2 – The Troublesome Heroine
635 12 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I only met you last week, two times including this. Don't you have anyone more trusted than me?" He asked feeling suspicious of Ember's decision to pick him as an escort.

Styril's guts were telling him that there is big stuff happening around her family if she needed someone to guard her. A crunching sensation dwells in his stomach as if trying to warn him about something... troubling.

Yet, his work as a mercenary always revolves around problems itself, is it not? Styril thought so.

"If I do... I wouldn't have to trouble you about this request of mine, " Ember answered, giving him a hint that she does not have any close contacts.

Styril took a few moments before remembering back that she is a lonely person, which is evident from their first encounter last week. Including himself. So, he could relate to her in a few ways, that not everyone could be trusted.

In other words, Styril is a man that Ember trusted for this task because he is a mercenary, and someone who rekindled her will to live on. If someone in her family was 'caring' enough, she would not have decided to go to that bridge. Alas, the opposite happened.

"The gist of the context is the power struggle within my family members ranking, " Ember gave a slight explanation without going any further as if she is not fully willing to explain the whole story behind.

Styril understood just behind her word 'power struggle'. There might be assassination attempts plotted against her during the tradition, so, she decided to give an escort for protection. Requests like these are quite a hassle to him because he needs to make decisions on the spot to counter assailants actions. Preparation could be made beforehand but, it could not guarantee full prevention.

"Fate is one of a kind comedy, isn't it?" Styril smiles as his mind are more leaning to accepting her employment, earning a small shrug from her. But before that, there is one more question that a real mercenary needs to ask.

"How much is the payment?" He asks as any other mercenary would.

One edge of Ember's lips curled up, which gives her the aura of a confident woman. This is quite a drastic change from the somewhat fragile version of her last week which Styril found rather surprising.

Her slender hand slid into one side of her red trench coat. She pulled out a thin rectangle paper with a growing smile on her face. One which seems to be mysterious but innocent at the same time. As if a menace coated with sugar or the other way around.

Styril recognised that thin paper anywhere. A cheque. It is common in his line of work but, the content on it made it different than others. He received it from her hands before his eyes widen a bit for a split second. It is a blank cheque, with Ember's signature written underneath and a contract comes after.

"This is... a mercenary service isn't worth this much, " He said and push the blank cheque back to Ember, but her hand stopped him halfway.

"No, take it, or you would make me feel guilty of not being able to express my gratitude for what you have done last week, " She retorted, relaxing her own hand away from Styril's hand.

He frowns at her words before giving a sigh. The suspicions in his heart grew weaker as he sees Ember in a newer light. A woman under an altered spotlight shrouded with mystery and determination.

Styril is indeed cautious with acquaintances, but that fact does not change his preferences. Which is the person's will, to change himself or herself in order to change their life for the better.

The troubled expression on his face was obvious even though it was subtle, which Ember found appealing.

"You're a generous person. This cheque, I would keep it for an emergency, " Styril complimented and quickly store the cheque away in a small chest hidden behind a drawer.

"So, you accepted my request?" She asks for confirmation.

"No, " He gave a poker face as he tried to joke, but Ember was not amused.

Awkwardness held high in the tension between them after he tried to humour her. So, Styril scratches the back of his neck as he felt embarrassed from the inside.

"Ah, I tried to joke okay? It's obvious that I already agree to accept your request, " He said and gave her the contract signed with his signature.

"Are you sure you don't want to hear more of my explanations?" Concern hid behind her words after she received the contract.

"No matter how vague or detailed someone's request, a mercenary is responsible for his or her own judgement and injuries. This is even written in conditions of becoming a mercenary, which I agreed to obtain the license, " He explains.

Ember thought that this condition of a mercenary is absurd but she shook it off. Thinking that this is the norm for other mercenaries but, it does not sit well with her because of the thought that Styril has to coup up with that condition.

"But it is up to me to whether explain or not, and I would tell you tomorrow before the event, " Ember lowers her smile. This time seeming more sincere than before, which Styril found odd for her sudden mood swing. But, he felt appreciated by hearing her words.

He did not comment about it and decided to change the topic, after giving Ember a small nod. Too much serious stuff might strain his mind and affect his work performance tomorrow. His reputation and image would be stained within the mercenary community if he does a poor job. So, he decided to take his time to prepare and enjoy some leisure time.

"Would you care for some tea?" He stood up with one of his palms opened in a welcoming gesture.

Ember who was too invested about her request squinted her eyes after hearing his words. Only then, she realised that the business talk was over and waves of relaxation coursed through her body. As if her soul is venting out heat as relieve gradually builds up.

In truth, she was considerably nervous. It was her first time involving herself in something like this. So, completing it with the desired outcome gave her satisfaction.

"Of course, both of us can't deny tea, do we? I'll have the same as last week, earl grey tea, Styril, " She agreed to Styril's offer. Putting a small box covered by black plastic on the edge of the coffee table after Styril went to the kitchen.

In the evening...

Ember left after drinking tea with Styril. Even though both of them wished to stay by each other a bit longer, but none of them voiced about it. The feeling of being a bother one another troubles their heart so, they could only wish to meet each other again sooner, which is tomorrow for Ember's family tradition.

Other than that, he cleaned up the teacups and store it away in the kitchen cabinets. 

"The gears..., " He muttered to himself before working his legs upstairs. Entering the room next to his bedroom. 

The room is plain dark without any sorts of furniture. With the moonlight as a light source from outside illuminating the floor through the window. 

Only after he closed the door, a click could be heard. The subtle sounds of metal turning beating in the room like music to his ear. The nostalgic scene unfolding in front of his eyes as he faithfully waits. The white plain walls push itself forward and slowly descends into the floor revealing another wall lit by violet neon lights with a series of gadgets hanging onto it. A metal shutter automatically shuts the windows to prevent outsiders from peaking, even though the room is on the 1st floor. But it never hurt to be too careful. 

The gadgets displayed around him can potentially harm others. Which is why he separates it from other gadget or equipment which are life-friendly. One of the examples is a bracelet which could transform to a 10mm rectangular titanium shield with 3/4 size of Styril's body, booted with sharp edges on par with a well-forged scimitar blade. This metal shield could change from the bracelet to various shapes, which is possible due to its unknown properties of being flexible. Other than that, Styril always brings this defensive-offensive gadget to every mission as a measure to defend himself. 

"Liquid metal is always useful, " Styril said as he took the bracelet from the wall and wore it at his right wrist. 

His eyes scanned through the arsenals with no interest towards loud weapons. A loud sound during an ambush might alert nearby assailant members, so, the risk of taking firearms is not worth. Sure, suppressors are effective but, he does not have one for the moment. 

An old weapon caught his eyes with designs dated back from the medieval era, but the performance is slightly tweaked to reach the standards of the present weapons. A repeating crossbow. 

He quickly picked it and step on a small button on the floor. The white tiles start to separate from the others forming a square shape, and eventually rose up to become a four-legged table. Styril put the crossbow on the table and insert one bolt into it's serving magazine. He cocked the lever to load in the bold and pulled the trigger. 

*SWISH!*

The bolt cut through the air and pierce through the door. The scene satisfied Styril as he went to a mannequin which had a motorcycle helmet with a smoke symbol on one side of the visor. The symbol of his mercenary codename, Flashbang. The codename is related to his special ability. 

The motorcycle helmet has an inbuilt system which can detect inner muscle movements from others. The system allows Styril to predict his opponents next movement so, he can keep up with their footwork. This helmet also helps him to hide his face and prevent electronic waves from identification devices. In addition, he only uses this helmet for dangerous jobs and he believes his guts that escorting Ember is a risky one. Thus, he put it on the table along with the repeating crossbow. 

"An auxiliary equipment..., " He mutters before going through the gadgets again while looking at a book guide which he wrote for himself. The book contains tags and description for each gadget so that he can find a specific one easier. 

One gadget caught his eyes, which is a rectangular box with the same size of a violin case. It may look like a regular item but it has an internal string system. The string system could be activated by smacking the box at one side to shot the strings in the desired direction and it will latch onto a wall or something solid within the range of 20m. After that, it could pull the user towards the latched location with a strong force to escape from a tight spot or deadly explosions. Moreover, it can also act as a box with enough space to store a disassembled crossbow. 

Styril picked up the 50cm long-brown coloured box, and smack on one of its sides. The strings shot out of the box and matched onto a wall. It pulled itself towards the wall before ending with a loud thud. Styril nods satisfyingly before putting the last gadget he needed on the table, as a preparation for tomorrow. No more than 4 gadgets or his movements could be hindered in action. 

Styril took his time to optimise his gadgets for tomorrow, before leaving the room for something else. 

He changed his clothes to a training garment for some shadow fencing in front of a mirror. The move set comes first, the rapier comes second. Since the fencing movements focus on maintaining distance from opponents with tempo. Like dancing, but with danger. So, this training is important to him. The moves which he used to survive until this day. 

*RING!*

His mobile phone rang right after he got into a stance. A grunt slipped his mouth as he was disturbed from his necessary usual training regime. 

"Who is it this time, " He babbled and saw the name on his phone, 'Prof Starfall'. 

His frowns at the name. Every time this man calls him, it would be something serious. Styril does wish that this professor would joke from time to time, but that seems to be like an imagination. 

"Good evening, Flashbang. Am I talking to the right person?" Prof Starfall greeted using Styril's codename. Extra info, Prof Starfall is somewhat like an informant too. 

"Who else. Anyway, what's for the call?" Styril questioned back while leaning himself against his bedroom doorframe. 

"Good, I was being too cautious because of the recent news, " Prof Starfall explained vaguely which caught Styril's suspicions. His intuition is tingling for answers. 

"News? Is that the reason you called for me? Let me hear it, " Styril said with a churning feeling in his gut. Maybe his past is haunting him back in the form of reality, but that seems to be impossible for the meantime. 

"It's about Nix, one of the top heroes, " Prof Starfall gulp could be heard through the phone call. 

"I know her, you know her and everyone knows. She is a popular hero, what's up with her?" Styril had some past with that hero, but not a pleasant one. So, hearing the name 'Nix' is unsettling for him. 

Prof Starfall knew a part of Styril's past and thought that he could give the mercenary heads up. 

"In the international news, Nix said that she wants to find one of her former party members... that is you, Flashbang. "

I wish you all enjoyed the chapter. Here, an official art I drew for Ember and I'll post Styril's art in the next chapter. Ember's appearance

19