4 – Her Endearment
604 8 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At midnight, In a small modest house, a young woman could be seen reading an original non-fiction action-adventure book titled 'Dead Hero'. A story about a man who was deemed as a villain by the public, but it was the opposite. None of them knew that he was the one saving their lives from further grave dangers. 

Her red blood coloured eyes faithfully following each word written in the paragraphs. The eagerness in her mind wanting more of the content delivered by the author while reading the paragraphs one after another. Quick and precise. 

The excitement boils in her blood as she reaches closer to the ending of the latest chapter which is about the main character reaching the limit of his heroism and develop more into an anti-hero type after losing his one last friend in a public death execution. The reason for hatred to grow in the main character's heart. 

Ember, who finished reading the chapter, laughs before tears flowed down on her cheeks. Laughing in the form of hatred towards the public in the story while sniffling about the death of the main character's friend. Even though it is non-fiction, her emotions were true. 

She was about to read the author's message but the knocks on the door disturbed the moment. Her eyes narrow in annoyance before she shook her head and stood up. 

"Who is it?" She said towards the hallway, slipping her feet into some slippers. 

"Servant Fiona Chambers, Lady Ember, " A feminine monotone voice rang out from the other side of the door, with a tad of electricity. 

'It has always been her visiting my house' Ember thought before opening the door to reveal a tall woman in a black sundress with long sleeve white t-shirt underneath. Her robotic calm eyes were grey complimenting her fair skin and her white ponytail hair. 

"Is this about my parents again? If so, explain straight to the point, " Ember asked, not wanting to hear the unnecessary details. The lingering thoughts of her parents bother her mind. 

Her eyes meet the gaze of respect from the android named Fiona. The only servant gave to her from her family, as a form of mockery from her siblings. Even though androids are more advanced, efficient and versatile than human servants. Android servants were often looked down upon and hated because of their controversy back in the old wars of 'Pandemonium Tragedy'. 

Despite all of the Androids bloody history, Ember did not care an ounce of it. No matter the origins of the person, as long as someone could prove themselves to be useful, Ember would accept them as servants. No more than that, except for a certain man. 

"There are no words from Lady Ember's parents. Lady Ember, I suggest hearing the important news first, " Fiona softly spoke after bowing her head as a form of greeting. 

"Important news? Be more specific, please, " Ember asked once again. Raising one of her eyebrows with curiosity. 

"The mission Lady Ember had given to me, regarding observing the activities of the mercenary, " Fiona explained and reminded the red-haired lady. Which earned a few blinks from Ember as she was trying to remember. 

'Oh! I almost forgot about that' Ember thought as she coughs a few times to disperse her puzzled expression. 

"I-if you're here after receiving the mission 1 hour ago... Something must have happened, " Ember said after throwing the feeling of embarrassment to the side. But the small blushes were still visible on her cheeks. 

Fiona reaches for the back of her head with one of her hands and pulled out a small chip. With a phone in her other hand, she inserts the small chip into the device and turns it on. Scrolling through the files before clicking on a video and presents it to Ember. 

"This is..., " Ember mutters before noticing the masked man approaching Styril with confidence in the video. Which causes her composure to slowly chip off bit by bit. 

"This is the video I recorded of the assault on the mercenary Styril, " The android said before reaching for something else in her handbag. 

"Wait, why didn't you help him?" Ember questions Fiona as she kept her gaze in the video. Her tone slightly growls with the small anger from her heart. 

Fiona tilts her head curiously towards the red-haired lady while finding the behaviour of her mistress quite weird when it is regarding that man. She never saw Ember behave like this for another person and would like to know the reason why, but digging into details might not be necessary for a servant like her. 

"Lady Ember did say to avoid any contact with the mercenary Styril at any cost. Perhaps, Lady have forgotten about that a few hours ago?" She reminded Ember while taking the temperature of her Lady with her robotic eyes scanner. 

Ember's cheeks burn up again from her self-embarrassment as she waves her hands lightly, "I was just testing the capabilities of your memories. Because you're one of the first-gen androids, so, a check on a part of your system is necessary. "

The shock expressed on Fiona's face as she somehow felt amazed by Ember's (made-up) test. She bows once again, "As expected of Lady Ember, the heir to the head position of Incitee family. "

Ember nods in agreement with Fiona's praise, feeding a part of her ego. She pauses the video at the middle of Styril's fight, at the right moment when a glimpse of assailant's face was shown, "Do you know the identity of the assailant, Fiona?"

"Yes, Lady Ember. It happens to be one of Lady's family top guard who was sent to test mercenary Styril, " Fiona explained as each words pummeling into Ember's mind. Her own family is minding her business again. 

"Is it from my parents? Or my siblings?" Ember's tones became heavier with each word. Her mood escalated down as time goes on. 

"From the information, I have hacked and noticed there are suspicious exchanges of texts and money between two anonymous users in an encrypted messaging network. Which I could identify as the network used between the assailant and a representative of Lady Ember's family. "

Flashes of Ember's family faces ran through her mind as she tries to pinpoint the exact person who would do this to her. The highest possibility that it is either her elder brother or her elder sister. 

"The person. I'm asking for the name of the person who sent the assailant, " Ember repeated her words earning a submissive nod from Fiona. 

"Forgive me for my misinterpretation Lady Ember. It is decided by Lady Ember's whole family. The one who gave the idea was Lady Ember's elder sister, Moana Incitee. "

"Ooh, of course, it has to be her, " Ember mutters to herself before giving out a small giggle. Her eyes glaring with abhorrence towards her family members. 

Fiona closed her eyes and waited for Ember's next words, but none gave. So, she asked, "What are my new orders now, Lady Ember?"

It took only a few seconds for Ember to decide Fiona's new mission. She thought that she has to hit back harder on her family because of the recent events which trigger her emotions more than the norm, "Observe the activities of my elder sister, collect some dirt from her. "

Unlike human servants, Android servants excel more in stealth skills. Which Ember would fully utilise this time. 

"Any other additional tasks, Lady Ember?" Fiona asked again, earning a concentrated gaze from Ember. 

The red-haired woman curls up the edges of her lips and smiles quite differently. She thought that if she is going to hit hard, she has to go for the quick ending of it as well, "If you spot an opportunity to get closer, take it, and assassinate my sister. I couldn't care less about some busybody vermin like her. "

Fiona was mentally startled about the changes in Ember's demeanour. She used to be a kind and fragile girl, but ever since that day, she has changed to a drastic degree. Maybe, this is for the best of Ember. 

"As you wish, Lady Ember, " Fiona bows to Ember before taking a few steps back. 

"Have I mentioned that I don't like it when someone else mentions Styril's name instead of his codename?"

Fiona widens her eyes for a moment before closing it back. A small smile plastered once face as she fully understood of her lady's endearment towards the mercenary, "I apologise once again, Lady Ember. I shall not refer to his name and will refer to his codename in the future. "

"I'm pleased now. Good luck with your mission, " Ember hands over the phone back to Fiona with additional details. Fiona bows once again before leaping very high to the air and disappears into the forest. 

"It's time for the plan to get in motion, " Ember muttered to herself before closing the door. 

The resolve in her heart burning brighter than ever before. Blazing with passion and hatred because of her family. On the other hand, she directed all of her endearment who rekindled the small flame in her soul, Styril.

How many words should I write for each chapter? The shorter the word count, the faster I update.
  • 1000+ words Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 1500+ words Votes: 20 46.5%
  • 2000+ words Votes: 20 46.5%
Total voters: 43
15