V3 Ch 25. The first explosions of war
219 9 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the grunts were cutting off pieces of the kraken, I was busy telling Alba about what I found.

The fleet has moved? They must already be midway to us.” Patricia glanced at me.

They never even tried to be unpredictable. Their vanguard will strike tomorrow, plus-minus a day.” Alba sipped tea and also looked at me.

“Why are you so sure?” I couldn’t stop doubting her words. The pirates are not the smartest.

Let’s just say, I have a first-hand experience. Their tactic is to start with a skirmish to draw our fast ships, and then the main strike of battleships to sink our unguarded heavy forces.” (A)

Then what are our chances?

Chances? We’ll be obliterated.” Patricia shrugged her shoulders, as if she doesn’t care.

Then why are you not moving yet?! They are going to arrive soon, and here you are waiting!

[They are overwhelmed and have less than 10 heavy ships, only one of which is similar to Benezio battleships. It is a common sense to avoid the unfavorable engagement. Even I know that much!]

You think it will help us?” I nodded again and again.

Ha? You may have a good ship but you are absolutely of no help in tactics.” (P)

Say again? You have a handful of ships and you are going to engage the superior enemy force?

Stop it, you two. Kuronami, I will explain it. Just don’t try to understand our point, or your head will stop working.” (A)

“Why would you think so? I am smart.”

If you say so. I am not convinced but I will pretend I am, for now.” Alba mocked me before continuing.

“They will try to draw us out of the shallows, so we must stay here, closer to the coastal batteries. During our previous fights we obtained several heavy guns, our main hope. You are capable of fighting so I put you under Patricia’s command. Her fast ships will engage the vanguard, and if they defeat it, we will have the advantage.” (A)

For some time I was struggling to understand but then I thought about the maneuverability of those ships. Fast ships can disrupt the line formation of battleships, and give advantage to our inferior force.

“Then I will proceed to prepare.” I headed to the exit.

Not without Patricia.” (A)

Are you still suspecting me?” I couldn’t help barking.

It is not about suspecting, foolish girl, it is about being ready. If you will be already prepared to set sail, then be so kind to do it as soon as you are ready. The more time we have, the better. I wish you two fair winds and following seas.” Now that we were dismissed, I headed to my ship and bought the entire package of torpedoes. My purse got lighter but at least…

[If I will be engaging some splinters, then why not hoard points to improve torpedoes?]


The pirate frigates and caravels were already at the roadstead and only needed to set sail. I made sure everything is prepared on my end.

“I guess we can go now. Whom do they follow?” I pointed at the light force.

“They are on their own. I will tell you where to go, since we will be engaging before the others do. Now, anchor aweigh!” Patricia made a posture with an arm pointing to the horizon, and after I grumbled ‘Whatever’, we started moving.

Just as we exited the port, I started hearing pinging.

Ping… Ping… Ping…

It was underwater, and very close to the port.

Hey, Patricia, what are the chances of a sea monster being near a port?

Are you stupid? Of course no sea monster would approach a port. They only attack single ships.” Now I knew everything I needed to know.

Wait? Why are you turning?! I said, head there! Are you even listening?!” I ignored her shouting, and prepared to give a warm welcome to the uninvited visitor.

Splash

BOOM

While I was turning around to drop more depth charges, pieces of wood started surfacing.

I have no idea what we encountered but it was no longer a threat.

To think they would be so daring…’ (P)

Was it expected?

W-what are you talking about…?” Patricia was not expecting me to hear her. I pointed at my ears.

Ah… Benezio was experimenting with submersible boats… I never thought you would find one…” (P)

“I have ears everywhere.” The sonar can also be considered one.

I circled a few times around the island to make sure there are no more submarines, then we returned to the course, trying to catch up to the rest of the light force.

What would be better against (wooden) battleships?
  • Guns. KN's guns will kill battleships with ease. Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Torpedoes. No battleship can survive a hit. Votes: 3 30.0%
Total voters: 10 · This poll was closed on Jun 20, 2021 11:57 AM.
2