Ch 54. A final decision
1.5k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To finish the battle I would require to attack the enemy in a such way they would not find me even after I show myself.

After I distanced myself from the enemy carriers I recalled my gear into the carrier. And considering that the carrier can be both operated from the distance and is the main striking force, I will use it as my primary offensive power.

I will keep following the enemy carriers myself while the carrier will sail to a suitable location where I will make an ambush on the enemy. That is the plan.


Problems began immediately. Enterprise and Hornet spotted the carrier too early and began pursuing.

For now I decided to follow the plan and try to make an ambush. My movements were spotted immediately and now I have to run again. The reality was too cruel for me.

To shake them off I used a risky tactic. I charged at them with the naginata.

While most of my attacks missed I managed to land a single hit. Enterprise took slight damage and this was enough to slow them down. They can’t risk going alone when I have any air superiority.

I finally gained myself some distance from them. The artillery combat began while both sides were preparing their attack craft.

VROOOM

I have Rapid deployment which let me launch 6 groups at the enemy.

All my attacks were aimed at Hornet. Her crazy maneuvers let her evade most of the torpedoes but I scored two hits followed by a bomb.

We launched all remaining aircraft and the dogfight began.

My zeros were overwhelmed by enemy planes. It is almost 2 to 1 ratio. The dogfight managed to block all fighters from intercepting the bombers.

I fired all weaponry like crazy, I even ordered the landed aircraft to join the firing. That allowed me to create such firepower that the enemy was barely able to approach. But even that was not enough to stop them from suicide attacking me. I got hit with one torpedo and started taking some water. That was not enough to affect my plane-launching capabilities.

The damage I did in the previous fights was enough to cause Hornet to stop launching planes. Her weaponry also was very inaccurate which allowed my attack groups to approach her without losing much. Two torpedoes hit her and she fell into the water. The rest of the planes headed towards Enterprise.

Enterprise was damaged but that did not affect her combat performance too much. When a torpedo made her disorientated I gave my dive bombers order to land something on Enterprise’s head. Not a single dive bomber hit her due to suddenly opened fire. Unlike me, Enterprise has much more guns pointing upwards.


While my gut was telling that I should continue running and waiting for a better opportunity to strike, I decided to ignore the feelings inside of me and continue fighting here. I cannot be a hostage to my intuition all the time, sometimes I also should try going against the current.

I realized that my decision was rash when I saw a new wave of bombers taking off the Enterprise’s flight deck. I immediately used Brave New World and the planes from the ability. Advanced A6M5 managed to intercept bombers before I was in their range. My problem was that the fighters could only buy me some time because they already are under fire both from the bombers and their carrier.

I took the risk and rushed at Enterprise hoping the enemy will not try bombing their own carrier.

PING

The blade hit the armor and made a lot of sparks. The Dauntless and Avenger bombers were circling above me, they didn’t dare bombing me while Enterprise was so close.

She counterattacked me and pushed me back. I barely had a chance to stay close enough to avoid the vultures above us. In a battle of two carriers the one who has better weaponry wins. While we can’t use our planes we still have guns. And mine are much better.

BANG BANG

I continued firing and attacking with the naginata to force Enterprise to flee. Meanwhile, I was planning what to do next.

This time when I challenged the fog I had a perception of the real Fuji’s fighting style and I feel like I became more used to it. I closed my eyes and trusted myself to the reflexes of the kitsune carrier. Even with closed eyes I can almost clearly see where the enemy is.

Hit.

Hit.

Hit.

I managed to force Enterprise to turn and flee. Her bombers were already shot down with my main guns.

All that is left is to…

Take off!” And the swarm of planes headed towards their target.

In the end I somewhat understood the words of Akagi. I was forced to make a choice. I had to adapt. And comparing the previous me, who can only fight with what he knew, the new me should at least be able to properly control the flow of battle. I might not stop being myself but now I know when I should just stop doing acting rash and think what would Fuji do in my place.

Clap-clap-clap

38