V3 Ch 4. Civilization
484 31 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey! What are you doing there?!

I jumped out of my hiding and gripped the hilt.

In a distance I saw a couple of men with a torch. I had a very complicated feeling. They are the civilization I searched for but I wonder if I can trust them.

Who are you?” I chose to talk first.

“We are the guards. We were patrolling when we saw a smoke. Now it’s your turn. What are you doing there?” One of them started approaching. I did not let go of the hilt but I was only showing that I am not an easy target.

“Patrolling? There is a settlement nearby?

Wha…?” He was dumbfounded. They exchanged glances and thought for a few seconds.

You are joking…?” (G)

Does it look like?” I showed the carcass of my prey.

Damn… Were you stranded?” I nodded.

“Fine, follow me. We’ll lead you to our village. You’ll be able to rest there.” (G)

Why should I trust you?

“Because you can either stay here and freeze, or stay in the village. It’s your call.” He raised his hands and headed back to his comrade.

I looked around myself and decided it won’t hurt to give it a shot.

Don’t do anything you’ll regret.” I performed a few swings to show that I am not a damsel in distress.

Aint it my phrase…?” The guard giggled.


We arrived to a small village but far away in the distance I saw some lights.

“What is there?” I pointed.

“Ah, it’s the capital city. If you are stranded, it’s the best way you might get some money. Just don’t expect them to be so nice to you. This city is merciless to those who have no money. That is why there are many villages around.” (G)

I felt a strong sense of déjà vu but considering my multitude of options I will be visiting this city soon.

The guard led me to an inn.

“Gianluca, my friend, can I ask you a favor?” One of the guards shook hands with the innkeeper.

“Marco, my boy, just tell me what you need!” (I)

“We found this beast on the coast. Can you let her sleep here? For tonight at least?” (G)

Very well.” The innkeeper reluctantly agreed.

The guards left.

“Beast, follow me. There will be no food but I will let you sleep here.” He opened a room and gently pushed me inside.

The room was not too bad. There was a proper bed, a table, and even a wardrobe. Nothing too fancy but even the inn reception was not showing off luxury.

“Thank you.”

You are welcome, you are welcome. Would you need water?” (I)

“No, thank you. I will not be causing you more trouble than necessary.”

“Ha-ha-ha! What a courteous child you are. Good night, Beast.” The innkeeper gave me a key and left. I closed the door and went to sleep.


I was wary of any sounds and woke up several times during the night but nothing bad happened. In the end I managed to fall asleep and wake up in the morning.

I walked to the reception. The innkeeper was already working.

“Good morning, Beast. Slept well?” (I)

“Yes.” I put the key on the desk and headed to the exit.

If you are fine with working, I know some places that would need help.” The innkeeper called out to me. I thought about the offer.

“I will try my luck in the city. This is not a refusal.

Ha-ha-ha! Then, find this old man if you change your mind! Farewell!” I waved my hand and left.

The village was living its own life. The people were walking, the animals were grazing, the children were playing.

While I was heading to the road, I sensed something and swung the katana.

Wow!” The children were astonished when they saw the swing. I was surprised as well: one of them was standing in the throwing stance, and what I sensed was a stone he threw at me.

D-damned beast…! GO AWAY! THIS IS OUR VILLAGE!!!” The brat started shouting at me, the other children joined.

Swing

Cut

With a single swing I cut a small tree that was nearby.

The brats started trembling, one of them even wetted his pants.

MAMA!!!” One demonstration was enough to scatter them.

I walked out to a road that led towards the city, and jogged there.


When I arrived, I saw queues of people and wagons, all standing in front of a checkpoint which blocked a long stone bridge. The bridge appeared to be the only way to reach a city that was on an island.

My turn to enter arrived only by the midday.

Next. A beast…? What do you need?” The guard looked at me skeptically.

“I need to enter.”

And I thought you just wanted to jump around. So, are you going to answer?” (G)

“I am going to find a job.”

Huh… Captain, what should we do? She’s not on the entrance list!”

Forget the list! She goes to the brothel. Remember? A local brothel needed a new worker. Don’t forget to make me a discount! Ha-ha-ha!” A man in armor laughed and I was pushed towards the city.

At least I was now on my way inside.

Announcement
IJN Kuronami glossary entry was added!
3