Chapter 7: A look back on the past
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 2030, Mankind suffered a severe loss. 80-90% of people died of a mysterious disease. The government collapsed but one man rose to save mankind. This man's name was Simian Rodriguez, the head of Sierra Biotech, who built a safe environment for humans to live in, a man made biome called Genotopia. 

Year 2030, June 25th, 7:04

Sounds of alarm in a young man's apartment, the apartment is not that well managed. Water leakage from a few places, books and papers scattered on the ground, Half eaten pizza on a plate on the dinner table.The apartment itself is a bit cramped.The man wakes up sweating and breathing heavily and freaked out.
"Not again...Why do I even get these dreams. Well no use of thinking useless shit like that, I need to go to work." He got up and got ready for work.

As he got out of his room there was another young man waiting for him outside his apartment. The man was tall and slim, had blonde hair, brown eyes and was wearing a black suit over his white shirt.

The man spoke,
"Hey Ricky Good morning, you look sleep deprived as hell did you sleep well?"
"Yeah nah it's just a bad dream. Lets go to work shall we Sam?"
"Alright then, let's head off."
They both started walking towards their office. Everything has changed in this world, the buildings are all tall skyscrapers, only a few small apartments in between, vehicles can now hover and travel faster than before. Weather has drastically changed, some days it snows the other days it's scorching hot. But for both of these people the world was always like this.

They reached their office, they work at Atlas Tech, the only company which sierra biotech doesn't own. Ricky began to speak.

"So what work do we have today?"

 A higher up, Barry replied.
"Yeah you guys need to work on the prototype guns Armarex sent us." 

Sam curiously asked.
"Wait guns? We never worked on guns before and why are we even doing stuff for Armarex Firearms?"

 "Yeah we partnered with Armarex since they needed to get this stuff done soon for the border patrol, There was some problem that occurred causing their guns to stop working at the same time." Said Barry.

Ricky said.
"Alright then send the documents and blueprints to our desks."

At their desk,

Ricky: "Hey isn't it kinda weird that the border patrol needs some new guns? Like the border patrol shouldn't even have any work since there's no one outside the biome."

Sam: "Hmm, I mean they did say something happened but what exactly happened no one knows. Maybe some Nyx bots malfunctioned?" 

Ricky: "I don't think so since Nyx Security is the leading security company right now and their models are all very high tech, they can't mess up."

Sam: "Yeah you do have a point but what else could have happened."

Ricky: "Not sure but, by the way isn't it weird that we have advanced so much in bio-tech yet we can't go outside the biome cuz of some random virus outbreak?"

Sam dodged the question and asked a question instead.
"Hey you having the same dreams again?"

Ricky: "Yeah.... I don't know what these dreams mean but it feels so out of the place yet feels so familiar."

Sam: "Can you tell me what exactly happened in the dream?"

Ricky: "Well I was a kid and there were two other kids with me, I don't know who though, and we were riding our bikes to some place and we see something but I don't know what and all of a sudden three huge monsters start to chase us and then we get engulfed in darkness and we see a person with bright red eyes staring at us menacingly and that's the end... It's all over the place.. What could this mean?"

Sam: "That's a pretty bizarre dream."

Ricky: "Yeah and I keep getting this dream over and over during the past few days… When I wake up my head starts paining as if my head is getting chainsawed off."

Sam: "Hm I think you should see a therapist."

Ricky: "But why am I getting these dreams? What could it mean? Who were the other two kids? Who was that man with red eyes? It makes me so frustrated."

Sam: "Calm down Ricky, it’s just a dream, dreams don’t really make much sense so no point in trying to figure them out. For now focus on the work we have at hand."

Ricky: "Yeah you're right, I should stop freaking out."

They start working on the Armarex guns when some mysterious texts start popping up on Ricky's phone.The person’s username was Agazed.

Agazed: "Hi Ricky, been a while, you want to know what's outside the biome don't you? It may be true that you forgot about your past, but you're still curious, that consciousness, it’s in you. I know that for a fact, your dreams prove it.” 

Ricky startled by the messages stood up and started panicking, his head paining again, this time worse than before and eventually he fainted.

Ricky engulfed in bright white light, "Huh Where am I?"...."What is this place?"....."Who am I?"...."Ricky!" called out a familiar yet unknown voice. "Ricky!!! Wake up!!"...."Who are you?"...."RICKY!!!"

"Alex!", shouted Ricky when he woke up in the hospital bed, panicking and sweating as his memories were slowly getting back to him slowly.

Sam: "Ricky you're awake? And who's Alex?"

Ricky: "Oh....it's you Sam..."

Sam: "Why did you shout 'Alex' all of a sudden? Are you ok Ricky?"

Ricky: "I don't know..."

Sam: "Lay down and rest, the doctors say you're stressing too much.”

Ricky fell asleep again… Reliving a horrifying memory which was buried deep within him.

"Huh? What's happening? What's this light I'm seeing?"

Sounds of gunshots whistling through his ears and a familiar voice calling for him..

"RICKY!!! Let's go! This is our only chance!"

"Huh?...What?...Ale-"

He got cut off by the one thing he didn't want to experience ever again.

"Hello children. Shouldn't you go home now? It's too dangerous out here you know."

"No no no...This can't be happening..."

Ricky got so scared and startled he started running away as far as he could. The red eyes were piercing through his heart and the voice made everything else go silent and dark. 

"Wake up sleepyhead"

Another familiar sweet voice called out to Ricky which made him feel at peace.

"Shy-"

Again he was cut off by yet another familiar person.

"Ricky keep on pedaling! It's reaching us!!"

"Huh? Who?"

The thing which was chasing them quickly jumped and scratched on the girl's back as she screamed in pain.

"Ram-"

Again cutting off Ricky is now exhausted crouching almost in tears...

"Don't worry let us handle the rest."

"Yeah you seem to be in a bad condition Ricky."

"Guys! You're all here! Alex, Rami, Osa, Shylia! Everyone I remember now!"

Alex: "Hey uhh you might wanna check that out..."

Ricky: "What?"

There was a pile of corpses around the corner...Dead....Burnt… The corpses were of his friends..

Ricky: "What?! How?!"

Something moved from within the pile...It was Alex's corpse..

Alex: "You.... I told you we shouldn't have gone back...."

Ricky: "What? What happened? What? You were right here right now."

Ricky, scared and confused, started backing off and hit someone.

Osa: "Hey where are you going?! You did this to us!"

Slowly slowly all the corpses stood up like zombies...It was a terrifying sight.

Rami: "You were supposed to protect me! I thought I was like your own little sister!"

Shy: "We trusted you Ricky!"

"No....No no....Why?! Why must this happen?! This can't be real...Noooo!"

June 25th, 22:21

Ricky woke up in his hospital bed panting and sweating remembering everything that has happened before. He has got his memories back. 

"How long was I asleep?.... I need to contact that Agazed guy right now! Wait where's my cellphone? Dammit I can't access it through my holowrist either."

He rushed out and ran to his apartment as fast as he could. He remembered everything now. All he wanted now was to meet his old friends again. 

It's a cold chilly night, snow fallen on some corners of the streets, neon lights shining brightly and hover cars hovering over in the main sky way, a few small shops open but no customers. Ricky runs towards his home through the cold street remembering the time when he used to race with Alex in his backyard. He ran past a school which reminded him of all the precious good memories he had with his friends in the past. He was determined now that he'll meet his friends again whatever it takes.

Finally reaching his apartment he rushed to his room and switched on his computer. 

"I hope I can access the texts through here."

"Yes I can!"

The text was still there.

Agazed: "Hi Ricky, been a while, you want to know what's outside the biome don't you? It may be true that you forgot about your past, but you're still curious, that consciousness, it’s in you. I know that for a fact, your dreams prove it."

He tried replying to the message.

Ricky: "First of all, tell me who you are? How did you know about the dreams? How do you know me?"

Agazed: "I suppose your memories have returned already?"

Ricky: "Yes it has.."

Agazed: "Good."

Ricky: "Now tell me who are you?"

Agazed: "Who I am doesn't matter. What matters right now is the whereabouts of your friends."

Ricky: "Wait what?! How much do you know about me?"

Agazed: "Everything. Now then won't you like to know about your friends' whereabouts?"

 

1