Kel-Orso
39 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

       The dark grey stone statue moved, to regard Nahl and his two companions with suddenly intelligent eyes. It shrugged slightly once, a grinding sound of sandpaper rubbing together.

       "The blissful release of Death has served to stir me from my respite." its whisper reverberated through the skulls of Nahl and the remaining two members of his team; Bruks and Wentin.

       "I awoke to find this creature trying to remove the ring from my hand. I thought it one of the Raksharshee, or the other above." its arm moved in a slow, languid gesture. "I lashed out blindly, and its body failed."

       "That's... that's okay," Nahl used both hands in a calming gesture. feeling sweat spring forth on his forehead. "He had no right to steal from you. Who are you?" he licked dry lips.

       "I am the creator of this realm," the statue sounded like two stones grinding together. "The Universe was dying. I made this place to survive the great cataclysm."

       "I see," Nahl said mildly, feeling the hair stand up on the back of his neck. He gestured towards Kently's shattered remains. "Our companion acted out of ignorance. We have no desire for further conflict."

       "Then I suggest you move away from here quickly," the statue waved upwards. "The Raksharshee move closer. I sense purpose within. They hunt you, do they not?"

       "They do," Nahl said grimly. "We were the hunters. Now, it seems we are the hunted."

       "Small wonder," the statue's low chuckle reverberated throughout. "The Raksharshee are formidable warriors, but their companion wields powers of both Creation and Death. You could not possibly survive."

       "You refer to Amok," Nahl's eyes narrowed of their own volition.

       "Is that what it calls itself," the dark statue mused. "And another. One whose powers are veiled in mystery still; even to us. I struck out at them, but they took no hurt. And yet they fled, sealing this realm behind them until now."

  
       "What will you do if they find you?" Nahl glanced uneasily at the ceiling.

       "They will not find me," the dark statue replied. "This body is but a construct I can vacate at any time. Without my essence to animate it, there is nothing to find."

       The simulacrum eyed Nahl and his silent companions for a moment. "I may not leave this place," it said. "The Universe outside the realm I created is harmful to my kind; of which only a handful remain. I wait for the Universe to turn and one day return to the place of my birth. I have no desire to involve myself in the affairs of non-entities such as yourselves while awaiting that time."

       "If that's the case," Nahl rubbed his jaw, thinking furiously. "Perhaps you could tell us a way out before the others find us. If you can't, there will be a terrific fight. This waiting place could be damaged; even destroyed."

       "T'would be of little consequence," the statue replied. It raised its arm and swept it across the room. "There are thousands of these installations scattered all through this Universe. They could never find them all. The Raksharshee are easily dealt with, but I would rather not reveal myself to the Amok until my powers are fully awakened."

       The statue pointed its hand at a sigil on the wall to its right. The sigil began to glow with a reddish, yellow light. The wall vanished, revealing another room.

       "Through there you will find the means to escape," the statue said. "The doorway will teleport you far from here, beyond the senses of the Raksharshee and the Amok."

 
       "Thank you for saving our lives," Nahl inclined his head slightly in deference. "If there's a way we can return the favor, you need only ask."

       "Alas," the statue replied, "creatures such as yourselves lack the power to open the gateways to my realm. This Universe," it moved its hand slightly in a dismissive gesture, "is poorer than most. And yet, its definitions are clear; the barriers between reinforced by a power I've never seen before."

       "We seek a realm of immense Power as well," Nahl frowned. "Could our goals be the same?"

       "You seek Kel-Orsho," the statue nodded slightly. "I have been there. I know you are right to seek it. My universe lies just beyond, through the final gateway. Was I able to draw Power from Kel-Orsho, I could open the way. But there is no way there from here. I must wait for the Universe to turn."

       "On our homeworld is a creature of immense power. It is said it has the powers of creation. It has described such a place as you speak." Nahl's eyes narrowed. "Do you know of it? We call it the Guardian."

       "There was a time when the first Universe; that what you call the Crystal Universe, was much like this one," the statue nodded again. "Through a series of impossibilities did the first Universe become aware of itself. It created the race of creatures you call the Guardian. It was those entities of unimaginable Power that solidified and created the form of the Crystal Universe as you know it now. They were fragmented and scattered throughout the realms in the great cataclysm their efforts caused."

       "It has conveyed to us that it too seeks its homeland," Nahl eyes narrowed, "if we can reunite it with its mate, it can open the way to a new Universe where we can all transcend into another reality."

       The simulacrum closed its grey eyes and lifted its head as if listening to something distant. "The creature you call the Guardian is very weak," it said vacantly. "It's mate," he hesitated a moment. "Is far from here. This Universe will have wound down and renewed itself before you could reach it."

  
       "I knew it, Nahl whispered to himself. "This has been one long lie the whole time. The Sisters and the High Ones are leading us down a blind trail."

       "If the two entities could open a stable gate to their realm, I could find my own through theirs," the statue continued almost thoughtfully. "You may not be able to reach it physically, but, if you could contact it, and let it know that its mate is here, it might be able to make its way to you instead."

       "How could we do that?" Nahl shook his head. "From what I understand, we have no way to communicate with such a creature. We have no frame of reference to speak. We would be spouting gibberish."

       "Perhaps so," the construct replied, "But all you need to is implant the thought that its mate is here. I can do that. The entity will come."

       "Can you?" Nahl started to ask and stopped to rephrase his question. "Will you help us?"

       "It will be ages before the Universes turn to allow me to sneak through the barriers. If the entities were to make a Gateway, I could be amongst my kind in no time." it looked up again into nothing. "I can sense it, but it will be some time before my powers are strong enough to make contact."

       "We are hunted," Nahl frowned, "If we're caught, your efforts would be for nothing."

       "If that's the case," the statue rose from its throne and stood above them looking down. "Then I must aid you. There are places that not even the Raksharsheee and the Amok are aware of. I will take you there." it rose from the throne. "Come, they are almost here."

       Nahl and his two companions stared at each other for a moment and then collectively shrugged. They had no choice. It was either follow the creature into the unknown or be slaughtered by Amok and the Hundred when they got there.

       When Amok and the Hundred arrived, all they found was an empty room, but Amok detected the residue of energies he hadn't felt since his time in the Djinn Realm.

       Amok stood brooding darkly for long minutes after the Hundred teleported away. The stakes for this game had just risen sharply. If he was right, not just their race was in mortal peril now, but all Life in this Universe.

                                                                                  ..................................................................

2