ch 1 beginning
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        in the small village of Rast begins a rather long tale. one with blades and magic, nightmares and dreams, and even demons and hero's... though are they not often the same?

         off to the side of the village lies the Zaln river, a river with such a harsh current that what few stones that lie in the river are have been worn keener than any razor! It is there that a small girl of ten kneels drowning her cloth dress in the current gently humming a dark tune. spiteful calm and resilient she seems to be the exact opposite of a hero. both her nature and heritage seem to bolster that very fact to an extreme.

         her home, due to the villages' views is the very tree not but 20 feet away from the fatal river. her home was littered with pots made of dried clay and were filled with anything she could find value in safe keeping ranging from food to even the few books she had gotten or managed to "procure" among the village refuse! in the center of the chaotic arrangement at the base of the tree was a bed of leaves were she normally slept, when the villagers were ... calm and uneventful. Though this never seemed to last long.

         she was blamed for nearly all that occurred, even though she was never really present for most of it. it only made matters worse when someone held her responsible even though they were caught in the act, like she had been the one to make them do what they had! she never really cared though. to her it wasn’t like she needed them... or wanted them around.

         in fact there was only one reason she hadn’t left was the one person who despite all reason didn’t see her as the center of misfortune like all others! the daughter of the merchant Levier a prominent member of the community. this girl the same age as the other was Teressa. due to her father’s status she didn’t have much knowledge of the hatred and none of the "altercations" that would take place... when they could find and catch her of course. despite her age and size, she was surprisingly as strong and a little faster than most of the full-grown villagers!

         though at times she has considered becoming a permanent resident of the dazed forest. she would go through occasionally, to get supplies or simply, just get away from it all. though it only took a concerned glare and "we arn’t supposed to go in there" from Terresa to keep her under her tree. in the forest wasn’t really all that dangerous, barring the disorienting mist that caused one to hallucinate. though she was entirely unaware of this... concerning factor she was not told and unaffected by it. even the irritable paralytic berry's that grew from her tree and littered home were nothing more than another food source. apparently, they were supposed to paralyze and inflict enough pain to cause your heart to seize up.

         in truth her knowledge in general was... left wanting. all that she academically knew from reading to counting all came from Terresa. even the very clay pots that littered her home was brought from Terrassa knowledge! she however was not despite her lack of education, stupid. she was actually very intelligent and cunning. enough so to figure out to make rough traps for prey on her own ... or any problem that might occur. the problem lied in a sheer lack of needing to know, or simply not being bothered by it, example berries. nothing was dangerous there to her. the most dangerous animal around were deer and there was no flora around that were actually even a little toxic for her. with the exception of the villagers it was a completely safe environment. Almost like a sand box... almost.

ch.1   spark

        I take in a deep breath taking in the scent of the fall leaves slowly tilting my head to the side to look at the blinding pinkish light that glistened on the grassy field around me. despite the comforting feeling I hissed in frustration. Slowly stretching out I ease my way out of the squelching mud and soaked leaves. it rained. ... fuck

         eventually I sit up sending wisp of the red mist spiraling around and trailing behind me. making my way to the river weaving past my pots I snatch a green palm sized berry off the ground with me to the river. with a sharp bite I cleaved the fist sized berry in two, seed and all only savoring its spicy and sour taste for a brief moment until the next bite and was finished by the time I reached the river bank.

         pulling off my cloth I thrust it into the frigid water keeping a death grip on the article to keep it from flowing away, namely, to avoid Terresa’s annoyance and wrath. I laughed at how useless her sowing lessons seemed to prove to be. to me at least. I only have this after all and not enough cloth to fix it. I watched as the article of clothing danced to and fro in the current as the leaves and mud were sheared off it at a terrifying pace.        

         sigh. why does the mud always seemed to sink into this thing? upon hearing someone stumbling to me I recalled what happened to the people and things that fell into the abyssal current here. all who fell end up as nothing more than bloody smears on the rocks ahead then gone as fast as they fell being drug down deeper and deeper into the river. the worst part of it was, is that they aren’t even trying to be quiet. but I guess that’s what she does. never quiet. nothing like that green-eyed boy siting in the bushes trying to be as quiet as possible and failing. every breath was strained unreasonably causing wheezing, the branch he was holding was moved far far too low and practically left him completely visible. if he would just sit there and not shake I probably would have never know he was there. he was eyeing me with the same eyes that Terresa had when I made traps for the rabbits. he was just watching and I probably just made him jump out of his skin. why do they all act so weird when you stop wearing things?

        Terresa: hey! what are you doing!

         I let out a laugh as he twitched and even harder after I turned around. he was as red as my hair now.

        Clair: just washing my clothes. don’t you tell me to do that often?

        Terresa: but not... bare! what if someone sees you!

 I shrugged

        Clair: well you’re usually the only one who comes here. usually speaking of which. hey, don’t you think it’s time you left green eyes?

        he held no response not even a twitch. Terresa looked around.

        Clair: what do you not know what color your eyes are? ... I mean you bush boy!

        it was then he flinched, and his face went into a complete panic before he bolted away.

         Terresa: crilt! I’m telling on you when I get back home!

        Clair: why no one really cares? besides better that than other things.

        Terresa: other things? what else could he possibly be doing that is worse than peeping?

         Clair: acting like everyone else... besides he was there when I woke up. it’s not his fault that I started washing my.. dress? he was problem wondering why everyone was freaking out all the time like you do.

        Terresa: sigh. you’re not different. your you.

         I started laughing at that.

        Clair: yeeeaaaahhh the difference is?

        she gave me a withering look!

         Clair: ok ok, but really? if I were wrong would this be my home? there are other places to put me. like that inn we never use.

        she sighed and looked down and started thinking. I always liked that. she always thinks before talking.

        Terresa: ... none, but you arnt different. and I think your silver eyes (cat like) and (black horns) are very pretty.

         I sighed. I don’t really feel like proving her wrong... or showing her what those bastards do when she isn’t looking.

         Terresa: the boys should stop being gross.

        Clair: they do that...  I think it’s normal to. their dads usually pat the on the back or something like that when they think no one is looking.

        her brow started to furrow at that. I could see the gears turning.

         Clair: don’t think about it too much. plus, the girls don’t really seem all that angry. otherwise I think they would all do what err what’s her name did to Brulk.

        she broke out laughing!

         Terresa: yeah she kicked his private so hard doctor Vaz had to do something to him after ... dad wouldn’t tell me what though... he also told me to do that to who ever said they wanted to ask his consent (to marry)... sigh no one will tell me what he meant. ... hey, lets go to the village I’m going to get you something to at least wear while you are washing... maybe even something to go with your hair... blue maybe?

        Clair: sigh are you really going to make me go there? and will blue even really look good? it kind of is the opposite if red.

        Terresa: yep contrast, it’s all about contrast ... and now I think I’m going to get you a pretty dress.

         I let out a heavy sigh as I weighed my options. it was quite obvious that I wasn’t going to have a say in the matter.

        Clair: ok... but let’s keep this quick. you know I don’t like it there. ...and that they don’t like me there either

2/16/16

        Teressa: well then I’ll just bring it to you.

        it was almost funny watching the gears turn in her head. well almost but if I don’t go I’m sure that they will find something about that anyway.

        Clair: no, its fine they would say something anyway. though I don’t know how I’m going to keep it... well ill just keep it in a pot... well let’s go then.

         after all this was going to end badly any way. I grabbed my "dress" and wrung it out and slipped it on. she lit up and grabbed me by my hand dragging me along the way. sigh I hate it when she gets this excited! it always seems to make things worse. hopefully her dad isn’t out.

        Terresa: come on hurry up!

        the cheer is so ... hmm? after a moment I started moving enough for her to stop trying to drag me about.

        Clair: so, what exactly did you have in mind?

        Teressa: well... I’m still thinking of a dress.

         Clair: … ok.

         whatever makes her happy. slightly tired and my clothes still a little wet we arrived to the village. and...it was only a mere few minutes into the village that the normal antics began. it was hard to not let out a sigh as I managed to snatch an apple out of the air. all I saw was the red blur dart out in front of me... it always surprises me when I move like that. I looked at the shop keeper with proud disdain.

        with a wink I took a deep bit into the apple and watched him turn red as I chewed it all down. he just stared on in disbelief. not surprising they can’t move like that after all.

        Clair: thanks for the gift... mister. 

         clerk: fuck... thief! thief!

       

        I sighed. he did exactly what I should have expected ... fuuuuuck! .... every single time.

        Clair: hey if you didn’t want me to eat any of it then you shouldn’t have given it to me.

        I look around and found the asshole who would take his side... well they all would really.

        Clair: isn’t that right jarred.          

        he fumed. then I felt something hit me in the back of my head, hard. I looked back at the furious man.

        Teressa: hey he did throw it! he should be in trouble for throwing things at her

        he let out a long sigh. clearly thinking on what the best approach with Teressa would be. he leaned down after a moment of thought and whispered in my ear

               Jared: the only reason why you are not being beaten right now is her.... but you will be. leave as soon as she is done with you.

        Clair: ok sir I will see you then and I look forward to it.

        I smiled as large as I could... why not keep Teressa in the dark?... well darkish, I know she is not stupid. he merely glared and grumbled under his breath. though I heard him and I hope Teressa didn’t. "fucking demon". I grinned to myself. in a very small way, I won that one... it’s not often I escape blame... even if it’s only for a little while. I just need to remember to remember to hide for a little while. we watched as he walked off.

        it seemed like it was hours we spent weaving through the crowd of glaring villagers to our destination. the villages seamstress. I still don’t understand why they all stand here at the shops to talk when they have an entire village to do so. when we stopped in front of the woman’s stall she let out a long drawn out exacerbated sigh.

        seamstress: I’m not touching it.    

        Teressa: what?!

        Clair: my clothes they are pretty bad.

        she looked over and said oh then back to ... her. when she did, I put my finger over my lips and the subtly pointed at Terresa. she should know better! levier would have her hide if she did too much in front of her. she rolled her eyes.

        seamstress: so, what do you want?

        now she just sounded ...board.

        Teressa: a blue dress in her size please.

"she gave out a flat no." i can pay.

        seamstress: do you have any idea how much blue dye usually cost? and you want me to make a dress for... a child?  

        Teressa: dad said that it was white, pink and yellow dyes that were expensive blue is really cheap!     

        seamstress: sigh really now? well at least you learned something from him. now why don’t you take a lesson from your mom and some of the others who have fallen and---.  

        Clair: do you really want me running around naked?" she gave me a terrified look". i mean this thing is only going to last maybe another week or so. “

        seamstress:... fine just take it.

        she pulled out a small dress and started running it through a blue dye. she roughly handled it dye sloshing it onto the counter and staining the once pristine counter. then she pulled out a multicolored towel and rolled the dress into it and started kneading the dyes out of it. then she shoved the dress in my hands. 

        Terresa: art you going to make it fit her?

        seamstress: no charge just leave and I’m sure she will grow into it.

        she sounded... sorrowful? it looked like Teressa was going to say something but I pulled her along back to my tree. she was silent the whole way. when we got there I stretched it across a few pots to dry. looking at it, it was blue but had several different dark blue hues. and some wear the dye never really hit the white material.

        Teressa: what is wrong with everyone?

        Clair: no idea, don’t even worry about it though.

        no idea? isn’t it obvious? oddly enough we stayed there in silence just awkwardly looking around for a few hours and it stayed that way until one of Terisa’s friends showed up. which was ... odd they are usually to afraid. even odder (odd) she told us about a man who was teaching... magic? after she left I decided to ask her what she wanted to do. after all, why would someone bother?       

        Clair: you think she was telling the truth?    

        instead of replying she grabbed my new dress and threw it to me with a smile. I sighed and smiled back. clearly, we decided to go check it out. I threw on the now thankfully dry dress. it was a little loose but that might as well be quite fitting considering she just randomly grabbed it! then we started back for the village. Terresa was oddly silent on the way there. but I didn’t question it. she had moments like this after all. after a few minutes I apparently wasn’t going fast enough! Teressa grabbed my hand and started running. after that it didn’t take long for us to find the matter at hand. surprisingly not only was he not only teaching them magic he was doing it with each child one by one.

         he was a strange looking man; his hair was an odd blue green and had sharp features. and despite looking like he belonged in a circus his clown like clothes were made of what looked like a nice almost silk material. everyone watched him completely entranced as he went from child to child handing them differing cards when they had done well or... failed. the cards were seemingly random at first but with the ones that could only use one element got a card with that color like blue with water. the real odd part is that they all seemed to glow, well all but the "fail" cards. eventually he narrowed it down to just the two of us. unsurprisingly he went to Terresa first. typical!

        ???: hello, my dear how are you to day?

        Terresa: I’m well sir.

        ???: good good well then let’s start with water, shall we? just chant after me and imagine it all pooling into your hand.     

 as she did as she was told it proved to be an immediate success! every time... I watched as the man got more and more... startled?     

        ???: well well every element... my dear if you could tell me your name and get your parents I would be very great full. ah and here.

        he handed her a maroon card and Terresa just ran off not sure why though? did he scare her?oh... magic.. her mom.

        ???: well I believe that it is your turn though I’m not sure the results would be very surprising. then again that just happened.

        Clair: ok ... but what just happened? 

        ???: it’s rare to be able to use more than two elements and usually takes years of practice to accomplish more than that so, just out right using the basic six well I’m sure you could imagine, yeah.... well let’s see about you? we'll start with fire and then shadows, then we will see what happens from there.   

        Clair: ... didn’t you have every one use water first?

        ???: ah very observant, that’s very good. you see its usually the safest to use so I start with that, but with your heritage its very rare for it to deviate from fire and shadow. also, its rare for them to have only one its part of being half.      

        Clair: ... is that why I’m last?

        he smiled 

        ???: yes, so don’t feel down about it... after all best for last right?

        I laughed.

        it’s strange seeing someone who isn’t always pissed!

        just as was said fire was a guaranteed. I could even manipulate it to make rough shapes of things. ... though to his confusion I couldn’t get any other element to work. not even shadow would do anything at all.    ???:hmmmmmmmm.... well perhaps both of your parents had fire attribute... I hear it has a higher probability of happening then... well any way regardless you seem to have quiet an advanced ability for fire though... compounded attributes? sorry off topic. well m... what is your name?     Clair. well truth be told those spells I taught were made to be purposefully weak and stable to the point the couldn’t really be altered easily so you making those ... animals right I’m fairly certain I saw a dog or a horse, well that shouldn’t have really been so easily doable for a beginner. so be proud of that. that being said would you be willing to get your parents for me?

        he slid two red cards into my hand.

        Clair: sorry, I don’t have any. 

        he looked at me saddly for a moment.     

        ???: ah I’m sorry to hear that. in that case sigh would you bring me your guardian?  

        I tilted my head at him not entirely sure what that meant .

      Clair: ... i live alone. and me and the villagers dont get along. soo i live over that way under the tree with green spikey fruit.... hey why do the cards glow?

         he was about to say something but then he showed up. Sigh, levier with Terresa. he glared at me before he spoke

        levier: I believe that you have ask my daughter to bring me here?       

        ???: yes sir, my name is kaby and i am from the elemental tower and i am scouting for those with talent in the magic arts.

        levierre: and how much will this cost?  

        he seemed rather annoyed for some reason. why? i watched as kaby sighed and shake his head.

        kaby: none and i wouldn’t have asked for you to come if it did, I would have come to you. no your daughter has shown quite a lot of potential and would have no expenses. a full scholarship.    

        this seemed to throw levier off and left him completely surprised.

        levier: truly? well... would you mind showing me? i would gladly have her go if she wants.

        Terresa: yes!

        Clair: yeah it should be fun so you should go.

        Teressa: wait what about you?      

        levier: what about her?  

        kaby: well I was actually going to ask her to come with as well.

        levier: ah so that’s your game. she will not be going anywhere with you, you little-.     

        Clair: not going.

        there was a long pause and levier was once again surprized.        levierre: why?

        i leaned in and started with a whisper.  

        Clair: because she is the only one who has ever been nice to me. I may be able to leave but I could have done that already, she is the only reason I haven’t. I’m not going to take something she really wants like this away from her. so how about I stay and she goes?

        I lean back out and start talking normally.

        Clair: and I also like my tree. I’m happy enough there. and I want to be surprised at all of the amazing things that you will be able to show me Terresa.

               kaby: well... if that is what you want...are you sure didn’t you just say you were alone?

               Terresa: umm... are you ok Clair? 

         i nodded.

        kaby: ... ok ... well if you are ok with her going and you want to go then you should go pack       

        I hugged Terresa and said goodbye and then watched them leave. the two men were both confused and while happy I could tell Terresa was being a little slower than usual. I turned about started for leaving the village... or at least until I heard levier call out to me. when I turned around I found that he was alone. with the exception of the confused onlookers. even I was confused. it did not take long for him to catch up with me. then he stood there just looking on as if i weren’t there while the crowd seemed to gather. unfortunately this included jarred.

        levier: why did you not go?

               Clair: I believe I told you. I’m not going to ruin this for her. that and I can leave here at any time. it wouldn’t be hard to sneak in every once in a while to see if she has come back. besides I’m sure that there are less monsters out there than in here.

               I looked around on that last bit just to make sure that they knew exactly who I was referring to there.

               Clair: I mean really it’s like you all really still believe that I actually come here and do thing when each and every one of you have thrown the blame on me when you know I had nothing to do with it ... I mean really I don’t even know your name but didn’t you blame me for you cheating on your wife?

        I watched as they all got angrier, all but levier.    

        Clair: well I have bad news for you all. you aren’t going to have me to blame any more. I’m going to be leaving, not permanently but for extended periods. levier if she asks tell Terresa that I took up hunting and as far as you know can be gone for a week or so. its definatly going to be a lot longer but as long as she knows eventually, she'll find me here. .... if she ever really wants to come back any way. I know I don’t really want to. well I would love to keep this going but I’ve got some "hunting" to go at. it’s nice to be rid of you demons.

 

        I walked away from the livid crowd leaving the very confused levier behind. once I did, I realized just how tired I was, so after I got out of site, I stepped into a thorn bush and fell asleep far too tired to make the full trip. only briefly waking to find a somewhat large group heading for my home. I found myself in the next morning by the time I actually woke up. slowly and quietly I made my way back home carful to keep a look for anyone who might have been there though it wasn’t likely that anyone would have been even with how angry they were. I was very wrong. when I finally had arrived I only felt rage, they had burned and smashed everything. my tree. my pots, and everything in them gone or torn up. i stomped through the wreckage to find anything that was not broken and found myself screaming and crashing at the sound of a metal snap. looking down I found what it was.

        Clair: bear traps! fucking bear traps!    

        jarred: yes, have to keep you still after all.

        Clair: sigh why? I’m leaving any way. 

        I started trying to pry it off only for it to dig in deeper.

        Jared: not going to work that’s made to keep Karin in place. this is a long-time coming demon. an awfully long time coming.

        he started coming closer while brandishing his club.

        Clair: really? and I guess the other times weren’t?

        he laughed darkly and started swinging. thankfully after the third hit he knocked me out. unfortunately, I woke up feeling everything that happened while I was asleep. I groaned in the agony.      

        Jared: you just don’t die do you?  

after a few moments I realized that he was dragging me to the river by my foot ... and that the dress that she had bought me was a ripped mess.

        Clair: you ruined the dress that she got me.  

        Jared: oh, that’s what your mad about? typical demon. Well it’s not going to matter to you in a few minutes any way.

        he looked back at me not stopping.

        jarred:  really nothing to say? I’m surpri-.

        levierre: what the fuck are you doing?! why is there a trap on her leg?

        he let go of my leg and kicked me to the edge of the river leaving me reeling from coughing.       

        Jared: just getting rid of the demon sir should have been done long ago but the bitch just does not die, hopefully the river will solve the problem this time. especially now that it needs to be taken care of.

        levierre: but she wasn’t coming back?  

        jared: and let her terrorize other villages? better to do it now and well if it doesn’t work this time then she still wont be our problem and we could still say we tried.

        levierre: she surprised me yesterday and did something I never thought she would she put my daughter first even though she had a chance to leave and live quite well. jarred I’m going to have to ask you to step away from that child.

        jared: well bitch it looks like you may have some company on the riverbed. can’t let corruption go after all.

        I had to die for one of those bastards to stop? sigh well he’s her dad. I grabbed his leg as he went toward levierre making him stumble and started the thankfully brief chant burning his leg and catching his clothes on fire. instantly he kicked me into the river. I plunged into the frigid waters sinking and being drug along and down. it did not take but a few brief moments of struggle before I collided with something and everything faded to black.

                       CH.2 The forest

        I awake my eyes snapping open and springing up. the movement causing agony incarnate to run rampant across my back! after several moments I can move again though not well. every movement was filled with twitches and jerks and made all the harder trying to move in the mud of the riverbank. eventually I found myself numb and on my back watching the sky and what little clouds there were, merely watching them come and go. Then at sunset let everything fade back into darkness.

        awake once again though still twitching I was able to stand. then I snapped, rage fueling every movement every punch into nothing and the ground, and the burning. when i finally calmed down I found myself kneeling in flames, still cursing each of those mother fuckers. then oddly enough I felt hollow, and tired. looking around I don’t see anything to eat, until I walk to the river. slow and shallow I can see the fish merely loitering about. Left with no way to get any of them I did the next best thing, dropping to my knees I just fell into it headfirst and started drinking the water. I did this until it felt like I was on fire and remembered I needed to breath. Then I found myself merely starring at the fish. the only thought in my mind was that i was very very fucking hungry!  then I let to the largest one, and caught it... or something similar. I walked out of the water with its fangs still latched to my side. then once I was far enough away from the water I burned it until it went limp. After I pried its mouth open to remove its teeth from me and covered the bleeding marks with my hand. Looking over it I found that I burned it black. still I found that beneath the charred flesh was some very delicious well-cooked meat! the bones... were ok but not going to eat those again, if I can help it.

        going back to the river I found myself staring again. but with a new idea in mind. they were not going anywhere and weren’t going to be hard to catch. the only thought in my mind was can I use magic fire to catch them? would it just go out like normal fire? In the books fire ball was supposed to do something like that when it hits something.

        raising my hand high into the air I started chanting the one spell I knew and did everything I could to add to the flames and make them ...closer? more ball like? then I threw it down toward a fish and immediately regretted it. with a loud boom I was thrown back bouncing on the ground intel I slid into a roll like motion and stopped. my ears rang for a long time oddly enough not actually hearing anything. all the sound around me seemed to be gone. that and as i moved about to retrieve the fish that were flung out of the water I found that I couldn’t actually go in a straight line and it was even harder to stand up right without  starting to lean. so, after gathering them I sat and started eating my prey.

        I found my self-awake again... and completely dumbfounded... it had been there the entire time opposite to the river! ... the forest... was... blue. everything merely different shades of blue. The only exception was the head high red mist, like the mist that would spill from the forest by my river. not once do I remember reading about this place. not one of Teressa’s books ever mentioned any place like this not her stories. Not her studies either. looking at it felt so bizarre... yet right.

        Clair: where the hell am I?

         ... and where do I go? I read that you should follow a river when you are lost if available due to settlements being built near them. ... it was true of rast. but do I really want to? wont it be the same? Do I really want to go back to... that? ... but if they think that I’m dead I could go to Teressa. just have to tell her that she shouldn’t tell them that I’m there. hmmm so follow the river south then get directions to the ... ah yeah, the elemental tower. that’s what he said it was right?

         ok next problem. what happens if I run into a bear, or worse? will it run away if I use magic? I read that magic and fire weird animals out and makes them skittish. ooooo and that people who use magic use wands and staves to make them stronger. something about catalyst. I think I’d rather a staff. ... a staff is basically a magic stick? so to get a stick and make it a magic stick? that’s basically what they did in the stories. get so and so branch prune it, coat it in something and say a bunch of spell words I know a few after all and done!

         ok first stop forest then go down river. ... this is a lot like getting kindling. it did not take long for panic to set in. ... ok what am I missing cause this pile of ashes is only getting bigger. ah the coating ... will sap work oooo sap with the ashes mixed in! with a deep breathe I set back to it.

         ..............ok now I remember why I hate getting sap and its infernal stickiness. but I think I have enough... I know I feel tired enough for enough. aaaaaaannndddddd still failing. ok this might not be......was that a giggle?

         before I knew it, everything started to blur and fade. then slowly come back. well that was odd. and everything is on fire ...and normal and blue flames! ohhhh and blue cinders that’s actually real pretty!...and I’m holding a white stick...err staff!

         hands settle onto my shoulders. the one on the left slowly trailed upward and settled onto my face. frozen breath shifted through my hair. the other hand drifted down until it reached my waist, then it pulled me into an embrace. then a gentle tug backward and I found myself falling the world above me blacker than the night every could be . the one behind me let out a content sigh. it smells ...sweet. at the thought its eyes snapped open revealing black sclera and fluorescent dark green eyes! what’s wrong here? how am I seeing behind me? hmmm she felt human? but that also felt wrong. very very very wrong. the sweet scent seemed to amplify when she spoke!

         her voice filled the abyss as she spoke both a distant and close. broken like she didn’t know how to speak. yet knew the language.

         ???: tell me what bussiness does a naked half demon child have in my domain?

         it sounded like she was teasing me, like she knew

         ???: damn men right? but then humans huh? all so ...typical.

her eyes became sympathetic at that. ...how did she even know? she laughed!

         ???: i can see it in your eyes. unfortunately, it’s not a very uncommon story. oh, the details always differ but the same all the same. though you’re an odd one? why even stay in the first place? you had every chance to leave. didn’t you? tell me would Terresa really have missed you that much?

         how does she know all of this? she broke out into laughter.

         ???: i told you didnt i? through your eyes. every memory, every dark little secret, every feeling, ...even the very thoughts you are having now.  ...........? aw now don’t feel violated. its only 10 years, right? besides what would she say if you started getting worked up over something so....... trivial? ... and thank you it’s not often anyone speaks of my sweet breath and silk like hands, or my eyes.

         but when-?

         ???: did you not hear me on the "feel" part?... why yes i am narcissistic in my own way. but you shouldn’t use words you don’t fully understand.

         well then, who are you? she watched me for several moments clearly amused! well?

         ???: ah well it would seem you are getting used to it.... ahhhh looks like it will be harder to get my fun. my name is, celty. now then I believe than you were doing something and I want someone like you around, so let’s put you under a contract. I give you something and you do the same for me.

         Clair: and if I don’t want to have a contract?

         her laughter rang out through the abyss, myrth showing in her eyes!

         celty: i do not require permission Clair. not with the blood that flows through your veins. besides a demon who doesn’t want a contract? that my dear is its own hilarity. regardless I have already given and took the contract has long since been formed. we will discuss what that means for us in a very future date. .... well have a nice time wondering about. love you, my little false puppet.

 

 

 

 

         I jolt up and back to the world. looking around I found that despite there being no heat I was wreathed in blue flames. letting out a sigh I start trying to put them out and failed. it was surprisingly comfortable after the initial panic. I picked up the staff I had made examining it in the calm blue light. it stood up to my shoulder tapering down into a point, its top sported something like a beak and three talons aligned vertically on the opposite side of the beak. it had a strange off white with several red swirls patterned throughout some occasionally being blue.

         after a short test I found that not only were the talons were very sharp they also caught the grass I cut on fire!

upon further experimentation I found that taping things with the beak had a lesser effect! although it felt sturdy... very sturdy I didn’t want to start swinging it at things. unfortunately, I found that it did nothing to the spell I knew besides form it at the end of the staff, not sure if I’m doing something wrong but it doesn’t seem to alter it at all.

         it was then that the flames engulfing me extinguished reveling to my surprise clothes patterned in the same manner as my staff with few differences, like the end of the sleeves had deep red triangles encircling the ends. the shirt went down to just the start of my stomach, the sleeves ending at my knuckles, and a hood that seemed more for hiding my face rather than helping keep the rain off due to a latch able cloth that went from one end  and attached to the other. right now, it merely blended in almost unseen draped over the side. the pants also had the red triangles encircling the ends. it also bore a strange stretchy belt? the pants stopped neatly at my ankles going no farther towards my bare feet.

        

 all things considered; it was somewhat a surprise that nothing was there.

         with a deep breath I looked around for anything I may have missed. I found nothing in the ashes but found that the grass all around it had died and turned into a decaying grey.

         tired I went back to the river experimentally taping the water with my staff thankfully only getting a steady stream of steam as I held the top in the stream. and finding that it felt oddly draining.

          I swung it at the nearest fish and managed to hook it onto the talons and drag it out of the water. taking a few moments to sort of cook it I ate it and promptly passed back out simply exhausted with all that had happened.

         in the morning I found that while it did not spread the flames from last night, did not extinguish either. after a while I decided to ignore it. finally, I set off following the flow of the river. merely thinking on what to do slowly thinking over ideas. my march stopped when she spoke!

         celty: it may be best to take a detour there is a ... dangerous beast ahead. you might be able to beat it but not without grievous injury. oh? don’t stop on my account though. see the beast for yourself. if you agree with me then merely cut into the forest! But then again maybe it will be entertaining.

         Clair: so, you can still talk?

         celty: of course, I did give you my brand for a reason after all. now then my girl march onward!

         rolling my eyes and sighing I stepped forward.

         Clair: ok so what’s with the forest do you know?

         celty: why it’s my forest... though it looks like this due to a combination of my magic ... and that weird god who likes to paint everything blue, ... I am still trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with him. but don’t worry about the forest. you will become a resident there one day, that’s what matters.

         knowing she had no intent on telling me anything more I sigh, and she laughed. picking up the pace it did not take long for be to find the "beast". the large beast laid there snoring by the river its sleeping form easily 8' tall and over 15' long! its black fur rippled in the breeze like water. its bull like horns easily added another 3’ to its size.

         ... if celty thought that I even had a hope of winning a fight with... that then she was insane! its claws would easily rip me apart. its horns would even tear me apart! not to mention it could just step on me ... or roll over! she was clearly bat shit crazy!

         celty: aww thank you sane is really overrated. but I did mention a detour, yes? besides would you stay still while it attacked you? would you not try your flames or staff? take it from a woman with envy, there are very few beings whose hair doesn’t burn. well any way off to the forest you go my dear.

         it was silent for a very long time as we traversed the forest. to my surprise there was a lot of color throughout the flowers and some of the foliage. everything from red to yellow to almost every color really. eventually I decided to break the silence.

         Clair: celty who are you?

         celty: celty. as for what. does it really matter? I am what I am you are what you are. definitions always change and we are not even the same creature we were the day before. oooh hey take a left here, good!

         I could feel her smile at me listening to her and true fully I was a little curios as to what got her attention.

         celty: good now do you see that fruit? eat it. ... no no don’t climb the tree you have something that can pull it down don’t you?

         using the claws on my staff I gave a quick tug severing the fruit from the tree with a small burst off flames. I picked up the fruit putting out the flames still on it and the trees. looking over the green fruit.

         celty: see much easier right? now stop staring at your prey. you do know that staring makes others nervous right?

         I rolled my eyes at her making fun of me and took a deep bite out of the fruit. it was the tartest thing I had ever tasted. I found it hard to finish it and to my confusion celty kept laughing ever harder with each bite! I found out why after i started moving again.

         Celty: you ate the whole thing!... this is going to be hilarious!

         the world started to take drastic changes. the grass turned white the trees black with purple leaves! the entire sky exploded into an ever shifting green. the world began to shimmer and warm. her laughter and melodic voice seemed to shatter the world for a brief moment!

         celty: well child? run, run through the night and do everything that is. be as you are and find yourself. and do not fret I will aid you with what you cannot do on your own now run.

         I called for her several times but only ever received her laughter. I bolted through the colored world aimlessly until I collapsed into a tree. it was then that I found that my clothes and staff had not changed colors. though I changed very much! My flesh had changed tacking the coloration of ashes.

         after a while I found the strength to keep going. then the emotions came it was like my world went up and shattered and was whole all at the same time. and then I felt her, and everything became ok. the world changed once again as her laughter left it. it had been replaced with her ever-growing grin and her hands on my shoulders. I broke out into a sprint with her behind me, guiding me until we found what she was looking for.

         celty: hmm it will most certainly do. now do what feel is natural. do not worry I am here, and I will fill in any gaps of your knowledge with my own.

         I placed my hands on the skeleton of the fallen deer and blue flames began dancing over and engulfing the once living creature. the bones rattled and burned, then taking the pattern of my staff and returned themselves to where they should have been. the flames themselves took on the appearance of translucent fur. the deer stood before me stitched together by the flame.

         celty: impressive. you barely needed any help at all! so what will you name him? this being that you have created.

         I looked at him for a very long time his bones, his fur, the way the flames flared out at his joints. cautiously I ran my hand through the azure flames, and found them ..cold .ice cold.

         celty: hmmm I like it. well? call out his name he is waiting on you after all! learn well from your new companion Clair. his persona and potential are up to you. that said here is some advice, only a fool would only grow themselves. take the time to help others grow as well. well show me a fun time dear I’m counting on it!

          it was then that she went completely silent and left. I looked out to him.

         Clair: hello loredice ( lor-e-dice)  ....  let’s go

          I held out my hand and he met it. we stood there for some time as I rubbed his face . looking into the flames that occupied where his eyes should be. and then he knelt for me to get on. it was then I found that we had a similar connection as celty had with me. though I could only feel what he intended. Leaping on it took a while to get to a point to where I wasn’t leaping off due to his ice cold back! Gentilly urging him forward trying to get him to walk, he bolted full tilt loping around the trees. In a panic I latched onto loredice’s neck. It took several moments of my face being buried into his frozen fur to realize that there was no real recoil to his bounds, despite his rapid pace. I recall Teressa telling me about the horses she rode when her father took her riding. About how it was very uncomfortable until you learned how to properly ride. Oddly enough rather than feel pain or discomfort I find myself snuggling into his fur and bones, growing more and more comfy with the icy, rocking movements. I’m not sure how long I was asleep or even how long I was awake before passing out during his tireless bound. When I woke, we had stopped at the edge of the woods. Thankfully, the world returned to normal. I will never take a blue sky for granted again. looking about I found that there is a village off in the distance. In a way I found myself curios as to where I was, what I was going to do. Find terissa? How will I explain loredice? Will they even tell me where I am? Where to go?... can I lie my way out? Looking to loredice I ask him to stay here. He didn’t. he lept toward me in a galop and burst into a great conflagration. the icy inferno enveloped and swirled around me condensing into a cloak matching my clothes. I watch with rapt fascination as the bones rippled into the clothe leaving it flat as though there was no bones hidden there at all. His skull flattened and formed the grinning and prideful pin keeping it closed around my shoulders. I’m not sure how long I felt the cloak up trying to figure out were the bones went until I was interrupted by rattling bones and the cloak shaking.

         Celty: your welcome by the way. I’m glad your getting used to each other. It seems like you are learning more of this world. Tell me have you noticed yet?

Thinking about last night, what happened. How everything changed. All of the disorienting colors. Does it matter now? Everything is back to normal now. She just giggled at my thoughts.

         Celty: who says this is normal? Well its ok, keep going and stumbling about and discover much much more!

With those words echoing through my head I got closer and closer to the village. It became obvious that these people were well off as levier just by the quality of the homes, nicely built well kept land. These were apparently the wealthy educated type, or the “smarter than thou” kind. Donning my hood and clothe cover to hide my heritage I pick up my pace enter the town. Deciding to not speak about what has happened, only to ask where I was and direction to where I was going. They wouldn’t care. or at least not after they realize I’m a half. It will be best to get in and out as soon as possible. … actually, would loredice stand out that much? It’s not like I know much about magic. Only what I’ve read and what Terresa has told me. He might even be common for all I know? My cloak sorted and rattled!

Clair: sorry!

So which house should I get directions? First? Middle? last? Directions to where? Rast, I’d kill him. Should I just forget what he did and head to the tower so I can be around terrisa?

Celty: are you really ok with that, just willing to forget? Its good … but before…? I would never allow a being who attempted what that man did to live. This world is not kind or forgiving Clair. it would not begrudge you if you took your vengeance. “her voice sounded sorrowful I didn’t realize she could sound like that.” all beings feel sorrow. It will be wise to remember this.

After that silence reigned. One step at a time then. Pulling my hood down I start walking around for the place that stands out to me to knock on the door. A few houses in I found someone on their porch staring right at me. Like he wasn’t sure I was actually there. He seemed young but his graying hair said otherwise. I walked straight up to him and stood there thinking on how to ask him. He was as silent as I was with his perplexed expression. Cautious even. Slowly he put his hand behind his back. I decided to talk like one of the stupid boys from the village to help convince him that I’m lost.

Clair: I’m sorry sir, I lost.do you knows wich way rastis? How far I gots to walk. You know sir?

Silence

???:one question at a time kid. First my name is cranel what is yours.

Clair:rikanel sir.

He narrowed his eyes

Cranel: so your from the northlands?” I nodded my head” why did your parents move south?

Why the questions?

Clair: … I don’t know sir. I never thought to ask, and I wasn’t born until after they did.

Cranel: hmmm. I… see. We are in thade gamic”celty: snort cliché? Typically when you want to try to hide the fact that this is a magic community you don’t use an anagram.” Rast is 80- 90 miles north east.now I believe the better question is how did you get here? and please take your hood and mask off.

Clair: well I fell into th river sir. And its rather chilly an cloudy isnt it id rather keep it on for rainin.

Cranel:riiiiight. And the roof over your head?

Clair: … I like being coverd up. Itss ... comfy.

He crosses his armes something shiny hidden under one of his arms.

Cranel: fair enough it does seem to be rather close to raining.

He points to the sky. I look over but I’m grabbed from behind and I feel something circle around one of my wrists. I tried to swing my staff around, but a foot slammed down onto my arm, hard! It didn’t take long for both of my wrists to be snared behind my back, and my ankles done the same. Both cranel and the new comer watched as I struggled to move.

Cranel: calm down child we are not trying to hurt you.

He was calm bizarrely so.

Clair: then why did you shackle me!

Looking down at my feet I see rings of shadows binding them together.

Cranel: after I ask you a few questions, we will let you go. Do you understand? “ I nodded” good now im sorry but this will sting.” His partner places a hand on my head” what is your name? pain lances through my head! I find my self answering the questions without my own input.

Clair:clair… what the hell did you do!

Cranel: good to know your actual accent clair. Don’t sound like your from rast or any where around here though. To answer your question magic. Now how did you get here?

It all came flooding out. every moment relived the only things left out were celty and loredice. All of it relived I found myself shaking and crying on the ground as they stare on in disbelieve. The only lie that came out of my mouth was that I spent weeks struggling in the forest collapsing time and again until I arrived here. I’m not sure when my bindings vanished but they had. At some point she had taken my hood off and started running her hands through my hair.at some point I started babbling about how I was going to go back. To kill him. at some point my rage for him rekindled into something worse than what it was. I think I started shouting at some point because the neighbors, maybe even the village was gathered around. It was then her hand went over my eyes and everything became heavy and foggy. Sleep took me moments after.

         When I woke, I found myself alone in a plain comfy bed. Food on the nightstand

1