{Year 1} Chapter 4: The First Potion Class
733 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Year 1} Chapter 4: The First Potion Class

 

"Dray!  Are you ready?  Let's go!" Pansy bursted into Draco's dormitory first thing in the morning—and she didn't even change out of her pajamas yet.

"Calm down Pansy." Draco yawned, he had already woke up earlier and changed into his robes.  There's only he and Blaise in his dormitory as his parents specially requested.  But then, with Pansy being so loud, the people from nearby dorms probably got woken up by her.

Blaise groaned from his bed. "What's wrong with you?  It's only six o'clock..."

"It's our first day!  Aren't you excited?"

"Pansy." Draco said exasperatedly, "It is indeed the first day, but no one would normally get up this early..."

"What about you then?  You got up even earlier than me!" Pansy shot back.

"I do get up quite early, but that's part of my usual schedule.  Now, you should go get ready, would you want people to see you like that?"

"Your usual schedule?  What?  Anyways, I'll be back!" Pansy ran out the door.

"Merlin.  That girl." Blaise groaned again. "I guess I'll have to get up now, there's no way for me to sleep peacefully once she's up."

* * *

At breakfast, the students got their schedules.

"Do we have the same class?  Do we?"

"I have Transfiguration." said Blaise.

"Aww...I have Charms!"

Draco looked at his timetable, "I have Charms as well."

"Brilliant!  Let's go together now!  Bye Blaise, have fun finding class on your own!"

"Ah...why can't I be in the same class as you Draco..."

"It's just the way it is Blaise.  Now you should go, or you'll probably be late." Draco walked toward a staircase with Pansy following right behind him.

"I wish I have photographic memories as well...it would had been so convenient!" said Pansy enviously as Draco found the Charms class after only about five minutes of wandering around.  The pair entered the classroom.

* * *

Pansy complain about the rising stack of assignments they had to do.

"And it's not just the homework!  I really expected more from the Dark Arts class!"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts, not Dark Arts.  You'll make people think we're Death Eater wannabes or something." Blaise rolled his eyes.

"We have Double Potions with the Gryffindor today." Draco said as he used his fork to poke at his bacons.

"So we'll finally have a class with the legendary Harry Potter?" Blaise exclaimed with false admiration.

"What?  Are you one of his fan or something?" Pansy mocked playfully.

Draco looked at them, "Eat your breakfast now.  You can gossip after you eat your fill."

"Okay Mother."

"Shut it."

The mail then arrived, an eagle owl with fierce orange-red eyes landed in front of Draco.  The owl dropped the packages it was carrying on to his lap.  Draco took a piece of bacon and passed it to the owl, the owl caught it in it's beak and shortly after, flew away.

"What did your parents send you this time?" Pansy asked curiously, others at the Slytherin table turned to him as well.

Draco opened the package.  This time, Narcissa sent a package of  Tanghulu, much to his surprise.  He had mentioned the sweet to her once before, but he didn't expect that she would remember and actually sent him some.  Lucius on the other hand, sent a box of ink, quills, and a notebook that can be enlarge and shrunken by saying certain words.

Tanghulu Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanghulu

"What is that?  Is it edible?" Pansy asked.

"It's called Tanghulu, it's a popular Chinese treat."

"Ooh...can I have one?  Please?"

Draco handed her and Blaise each a stick.  Pansy shoved the sugary treat into her mouth.

"Mmm!  It's delicious!"

"This is better than I thought it would be." Blaise admitted.

The other Slytherins look on curiously at them as they finished the treats.  The three Slytherins soon left the Great Hall after some small chats.

"We all have Double Potions together, so you can follow Draco now Blasie!" teased Pansy.

Blaise huffed, "Yeah, I'll do that."

Draco chuckled.  "Let's go now, Professor Snape is a strict one, you don't want to be late and leave a bad first impression.

"It sounded like you know him."

"Let's just say he's a friend of my parents."

Severus Snape was a man worth admiring.  He had committed himself to avenge his crush back at school—even though she didn't love him romantically back and was already married before she was murdered. 

Snape was also a quite considering godfather.  He had spared Draco from the guilt of direct murder by doing the deed of ending Dumbledore for Draco.  Although there are some doubts about whether he might have only done it due to the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy.

The trio headed to the Potion classroom in the dungeon.

Potion class was fairly smooth enough for the Slytherins, but it was definitely terrible for the Gryffindors.

During roll call, Professor Snape had paused at Harry Potter's name, raised his eyebrows, and started making potion class hell for the Gryffindor.

"Ah, Yes," he said softly, "Harry Potter. Our new—celebrity."

Some Slytherins started snickering.

"As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." Snape said after the roll call.

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry glanced toward Ron, but it looks like Ron is also clueless about the question.  The girl with bushy brown-hair, Hermione Granger, on the other hand, raised her hand up high.

Helpless, Harry can only answer: "I don't know, sir."

Professor Snape continued to target him and ignored Hermione's hand.  He sneered, "Tut, tut—fame clearly isn't everything."

"Let's try again.  Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

"I don't know, sir."

"Ever thought about opening the book before coming, Potter?"

Harry can see that some of the Slytherins had started to shake uncontrollably with laughter.  Even the dark-haired girl with Malfoy—who he considers decent even though he's a Slytherin—was holding her stomach tightly.  Parkinson quickly stopped laughing as her blonde companion glared at her though.

"Shush, it's not like you can do better.  You need to improve your own level and prove yourself before you can laugh at someone like that." Harry heard Malfoy mutter to Parkinson.

Parkinson's face became solemn. "Yes your highness, I will do my absolute best to stay on track and not fail!" She then snickered as the blonde gave showed an annoyed frown.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know." Harry secretly gritted his teeth.  Why does Professor Snape only target him and not any other students?  Harry is pretty sure that he hasn't done anything to him at all.  He didn't even know him until Hagrid told him about the teachers.

"I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

A few people laughed, Harry saw Seamus wink at him.

"Sit down."  Professor Snape snapped at Hermione, he then gave an explanation with a scowl on his face.  "For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death.  A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons.  As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite.  Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?  And a point would be taken away from the Gryffindor house for your cheekiness, Potter."

The classroom began to be filled with the sound of quills and parchment.

Professor Snape then split the students into pairs for potion making.  The students are to make a simple potion used for curing boils.

Sweeping around in his long black cloak, he watch them weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, criticizing almost everyone except Draco, whom he seemed to like.

He was just telling everyone to look at the perfect way the blonde Slytherin had stewed his horned slugs—Harry had to admit that he did do it brilliantly—when clouds of acid green smoke and a loud hissing filled the dungeon. Neville had somehow managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes.

Within seconds, the whole class was standing on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry red boils sprang up all over his arms and legs.

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his wand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him up to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he rounded on Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.

"You—Potter—why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

This was so unfair that Harry opened his mouth to argue, but Ron kicked the him behind their cauldron.

"Don’t push it," he muttered, "I've heard Snape can turn very nasty."

As they climbed the steps out of the dungeon an hour later, Harry's mind was racing and his spirits were low. He'd lost two points for Gryffindor in his very first week—why did Snape hate him so much?

"Cheer up," said Ron, "Snape's always taking points off Fred and George. Can I come and meet Hagrid with you?"

At five to three they left the castle and made their way across the grounds to Hagrid’s wooden house.

* * * 

“Hey, have you guys seen the news?”

Draco looked up from his Potion books. After that incident of Neville Longbottom, he was more determined to make sure he’ll never ever commit the mistake of making a potion wrong.

He. Will. Not. Allow. It.

”Blimey, you can stop for today now Draco. Although it’s nice that you like to study—studying to much isn’t going to be good for you.”

Pansy grabbed his book and threw it onto his bed.

Classes had ended for the day, the trio are currently hanging out in Draco and Blaise’s dormitory. Snape had allowed Pansy in their dorm despite her being a girl, because of their parents and them being childhood friends. Pansy might even move into their room soon if this continues—

“What’s on the news, Blaise?” Draco yawned, using magic to put the book away.

”Check this out—“ Blaise took out a piece of paper from who knows where.

Daily Prophet: 

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.

Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

“Hmm...”

“Wait, weren’t you at Diagon Alley on July 31?” Pansy asked.  She usually isn’t very observant and is more into straightforward things, but when it comes to her friends—especially her two best friends, almost nothing can escape her notice. She has high EQ.

“Ha...yes...”

“And if I remembered right, you met that Chosen One too that day right? Does he has anything to do with this?”

“...Probably.”

“From how you had hesitated, I am convince that Potter has something to do with this.”

Shoot.

They know him too well...they’re also pretty smart themselves, so it isn’t really a surprise that they can deduct that from just the paper, his and Potter’s presence at DIagon Alley that day, and his answer...

There are definitely benefits and drawbacks to having intelligent friends.

__________________________________________________

Here’s some Hogwarts information.  Not entirely sure if the information is accurate, but I decided to go with it.

DISCLAIMER!  I got this from another website, here’s the link:  https://www.hp-lexicon.org/thing/school-schedules/

__________________________________________________

The School Year at Hogwarts

  • The year begins on September 1
  • Hogwarts Express leaves King’s Cross Station at 11 a.m., bringing students to Hogsmeade Station where the 2nd through 7th years ride horseless carriages up to the castle and 1st years cross the lake in boats with Hagrid
  • the start-of-year feast
    • the Sorting
    • a few words from Dumbledore
    • vast quantities of food and drink
    • a few more words from Dumbledore, including the “start-of-term notices”
  • classes begin on September 2 – schedules handed out at breakfast
  • Quidditch trials during the second week (PS7), also flying lessons for first years
  • Halloween Feast on the evening of October 31
    • hundreds of live bats flying around
    • delicious pumpkin treats
  • first Quidditch match in the beginning of November
  • second week of December McGonagall takes names of those who are staying over the Christmas holidays
  • end of first term is usually about a week before Christmas and most of the students and some of the teachers go home
  • December 25: Christmas Feast
  • shortly after January 1: Hogwarts Express returns and start of second term
  • Easter holidays – two-week break, students go home, exact dates vary every year
  • exams are held the first week of June
  • results come out the second week of June
  • Leaving Feast, sometimes called the end-of-term feast, the evening before the Hogwarts Express goes back to London
  • the Hogwarts Express returns to London during the third week of June
  • all staff and students leave Hogwarts during the summer except for Filch (SN) and possibly McGonagall (Pm)

Daily Routines at Hogwarts

  • The day begins with breakfast in the Great Hall. During breakfast, the morning mail arrives in a flurry of hundreds of owls. A bell signals the start of the first class at 9 am.
  • There are two morning classes with a break between (signaled by a bell), followed by lunch and a break.
  • After lunch, classes resume at 1 pm. It is not clear if there are one or two classes in the afternoon.
  • Supper is served in the Great Hall toward evening, after which the students are expected to be in their House common rooms for studying and socializing. Curfew for older students is 9 pm (OP).
  • There is no set bedtime after supper.

__________________________________________________

Summing the above information up:

—the start-of-year feast

*the Sorting

*a few words from Dumbledore

*vast quantities of food and drink

*a few more words from Dumbledore, including the "start-of-term notices"

—classes begin on September 2, schedules handed out at breakfast

—Quidditch trials during the second week (PS7), also flying lessons for first years

—Halloween Feast on the evening of October 31

*hundreds of live bats flying around

*delicious pumpkin treats

—first Quidditch match in the beginning of November

—second week of December McGonagall takes names of those who are staying over the Christmas holidays

—end of first term is usually about a week before Christmas and most of the students and some of the teachers go home

—December 25: Christmas Feast

—shortly after January 1: Hogwarts Express returns and start of second term

—Easter holidays, two-week break, students go home, exact dates vary every year

—exams are held the first week of June

—results come out the second week of June

—Leaving Feast, sometimes called the end-of-term feast, the evening before the Hogwarts Express goes back to London

—the Hogwarts Express returns to London during the third week of June

—all staff and students leave Hogwarts during the summer except for Filch (SN) and possibly McGonagall (Pm)

[Daily Routines at Hogwarts]

-The day begins with breakfast in the Great Hall. During breakfast, the morning mail arrives in a flurry of hundreds of owls. A bell signals the start of the first class at 9 am.

-There are two morning classes with a break between (signaled by a bell), followed by lunch and a break.

-After lunch, classes resume at 1 pm. It is not clear if there are one or two classes in the afternoon.

-Supper is served in the Great Hall toward evening, after which the students are expected to be in their House common rooms for studying and socializing. Curfew for older students is 9 pm (OP).

-There is no set bedtime after supper.

__________________________________________________

Sorry about updating slow...I’m getting more and more busy lately.

[P.S. I gave up on sorting the quotation marks—it just doesn't want to cooperate with me... (;-;)]

10