V3 Ch 79. Caught in crosshairs
132 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The squadron was sent into the final torpedo attack.

Since there is only one reload of torpedoes, we have few chances of sinking the enemy ships.

Most of the torpedoes missed the thinned lines of battleships. The attack scored 13 ships.

How soon can your empire’s ships reach us if they are around here?” I showed the location on the map, and Emmanuel measured something.

“They can arrive within this hour. Though, it is not fast enough to save those people.” (E)

I had to accept a simple truth: I am a coward.

The squadron was still sailing at a distance, and I was not going to come in and soak cannonballs in the pirates’ stead.

The defenders already sailed closer to Fairy. They had to withdraw to get closer to the floating battery, and to Fairy’s bofors guns.

I wondered if I should risk the Akizuki-class ships to stall the Benezian onslaught. Fairy can output a ship per day, if needed. Still, are they that useless to risk losing them?

While I wondered what to do, I saw that the battleships were not going to let anybody go. The enemy tried encircling the remaining pirate ships, and Fairy.

“Third and Fourth pennants, sail straight at the enemies.”

[“Orders confirmed.”]

After a brief telegraphing, Yoizuki and Harutsuki separated from the squadron, and charged straight at the enemy.

[They are expendable, and in case I manage to use them properly, not only will I not lose anything but also sink the enemy with ease.]

BANG BANG BANG

While my ships were charging, we sunk 3 battleships. I could count it as a success, if not for losing an allied battleship.

When my destroyers entered the firing range of the enemy, they managed to draw most of the attention. The main fleet was forced to react, leaving few ships to handle the pirates.

During the firefight, Harutsuki received a handful of shots, while covering the higher rank ship.

Why are we staying away from the fight?” Patricia only now started noticing that we are yet to jump into the action.

Because we are made of armored foil with cardboard filling.” She looked at me in confusion.

BANG BANG BANG

While there was some breathing space for the pirates, we sunk 3 battleships and 2 galleons. The suicide rush of the destroyers drew away the attention, and the pirates managed to stabilize their situation, as well as sink several enemy vessels.

Yoizuki received several hits from the enemy battleships. Seeing that the sheep are taking more and more damage, I started to consider withdrawing them, while they are still capable of fighting. The only reason I continue to risk them is that the Western fleet is approaching.


With every moment we win for the pirates, the help is approaching closer.

The fog-like smoke I had spotted in the distance was now looking like a thick cloud of gray.

In the next few minutes 3 more battleships, and 2 galleons disappeared underwater.

The enemy fleet was but a shadow of its former self.

Now that the enemy lost most of the heavy ships, the situation started to look favorable. The pirates regrouped with Yoizuki and Harutsuki.

My destroyers took heavy beating, and will stay in dock for a long time.

The enemy ships started disengaging, and turning away to gain some speed from the wind.

Meanwhile, the first steam-powered ships started sailing from around the island.

There were a little more than 10 warships, all of which were light ships.

The Western vanguard immediately joined the pursue.

Unlike the slower sail ships, the steam-powered frigates were fast and did not rely on the winds. The frigates sailed from one side of the retreating fleet, and my main force followed the Benezian navy from the other side. When we overtook them, we cut off the retreat path.

With the ironclads on approach, the enemy surrendered.

Aside from minor stuff, the pirates got their hands on 18 heavy ships.

It was more than enough to start preparing for an actual military campaign.

We only needed to deal with the Western fleet, that was aiming their guns at the port.

2