Ch 40. The land of burned villages
1.9k 6 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Master, look there!”

Rin was waving her hand towards somewhere but considering how sleepy I am, I can barely see the windows on the bridge. I started scanning with radars and actually discovered something.

Did we find an island in our way?” I can’t tell the size of the land mass but I know that at least it is land.

“Master, if you can’t see it then please tell sooner.” Rin was trying to scold me.

Am I going to stay ignorant forever?

“We have arrived to another continent, Master!” Willow chirped that as if that announcement was something worthy of being made.

Yes, great. What a surprise!” I monotonously said that and started  streaming back to the bed.

Oh… girls, help me…” Rin decided not to waste her time and instead called the others to carry me back.


After some very long sleeping.

When I finally woke up I found myself used as the maids’ fluffing pillow. Benet and Grace were sleeping on the tails, Rin and Willow were hugging my arms.

After I sneaked out of the bed I headed towards the bridge.

“Greeting, Master.”

[What the hell?]

“Benet, how did you get here BEFORE me?” That is not something I was expecting.

“I know all the ways around the ship, I had a lot of time to remember the shortcuts.” Scary…

When I finally looked around with opened eyes I confirmed that we actually arrived towards a large landmass. After I’ll finish the tea I should disembark.


We took some supplies and equipment and then left the ship the same way we entered it: I jumped down and sailed, the fairies flew to the land.

“I wonder if Elina is doing fine…” When I saw my maids prepared for everything and each having a sword I suddenly remembered a certain disgrace of a duchess and a pervert.

The beach was nothing exciting so we headed deeper inland.

We found a small road and started following it. The road was abandoned and the grass started consuming it here and there. I am hoping that this road can lead us to an actually used road or a settlement.

With this in mind I sent a flight to scout. Soon I got the first results.

When we walked into a burned village I was not surprised. It was not even smoking, so I can only say that it is abandoned a long time ago.

I can’t tell if the ashes and burned wood were here forever but I am sure that there would at least be a house somewhere. Not everything could be a mess of wood and ash when the village was built.

With the aerial recon we finally found a road and headed there.

Soon we were walking somewhere and when we hit a crossroad I found a sign with wooden plates. There were four names on it: to the left – Ichinogawa; to the right – Uji; to the front – Erigata; to the back – Michikaga. What a bunch of random names.

“Master, what is this?” Grace was the first to show her voice ever since we left the ship.

“This is a sign with directions. Can’t you tell?

Forgive me, Master, but there is only some scrabble…” Grace bowed down and apologized and after she pointed it out I saw that those are actually hieroglyphs, which I could easily read.

[I started understanding and do things which normally one would never encounter after I became Fuji. Should this mean that this is Japanese and I can easily read it because I am somewhat ‘japanese’ now?]

With my random sense of direction I decided to not waste time and followed my gut. I turned to the right and started walking. The maids followed me. I walked 20 meters and found a stick, then I returned to the sign. The maids followed me. I threw the stick into the air. The stick hit my head.

Second try, the stick shows that I should go right.

[Understood, stick-sensei.]

At long last we headed towards the destination. Not that I didn’t start walking there before, I was just making sure that this is the god’s will.


When it was starting to get darker we walked into another village, as burned as the previous one. I didn’t even waste my time looking around because we need to find a good place to rest before the night begins.

For an unknown reason all the villages and inns in this area are all burned to ashes. This area might be a dead one after some war between the local landowners. Soon I found the first good sign, the road was actively used, unlike before.

With each passing moment I was less and less sure that we will encounter something but a remnant of the town. In the end I had to prepare to set up our camp.

“Master, how about you lie down while they set up your accommodation?” Rin smiled at me and tapped her lap inviting me for an exciting experience only the select few can enjoy. That is what typical novel hero should say about it.

“Don’t bother waking me up.” I ordered her and enjoyed my bedding.

46