Chapter 63
449 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
You lot sure are bloodthirsty. But I shall oblige!

“That was quite entertaining.” A female voice broke into the Malfae’s cell and its blood ran cold while its mental rant came to a dead stop.

Unfortunately for the Malfae, its thoughts were not as safe as it thought. After all, the [Monster Tamer] had granted it [Projection] at Level 30. And since the moment it had received the Skill, the [Hive Monarch] had used it instinctively, unknowingly. Thus, unused to the Skill as it was, the [Survivor] had forgotten that [Projection] existed. After all, it had no cost and was activated by the act of thinking out loud.

When it had been with the green-clad woman, the monster had been actively trying to either send its thoughts to her or hide its thoughts. Hence, it had been able to hide its intentions to gamble. But now that it found itself alone, it vented; an act equivalent to mental screaming. This, of course, triggered [Projection].

However, it was just the Malfae’s luck that it was not alone when it vented. Although its cell was the last one in the corridor -and most cells before its cell were empty- the cell right next to its was not. Consequently, its Skill connected to the person in the cell next to its own and projected the [Hive Monarch]’s thoughts directly into the woman’s mind.

Due to this unforeseen happenstance, all its careful planning and gamble became void as it informed a mortal of the two Skills that it wanted to keep secret the most. However, as its breath hitched, the creature realised that this new voice was not the voice of the [Monster Tamer] and its heartbeat slowed down. ‘Who is it? Who is peaking at my thoughts? Don’t you have better things to do?’

“I am not truly peaking if you are screaming.” A bored feminine voice replied. “And no, I don’t have anything else to do.”

‘You are kind of useless then, aren’t you?’ The [Reincarnated]'s eyes twitched and it snapped. ‘And what do you mean I am screaming my thoughts at you?’

“To some, I am useless. To others, I am worth my weight in gold.” The woman’s voice was uncaring and her answer flippant. “You are using the Skill [Projection].”

‘Aish! That crazy brain-dead mortal!’ The Malfae grumbled and hurriedly hid his thoughts.

“Am I to understand that you are a monster then.”

‘Immortal. I am an Immortal.’

“Tch.” The woman chuckled. “Same thing.”

‘Worthless mortal!’ The creature snapped. Now that the [Hive Monarch] had a target to point its frustrations at, it did not hold back. ‘To call this Immortal a monster, you should all be destroyed without exception.’ Obviously, it didn't feel that strongly about the subject. Instead, it had no feelings about the matter at all. It was an Immortal after all. What did it care what mortals addressed it as? It was just using the chance to vent.

“Oh, stuff it.” The woman laughed. “Monsters don’t care if they are called monsters are immortals. They are monsters after all.”

‘Not all monsters are the same!’ The creature was incensed. Or at least it pretended to be.

“On the contrary,” The woman chuckled, “Monsters are all the same.”

‘Tch. Worthless creature. What do you know of my kind?’

“I know that Monsters care not for anyone but themselves.” The woman’s voice remained mirthful. “I also know that sapience amongst low-level monsters is beyond rare.”

‘Tch.’ The Malfae’s tone changed from that of venting to derision. ‘Is that the reason you are here? Because you know more about immortals than mortals?’

“That might actually be true.” The woman agreed with a laugh. “Monsters are much simple to understand.”

The Malfae laughed at the statement. ‘No wonder you were locked away!’

“Perhaps, it is as you say.” The sounds of movement spread out as the woman seemingly sat up. “Yet, more often than not monsters are better than men.”

The Malfae’s mind whirled and it faked a laugh. ‘The mortal that caught me tames immortals. And the mortal that I find next loves immortals. Ha! What a coincidence!’

“Indeed.” The woman’s smile could be practically heard in her voice. “What are the chances?”

‘Insignificant mortal, if you love Immortals so much, why are you not a [Monster Tamer]?’

“It was what I had wanted to be but not something that I could pursue.” The woman’s voice became indistinct as if she had lost herself in memory of a time long gone. “[Monster Tamer] was the signature Class of our enemy Kingdom’s royal family. Pursuing the same path as they would have been shameful.”

‘Banal mortals and their useless bindings.’ The [Reincarnated] grumbled but it let out a secret sigh of relief. It did not have to deal with another [Monster Tamer].

“It did not stop me from trespassing on that path though.” The mirth returned in the woman’s voice as her nostalgia was broken while its heart skipped a beat. ‘And how did you do that?’

“When I reached Tier 2, I-”

‘You evolved?!’

The woman chuckled. “My Class evolved, in a sense.”

“When I reached Tier 2, I requested for a [Monster Tamer] Skill for my Inheritance Scroll.” The woman continued. “While it did not allow me to order the Monsters like a [Monster Tamer], it did let me work with them peacefully.”

The Malfae’s scalp tingled and it lost its cool. ‘Have you used that Skill on me?!’

The woman laughed in derision at the terror in the [Hive Monarch]’s voice. “No, little monster. I have not used my Skill on you. If I had, do you think you could have been so flippant with me?”

The [Survivor]'s heart chilled at the woman’s words. She implied that the Immortal could not have been disrespectful with her, even if it had wanted to, under the effect of the Skill. ‘Don’t you dare use that Skill on me!’

“Oh? Where did your derision go?” Its neighbour mocked. “Are you afraid of this ‘worthless mortal’ now?”

The Malfae bared its fangs but there was no one to see its expression due to the wall that separated them. ‘I am warning you! I will end you if you try anything!’

“Monsters are all the same.” The woman chuckled. “But worry not oh mighty Immortal, I cannot use the Skill even if I wanted to. I am a chambermaid. My mana is bound.”

The [Reincarnated] retreated from the wall separating them until its back hit the opposite wall of its cell. ‘I will be watching you mortal. Don’t even think of trying anything!’

“Tch. So twitchy.”

The Malfae did not respond.

“But say, oh mighty Immortal.” The woman did not let the conversation die down. “Does the brain-dead mortal outside know of your Skills [Mana Manipulation] and [Sense Essence]?”

‘Yes.’

The woman’s lips twitched in derision. “Why would you lie to me? I have been nothing but pleasant to you?”

‘I am not lying.’

“Yes, you are.”

‘What’s it to you anyway?’ The Malfae finally snapped.

“You see, little monster,” The woman voice became low as if she were whispering a secret. “If other mortals knew of your Skills, they would never have sent you amongst us chambermaids.”

‘What nonsense are you spouting?’

“There is much for you to learn yet.” The woman’s soft voice echoed. “Do you know that chambermaids are made through curses? The curses that are manifested through the manipulation of our Essences.”

The Malfae’s eyes widened and its mouth fell open. ‘You can even do that?!’ The woman laughed but her voice was loud and harsh. “Of course! I am a living example of that.”

Its eyes narrowed. ‘What do you want?’

“At the moment,” the woman paused as if in thought, “nothing.”

The [Hive Monarch] scoffed. ‘As if.’

“Believe what you want to believe.” The woman replied nonchalantly.

‘You mean to tell me that you told me all that for nothing?’

“Perhaps I want a good relationship with you?”

‘Good relationship with an immortal? Did you not say that you knew monsters well?’

The woman simply laughed.

The creature scowled. ‘Conniving mortal.’

“I told you, didn’t I?” The woman asked with mirth dancing in her voice. “Monsters are better than men.”

0.0

The Malfae’s body ached. It was not the ache that was physical but one that seeped into the muscles due to lack of rest. And Malfae needed rest. Its hibernation had been broken not long after it had gone to sleep and its body barely had the time to process the fact.

Thus, its muscles ached and its movements were slow. Combined with its old age and aching joints, Malfae was uncomfortable, to say the least.

0.0

The [Hive Monarch] was once again presented before the [Monster Tamer] and her son. Unlike the last time though, the woman was seated on a chair that was less a chair and more a throne, while her son stood next to her, looking down at the Malfae standing on the footstool. The green-clad woman looked down at the creature with her eyebrows furrowed and its fingers twitched.

Two days had passed since it had last seen this woman. It had hoped that their last meeting would have been the last. Unfortunately for the creature, its hope had not manifested.

“What is your Level?”

’30.’

“How long was your lifespan?”

‘7 years.’

“Utter trash.” The woman raised her hand, perhaps to backhand the creature again, but in the end, she pulled her hand back. “How are you only at Level 30?”

‘…my heart is weak...’

“Worthless filth.” The woman’s face twisted as she grabbed the Malfae within her fists and squeezed. As a result, air rushed out of the Malfae’s lungs and it struggled to breathe. Its delicate wings cracked and its old bones groaned. Cracks resounded and agony erupted in its hands as its fingers were crushed.

The woman, meanwhile, watched it struggle to live but increased the pressure as she squeezed. She watched silently as its eyes swelled and its skin changed from blue to purple. At that moment, she breathed before releasing her hold on the Malfae and the [Hive Monarch] hit the floor unceremoniously. “I have a proposal for you, monster.”

The [Survivor] gasped and struggled to breathe as the [Monster Tamer]'s voice fell on its ears and it shivered. The woman smiled. “If within the duration of your remaining lifespan, you can manage to raise my son’s Skill to Level 10 from Level 2, I will arrange for you to evolve.” The [Reincarnated] gasped and breathed as it took in lungfuls of air. It relished the moment the air rushed back into its empty lungs and it breathed deeply. Yet, no matter what, it dared not neglect the woman’s words.

‘This lunatic mortal!’ It repressed its thoughts. After all, it did not want a repeat of the incident with the chambermaid. ‘Level up a Skill from Level 2 to Level 10 in 4 months? Is this a joke?! She just wants to kill me! Why not kill me directly then? What’s the point of dragging it out?! This brain-dead creature! I will kill her spawn one day!!’ Despite its thoughts, what it projected was completely different. ‘Th-That’s not possible!’

“Hmm?” The woman raised an eyebrow. “Should I kill you now then?”

Its mind raced but it found no way to evade its fate. It’s [Malae Shield] would do nothing against the woman or her Lion while [Venom Creation] was weak and would not have enough time to stack. A breath escaped it at that moment before its shoulder’s hunched and gaze lowered. ‘…do as you wish.’

The creature, that was a heaven obeying soul, had defined its heaven at that moment. For a weak and pathetic thing that it was, it was not the first time it had accepted its heaven. It was not the first time it had accepted its death.

This was something odd for a monster. Monsters do not define their heavens. Monsters are dominated and crushed. That is what makes them monsters. They do not accept limits. They break them. However, the monster did exactly what it was not supposed to.

Perhaps the Will that reincarnated the Malfae was onto something. After all, this soul had not meant to be born as an Immortal. Its destiny had been a mortal Vessel and a mortal life.

The woman’s eyes widened and with a single thought, she came to a decision. “[Thought Alignment].”

[Thought Alignment]
[Allows the user to alter a monster's thought process and bring it closer to the user's own.]
[Tier 1: Suppress the monster's instincts that deny the concept of civilization. Match the monster's thoughts to that of the user, regarding the user.]
[Tier 2: Match the monster's thoughts to that of the user, regarding a third party.]

Immediately, the Malfae's eyes went hazy and it fell as it lost consciousness.

“Mother,” The mortal child’s high-pitched voice queried. “I thought you were not going to use this Skill.”

“Indeed.” The woman observed the downed Malfae. “This monster is not just another monster, however. I cannot let its thought remain independent.”

“…eh?”

The woman paused and took her eyes off of the downed creature to glance at her son. “You remember how it just seemed to accept its death?”

The boy nodded.

“That is not something that a monster would ever do.” The woman turned her gaze back to the unconscious Malfae. “Monsters call themselves Immortals. They do not accept death. They never accept death.”

A tired hiss resounded at that moment and the Malfae stirred. It woke up groggy with a splitting headache. The world seemed to pound at its head and lights seemed to burn its eyes. It had barely woken up when a feminine voice resounded in its ears. “[Thought Alignment].”

“Why did you use the Skill twice?” The mortal child asked and the woman’s eyes softened.

“The first activation was for the Tier 1 effect of the Spell. While the second activation was for the Tier 2 effect, targeted at you.” The child’s eyes widened. “Will it follow my orders now?!”

The woman chuckled at the mortal child’s enthusiasm. “Of course not. If you want it to follow your orders, you have to Level up first.” She bopped the boy on the nose and the child flinched back as it scrunched his little face in disapproval.

0.0

The Malfae woke up once again with its head blasting itself from all the sides. It clutched its head and groaned. “Finally awake, are you?” A feminine and powerful voice fell on the creature’s massive ears and it flinched. The voice was majestic as if it belonged to the rulers of the entire world itself.

It raised its head and its eyes fell on a majestic woman that could be none other than the speaker of the royal voice. She was so majestic that she could be none other than a royal, if not the ruler of the world herself. She was larger than life to the creature as if she was not a mortal but something more.

“Do you believe I kept you alive just to kill you?” The woman spoke and her majesty descended upon the creature like waves that washed it away. It shivered. “Do you believe I will do something this pointless? If I desire your death, my fingers are enough to turn you to dust.”

The [Hive Monarch] trembled. It didn't know what it did to anger the ruler of the world but it wanted to assuage her anger. It wanted her to be pleased with it. It wanted to be subservient and follow her every command. It wanted to drown in her majesty and praise the woman that was the ruler of the entire world.

‘I-’ It began but was cut off by the woman. “Do you know why you were kept alive while others were killed?” The majestic woman asked. “Why you were sent to the cells instead of Sigh Raj’s stomach?”

It tried to answer but it never got a chance.

“You continue to live because you are sapient.”

‘My sapience?’

“The Skill that I gave you, [Projection], is the Skill that I want you to Level for my son.” The woman softly patted the boy sitting next to her. “The more self-aware the monster is, the faster it Levels up at lower levels.”

It stared at the mortal child with wide pupil-less eyes. The moment the Malfae’s eyes had fallen on the boy, it was as if the nothing else mattered. The boy was beautiful. He was perfection. He was the best that he could be. He was royalty. He was the future ruler of all the world. And the Malfae had to protect him.

It took the [Reincarnated] a moment to comprehend what the majestic woman had said and it frowned. Wouldn’t it be better to use her own monsters which would be at higher Levels than its own? At that moment, however, another thought popped up in its mind. ‘But if I can think of it, surely she can too.’

‘Why not use your own sapient creatures?’ It projected.

“Do you think I would have wasted my time like this if I could have?” The woman scoffed. “My monsters already possess [Projection] at quite a high level. Using them will not help him any.”

‘How can I help him advance?’

The woman’s lips twitched in a smile as the mortal child’s mouth fell open and his eyes widened. “…mother…this-”

The woman softly patted the boy’s hair to silence the boy. “Yes, you can. Though it would not be a goal easily achieved.”

‘I will do it then. Yes.’ The [Survivor] nodded its head as its eyes remained fixed on the most beautiful boy that had ever graced the mortal world.

“It will not only be my son that will benefit from this, however.” The woman said she turned her head to gaze softly at the boy. “You will be rewarded too. If you can raise his Skill to Level 10 before your lifespan runs out, I will help you evolve.”

The creature’s neck swirled as its eyes widened and mouth fell open. ‘What!?’

“No matter how powerful a monster becomes,” The woman replied with her voice filled with arrogance, “it can never comprehend the ingenuity of the Mortals. Why else do you think high Tiered monsters agree to serve us?”

0.0

“Why did you promise it to reward mother?” The mortal child asked the moment the monster was escorted out. “Hadn’t it already agreed to work for us?”

“Monsters are creatures that are inherently beyond selfish.” She patted the boy’s hair. “If I hadn’t given it a sufficient incentive, it would have realised that its thoughts were not its own.”

“But isn’t it under the effect of your Skill?” The mortal child frowned.

“Skills are simply Skills. If the creature realises it had been mentally affected, it might even develop resistance to the Skill.” The woman answered. “Remember, you can never be too careful when dealing with monsters. Monsters are monsters and they will always remain monsters.”

-X-

Within a desolate desert, inside a dilapidated shop, on a simple chair, a youth seemingly slept.

-X-

We heartily welcome the Malfae Immortal, Kade Atkinson to the fold. Their sublime grace shall be remembered.

Names, Titles and their meanings

Spoiler

#Meaning of the name, Divyaaditi Pashupati. [Monster Tamer]

Divyaaditi: Divine Infinity.

Pashupati: Lord of Beasts.

* Meaning of the name, Singh Raj: King of Lions. [Fire Maned Lion]

$ Amoor Maharaj. Meaning of the name, Amoor Janak. [Healer]

Amoor: Un-ignorant. It does not mean knowledgeable.

Janak: The origin.

Maharaj: [Literal meaning] King of Kings. Not a King. Used as a form address to show respect. Not a [Title].

[collapse]

You can read up to Chapter 72 Patreon. You can also read Merchant of Malice up to chapter 8!  A total of 19 chapters!

Do consider rating and reviewing this novel. 

My heartfelt thanks to Caterpillar ImmortalsAVRichWalrusDolph and the Malfae Immortal, Arterion and Grissly1000 for supporting the story on Patreon. Thank you all of you for supporting the novel!

13