and skillful butlers, caretaker by day and blood bank by night. Even with their unnatural transformation, the bodies of half-bloods have retained the exquisite taste of human blood flowing in their streams. Just the thought excites Ces — fresh produce at its finest, no more relying on stored bottles with powdered preservatives.

Did her brothers feel this way too? It must have been a century since they turned of legal age.

The lobby was almost quiet and empty to the extent the hoarse chatters exchanged between the receptionists and clients could be faintly heard. Vampires who recognized Ces courtsied and bowed upon her presence and she did the same to those whom she acknowledged. She found a counter with an empty line and approached the blonde-haired woman behind it.

"Cecilia Buandiller." She told the receptionist who was startled with her stealth. "Surprised?" There was something about the way these majestic beings walk, graceful in a floaty manner with passive fluidity. As creatures who have been stripped off their shadows, they can make the sounds of their footsteps mute as well. One can never tell when they are coming and that makes them formidable assassins.

"Good evening, Madame. Are you here for the package?" The woman looked quite unpleased to see her but she had managed to plaster a smile on her face. Ces wasn't exactly the people's favorite. She believed that the people's choice award must have gone to her idiot of a brother.

"Yes, why else would I be here?" Ces clicked her tongue. Normally she would have her servants run her errands but she wouldn't trust them with an important task. Other than that, it was beyond their working hours. The last thing she wanted was their demands for overtime pay and sue her for human rights.

"I thought you would be joining the family business. Sir Lucas came here earlier to have his documents fixed." She muttered.

"What was that?" Ces shot her an icy look, telling to keep her mouth shut. The intensity of her cold glares is a catastrophic phenomenon itself. Her fair hair, its color close to silky silver, even enhanced the frost in her eyes. She had always hated it when people meddled in her family affairs, let alone bringing up the topic.

"Forgive me." The receptionist resumed her work all the while keeping her eyes glued to the screen of her computer. "I'm afraid to tell you that there's going to be a delay. Your package isn't ready yet. I suggest you come back next week."

Trying to get a view of the monitor's screen, Ces leaned towards her desk. "I personally came here to avail my butler after receiving the permission to do so. Mind explaining what really happened?"

"T-the package escaped yesterday." Her voice was trembling.

"Well? I don't have all night. Call the hunters and find him already. I'll wait at the lobby."

"He's already been found. The package is in the briefing room but we can't let you see him just yet. Perhaps, would you want to request for a new butler?"

She was getting impatient. "Do you have an idea how long grooming takes? 2 years. I can't wait that long." Ces demanded. "I want it now." It was really tempting to put her under an unbreakable spell but that would be breaking the law.

"Our dearest Ces, would you mind not scaring our newest recruit?" A tall man in a dashing navy blue suit came to interrupt their conversation. His hair was dark brown with a hint of white streaks, gelled neatly towards the right to cover his prominent bald spot. "I was wondering what all the fuss was about and here I find you."

"Uncle Joaquin." Ces' face brightened when she saw him, finally someone useful. She briefly explained the situation. She never thought she would be using the family card.

"Where are my manners?" He kissed her cheek. "Happy birthday."

"Manager." the receptionist greeted.

"Stella, this customer here is VIP." Joaquin said in a reprimanding tone. "If she wants to see her package, let her."

"But sir," and the rest, the receptionist whispered inside Uncle Joaquin's ear. He was the one who caused trouble yesterday. Ces rolled her eyes, as if she could not hear her.

Joaquin then turned to Ces and bowed his head in apology."Your package might be a little defected. If you want to see him despite his condition, we will show you to him."

"Defected? Why? Is he dead?" Ces asked.

"No." The receptionist shook her head.

"Then lead me to the briefing room please."

"Allow me." Joaquin pulled the metal door, opening to a dimmed room with no windows. Amidst the darkness, there was a strong sweet scent which initiated the hunger pangs on the pits of Ces' stomach. It was so fragrant and compelling. Covering her mouth out of conscious habit, she chewed on her lower lip to refrain her fangs from extending; it was ill-mannered of her to let it loose in front of a stranger.

"So this is what you didn't want me to see?" Ces chuckled. "What a trifling matter."

"We only want what's best for our clients." Joaquin shrugged. "We weren't sure how you would react given the situation."

In the middle of the room was a lean figure of a young man helplessly tied to a chair. His wrists and ankles were filled with deep scratches from the thorny ropes that robbed him off his mobility. He was staring blankly at the floor, his black hair dampened with blood as it gave off a reddish hue under the lamplight. Blood dripped from his chin and onto the amassed pool of blood beside his barefoot. Assuming from his injuries, his head must have been hit with a blunt object.

Ces was certain he must have heard them come in yet he showed no particular reaction. He did not even bother to look at the faces of his night time guests.

"The hunters went rough on him as you can see. We can nurse him back to full health if you'd let him stay for a few more weeks." Joaquin offered.

Ces dismissed his proposal with a wave as she walked towards the restrained young man. She lifted his chin to ensure that their gazes would meet each other. His eyes were a pair of lovely browns, remnants of his humanity, flecked with glowing crimson fire that surrounded his pupils. Ces was taken aback not because of the injuries inflicted on him but because of how soulless the depths his eyes looked. Judging from his eyes alone, he could be easily mistaken for being a vampire, not a half-blood. Instead of swallowing him with her immense gaze, he was swallowing her. It was suffocating, luring her in. Or she must have gone hysterical with the scent of blood overwhelming her senses.

"Boy, what is your name?" she asked politely.

"Elios." He whispered in a struggling tone.

Ces examined his swollen face which was patterned with dark and purple bruises; a few cuts were found on his plump lips. There were also hand marks around his neck. She felt relived when she did not see the emblematic two-hole punctures buried in his flesh. "I want the names of those hunters. Who told them they can touch what's mine?"

"We could teach them a lesson." Joaquin suggested.

"Thank you, Uncle." Ces smiled. "Let's proceed now, shall we? Untie him."

"Are you certain?"

"No one in their right mind would dare challenge a vampire, even he knows that."

The ropes fell to the ground. Elios slumped in his seat, dangling like a lifeless corpse. It seemed like he did not have enough energy left in him — the hunters ensured that. Joaquin showed Ces the Empress' mark on his nape, just below the dead-end roots of his clean cut hair.

Ces tapped her fingers onto the seal and she could feel him freeze under her touch. No matter how light the pressure she applied, it felt like ice was pressing against his skin.

"Did you bring a melted portion of your family ring?" Joaquin asked. It was tradition.

She nodded and brought out a pearly vial. The content was poured out on her hand. It has liquid properties similar to mercury, flowing with indescribable density. It swayed back and forth as she tilted her palm.

"Leave us. I know what to do. Thank you for the help." Ces gestured towards the door.

"Happy birthday again." Joaquin went outside leaving the two in the confined room.

Ces let out a sigh. "Elios, you know very well that I hate sugarcoating. This will hurt a lot. As your soon-to-be master, it is my duty to care for you. You can bite my hand and drink my blood during the procedure."

The young man just stared at her in confusion.

"I'm telling you that you need this." She extended her hand. "Do you have a better suggestion? I can use the steel bars nearby if you want your teeth to get crushed."

Elios awkwardly reached for her hand and bit on it softly.

"Just bite down if it's too much." Without precaution, Ces discharged the liquid onto his seal and it seeped inside his skin, taking effect immediately. The reaction was possible since family rings are heavily-imbued with the Empress' blessing magic.

Elios groaned. Due to the force his teeth sank into her flesh and blood gushed out. In a book it was said that the pain was closely compared to being stabbed repeatedly. However it is only for a fleeting moment until the reaction is completed.

"Til' death do us apart." Smiling, Ces stared at her brand new possession in wonder. The young man knew what this meant. He was bound to a lifetime of servitude under Cecilia Buandiller. Her death would mean his end as well. There was no turning back now. Elios released his bite and the wound he left on Ces' hand gradually healed. Strings of blood began to act on its own, overlapping each other until the bite marks vaporised into thin air. It was a beautiful healing mechanism.

On the other hand, Elios was still wounded like a tortured cattle.

"You didn't drink my blood?" Her voice reeked of disappointment. "This is S-grade. I heard it tastes really good for the likes of you."

Ces grabbed a knife from her pocket and slit her finger. Red blood oozed out. "You're still not drinking? Is this too little for you?" When she saw that he showed no interest, she cut a bigger slice on her forearm. Some spilled on the floor. What a waste. "I guess they did a number on you, getting to your head and all that."

She slurped the oozing blood from her skin before her self-healing instinct took place. Its taste was metallic and acrid, slightly burning her taste buds. Vampire blood was never pleasant among vampires to begin with. Bending down to a more comfortable position, she grabbed his face, her long nails inevitably dug into his hard battered cheeks and she forced her lips upon his. She gently pulled his chin to part his mouth open; spilled blood trickled down his neck. He didn't resist at least, his mouth was warm and comforting. It made the taste of her own blood less horrible.

Elios almost choked on her blood when Ces pulled away. He coughed, gasping for breath. In a short moment, his wounds, except for the magical seal, began to close without a trace of the hunters' assault.

"A 'thank you' would be very nice."

"Thank you, Master Cecilia." Elios said. He nearly stumbled when he tried to stand up. Ces assumed that he was physically well but trauma was something she cannot erase. There are annoying limits to her power after all.

Now that she could see his face clearly, she found him very handsome. Ces was smiling at the revelation. Joaquin really knows who to save her for his favorite niece.

"Come on now, let's go home." She offered her hand and this time he took it like his life depended on it.

2