Troubling Solutions
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       Enderheim found two of the Sisters, Kilshraya, and Aurara on the outer hull with the young Overlords. They were having an impromptu meeting of sorts.

       "You rang?" Enderheim stared vacuously for a moment and grinned suddenly.

       "What are you talking about?" Aurara scowled. "Nevermind. We are going to form teams and get new crystals. You will attend us to make sure all goes well."

       "Are you out of your minds?" Enderheim spat off to his left. "Firstly, you can't carry any metal in there, or it'll draw plasma lightning, or whatever it is. That pretty ring on your finger, Kilshraya, will get your arm blown off before you can take a single step. It's freezing cold, even through your shields. We need heavy clothes." he stopped and stared at them a bare second before cocking his head. "Have either of you ever been in the Crystal Universe?"

       "Of course we have," Kilshraya looked as if she were speaking to a child. "We are the Sisters of Fate. The Crystal Universe does not reject us as it does you. You will see."

       "Stand forth Enderheim," Aurara moved closer. "You will be our mount as you did at Galleyandra. We will keep you all safe."

       Realizing the futility of arguing further, he held out his arms, "Fine," he said gruffly.

       As lightly as a gazelle, Kilshraya flexed her knees and sprang upon his shoulder, her right foot rested on a scowling Enderheim's head.

       Aurara twitched forward in a blur of motion, following suit and standing on Enderheim's other shoulder.

       Enderheim turned to the young Overlords, their expressions ranging from consternation to amusement.

       "What are you snickering at?" Enderheim snarled. "It's the highest honor to carry the Sister's of Fate into battle. And that's what this is gentlemen. War with the Crystal Universe."

       "We will open the way," Kilshraya began to wave her arms in a sinuous motion. "Those of you who don't know how, observe the spell carefully. 8 of you will stay behind, but only 4 will hold the Gateway open. If one of you feels like the pressure is too great, sing out and a fresh Mage will take your place."

       "Three minutes, gentlemen," Enderheim spoke loudly, grimly. "That's about as long as we can hold it in there and have a margin of safety. If you allow the Gateway to collapse while we're in there, we are all dead. I don't think I need tell you what the other three Sisters will do if that happens, so I suggest you give it your all."

       A white mist formed in front of the group, a bluish oval about 10 feet high formed. The center began to glow with a pinkish light.
Enderrheim's shield aura formed around the trio, its color the deepest blue with tiny flecks of gold flickering. Aurara's eyes were alight with reckless fires. Kilshraya's mouth was set into a thin line of determination.

       "Go!" the two Sister's shouted, pointing into the Gateway.

 

                                                             .............................................................................

 

       Amok anxiously stared down into the blackness of the vertical shaft Nahl and the others used to try and sneak up on them from behind. One thing was sure: the verticle hadn't been here the last time Amok explored this area.

       Amok wondered for a moment. Enderheim had been the one who'd closed this place up 500 years ago. In fact, it was the last thing he'd done before leaving on his mission. Had Enderheim put this shaft here?

       Amok heard a noise and saw a hint of redness in the depths. A moment later, the head and shoulders of the Hundred appeared. It stared up at him grimly, using claws and shields to make its rapid ascent.

       The Hundred, Bok, spoke rapidly in its guttural tongue, making quick, harsh gestures at the verticle. He'd found one body; an Overlord who'd come down with Nahl and the others. The Overlord had been hit with great force, blasting through his defenses and scattering his innards all over the walls and floor. Of Nahl and the others, however, there was no sign.

       Amok instructed the Hundred to seal the shaft and trap it with their best and turned away, thinking furiously. It was just like the last time. An unseen force had struck both he and Enderheim when they'd gone exploring down there. If not for their phenomenal shields and Amok's earthquake staff, their demise might very well have been the same as the unknown Overlord Bok described.

       Amok puzzled over the fate of Nahl and the others as he made his way back to the Ziffer. They had teleported away rather than continue defending their companion. He didn't like the idea of 5 vengeance-filled Overlords running around loose.

       Heading out, Amok stared over his shoulder at the Data Repository. There were other assets in these pocket spaces. He veered off course and began heading closer to the plasma storm. He took out his telescope and scanned ahead of him. If memory served ... there! Adjusting the tiller, he eased towards a dark grey metal box hanging in space.

       It took some fancy maneuvering to get underneath the object and allow it to penetrate the shield bubble of the Ziffer. It was too cold to touch, so Amok left it sitting and reaffirmed his position with his telescope. He moved back to the aperture he and Stanton entered through two days before.

       He breathed a heavy sigh of relief that the aperture was still there. These holes only lasted a little while. The Data Repository radiations healed them over time. It was only by sheerest coincidence that Enderheim had discovered these pocket realms in the first place.

       Once again, Amok had to stand and hold on to the sail as it entered normal space. Once it settled, it was with a light heart that Amok sat down and re-established his hold on the tiller.

       Despite his mood, Amok didn't hurry. He wasn't looking forward to what Enderheim had to say about Leeki. Doubtless, he would claim that Leeki's betrayal wasn't his fault, but Enderheim had no business stealing from the Lord Councilor and allowing Leeki to make good his escape in Greadle's ship.

       Despite Enderheim's shenanigans and the Sister's constant bickering, Amok felt content for the first time in many weeks. He was tempted to turn the Ziffer towards the Edge and let the High Ones deal with Krage and the Demons. But, no, he sighed to himself, they would just hunt him down and drag him back to Kurna. He was stuck there until the Sister's of Fate decided otherwise.

       Amok dozed lightly, daydreaming of a day when he was free of the Sister's curses and their attempts to get him killed. The stars were beautiful, and he hadn't a care in the Universe. His eyes drooped, and his head fell forward.

       After an indeterminate amount of time, Amok realized he was no longer alone. Off to his left, while he'd slept, the Snath he'd released from the bubble had latched onto Amok's consciousness and followed alongside like a happy puppy following its master.

       Irritated, Amok stood up and waved his arms. "Shoo!" he shouted, pointing off to his left. "Herds are two days that way! Go away!" he waved his arms more vigorously.

       There being no air in space to carry Amok's cry, the Snath used one of its arm tips to wave back, the equivalent of a dog wagging its tail in response.

       Amok gave up in disgust and sat back at the tiller. He was too close to his destination to outrun the Snath. Perhaps Enderheim might want it. He remembered him grumbling about not having enough ships to go around.

        Easing into the Sol system, Amok slowed enough to take a close look around before continuing. Nahl and the others were out there somewhere. Amok was half expecting them to come to Earth and make trouble, but, with Enderheim and Amok's ship in the vicinity, evidently, they'd learned the lessons from before and stayed away.

       The Snath followed the Ziffer around the side of the station to the landing dock. The shield bubble parted, and they both entered. The Snath flew off to the right and landed on the hull where it lay still.

       Amok docked the Ziffer next to a human mining ship. Once he made sure the Ziffer wouldn't drift away, he inspected the mining vessel critically.

       While not exactly new or state-of-the-art, the ship was in good repair. Maintenance was paramount to survival. Asteroid miners worked in a vacuum much of the time. A loose bolt or uncinched piece of a harness could prove fatal in such hostile places.

       Amok nodded once and walked through the huge landing bay door. Inside were dozens of Dwarves, moving to and fro, each on their duty and destination.

       Delighted to find an elevator that worked in this, Amok found himself humming happily as he took the elevator to the bottom of the stack. It opened to reveal the engineering section. The propulsion cradle once again hung in its designated place and all the debris and other wreckage had been cleared away.

       Amok inspected the repairs meticulously. The damage had been perfectly repaired and then some. The new smith had used his talents to good effect and hardened the struts and girders significantly. Amok doubted the Nova cannon could so easily wreck it like the previous one.

        Taking a deep sigh of relief, Amok suddenly realized he was bone-weary. He didn't feel like talking to anyone just now. He would be better prepared after a nice hot shower and a good long sleep.

                                                             ..................................................................................

 

       Kilshraya, with a sardonic smile on her lips, viewed the expression on Enderheim's face with tremendous satisfaction. "What's the matter Enderheim?" she spoke languidly. "You have your crystals don't you?"

       "I'm not sure," Enderheim's eyes were troubled. "Sisters," he spoke haltingly. "Do you know how many of us have been lost to the Crystal Universe?"

       "A few thousand, over the eons," Kilshraya shrugged slightly. "What of it?"

       "Those deaths could have been prevented," Enderheim shook his head as if ridding himself of something, "Had you led them in, they would still be alive. Why have you kept your abilities such a secret?"

       "No, they would not," she replied cuttingly. "Those who perished, with rare exception, were Renegades, Enderheim. What do you do with an Overlord who offends after he's stirred Oooze? We offer no third chance."

       "Does Amok know?" Enderheim frowned.

       "Of course," Kilshraya smiled slyly. "Amok is the Owner of Area 0. Besides him, only Morlaine knows that our auras negate the rigors of the Crystal Universe."

       "That bastard," Enderheim scowled, his face coloring. "All this time..."

       "Amok was worried you'd give in to temptation," Kilshraya spoke in a reasonable tone, "given your obsession for crystals. He thought you might... "she bit her lip hesitating, "Say yes."

       Endertheim grunted non committedly, looking up at a noise from the hallway.

       Stanton appeared, his face flushed with emotion, "He made it!" he announced happily. "I just caught a glimpse of him entering his quarters! He looks like 5 miles of bad road, but he made it!"

       "Detronx also reported that 60 of the Renegades have turned themselves in for discipline to the High One's," Kilshraya smiled.                "Apparently, they think their chances of survival better with them than facing Amok or us."

        "Are they?" Enderheim asked dryly.

        "Amok informed us that all this," she waved her hand around idly, "Is due to Krage's schemes. Morda Kaid aided him willingly, but the rest, Rokiki and his tournament friends included were deceived. They will receive reprimands. Morda and Krage, however," her eyes turned angry, "have earned our full ire. Their essences will be scattered to every corner of the Universe."

       "Pity," Enderheim was looking down. "I was hoping to have that privilege for myself. Morda and I have unfinished business. Amok waylaid us both before our duel was finished."

       "That privilege you shall have Enderheim," Kilshraya's eyes whirled like a kaleidoscope. "You have our leave to end them the instant you see them, in any manner you see fit."

       "That's the spirit," Enderheim's smile was not pleasant.

       "There's something else," Stanton stated. "It looks ta be that the big beastie we found followed Amok home. It's out layin' on the hull like a beached whale. It's in the way and won't move."

       "What?" Enderheim was astounded. He got up so quickly that the chair went flying. "What beastie?"

       "It came a crawlin' out of that place we were in," Stanton shook his head. "It looks like a Chrismas Tree ornament you put at the top."

       "A Snath?" Enderheim's eyes were shiny. "Here? Show me." he moved with quick jerky movements around the table in his haste.

       "What about these crystals?" Kilshraya was staring up in complete surprise.

       "To heck with the crystals," Enderheim called over his shoulder as he followed Stanton out. "The Snath might be sick or hurt. It needs my help. You do it."

       Kilshraya sat stunned for a moment and slammed her fist on the table, scattering crystals. "One day, Enderheim," she whispered to herself with clenched teeth.

       Suddenly, all her anger was spent, leaving a feeling of profound emptiness. She sighed heavily as she stood slowly. She'd hoped to help Enderheim cut and polish these crystals. Some alone time and a charm or two and Enderheim might have... but no. The Only thing Endereheim loved more than crystals was Snath.

       "Oh well," she said to no one as she started gathering crystals. "Better luck next time."

                                                                               ..................................................

1