Chapter 14: The Holy City of Darc
206 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Lady Elie

 

“Failures are inexcusable…”

There I was, in the Holy City of Darc’s altar dedicated to the goddess, Ave. With the holy insignia brandishing above, carpets a royal red, the two exorcists kneel before the altar. At the podium, high priestess Polina. The nun with oceanic hair and a scowl on her wrinkled face. Behind her on the right side, two men. One with a grunt of a beard and shallow eyes. To the left, a green-haired boy with a baby face and calm mannerisms. Two members of the Order I haven’t remembered yet.

 

“Look my way!”

The high priestess in the middle pointed to the two failures as she stared down at the two.

“The demon bird you faced… I am certain was the Forbidden Bird from the stories that have spanned over the last few years.”

The white-haired man shaped his chin.

“If that was the case…you both just seemed to be a tad unlucky...If I may say so, your highness.”

The woman standing over Exo-3 and Exo-4 swung out her arm towards the timely man.

“Failures are still that, failures.”

 

 

Her hollow voice rang volumes. It shook my stomach and I wasn’t even the fool being punished. I lied about against the entrance…unable to speak even if I wanted to.

“How do you expect to be praised by Exo-1 with performances like those?”

She scorned, earning a hop from the taller twin-tailed girl.

“I am very sorry your high-“

The burly man stepped in, bringing a cut to her outburst.

“How many times must we scold you, Exo-4? Do not speak unless we address you to!”

“V-very sorry…sir.”

Dejected, the short skirt’s shoulder weighed down like sandbags were placed on her back.

“Exo-3, you even allowed the Ruiner to scar your eye. Now you walk around with such a shameful appearance.”

 

 

“I’m…sorry high priestess Polina.”

I could hear pitiful sobs come from the demon child. Our highness cleared her throat then began once more….

“Exo-3…Exo-4, you two are of the lowest in rank amongst the Exorcist Order. You are the newest as well…”

With a harsh breath, she continues.

“Take this incident as a harsh lesson in what we do. By the blessing of Ave do we do what we must to rid of our foes. Train hard and don’t fail me again.”

“Yes, your highness.”

They chimed in unison before standing up and walking down the holy alley. If that were me in our highness position, I wouldn’t have allowed them to leave without something being broken. How utterly ridiculous.

“Ah, Lady Elie.”

Our high priestess cried out to me. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with this hag, but I played face and walked up to her. When I reached her podium, I got to my knees and held my chest.

“What do I owe the pleasure of your visit to Ave’s Holy Church?”

Of course, I couldn’t speak. So, I leaned up and signed her my reasons.

“I come for the Ave Holy Garbs.”

After finishing my signs, she drew back slightly.

“And what would a former noble of the fallen Celo Kingdom want with such a precious relic?”

Slightly annoyed, I continued my silence messaging.

“I…was…sent by Ave for my mission.”

She looked at me dumbfoundedly.

“Yes…I heard the rumors that you could speak directly to Ave. But how am I supposed to know if what you say is true?”

I lowered my shoulders. I knew this petty human would fight so, I gave her my warning from Ave.

“Tomorrow…it will rain. When it rains it will storm and the holy statue will be struck five times. Afterward, you will hand me the Garbs.”

After my long explanation with sign language, she understood with a nod. So, I turned around and strode out of the church without waiting for a reply. When I reached the hallway, I looked about. This was the Exorcist Order stronghold. The ragtag gang brought together from Ave’s blessing to destroy Ruiners….

“…”

I wanted to laugh but my voice failed yet again. How they come together to kill Ruiners of Wails. But there is only one Ruiner still in my heart… One who nobody shall kill until I sink my lips into her…

“Lady Elie.”

That powerful voice boomed through the halls. There she stood with long blonde hair like an angel sent from heaven. Clad in holy garbs that shine like gems about a sea of diamonds. Tall and powerful, with every click of her heels Ave’s magnificent splendor is chalked down little by little in comparison by her.

“…Exo-1.”

 

 

I mouth but she doesn’t hear my voice. She smiled as we face one another. Her beauty makes me sick.

“What might I owe the pleasure of meeting you here, Lady Elie.”

I shrug, not in the mood to play the mute.

She then puts her large hands around my neck.

“How troublesome this curse of yours…”

She squeezes my throat until a dark field of mana circles around it and pops, kicking her fingers away. Her moonstone like eyes disappear as she closes her eyes, still with a solemn smile on her face.

“How blessed you are though…to not be tainted.”

Disgusted, I  make my way passed her.

“Ah, before you depart, Lady Elie…”

“…”

“Don’t get in the way of our business. You are not an Exorcist member despite your blessing of Ave… So, we will promptly dispose of you if you do plan to step in our affairs.”

I glanced at the vile woman now. With a flick of my longest finger, she chuckled at my reaction. One does not have to be a mute or a sign reader to understand my gesture. I gave her one last smirk as I walked away. Once I obtain my Holy Garb I will set back out in search of that bird.

 

Because only I am blessed to have her as mine. That is the promise I made with Ave.

The Forbidden Bird that no one else can tame but me...

Shall be mine and only mine…

8