My hands are empty 
139 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a beautiful spring day when Kalel first teleported into the Duchy of Westburgh.

Rose trees in full bloom painted parts of Eton Hall's woodlands pink. But up close, its imposing main mansion was in chaos. An army of wizards—cloaked in their violet velvet robes and bearing weapons—came marching into our gates. They were demanding to search our estate. Our knights lined the perimeter on full defense like never before. But because the duke was away, Sebastian, the head butler at the time, used that as an excuse to refuse.

Just an hour before, a large pillar of light beamed down on the maze garden that it bathed the estate in blinding white light—but only for a moment, completely dissipating in the blink of an eye. If you weren't observant, you'd think you're just imagining things.

I showed up at the doorstep with a bloody boy over my shoulders. He had long silver hair and unfamiliar robes that appeared out of this world, out of nowhere—the staff easily figured out this was no ordinary rescue.

There I was, doing the single rescuer human crutch and struggling to carry a wounded stranger up the grand stairs dressed in all the usual noble finery of someone that successfully debuted into society just the night before. I have been anticipating this very moment far more than my debutante ball.

See, the boy on my shoulders—and then on Sebastian's back, racing up the stairs in urgent strides—is Kalel, the love of my life.

OK, love is too strong a word. But he has been the force that's motivated me all this time since I was reborn into this world. A world where magic is the religion and the science, where imperialism was never overthrown, where people still donned constricting clothes and tight hairdos and all the boredom of civic responsibility.

That very day last year, I made the staff promise not to say a word, and to this day, I'm so lucky to have such a loyal household because not one has leaked a thing... Or Kalel hypnotized them when I wasn't looking.

They don't know Kalel's an ageless, newly crowned demon prince from the underworld, but with the damage he took during the uprising against him, he reduced his physical appearance into that of a boy my age. It saves him energy and also hides him from his brother's people that have since been combing the surrounding forests and towns to serve Kalel's head in a silver platter. The wizards showing up here shortly after Kalel showed up says a lot about where their loyalty lies.

Kalel didn't tell me this. In fact, I wonder when he will ever open up to me about his past, his powers. I just read all background info from the web novel.

Anyway, the butler secretly called for a doctor. "You did excellent first aid, my lady. How did you—"

I cut in. "Aren't you going to do anything? Treat, stitch, and dress his wounds? Issue medication?"

"Only when the bleeding stops, but the bleeding won't stop," he hesitated to continue, and whispered, "If I may, it's as if the cuts have been created from within."

He pauses. "It seems to be a job for the tower."

I vehemently shook my head. There's no way I'm giving Kalel to the sadistic, greedy wizard in the tower that conducted experiments on him in the original story.

The book didn't go into detail about how the injuries were inflicted on him, but since he has a fast-healing body, he can get better with rest. So instead, I asked the doctor for decoctions to boost his immune system.

Kalel was asleep for six days. I would watch him and think about how when I was reading about his character, I felt that maybe I can love him. Now he's here before me in the flesh, I wonder what he's really like.

But the bigger question is, how would he react to me, a completely different person who had taken the place of the female lead? I'm no frail blonde beauty like the original heroine, and that's probably his type...

I sat next to his bed again, leaned forward to the mattress and cupped my head in my hands. I gazed at his face. From the side, his red lips were shaped like a heart. I whispered, "Can I kiss you?"

Cough, cough, he goes. He seems to be having a dream, making him break into sweat. I wiped it quickly, put back the damp towel on a basin and looked at my reflection.

It's crazy, but I am able to retain my original appearance in this world. Straight, inky black hair, straight upturned brows, I have skin like that of a white jade, big almond shaped black eyes, dark lashes, and cushiony red lips with a defined cupid's bow that dominate my small face. I have high cheekbones and a nose with a high, straight bridge.

This is not an over-appraisal. I really was known as a beauty in my last life, albeit a leftover woman, a Christmas Cake—being unmarried at 30—but it's not the case here.

"My mother tells me you are the illegitimate spawn of the duke from a witch."

"No, she's an evil fairy that possessed the fetus of the duchess."

"Don't look at her eyes! Black magic runs through her eyes."

I shook my head. The people of this empire are redheads and blondes with light colored eyes, light lashes, rosy fair skin that freckled easily, prominent Aquiline noses like my adoptive parents, and thin lips. So you see how exotic I appear. It's just that it's a world of people who don't like it when things are different.

Kalel regained consciousness. His ruby-like red eyes were half-open, and he was blinking rapidly. With a tiny voice, he whispered, "Are you an angel?"

That's the first impression I wanted. I was so pleased that I teased, "I can be anything you want me to be."

His face turned red as his eyes opened up wide. I saw the maids blushing and pretending not to hear.

Kalel sat up straight, clutching the blanket. "How impertinent!"

My head maid Sylvia came to my rescue. "You dare raise your voice to the lady of Westburgh?"

I just laughed it off. "What's your name?" I asked. "Do you remember me? I gave you something to drink in the maze garden and carried you. It has been six days."

He didn't answer. Instead, his eyes were scanning the room. I answered the question he was probably asking in his head. "You're in a guest bedroom."

He checked his body, his wrists and ankles. "I am not going to hurt you."

Looks like it will take some time for him to trust me. He narrowed his eyes on mine. "Can you read my mind?"

"I wish I could," I teased some more and he scowled. "Penny for your thoughts?"

He asked, "Why did you help me?"

What to say... I got up to pour him a glass of water, think it over as I walked to and fro, and he received it. He snared, "Don't you know what I am?"

A demon king, I inwardly said, but I know mine is the one he can't read out of all minds in this world. Transmigrator benefits, being a soul not of this world. I asked the maids to leave us alone.

I was curious how he'd lie out of his predicament. I cocked my head and tried to tease him a little more. Long silver hair, pale skin, large red eyes slanted upwards, a small face, a tiny nose and mouth with red lips, a lean frame. "A fairy?"

He didn't take the bait. I continued, "I know you're not of this world. You descended from a pillar of light." His red eyes widened, glistening.

"It doesn't matter to me who or what you are for me to make the decision to help you. You were injured terribly. I have been raised to never turn a blind eye to those in need, and you were hanging on for your life."

"You should've left me to die."

"Oh, no. You were struggling to stay alive. It looked like you were fighting something internally," I sat next to him on the bed, remembering how he looked like, and he flinched. I ignored it. "You looked like you had something to live for."

He finally spoke. "Kalel."

"Hmm?" Look at me, best in acting, downplaying my excitement. He trusted me with his real name!

"My name is Kalel."

I smiled, introduced myself, and continued, "Feel free to stay for as long as you need. Frankly, it looks like it's going to be a while. Your injuries are not ordinary. We have a magic tower here that does not look too kindly over foreign beings. If you fall in their hands, it is beyond my jurisdiction."

I put my hand over his. "So stay."

I brainstormed how I can sell the idea of raising a young boy to the duke. I can sell the idea of having a male heir—not required but preferred in this society—but his appearance stands out too much. The wizards of the tower would know.

We only need to keep him until he's strong enough. And then he can make the choice to leave, retaliate, search for the real female lead...

Kalel pulled his hand away, looking dejected. He fled his home where he is no longer welcome. He is nothing but a stray in this world, and he looked heartbroken to realize he had nothing and nowhere to go. "My hands are empty."

At this point I understood the weight of what I'm taking on. The original heroine only met him when he had smoothened things out in his life, only enjoying his company and his unconditional love. I'm taking him in at rock bottom. I might even have to confront the tower, or even creatures from the underworld, one day. He looked into my eyes, pleading as I was his last life line.

I took both hands in mine and looked straight into his eyes. "Not anymore."

5