‘A side story of darkness and a cat’ No 23.
267 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bit of metal always greases the wheels

After our group arrived to the capital the fat man told me to follow him.

We soon reached a brick building and entered it.

“Why are we here?”

“This is the place where we will be registering. The contest will be soon enough.” (FM)

I looked around and saw that there are many people around us. Most of them queued in front of a small desk where one clerk was working.

It is so inefficient.” If this is how they register then I would say that even Master’s work is acceptably fast.

“No, this is the place where the assistants register. Speaking of which…” (FM)

“Understood.” I stood in the line.

Three hours later.

“Fill in this form. Next.” It turns out that I underestimated this place. My emotions got the better of me.

After I filled the form I returned to the same queue which was only growing longer.

Four hours later.

“Thank you. Please, come tomorrow to have your request approved by the commission. Have a good evening.” With this I finally understood that it will not be fast.

“Can it be processed faster?”

No. Get out.” The clerk’s expression changed instantly.

Slice

Wha…?!” After the desk was cut in two, the clerk rapidly found all required papers and even filled them in my stead. Also, he gave me a document which gives me the right to meet the commission out of turn.

The fat man was waiting for me at a restaurant on the other side of the street.

That commotion you caused… what were you even thinking?” (FM)

“I increased their speed of work.” It is truth.

“Hey, waiter! Give that girl whatever she asks. No more than three dishes, or else we all will be bankrupt by the end of the hour.” I guess I did the right thing.

2