Chapter 13: Preparations for the Hunt
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 2030, June 28th, 16:32, 

The local bar just outside of Steel Clutter was open for business. There weren't many customers at that time of the day.  A man dressed in all black was having a drink inside. He wore a black long coat on top and gloves on his hands. His white hair was slicked back, and there was a scar on his nose. He had shrewd eyes and a cold gaze.

A scrawny, short, bald man entered the bar looking for someone. The man was wearing a green vest with knives and pouches hanging from his belt and also had round steampunk goggles on. 

He noticed the man drinking at the counter and said, "Oh boss, there you are! We got a huge bounty on our hands."

The boss replied curiously, "A bounty? How much?"

The scrawny man said, "It's a lot boss! It's code red! For a bunch of kids!", as he showed him the posters on his APW.

The boss said while pulling up his mask to his nose,"Code red huh? Call all the Headhunters,Throat Slitter. Tell them I, Black Death, have ordered them to gather at the hideout as soon as possible."

"Got it boss!", said Throat Slitter as he left to find the other members of the headhunters.

At a stripclub in the alleyways of Steel Clutter, 

A young man entered. His build was average. He wore just a denim jacket on top and jeans. His orange middle hair was spiked backwards and the sides were black. He walked right up to the drinks counter. 

He rested his arm on the table and asked the lady bartender flirtatiously, "Hey beauty I want you. What do ya say?" while taking out loads of cash.

The bartender replied politely, "I'm sorry sir, I'm just the bartender. If you want any service pls go ahead to the private rooms."

The rough man shouted, "I asked for you! Come with me now!"

The girl replied scaredly, "I-I'm sorry sir..."

The man slammed the table and was about to grab her when she screamed for help. Two heavily built bouncers came in. They grabbed the man and slammed his head on the counter.

Everyone was startled and looked at them from afar.

One of the bouncers said, "You need to get out of here right now or we might need to take some more action."

The man laughed and said, "Heh try me bitch!". He pushed them off and got ready to fight.

He kicked one guy in the nuts and blocked the other's punch. He twisted the bouncer's arm and threw him away like he was nothing. More bouncers came in. One of them hit his head with a baton but the man was unaffected. The man turned around, grabbed his throat and threw him at the other bouncers. More bouncers came in, the floor was covered with half dead men. The man was drenched in blood when the bouncers stopped coming.

He turned back to the counter and said, "So how about now?"

But the girl had already run away. One bouncer was standing up slowly behind the counter.

The man screamed, "AH FUCK THIS!" and kicked the bouncer back, smashing the bottles which were kept on display. He walked up to him and kept smashing his head on the wall in frustration.

Just then, Throat Slitter entered the club and started to look around for the man. "Ah goddammit Sanchez! Not again...." , he said after seeing the mess that was created in the stripclub.

Throat Slitter screamed for Sanchez, "Hey Sanchez you motherfucker! Stop creating a mess everywhere you go."

Sanchez turned around, looked at Throat Slitter and said, "Huh? Mind your own business ya lil piece of shit."

Throat Slitter sighed, "Well I am. The boss called."

Sanchez replied casually, "What does he want now?"

Throat Slitter explained, "We have a bounty on our hands and this shit big…."

Sanchez said with his eyebrows raised, "I'm listening..."

Back at Bohaty, 

The anxious and nervous Ricky finally met Shylia who was in a gloomy mood. Ricky quickly noticed that she was not in the mood to talk much. He said with an embarrassed smile, "Hey Shy, been some time."

Shylia got straight to the point, "Ricky....Please tell me what's going on. I don't even know anything. I'm slowly starting to regain my memories but everything's just a mess. Chaos everywhere...Please tell me."

Ricky: "Come have a seat first, and let's introduce you to the others."

Shylia took a seat and they introduced themselves one by one. Shylia got up and asked, "Uhm can I just go to the washroom once."

Farrah said, "Sure, just go to the ground floor and take a left from the living room."

Shylia went up to the ground floor and went outside to the backyard to get some air. The backyard was huge, covered with overgrown grass hedges and withered flowers. The pool was empty and the fountain wasn't turned on. 

She was breathing heavily and leaned on one of the railings near the fountain. She thought to herself, "I am not ready for this at all. I don't want anything to do with this. I...I just want to go back.....". She then thought about Lucifer and was almost brought to tears. But she clenched her fist and kept it on the railing. She said to herself, "Calm down Shy it'll be fine. You want to know the truth, right?"

Ricky was concerned so he went upstairs to check on Shy and overheard her in the backyard. He called out for Shy, "Hey...Shy...? You good?"

Shy quickly turned around and said with a fake smile, "Y-Yeah I'm fine! I was just about to head back."

Ricky with a concerned and caring look on his face said, "Calm down it's fine I know things aren't really going well for you... and I am partly at fault for that." , He smiled warmly, "Everything's gonna be fine now, we're all back together again, aren't we? Or well maybe that's a bad thing...."

Shylia let out a sigh and smiled. She said with a genuine positive tone, "Yeah you're right. We're back together now. My memories are getting more clear now." and after a pause said, "And thanks Ricky. Let's go to the banquet now."

They were heading back towards the banquet when they met Osa who was carrying two big boxes. Osa said exhaustedly, "A-ah yes Ricky help me out with this will you?"

Ricky sighed and said, "Sure...." while picking up one of the boxes.

In the elevator, 

Ricky asked curiously, "Weren't you bringing only APWs? What are in these big boxes?"

Osa replied, "You'll see. It's something we'd need later on."

Back at the banquet, 

Alex was chatting with Farrah while playing the arcade games. Sammy was checking out Ratch's new features by himself. The elevator reached the banquet and the three stepped out with the boxes in hand. 

Farrah noticed them and welcomed them, "Oh hey guys welcome back!"

They kept the boxes on the table and started unwrapping them, starting with the smaller box which had the APWs inside. 

Osa then further instructed them on how to use them, "So these are all of the APWs, we have 6 of them. I've tinkered with these a bit so the interface might look different and it has more features now. You can use it to call the linked APWs now, you can connect to an open domain very easily and can look for heat signatures of your linked friends."

Alex said, "Ah so almost like the military ones."

Osa replied, "Kinda but with better functionality and easier to use."

Sammy picked one up and said, "Hmm these are much lighter as well."

Osa said, "Ok so now lets link the APWs together."

They wore it on their wrists and put out their hands together like a group fistbump, linking each device at once.

Ricky said, "Shouldn't we throw away our cellphone so that they can't track us?"

Farrah hesitatingly said, "B-But what about all my data, my contacts and uh stuff..."

Osa: "It's fine, don't worry the APW has already transferred all your data to it. Now you don't need your phone."

Farrah, still hesitant, took out her phone. Ricky and Sammy placed their phones on the table. Seeing them, everyone placed it and eventually Farrah too. Osa placed the phones in a box after dismantling all of them.

Ricky said, "Ok so Shy now let's get to the important part. Please get a hold of yourself, if you are getting a spiking headache don't worry it'll go away soon."

Shylia responded, "Yeah I'm ready."

Ricky told her the whole truth of the past and about the constant struggle between Bloodbornes and Sylvesters. Shy felt a very painful headache. Her memories rushed past her mind, getting clearer. The days when she used to hang out with the guys at the treehouse, the time she made flower crowns with Rami but Alex accidentally ruined it by tripping and falling on it, the silent way back home with Ricky on days when they stayed back at  school for their respective club practices, the  sleepovers at the treehouse...and the time when she was pulled away from her friends into the darkness, it all came back to her. The headache was gone but the tears kept rolling down her cheeks. 

Ricky tried to help her but Alex got to her first and patted her on the back and said, "Hey now don't cry. It's weird to see you like this, you know. You're usually the one scolding me even though I'm older and now you're crying like a little baby?", He hugged her and said softly, " Shh it's gonna be fine."

After a while, when Shy returned to her normal self,

Osa took the larger box and moved it to the center of the table and then proceeded to say, "Now let's get to the fun part." 

In it were various kinds of tools or rather weapons which Osa had made when he was bored. 

He said, "It's not really that cool but I guess we can use these in case of self defense."

Ricky exclaimed, "Woah! You made all of these yourself??"

Osa with a slight awkwardness said, "Yeah haha it's not much."

Sammy commented, "Hmm I knew you were a genius but like you are genuinely pretty talented huh. Robotics, hologram devices, hacking, you've got it all."

Osa thought in his mind, "Heh I'm a genius." 

He then said, "Anyways take whatever you want from here."

Alex took the twin thermal daggers which can heat up. 

Alex was impressed. He said, "Damn these are so light yet so deadly. These remind me of lightsabers but these are daggers."

Sammy picked up a hatchet which can also heat up when the black button on the side is pressed.

Osa said, "Try the black switch a bit lower, but be careful."

Sammy pressed it. Flames ignited out of the underside like a blowtorch. He commented, "Damn that's cool."

Farrah picked up two small staffs which were mini retractable double sided scythes, one blade on the right side  the other on the lower opposite directions. It was like scythe chakrams. 

Osa said, "Good choice Farrah, take the glove, it's magnetic and the scythe chakram will return to your hand on activation."

Farrah replied, "Damn that's cool. As expected of you Osa."

Shylia took the double batons which can be attached to make a staff. It had small spikes around the tips.

Osa said, "You know how to use a baton and staff?"

Shylia said, "Yeah I learnt a bit of martial arts before. I don't know if I still got it or not."

Osa patted her shoulder and said, "Don't worry I'm pretty sure you'll be fine."

Ricky picked up a pair of two wrist devices and asked, "What's this?"

Osa smirked and said, "Go on, try it. BUT DON'T PRESS THE RED BUTTON ON THE BACK."

Ricky said with his finger just on top of the red button, "Oops......"

Osa facepalmed and took one of the devices and put it on and pressed the button under his palm. A retractable laser hand blade ignited up.

Ricky said, "Woah it's just like Assassin's creed! Wait but what does the red button on the back do?"

Osa said, "It shoots off a very small amount of plasma at the opponent's direction which can pierce through his vitals but using it will damage the device itself. So use it only in case of emergencies."

Sammy curiously said,"Where did you even get plasma?"

Osa said, "Ah well it's illegal to make plasma at home due to safety reasons but I had a few plasma reserves for work which I actually never needed."

Osa reached into the box and said, "And finally me...Hmm I could either take the taser gloves or the spear. Yeah I think I'll take the spear, I don't wanna fight hand to hand combat."

He took out the spear which was in three pieces and combined them together to make into a single long spear using magnetic bolts. It wasn't too long, the spearhead wasn't that big either.

Sammy questioned, "Hey don't you think that spear is a bit rusty?"

 Osa said, "This spear only has one main function that is to shock opponents with high voltage to paralyze them and if I can find a larger source of electricity then it can also deal severe damage to opponents. It was the first weapon I built."

Ricky said, "Damn that's cool!"

Sammy was a bit concerned. He said, "Are you sure you wanna rely on your first weapon ever made?"

Ricky: "Don't underestimate him, Sam. He's got it!"

Osa cheered up and said, "Alright then let's get Rami back!"

At Hawk's nest, Steel clutter,

The young woman cautiously approached the dangerous looking people and asked, "Hey uh I was told that this place can find people I am looking for?"

A rough man who was smoking his blunt said, "Get lost! We are on a break right now."

The woman hesitantly said, "But Poncho sent me...."

A woman who was presumably asleep on a sofa woke up and walked straight up to the woman and asked, "Poncho? What the Fuck does that Old piece of shit want?"

She had purple-ish pink messy hair in a bob cut. Her chest was covered with bandages with a black spiked vest on top and a black choker around her neck. She wore baggy pants with a bunch of tools hanging around her waist. Her face had scars here and there and she had a lip ring and piercings on her right ear.

The young woman backed off one or two steps and said in a higher tone, "I don't have anything to do with him. I just want to find a few people! Please, I will pay a lot!" as she placed stacks of Genocents on the desk, each of around 1000-5000, 30000 approximately in total.

The punk lady's eyebrows rose, she said, "Hmm ok we'll take the job but before that, we'll need a identity proof."

The young woman showed them her Digital ID with the name Rami Dak-Ho, Age: 23, lives in Bohaty, 23rd street, 700xxx5.

The punk woman said, "Hmmm Rami huh? Alright then follow me to the office."

As they walked up to the office inside, Rami asked, "Umm.., miss? What do I call you?"

The woman replied with an annoyed tone, "Uhh..., call me Felicia."

Rami replied affirmatively, "Alright miss Felicia."

They entered the office, it was dimly lit with neon lights and the desks were mostly messy with some workers just sleeping. There was a huge hologram screen in front of the room showing the map of Genotopia as a whole. 

Rami's jaw dropped in awe.

Felicia asked, "So Rami give me the details of the people you want to find."

Rami said in a nervous voice, "Uhm their names are Ricky, Alex and Shylia."

Felicia asked,"Uhh do you have any other details? Like any pictures, any address, any Id?"

Rami sighed and said, "No. I haven't met them in 10 years."

Felicia sighed and facepalmed. She said, "This is gonna take some time." She sat on her desk and lit a cigarette and started research.

Back at Bohaty,

Sam asked, "So uhh now how do we get to Steel clutter? We have the routes but how do we go there?"

Osayed said, "Hmm good question..."

Alex said, "Me and Shy can take Lucifer's bike."

Ricky: "Our vehicle must be tagged now so we can't use it."

Farrah suggested, "Hey Osa don't you have your old bike right now? Ricky and Sam can use that."

Osa said, "Hmm I do have the bike but it's not in a good condition, I haven't used it in ages."

Ricky: "Can we at least check it?"

"I mean sure follow me.", said Osa while leading them to the garage.

The hoverbike Osayed owned was a bit old, he didn't use it much. It was in the garage for almost a year now with dust all over and scraped paint. It seemed like an Azure 93. It took a bit of time to start but it was still functional.

Sammy said, "Hmm it's not quite conventional but I guess I can improve the performance of the bike a bit."

Ricky, "That's great! Ok it's settled then we're taking this bike."

It was getting dark, the sun was setting while the neon hologram billboards were starting to shine brighter than ever, highlighting the code red criminals Ricky and Sam all over the city, with a few advertisement billboards around the markets. 

A bit earlier, at the Hawk's nest,

Felicia's eyes widened, she grew curious and asked, "Hmm why are you searching for them again?"

Rami replied casually, "They're my friends didn't I tell you? Why did you find something?"

Felicia moved out of the way for Rami to see the screen for herself. She saw Ricky and another stranger being code red criminals. She thought to herself, "Wait no this can't be...what this must be a mistake." 

Felicia got serious and her eyes got stern, "So...Miss Rami I'm sorry to say but since this is code red I cannot help you track them anymore. Hawk's Nest is now closed. Goodbye."

Rami stuttered, "B-but what about Alex? Can you at least help me find him?"

Felicia with a rougher and higher voice said, "I said we are closed dumbass. Get the fuck out of here before I slit your throat."

A scrawny, short, bald man entered the scene and said, "Hey hey now that's my job isn't it?"

Felicia rolled her eyes and sighed, "Ugh Yeah I was just about to contact the boss why did you need to come here Throat Slitter?"

Throat slitter said, "Well it's my job to inform others about our preys, is it not?"

Rami, hearing this, thought that something was wrong and slipped out of the scene as fast as she could and went inside a ramen shop.

She ordered, panting, "One Chicken Ramen bowl please. But without any onion or garlic, and yeah make it spicy. BUT NO ONION OR GARLIC."

As she sat down with her ramen bowl, she spoke her mind, "What do I do now? Godammit! the only lead I had is also gone now but even worse they're trying to kill them...What is going on Ricky? What's happening?"

A stranger who was sitting by her table overheard her and said, "Hey? Did you just talk about Ricky?"

Outside the mansion at Bohaty,

Ricky and Sammy fixed the Azure 93 to an almost working condition. 

Osa said, "Ok so everyone prepared? I've set the in-built gps to take you to steel clutter, Every gps is set to a different route except the old Azure. You gotta use Ratch for the route Ricky. Also try not to catch any attention and that goes to all of you. Everyone understood? Then let's do this."

Ricky exclaimed, "Alright let's get Rami back!".

1