V3 Ch 63. Fading hopes
174 12 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several hours after the first contact my squadron and the ironclad docked by the remnants of the pirate fleet.

That is…?” (E)
As you can see. The Benezian navy was not joking around. They wouldn’t agree to talk, unless you show them your strength. My squadron is strong enough to be reckoned with but the pirates I am sided with are on the brink of extinction.”

Emmanuel glanced at the ‘Black Demon’, and shook his head in disappointment.

The pirate flagship was like a Swiss cheese. Its sides were being repaired with planks but that was only enough to cover the holes. Some guns were missing, while the others were lying on the decks without gun carriages.

I sent Yoizuki and Aotsuki, the renamed K2, to patrol the port.

Me, Yuriko, Patricia, and Emmanuel headed to Alba to talk about the situation.

Alba moved to one of the plundered mansions and was waiting for us (me) to come.


When I saw her, Alba appeared to be similar to a ghost. She was tired and worn out. A purple coat was by her side, supporting her when she walked.

No need for a pity.” Alba brushed off our concerns, and sat down.

I introduced the new faces to her, as well as told her about the recent events. For example, about Fairy and encounter with the West.

“I am glad to see you, Signor Emmanuel. I am Alba, the commander-in-chief of the rebels.” (A)

If I understood correctly, you are the one who kept this band afloat all this time?” (E)

“I am but a humble ideologist of our force. My daughter Patricia is the one who makes the impossible task implementable.” Even though Alba was not in the best condition, both physically and economically, she was giving off a noble aura. Emmanuel felt it too, and kissed the back of her hand.

“I see. Are there any plans you will be working with? Something feasible with the current condition of your forces?” (E)

Kuronami is our only capable force right now. We need to capture some enemy ships. The men are not an issue, the ships are. I even have an idea where to find some. Signor’s assistance will be utmost appreciated.” (A)

If I may, I suggest you focus on establishing a perimeter. This port is isolated, and should your enemies return… You will be caught in here, without a way to retreat. You have no way to predict the enemy’s movements, so you must focus on establishing dominance over the area, instead of gambling your last forces on capturing ships.” Alba started thinking about the suggestion. For a few minutes she appeared to be like Yuriko, who was mostly a decoration by a wall.

The woman finally stopped being silent and murmured something with her palm covering her mouth, to avoid me hearing. After she was done, she nodded to Patricia and gave her answer.

“Perhaps it would be better to do everything at once. We want to start the new operation immediately, while the navy is still running with their tails between the legs. Time is of the essence. I hope you understand.” (A)

“I may understand the severity of your situation but I doubt it will help.” (E)

Then do you have other ideas?” I looked at Emmanuel. The man was not very interested in the negotiations and waited until we finish.

“I can call for assistance. The Emperor may bless this place with His grace. The Empire could use new colonies, so…” (E)

Are you suggesting to replace one tyrant with the other?!” (A)

Impudence! His Imperial Majesty is benevolent sovereign! Do you think you can just…!” (E)

Stop it, guys! We have other issues to be concerned with!” Patricia interrupted the heating debate between Alba and Emmanuel.

You have to face the reality, Señora. No matter how good these metal ships are, there are few of them. They may cost the enemy colossal losses but they still would be sunk, should they face a superior force.” (E)

“Signor Emmanuel, please, step out for a couple of minutes. I should discuss it with the others.” (A)


When we were left alone, Alba drilled me with a glare.

“I expect you to tell me, what are the chances of us winning, should the Westerners arrive en masse.” (A)

“Winning against Benezio – a piece of cake. Winning against the West – I doubt even I can make a difference, if there would be a hundred battleships similar to this one.” After hearing this, Alba collapsed on the chair. Patricia rushed to support the woman.

Come what may… We are not even in a corner. We are already dead. Dead do not care about death.

I have one last mission for you. Give him our answer… Whatever comes into that beast’s head of yours…” Patricia helped Alba stand up, and supported her on the way to a bedroom.

Should KN call for Western help?
  • The pirates are not going to survive without the West. Votes: 5 55.6%
  • A single ironclad should be enough to fight. Especially when their captain is indebted. Votes: 4 44.4%
Total voters: 9 · This poll was closed on Sep 11, 2021 10:16 AM.
2