V3 Ch 72. New Start
150 7 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Benezian colony was fighting valiantly.

Even though the enemy’s situation was dire, the purple coats started receiving support from the locals.

The deeper the pirates were pushing into the town, the larger was the portion of militia.

With a lot of effort the pirate purple coats pushed the enemy into the town’s fort, and besieged them.

Both sides took huge casualties, and after the initial firefight, when the sides were taking positions, nobody was willing to initiate a new massacre.

Bodies littered the streets and the main square of the town. A third of the bodies were on the approaches to the fort.

“What do you think? Will they surrender?” I glanced at the fort from time to time.

The sides seized the fighting. Everybody was tired and demotivated.

I had a good reason to believe that if I pressure the defenders a bit, they would surrender.

They may. However, those soldiers are tired too.” Emmanuel looked at the soldiers around. All of them were fighting for the entire day, without resting anywhere but at another line of covers.

I left the cover, and stood in everybody’s view.

I aimed the guns into the air, and fired.

BANG BANG BANG

While the echo and the dust were settling, the gates of the fort opened.

Some purple coats and militiamen cautiously stepped out. Some of the pirate troops left their covers too.

When those brave souls made sure neither side is going to attack, the fort finally surrendered.


The colony was secured, and the captured purple coats were let go. All of them remained in the town, and agreed to help maintaining the security.

There were no looting and no violence. There was nothing to take here.

The citizens were tired of Benezio, and with them recognizing our forces as a new alternative government, the chances of the pirates increased.

“I was wondering, if those people are actually a worthy force. When they claimed themselves to be rebels, I at most expected them to be a rabble, fighting against the state.” Emmanuel was looking at the sea.

Then, now you’re going to say we are the good guys?

“No. I just estimate those people to be a force worthy of the Emperor’s attention. Maybe the commanding officer of the fleet will agree to my assessment, and help them overthrow their central government. Then…” He murmured something in his language.

He lifted his eyes at me.

“I will try to put in a word for the pirates. However, do not expect me to do a miracle.” (E)

“If this won’t work out, then I am here.”

You underestimate the Empire’s fleets. No matter how many ships you sink, ten times more will come back.” The man shrugged his shoulders, and looked at a sail ship, approaching the port.

It was sailing under Benezian flag but it was a common merchant vessel, so nobody paid extra attention to it.

The ship safely docked, and the merchants started unloading the hold.

I was just looking at the bustle, since there was nothing to do here, while I was waiting for Aotsuki to deliver the prize ships and return.


My attention was caught by a man in a suit. He was different from the unshaved dirty ship rats that unloaded crates, and he was different from the unshaved clean ship rats that were shouting at the slow-working sailors.

The man looked around the port, and ventured into the town.

I followed him out of curiosity.

The man was exploring the places where the battle took place, especially the ones where my guns participated.

In the end, I approached him.

Hi? What are you looking for?

The man stared at me, and his eyes started examining me. Most of the time his gaze was fixated on the katana, and the cat ears.

Khm.” The man feigningly coughed, and stretched out his arm. In his hand was a letter.

When I accepted the letter, the man lightly bowed, and headed straight back to the ship.

I opened the envelope.

To my dear cat-kin,

I hope this letter will reach you, or else I will have to clean up the intelligence dpt’s mess.

I really hope to see you again. I remember I owe you a date in a restaurant, don’t I?

If you wish to see me, and sort out all of the mess we ended up in,
I will be waiting for you on the island of San Marco
at the next eclipse, and for three days afterwards.


Sincerely yours and full of love,

Veronica Maria di Benezio.

I immediately rushed to Patricia.

The girl torn the letter to pieces immediately after it ended up in her hands.

Don’t go. You must never trust this lunatic.” (P)

“Come on, why would she invite me just to fight me? She must have at least some intellect?

Just remember, that thing is a crazy, blood lusting, raving lunatic.” With every word Patricia moved closer to me, until her face was pushed into mine.

I’ll make sure to remember…

2