Ch 48. The another first step
1.7k 4 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The second engagement was the moment when I was still able to come back after the defeat but now that the majority of the fleet is on the bottom of the ocean, even a miracle will not save me. I had times more ships than the enemy and yet I failed to do anything. Their hulls handled our shells as if they were peas while our hulls were burning without any issue. Even the best of my strategies were met with an inaccurate fire and weak shells. That is what the true despair looks like.

Of the remaining ships, 3 were battlecruisers and of the battleships only Yamato survived the encounters. With 3 cruisers left and a bunch of destroyers I have no screening to protect me against the pursuing enemy.

[It is time to turn back and retreat.]

I can clearly see what I look like in the mirror: my ears are down and the fluffy tails look like they were wet and tied to my legs. I am but a shadow, of myself when I tried defying the gods.

‘SPLASH’

The first ranging shots started landing within the formation.

KABOOM

BOOM BOOM BOOM

Yamato and the battlecruisers returned fire but none of their shells hit. I prepared to launch the aircraft for the final fight. I doubt that there will be the fourth engagement.

The leading battlecruiser was hit and started turning to let the others take its place.

Two already damaged and burned light cruisers were left with a few destroyers to slow down the enemy pursuit. I never heard from them again.

One after another, the ships were left to slow the enemy down until only I and Yamato remained. And considering that I can go 3 knots faster…

[To hell with it, at least it is a nice target which can draw their fire. I will have less priority while I am near the battleship.]

When I finally reached the fog’s edge I passed through it like nothing happened but Yamato turned and went towards the enemy. I decided to not follow their battle rush and continued on course. Soon the guns went silent.


I may not be the bravest of all people but this was too much for me, I barely escaped with minor damage.

I kept steaming towards the coast.

I have lost almost all of the flights and had no reserves that is why when an unknown sea-monster-something showed up on the sonar I was not capable of properly killing it. At least I still have my main guns.

The ranging shots were inaccurate so I adjusted the sights but considering how much the monster swims I can’t properly aim at it while it is far away.

When it stopped its chaotic movements the results did not make me wait, the beast’s cry of pain proved that the smoke clouds on its back were indeed the explosions.

The enraged animal rushed at me in a straight line and I started peppering it with rifle shots which also did minor bleeding wounds to it. However, that was not enough to stop its advance and it was getting too close for my comfort.

BANG

With another hit it started slowing down, one more should be enough.

BANG

I decided to steam faster before more of them show up. Which did happen.

BANG

BANG BANG


After I breached their blockade I safely returned to the coast and swiftly moved towards the temple where I left my maids.

I yearn for the healing thighs and warm hands, especially after all the s* that happened.

Finally I found the temple and the healing maids which immediately and without the unnecessary questions started fluffing me.

While I was looking around with the glassed eyes I focused on a shadow near the edge of the miko’s house. A weird shadow that was staring at me and when I turned my head there, they hid behind the building.

Under the skillful fluffing I fell asleep and when I woke up I was under a blanket inside the house.

“T-traveller-sama… erhm… w-would you… l-like some tea?” The first person to greet me was the miko, when I looked at her she immediately averted her eyes and blushed. A few seconds after, she just placed a tray with the tea on a table and walked out of the room with fast steps.

While it was interesting to find out what happened I decided to pay a visit first.


“Nice seeing you come back in one piece. Have you suddenly changed your mind~?

She immediately started with mocking me.

What was the reason of the failure?
  • She underestimated the enemy. Votes: 4 12.9%
  • She had less carriers. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She disengaged while should've kept fighting. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She mentioned something about cheaty enemies. Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I am sure a certain 'She' has something to do with this. Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Fuji was just a dumb admiral. Votes: 8 25.8%
Total voters: 31 · This poll was closed on Oct 5, 2020 05:23 PM.
39