3 – Flash-
468 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A chill into his spine from knowing that 'hero' is tracking him down, due to their past affairs. The thought of her special abilities that could finish him in one move strung the strings of fear in his heart, but he shook it off. If Nix managed to find him, he would just take a peaceful approach, and talk his way out. While keeping himself away from heroes such as her. 

"Also, the news came out two days ago. I thought it would be good to notify you about it, " Prof Starfall added, while a frown rose from Styril's eyebrow upon hearing the released data of the news. 

"You could have informed me earlier, Professor, " Styril commented after suppressing his yawning due to his silent and serene surrounding in his house. 

At the other side of the phone call, Prof Starfall sighs as he fixes his glasses with his middle finger. Pulling phone closer to his ear and kept it on his shoulder while his hands are busy washing dirty dishes. Each movement grace with exaggerated care. Quite a hygienic man. 

"I'm not your informant, Flashbang. Just someone who owes you a bit. "

Styril slightly chuckles at the professor's words, especially at the 'owes you a bit' part. Because he knows that, it is not just 'a bit'. Maybe, Prof Starfall finally gained some sense of humour and intentionally said those words, or he IS just being plain serious. 

"I never knew you can crack jokes, professor. This is the first time I heard your humour, " Styril slightly tilts his head in surprise as his lips curled into a smirk. While still trying to mix the word 'comedy' plus 'Prof Starfall' together, but it was still difficult to imagine. 

One of Prof Starfall's eyebrows twitches in annoyance at Styril's reply. A wry smile plastered on his face as he found Styril's view of him being rather bizarre. Or it is just himself not noticing his strict seriousness? 

"Your answer is quite preposterous. For your info, I have my fair share of experience in comedy as a former stand-up comedian, " Prof Starfall puffs up his chest for a moment of proudness before settling back to normal. Taking a few steps away from the cleaned dishes before giving himself a sit on a chair, in his kitchen which is connected to his private laboratory. 

Styril whistles in awe to the professor's former job with one of his hand scratching the back of his neck. At the same, feeling a sense of joy of knowing more about his job partner's past. Since learning others' past is quite difficult in his line of work because secrecy is one of the priorities except when both parties agree to exchange personal information. 

"You used to be a stand-up comedian? How did you end up being a professor thought?" Styril asked, feeling curious at the change of his job. Even if this conversation strays from the original topic of their talk, it is nice to have a friendly chat once in a while.  Which is one of Styril's favourite moments.

A groan of disappointment could be heard through the phone from the professor as Styril's smirk nervously changes. He thought that his words struck a sore spot of Prof Starfall's memories and slowly shifts his gaze away to the right, trying to make himself look guiltless despite talking through phone. Maybe it is an involuntary action for Styril or everyone in general. 

"Flashbang, people who heard my jokes died out of laughter, " The professor answered the question with a straight face. 

Styril was about to reply but his train of thoughts stop read on track. Considering Prof Starfall's personality, from his view, the professor could be dead serious about his answer, "Like, literally?"

"On the ground, their body squirming due to leftover oxygen, spasming on their vomit of blood-. "

"Now you're the one being ridiculous here, prof, " Styril, with a straight face, caught up with the Prof Starfall's bluff. Earning a bit of the professor's chuckle who waved his hand in a sarcastic wave. 

"I'm jesting, but I do miss my old days as a comedian... The only problem was that no one laughed at my jokes, " The professor shook his head in discomfort after remembering the awkward silence on the stage. Akin to that of a politician who lost the support of all of his loyal citizens. The icy gazes of high expectations prickling against his body still fresh in his mind. Truly, an experience to give stage fright. 

"Oh..., " Styril said as silence tense up the mood of their conversation. As if the warm conversation suddenly turns to ice due to the professor's previous words. While Styril who is inexperienced with stage performances could not relate. So, he could not comment anything about it. 

"Moving on, but before we continue the topic about Nix... Tell me a bit about yourself too. It wouldn't be fair for me, " The Professor taps one of his fingers on the table. A slight sense of anticipation roused in his mind. 

"Sure, I dream of wanting to become a hero in the past..., " Styril drags his tone along his words. His mind drifted somewhere far into the depths of his memories. The flashbacks of him heroically posing in front of a mirror causing himself snicker in disdain. Finding his old self to be naive and idiotic for believing in the unknown. 

"Surely you're joking?" Prof Starfall stops tapping the table and leans on his dining table. Seeming to be giving his interested of parts of Styril's past, ironically. 

"No. I joined Nix's party as a mercenary in hopes to become one... well, here I am now, " Styril rests his head on the door frame. Gazing to the ceiling while resenting his old decisions. As his past kept haunting his dreams and now with Nix searching out for him for whatever her 'justice'. 

"Being the self-explanatory yourself isn't something to be proud of... At least, you didn't regret it?" The professor said in understanding. He was not proud of what he did as a comedian, but it surely is a mistake he learnt from. If not, he might still be delusional as before. 

"I hate those times but, there is no reason to regret it because that was the past me. My current self is different, a separate entity of mind, " Styril responded with a quite thick voice, but blaring with emotions which he harbours in a fit. He coughs a few times to ward off his thoughts and shrugs because dwelling too much in the past is disturbing to him. 

"Despite your words, a part of you is still stuck in the past, correct?" Prof Starfall questions with suspicions towards Styril's unusual tone. Earning no response in return. 

Styril ponders on Prof Starfall's question, feeling quite stunned by it which disarray his mind. One question after another pop-up in his heart, asking himself if he stuck in the past. Confusion muddled his thoughts, sending him into a turmoil of self-torment. Like a whirlpool of thorns, even though the question is simple, but the depth is deeper than it sounds. Tendrils of rejection beating him from left to right, up and down. Styril was too stupefied to answer. 

"-Flashbang, are you still there?" The professor asked, feeling rather strange of Styril's sudden pause. Since he knows that Styril is a handful of steadfast person. So, the absence of an answer after 2 to 4 seconds from the said person is quite unusual. 

Prof Starfall's words managed to shake off Styril out of his heavy daze. He blinks his wet eyes a few times before touching his cheek. The feeling of his tears moistening his fingertips after remembering the image of a friend in his mind. He grits his teeth in anger before muttering a few words' to himself. 

"Of course, the one and only. Let's move along the topic, shall we?" Styril said with a mood swing. In an attempt to stay away from his particular habit of self-loathing, and suggested to move on to the main topic. 

"...if you say so, " Prof Starfall shrugs and continued with the topic regarding of Nix. A part of him still wants to pry a bit of Styril's past but, doing so would lose his partner's trusts. He might ask about it again at a suitable time and place.

"Got some details on where and what time Nix was last seen?" Styril felt sceptical because he had a risky job tomorrow. If Nix were to be close by that time, it would cause a lot of trouble on his parts. But, he could avoid her if he could pinpoint her current location in the city. 

"The good news is I got the latest info about that from my informants. She arrived at our city airport yesterday and was last seen at 3.31 p.m. today. But, I think you wouldn't like her last location, " Prof Starfall explained, giving Styril out the main points he got from the paragraphs of flowery words from his informants. The professor did not mind the unnecessary additional words of over describing each scene, but he does something mistaken them as literature teachers instead of informants. 

"You thought I like having a hero of justice snooping around my work? Hell no. I wouldn't want my source of income taken away because of her, " Styril remarked. Sure, he got a blank cheque from Ember but, there is no way he can store such a large deposit in his house. Suffering from success indeed. 

"You got a point there. The latest info she was last seen at- OI! WHO ARE YOU-!?" The professor shouted. not towards Styril but something else. Which followed by the sound of Prof Starfall's phone falling to the ground. The ding indicating the ending of the phone call came in after. 

Styril held his phone near to his ear while his expression hardens. In truth, he is quite shocked by the turn of events. As a question jolted to his mind, did someone attacked the professor during their phone call? It is highly possible, judging from Prof Starfall's shout as Styril thought.

His ears slightly twitched as he could hear the window from the hallway creaks and small footsteps coming towards his direction. But, Styril kept his grip firm on his phone and talked randomly about Nix as if he was still in the phone call with the professor to fool whoever it is approaching him. At the same, he focuses his senses on hearing. 

*SWISH!*

Styril ducks by the time a long metallic blade cut through the air halfway. His ears would never decide his timing, as the long blade chop into the wooden door frame. 

With no time to waste, Styril swiftly turns his body around and push out his legs. The momentum of the spin provided more force into his shin, as he struck the assailant's leg but, the assailant didn't flinch from Styril's counter. 

The assailant pulls his long sword from the door frame and twisted it down. To deliver a killing blow on Styril's head. 

A 10mm thick round shield formed from Styril's wristband, as the liquid metal solidifies by his will and clanks against the heavy slash. His eyes met with the glowing red orbs of his assailant's own. As if his attacker had gone berserk. 

The strength behind the sword is no joke as Styril could barely hold up against the assailant's weapon. The assailant pulls his weapon back before stabbing down targeting Styril's exposed right shin. Styril pulled his leg on time as the assailant's blade struck the concrete floor causing a crack to form. 

Styril's foot struck the assailant's fully masked face but it did not have any sort of effect on the assailant. The attacker maniacally laughs before grinding his blade against the ground towards Styril's midsection. 

The round shield changes to the shape of a kite with sharp triangle edge at the bottom as Styril strikes it against the ground and push himself up away from the incoming devastating slash. If not, his baby maker would have been chopped in half. 

Styril is in mid-air, with his foot still connected with the assailant's face. His right was single-handedly grabbed by the assailant's inhumanly strong hands as Styril was thrown downstairs. Stumbling onto the wooden floor as he grunts in pain. 

A loud thud could be heard as the assailant jumps down from the first-floor fence, in front of Styril, who is in the middle trying to stand back up. 

Styril endures the shouts of pain from his body and pushes himself away from the ground. Turning around only to meet an incoming kick from the assailant. 

His eyes widen as his arm move involuntarily in a rapid motion. The shield managed to block the kick within the margin, but the assailant's monstrous strength pushes the defensive gadget onto Styril's body. The ridiculous amount of force behind the kick causes him to fly into the kitchen. 

He crashes onto the dining table with splinters prickling his back, drawing out blood which stained his clothes. The sensation felt as if his body was pierced by at least a hundred needles. 

Agile ability users with brute strengths and strong body fortitude are his weakness. At this rate, Styril could not even keep up a proper distance with his fencing knowledge. He noticed the speed and strength of the assailant increases as the fight drags along the time. In other words, he has to end this fight quickly, or he will end up 6 feet underground. 

Styril grits his teeth once again while laying on the ground, before noticing something wet at the edge of his shield. There are pieces of the broken bottle near him, with a familiar smelling liquid spilt on the floor. He smears the sharp of his shield with the liquid before standing back up

The assailant slowly walks up to him as if victory is in the assailant's favour. With a full black suit attire intensifying the dread of the situation while giving Styril a few seconds to breath as a form of mockery. 

Styril's emotions were not wavered by the scene. Instead, he prepares himself for the next attack before an idea crosses his mind. 

He balls his right hand into a fist and planted his feet firmly on the floor. Waiting for the assailant's next move as his right palm heats up. 

The atmosphere between them grew silence, but the tension is still there. No words were exchanged between the two men, only physical actions are used to answer each other. 

The cloth mask covering the assailant's mouth bulges. Showing the creepy smile beneath the mask as he shots forward in high speed, thrusting the tip of his blade towards Styril's heart. 

Styril breathes in and kept his mind serene. Narrowing his eyes at the incoming attack and dodges the sword at the very last moments. Throwing a punch onto the assailant's face. Even though he knows that this would not inflict any damage on the assailant but, his real intention is different. 

Styril opens his palm onto the eyes of the assailant. The 'flash' rang loudly inside his head as rays of lights burst throughout his palm and pierce through the assailant's gaze. Like a camera flash at a point-blank in front of someone's face. Which could potentially blind the assailant. 

The assailant took a step away with a loud shout of pain. Covering his face with eyes reddening from the effects of Styril's ability. Distracted by the pain inflicted on his brain and sight. 

Styril took the opportunity and dash forward with the edges of his shield up. He went low and slices with all of his strength onto the calf of the assailant's legs. Including the front and back of each of the assailant's limps with the peak of his speed and precision. Slashing a long wound on the assailant's spine. But only managed to scratch through the tough skin, bits of flesh and draw out a small amount of blood. 

The assailant groans in pain before slamming Styril's torso with the back of his left arm. Knocking Styril away and crash through the sofa in the living room. 

A wave of relief wash over Styril's face as he relaxes against the broken furniture. Even though the assailant is still alive. 

The assailant used his sense of hearing to know Styril's location and managed to guess the right direction. A hoarse shout burst out of the assailant's mouth as he dashes towards Styril with the tip of the blade. 

Styril's heart beating fast at the deadly sight of the assailant. But, he stays firmly against his broken sofa after thrusting his instinct. As he is confident that he would survive this either avoiding or not. 

The speed of the assailant's legs slowly diminish as he gets closer to Styril. As if his body has sunk deeper into some kind of mud. The joints of his limps convulsing in pain, restricting more of his movements. His knees gave out as he falls and flopped against the wooden floor. 

"How..." The assailant weakly said to Styril.

"Poison, I smear some on my shield blade, that's all, " Styril calmly explains before witnessing the slow death of his assailant. The eyes of his attacker close, as if he has given up his life to fate. While Styril's sighs in pain before getting some first aid kit.

I'm sorry for the late update, I got into some trouble for a few weeks and now I'm back. Frankly speaking, I felt lazy to study for my exams but, maybe I'll revise a bit after this. Furthermore, I can't post Styril's art yet, since the early drafts are terrible. Also, don't be surprised that I suck at writing action but I want to try it out, and it seems fine to me, I guess? Anyways, I pray you all the best of days

19