V3 Ch 23. Declaration of war
251 18 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my term was served, I was taken to the Doge.

I told him the same things about where the lair is, and how many ships the pirates have. The Doge was sitting and thinking about something. Then he put an envelope on the edge of the desk.

“Inside you will find the bank notes for your reward. Also, there will be a form for citizenship. With this the contract is fulfilled.” (D)

But having a form also means I might be rejected…?” I felt a bit cheated.

“The forms are given only to the people who are getting the citizenship, not to the candidates.” He cut off my objections.

“Understood. If that is it, then I will be going.” I headed to the door.

If you are willing to work, then I have another task for you.” I turned 180 and prepared to listen.

“The pirates are increasing their activity. Veronica reported that you have a strong and fast ship, the perfect solution for our headache.” (D)

“…” I drilled the Doge with my gaze. If they want me to work, then they should have money. I don’t want to live on a street after my pocket money runs out.

What?” He didn’t get what I meant.

I expect something in return for work.

HA-HA-HA!!!” The Doge started laughing all of a sudden.

Silly, girl! Where did you see an unpaid work? Ha-ha-ha! You are asked to work, and the thing you ask is whether you are paid for it! Just where is your common sense? Ha-ha-ha…! I was wronged and mocked…

Finally, after laughing for a few minutes, the Doge reestablished his calm posture and looked at me.

Well, well. It is hard to make me laugh. Good job, Little One. The payment is ten times the previous, plus reward for every pirate ship sunk. And if that is not enough, should you bring me the standard of the pirate flagship, the ‘Black Demon’, then you will be granted patrician title, and the right to own property in Benezio and every colony.” (D)

It sounded too good to refuse…

As I was about to give my positive answer, I remembered about the envelope from Alba.

I suddenly remembered… He-he-he…” I timidly passed the envelope to Veronica, who quickly opened it. She immediately showed an expression of disgust.

“Read it.” (D)

Are you sure, Father…?” (V)

Read it, stupid woman.” (D)

I warned you…’ (V)

“Dear Maurizio, how are you? Are you feeling fine?

I am so glad to be writing to you after all this time.

I hope that worms did not eat you already, and I will be able to gut you myself. Don’t you die before I arrive, you stinking pile of c*. …” The letter continued with more and more insults and swearing.

“… Don’t forget to send me that lunatic.

Sincerely wishing you death, Alba.

So, did I not warn you?” As Veronica finished reading the letter, a cup flew at her. The girl elegantly dodged it but the next cup was thrown immediately after.

Veronica did not dodge it in time, and the cup shattered on her head. Then another one did the same.

The tearing girl straightened and after the Doge calmed down, she bowed.

Next time, keep your foul mouth shut.” The girl bowed again.

I remained silent as well.

Great…” (D)

What are you waiting for, you stupid Beast? Do you need a special invitation to tell me about how the f* you managed to meet that w*?” (D)

“I was brought to her right after I arrived. When she sent me on another mission, she gave me this envelope.”

The Beast is to be locked down. If you agree to work, then report back. Otherwise, remain in Veronica’s room. Get out of my sight, both of you. Don’t you dare returning without a reason.” The Doge picked up a cup, to show what will happen if we continue staying here.


Veronica was silent until we returned to her room.

Don’t mind Father’s behavior. That woman is the most wanted criminal. She hijacked the most powerful of Benezio warships, and then made a pirate gang that keeps on harassing the merchants in the region. He just was too agitated by her insolence.” She started petting me but unlike normally, I did not purr. I was too concerned about Veronica, whose face was dirtied by thin lines of blood.

In the nighttime I was thinking about what to do.

I ended up in a precarious situation. I am de-facto imprisoned, and running away will make me a criminal, the ally of pirates. Well, allying the pirates would be the logical outcome of this. Or, I can stay here until the pirates come and burn down everything. In any case I cannot remain neutral. I need a port to refuel, and that is why I need an ally.

The pirates are going to come and murder everybody but they have a wide network of bases, or should have. Benezio has good ports, pays me, and is ready to make me join them. But the Doge…

All in all…

Which side should KN choose?
  • Join the Pirates. Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Join Benezian Navy. Votes: 3 33.3%
Total voters: 9 · This poll was closed on Jun 15, 2021 09:35 AM.
2