Ch 46. The triumph for a sea battle
1.7k 5 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have an entire fleet at my command. 11 battleships and battlecruisers, 10 heavy cruisers, 6 light cruisers and 46 destroyers. Whatever dares coming at me will be reduced to ashes.

I decided to spend my time wisely and scouted everything I could. My decision proved itself when I actually discovered the enemy fleet. They are greatly outnumbered and outgunned by my fleet. I am confident in the victory.

The enemy tried to recon us as well, and considering that there are unknown aircraft far away from any land, now I at least know they have their own carriers. I intercepted all of their scouts before they found my fleet. With my better preparations I can give my battleships targeting coordinates. If everything goes well, soon the enemy will be defeated.

All of my battleships fired at their maximum range but only dealt minor damage to an enemy battleship. While they were reloading I sent my first wave of attack aircraft.

Soon they were intercepted by the enemy. Hostile fighters engaged my A5N in a dogfight while the bombers continued without any escort. While my fighters were chewed by more advanced F4Fs, attack groups managed to approach their target.

Torpedo bombers approached a heavy cruiser and despite its desperate firing they managed to drop their payload. The enemy ship was damaged but remained afloat. It was the time for the dive bombers.

The dive bombers were met with a wall of fire from the nearby ships, I lost most of them and neither of their bombs hit. I will have to wait until my aircraft groups are replenished.

While my fighters were out of the fight, the enemy carriers launched their own attack waves.

I saw how my battlecruiser exploded and fell apart after several direct hits from the enemy dive bombers. The next wave of dive bombers crippled one of the dreadnaughts which soon started to sink. Another dreadnought got hit by a torpedo and started turning in circles. The enemy attack aircrafts began swarming there. The dreadnought and its escorts shot down most of the enemy dive bombers but the ship got several hits and lost its speed.

The gunfire from our battleships and heavy cruisers did minor damage to the enemy but that was not enough to avenge the loss of two heavy ships. My torpedo bombers had to do the second sortie without any escort, enemy fighters barely found them and had no way to attack them due to how low the bombers were.

When my beaten bombers found an enemy warship, they were met with a wall of AA fire and were shot down without any torpedoes hitting the ship.


Another allied battleship was hit by an enemy shell and started listing. The following attacks sunk another battleship and two heavy cruisers of its escort. I continue losing ships without being able to fight back!

To counter the enemy supremacy I sent Yamato forward.

While I looked from the ship’s bridge I discovered a number of interesting things. First, I was escorted by IJN Yukikaze, the one that is lucky. I can even feel how our luck conflicts. I think that when two ‘minus problems’ get together, they create a magnet for disasters. At least that’s what the current situation tells me.

The second observation was that the fog did not go away or disappear but it became very thin in the area of battle, as if it was just a foggy weather in real life. The combat area was surrounded by an impregnable wall of fog.

While the big guns were doing their own battle, the light ships of each side closed to the torpedo launching distance and the engagement between the battleships soon shifted into the naval dogfight.

After some time I decided to scout the last known positions of the enemy but discovered nothing. The enemy slipped away without us knowing. With every second the initiative was slipping away from us.

As the battle kept going I launched my new dive bombers which attacked a heavy cruiser which slipped through the defenses and crippled it. All I can do is to wait until the next wave of attack aircraft will be ready.

One of the previously hit heavy cruisers was trying to fall back when another wave of enemy torpedo bombers found it. The few destroyers of its escort will be an insignificant deterrence. The cruiser was hit by two torpedoes and was struggling for its life. The bow soon started rising from the water. The ship’s crew barely saved her from sinking.

Soon the fleets disengaged and we started preparing for the second round.


Fuji lost: 1 battlecruiser, 2 battleships, 4 heavy cruisers and 8 destroyers.

The enemy lost: 4 destroyers and about 50 aircraft.

40