Chapter 5: Fallen Angel
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They were outside taking a lovely midnight stroll. Their ivory complexion bathed under the translucent moonlight, making their skin even more radiant than it already was. Occupying the cloudless horizon was the fat and full moon, which was accompanied by a starry sheet. This was the closest view of the heavens Ces could ever lay her eyes on. Abominations that walked the earth are soulless beings, deprived of their ticket to heaven, unlike Elios who had a chance even with his inner core tainted. A vampire was gifted with longevity and superb strength, with a major setback, bearing the curse of having one life. No after life, no reincarnations awaited their predestined fates. It was fine as long as they didn't cross paths with death.

The cobblestone isle paved its way downhill were a large bottomless basin of water had hidden itself. In its surrounding field, a colorful bed of poppies had previously rested here, now becoming vessels of empty brown patches due to winter's looming. Eventually, the breathing trees and flowers would be buried under thick layers of snow that has yet to come.

"The stars look beautiful," Ces observed. It was a bright night. "This is why I chose to remain at the mansion rather than staying near the city center."

Elios agreed, "It is magnificent out here. I hadn't seen anything like it." He walked side by side with his master, his gloved hands tucked behind him and his black hair naturally pushed back as the chilling wind breezed through them. Elios knew Ces did not call him all the way outside just to talk about the skies. If she wanted to talk, she could have picked one out of the fifty rooms annexed into her grand mansion.

"Well, savor it." She bit her lip, "This may be your last time seeing such scenery if everything falls out of hand." Since the big secret regarding the Empress' health had been leaked, it was only a matter of time before it will be published in the news front. Ces was left with no choice but to fill in her unaware butler about the gravity of the situation. She would appreciate his opinions on the matter. "You are aware of the Great Vampires' influence right?"

"Yes, the ministers spoke highly of them." Elios sounded calm. The ground-breaking idea of war did not shake him.

During the day, humans ruled the world but when nightfall comes, vampires succeeded into establishing an era fit for their reign, which led to the division of the world into four major domains. Behind the pitch-black shadows ruled the oldest and most powerful vampires — the Great Vampires. Standing in their intimidating presence could break an ordinary human's will to live; it required massive determination to be able to breathe the same air as them. How they earned their current title was because of the recognition they gained from fellow vampires, including the Buandillers, who swore their loyalty to them.

The Empress dominated the West, where the flourishing Lougrand City was located, the King in the South, the Witch in the East, and the Unknown in the North. Each one of them had their own unique powers befitting to them — their respective birthrights.

With mana, a crude source of elemental energy emitted by nature, diminishing as humans continued to exploit and abuse natural resources, purebred vampires born these days are not as almighty as the noble four. If only Ces had been born a thousand years earlier, she too would receive an extraordinary ability, host to an unlimited mana fountain. The only vampires who acquired mana from birth are the Great Vampires, since the creatures of the night were known to suck the life out of their surroundings. In other words, the transfer of power was nothing but an accident; it wasn't like nature was in favor of the accursed creatures.

A few selected human souls also fed on mana, harnessing great power from nature itself. This rare phenomenon proved the existence of witches.

"Whether I like it or not, I'm certain that I'll get involved with foreign matters due to my family's persistence. It is still unlikely for a war to break out but I want you to be prepared. You will be with me when that happens," said Ces.

"I can fight." Elios said confidently, "I'm a trained soldier."

"Gaining a fraction of our power can make you do more than that." She playfully tapped his nose, "Let's begin with your lousy sense of smell. You lacking in that aspect will get you killed in a battlefield. Learn to distinguish the difference between humans and half-bloods first."

"How about the witches?" He asked, "You did say they might be involved."

Ah, witches. Ces' least favorite word. "Yes, they will be a minority. To tell you the truth, I've never encountered one since they blend in too well with humans that they begin to smell like them."

"I believe there's a gruesome method that doesn't require sense of smell," Elios paused to think, "The emblem at the back of their eyeballs." It was the only method to sniff a witch out among a crowd of humans.

"It's not practical." Ces pursed her lips, "That's what my brothers did in the oldest witch hunts. Plucking their eyeballs out like how they picked berries from the garden. Imagine their disappointment when they found out the eyeballs weren't marked. I assume you've heard of that war."

"How would I miss it? It was named after your family. The Buandiller Witch Massacre." He noticed how Ces' expression gradually changed at the drop of the title.

It was history that made them look like the most cruel antagonists of all time. She particularly hated to be reminded of that dark event, preferring to call it a war instead of a massacre. The word 'massacre' seemed a bit overdone, considering that the witches had waged a war against them first, only to die hopeless deaths in the victorious hands of the vampires.

"I did not actually participate in that war," She said. "I was busy sucking my thumb in my mother's womb. Such a shame to have missed all the fun and let my brothers take all the glory. But don't worry, we're on good terms with the witches now as long as we avoid each other. That must be why I never met one."

Elios would not really describe the relationship between vampires and witches 'on good terms'. "If you think about it, the survivors of the massacre must be itching to take revenge upon your family. Along with the witches, humans and half-bloods have been oppressed by vampires for so long. It seems reasonable if they wanted to put an end to the Great Vampire's reign." He shared his thoughts.

"But look at the West! It's all safe now thanks to the Empress. If I'm not mistaken, most of the reported crimes are committed by humans themselves. It's a total self-destruction." Ces was smart with her choice of words, pretending to forget that a vampire like her took part in such barbaric activities. "I mean crimes are inevitable no matter where you stand. A little theft and bribery over here, a little murder over there. How is it the vampires' fault? Overall the West is doing better than the others in terms of vampire-to-human-related crimes."

"And here I am enslaved as your butler," Elios bantered.

She called him out defensively, "This is like any other employer-employee relationship. This is what you signed up for. I've been treating you all fair and square."

Her butler was quiet for a moment.

"What's that long look on your face? Come on say it, I won't take it against you," said Ces.

"What I'm trying to say is that the perspective of an oppressor is very different than the oppressed. Humans were always trapped inside their weak bodies, subjects of harsh treatments. This is why some of them wanted to surpass their physical limits and asked to be turned."

"You talk like you weren't one those humans."

He shook his head, "I didn't turn myself because I wanted strength."

"Then why did you?"

"It's a secret." Elios smiled.

Ces rolled her eyes. He was lying. There was no way a simpleton human would ask to be turned without desiring the power of a vampire.

He continued, "As for someone who's always been at the top, you never have to worry about being preyed on."

"Is that how you feel standing next to me? A prey?" Suddenly, she felt conscious and looked at him.

"Not at all, but I can't help it sometimes. Our bodies instinctively tell us to run away from predators in sight but with you, it's different." He looked back, drawn to her gaze. "In fact, you're not quite as bad as I expected you to be. Even if you don't show it, since that's how much of an ice princess you are, I can see that you genuinely care for the well-being of those around you."

"What made you say that?" Ces doubted his sanity. It was like a deer thanking a tiger for biting off its legs. Elios was an odd one right from the start, fearless and carefree, unlike the other servants who miraculously forgot how to talk when Ces was around.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "I just know it."

A reminder suddenly popped inside her head, taking note of Amber's words regarding the seal's effect on the wearer's loyalty. If he was employed under normal circumstances, would he have said the same thing?

"Elios, stay there and close your eyes." They stopped walking and Ces positioned herself behind him. "Shutting off one of your senses will make your ears and nose more sensitive. If you get used to it, you don't have to do it with your eyes closed. It's going to be as simple as breathing." This was the reason how Ces' ears were very attentive even in her sleep. Since at that state she is deprived of sight, the blood flow towards her ears are more concentrated and her hearing is magnified by ten fold.

Standing out in the open, Elios followed her instruction and obediently closed his eyes. It had always been easier with hearing. He could make out the smallest sounds of the nocturnal orchestra, composed of insect buzzing and crickets chirping, and pinpoint their location without any problem. The greatest challenge for him was picking up specific scents with his nose — the most important asset of a predator. It was impossible to join a battle if you couldn't tell your enemies apart.

And Ces wished to draw it out to its maximum potential. "What do you think you smell like?" She whispered, trying not to startle his sensitive ears.

"Scentless."

"What about me?" Ces asked again.

"Scentless."

"What about now?" She slowly exhaled, forcing her infinitesimal glands to open and release radiance into the field. Her natural scent was thick and fragrant around her. It was swirling around them in a colorless pattern.

The wind drifted it closely towards Elios' nose, but he failed to give a satisfying answer. "Sweet?" He sounded uncertain.

"Do you realize that you just admitted your attraction towards me?" Ces found herself smiling. First of all, radiance was an attraction determinant. It was not the kind of scent that could distinguish a vampire from a half-blood.

"What?" Elios frowned. He was confused.

"Oh, radiance is a unique vampire trait where we smell different depending on the level of attraction perceived. We call it the first layer of scents. It varies for everyone. It's similar to how a human smells more appetizing when they're scared." She licked her lips. "In human terms, it's like appeal."

"What are vampires supposed to smell like for a half-blood?"

That was the problem. Ces realized she was in no position to teach him. Only the basics would do for now. "How would I know?" She crossed her arms, "Since you can only smell the first layer of scents, teaching you would take a long time and I have no patience for a slow-learner like you. However, there's a shortcut. That seal of yours connects us in some way and allows me to give you a little something."

Ces stood on her toes and settled her hands on his defined shoulders. "Face front and don't move." She kissed the seal and flicked her tongue out.

"What—" Elios slapped his neck as if he was trying to catch a fly. He turned to look at Ces who wore a mischievous smile on her face. "I don't feel anything." He said innocently.

She scoffed, "Of course you wouldn't. I was messing with you. The rest you should learn on your own. There are books in the library for that, written for half-bloods like you so don't expect me to know."

He let out a sigh. "I really don't know when to take you seriously. If you're thirsty, you could just tell me." Elios was still holding the back of his neck. It did feel weird. The part of his skin that had been kissed upon was tingling with an unknown sensation. Her little sneak attack was effective. "I have a question, Ces. What do I smell like to you?"

"Hm?" She smiled, "You smell good. You're the best meal I've had in years."

"Not the answer I expected but alright."

"I've missed this place." Ces wandered off. Out of habit, her butler tailed behind her. "When we were young, my brothers and I would come here often to play by the bridge. They would act like my knights and compete for my hand in marriage. I was just a prop to their silly games. It was around this time too, just before the frost took over." She pointed at the barren bridge, wedged in between the body of water. Shadows of freshwater fish swam around and created ripples across the murky water. The lake was enormous. It was ridiculous enough to think that someone like her owned it.

"It must be nice to have three older brothers looking after you."

"Not so much. They bared their fangs at every suitor who came to my doorsteps." She crossed the bridge, revisiting the memories of her innocent past where they had played tag without a worry in the world. It was a hundred years ago. Four tiny children running around the lot. The lake was clearer then, less contaminated.

"It was funny how—" Ces' voice trailed off as it was replaced by the abrupt sound of wood cracking. She was watching the peaceful mirage of the full moon on the lake's surface grow larger by the second until the lake swallowed her body whole. Falling in face first, the icy waters slapped her to a reality where she realized that she couldn't swim.

Panic consumed her. She tried to get ahold of the lake's bottom by extending her feet, but it was too deep. It was called a bottomless lake for a reason. She also couldn't cling to the broken, floating planks since they were too small. Gasping for breath, Ces flailed her arms around and kicked the water in hopes of staying afloat.

"Ces!" Elios shouted. He tossed his coat aside and jumped from the unbroken part of the bridge, plunging into the freezing lake. His body felt cold but the adrenaline fought the numbness away. He swam towards Ces and clasped her light body around his arm. "Don't struggle." He said calmly.

Dragging her body out of the water, Elios' saving operation was a success. Away from the bridge, they were lying on the lakeside panting for breath. "You scared me." Elios moved the strands of hair that messily covered her face, brushing her cheek.

Ces coughed the water out of her stomach. "Now we're all drenched." She complained. Her entirely soaked dress was pressed against her skin. She had to wear white out of all the colors, leaving no space for imagination.

Her butler looked around and wrapped his dry coat around her shoulders. Now it was safe to look at her, less trouble on Elios' part.

"How did you know I was drowning for real? For a moment back there, I thought you wouldn't save me since I was always messing with you," Ces said when she finally reverted back to her poised self.

He had kneeled next to her. "What are you talking about? I had no time to think of that. Even if you were faking or not, I wouldn't think twice about jumping to save you. But I didn't expect this. What have you been doing for the past century that you can't swim?" He began to laugh, although deep inside, he was truly relieved that she was safe.

"Yes, yes. What's funnier than a vampire who can't swim?" Ces deliberately squeezed the ends of her dress and water dripped in large amounts. "I wouldn't die from drowning anyway. I'll drown and go through it over and over again but it's not enough to stop my heart from beating."

It looked like Elios was enjoying himself. "I still can't believe this." He was still smiling, showing his perfect teeth. His lips were red and wet. What was it like to kiss those lips deeply? Ces wondered. Surely, it looked soft.

Ces stood on her legs and yelled at the lake, cursing at the inanimate object. "If you wanted to kill me, you should've done better than that!"

They stayed there for a while, laughing it off as if a certain someone did not almost drown a few minutes ago. Elios ran his slender fingers across his hair, revealing his sharp features under the moonlight. Despite being a half-blood, there was something mystical about him. He gave off a lively shine that could entice anyone, especially staring into his deep-set eyes filled with marvel and warmth.

From the first time they met, Ces had always perceived him as a handsome young man. But after being drenched from the commotion she caused, it dawned on her that there were some men who looked even more dashing when wet. It was very tempting to push him back inside the waters — if only she knew how to swim.

"Why do you think you've never seen me swim in the pool?" Ces felt embarrassed. Having to choose between being saved by a half-blood and drowning endlessly, it had to be the former. According to Amber, an interrogation specialist, drowning was ranked as the most painful death and it was a torture method used on vampires. The deed alone wouldn't be able to deliver the finishing blow, as long as their hearts remained unstaked by a wooden object and their heads were intact.

Drowning on repeat was definitely out of the option. Even if it wouldn't kill her, she didn't want to experience such tremendous pain.

Elios cleared her throat, "Where is my 'thank you'?" He teased.

"Is that really necessary?" She pouted.

His eager eyes were very determined to hear those words come out from her stubborn mouth.

"If you want to hear it that much, very well," Ces folded her arms, "Thank you."

The gentle look on her eyes had created a stir in the pits of his stomach. "Let's hurry back inside and dry our clothes before we catch a cold," Elios said.

"I won't catch a cold from something as petty as this." She collected the ends of her dress since it was heavier than it was dry. Storming ahead of Elios, she peered over her shoulder. "Prepare a drink for me and fetch Miss Anne to help me with my bath. I don't want to smell like lake water."

"Oh, do you not want my assistance now?" He smiled.

"Just do as you're told."

---------

As much as she tried to hold it back, her efforts became nothing the moment a sneeze erupted from her lips. She hastily covered her mouth and took a quick glance at Elios who was judging her for her confident words earlier. It was unlikely for a vampire to catch a cold but it was possible after feeling cold wind's caresses in addition to her unexpected dip into the lake.

"What are you looking at?" Ces hissed at him.

"I just thought Cecilia Buandiller doesn't catch colds easily."

The entrance of her mansion was soiled with muddy footprints. They had been walking barefooted since they lost their shoes, now resting in peace at the bottom of the lake. The two, still soaked from head to toe, passed by the living room to see Ian comfortably reclined in one of the couches, like he was waiting for them.

"Having fun I see. I did not peg you to be the type to play around with your butler." Ian sneered, a suspicious gleam danced in his two-toned eyes.

"We fell into the lake." Ces kept her explanation short, not wanting to disclose further details. "And why are you still here?"

"Did I not tell you I will be living here for a while?" He leaned forward. Setting his elbows on top of his knees, he pressed his hands together.

"Under whose orders?" She was surprised. This was the first time she heard about it.

"Mine. I will have Maximus deliver my luggage in the morning. You will be seeing more of me often, I hope this is not too much for you."

Her eyes trailed from Ian and then to Elios. "Fantastic." She said flatly and walked out of the room.

1