V3 Ch 40. The extinguished Wind
176 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at the woman and couldn’t believe my eyes.

Even though her clothes were tattered, it did not affect her beauty. Her white hair and blue eyes were beautiful and clear. I have no idea how long she lived here but I wouldn’t be surprised if she arrived yesterday. Her skin too was clean, without any speck or wrinkle. I quickly glanced at her body, and was once again pleasantly surprised.

If not for her kimono, she would look like a princess of some ultra-rich country.

Still, it doesn’t explain what the seagulls do here, or why they brought me to visit this place.

Have you finished, Doll?” The woman curiously looked at me. Maybe she caught on that I shamelessly appraised her looks.

“I am sorry. I am Kuronami, please take care of me.” I did a Japanese-style greeting, and the woman chuckled.

“What a pleasure, seeing such a well-educated child. You must be tired after the travel, please come inside. My dwelling may be humble but its doors are always open to the visitors.” We followed the woman.

I have no idea how large this house is in tatamis but I already can say that this is not a place where two people can live together.

The woman and I sat by a table, and glanced at Patricia, who was staring in shock at us.

“You may think it is weird but sit down, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.” Patricia was even more confused now.

“Sit down, Child. This land’s customs may be strange for you but so do the customs of your land for me.” After the woman’s encouragement Patricia sat down, trying to copy seiza.

“Just sit however you like. Seiza will make your legs hurt, if you don’t have experience.” Once again, the woman chuckled after hearing my words.

“I owe you my greetings. I am known as Yuriko, the one who guards the Seas.” I immediately had a question in my head.

[What does it mean?]

Hu-hu-hu~, it means that I am the patron of all those who enter the Seas, be it fishermen, or sailors.” I felt a déjà vu.

“You will understand it in the due time, Doll.” (Y)

“Why are you calling me ‘Doll’? Can you use my name, please?” I felt irritated with this nickname.

“I am calling you what you are. A doll.” (Y)

Wait, is she a stuffed animal…?” Now it was Patricia’s turn to ask a stupid question.

“Maybe, maybe not, maybe I am just joking.” (Y)

“Even if you say that I am a doll, how would you explain that I am doing whatever I want?” Patricia started nodding.

Ufu-fu~, it only means that your puppeteer is giving you more freedom~.” Yuriko poured some tea.

“Enough about that, I am not a doll and that’s it. Why would those seagulls bring me here? Maybe you know the answer, since you were not surprised by the amount of them.” Once again, Yuriko chuckled.

These children? They came here to save me. So did you.” (Y)

I don’t exactly remember us knowing of her existence…’ (P)

Why are they saving you…?

Who knows~…” (Y)

So you don’t need to be saved? Fine, Kuronami, let’s drink and go home, we’ve got stuff to do.” Yuriko’s face didn’t change. Not even a single muscle of her face has moved.

Khm… Yuriko-san, why would you think we will be helping you…?

“Because I said so.” I facepalmed.

“We are not heroes who mindlessly jump into action.”

“I do not remember asking for your consent.” I shivered as the air in the room started cooling. It is not a metaphor, since I actually started seeing my breath.

What needs to be done…?” I have no idea how strong she is but if I suddenly encountered a ridiculously strong opponent, the wisest thing to do is to try talking.

“Indeed, Doll. I see why these children followed you, and claimed you to be an asset. This island is often defiled by the pirates. I wish them to be taught a lesson. After you are done with them, I need you to avenge the traitor. Slay the one who burnt yourself.

Easy, right~?” Yuriko stopped being dreadfully serious and returned to being an easy-going onee-san.

No problem…

Why would we?” Patricia said simultaneously with me.

“Try me, Child. I may be infirm but I can muster enough strength to remove both of you.” I quickly closed Patricia's mouth with my hand, and smiled at Yuriko.

Then, about the payment…?

I did a gamble here. She may be strong but she doesn’t wish to do the things by herself.

2