Chapter 11: No sense of Occasion
1.4k 3 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A torrent of lightning crackles through the sky along with an ear splitting roar of thunder. I am 100% certain that this isn’t just my newfound spirit senses this time, as I feel the sheer force rocking my body. And just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone, leaving a glowing, happy Lyn where the center of the vortex was. Literally glowing I mean. Unlike the subtle brown sparkles given off by Sif, Lyn is emitting a bright purple light.

“So Sif, since I still can’t distinguish between spirit vision stuff, is Lyn actually glowing? I might as well ask even though I know the answer, but that lightning blast was real right?”

Before Sif can respond, Lyn throws her head back in a fit of laughter, causing Sif to smile wryly. Sif replies, “Yes, to both. Each spirit will give off some phenomena related to their element when they are named, with the more powerful spirit giving off a more noticeable phenomena. For me it was quiet because the forest earth around us was enriched with my mana, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are now deposits of precious gems and minerals now laced throughout that mountain.” 

Lyn, who was now doubled over, straightens herself out and manages to speak, “You haven’t changed a bit Master! Not a single care for the serious scene that took place with a Spirit King willingly contracting to you! Instead you’re just like before, and more curious about if I’m glowing or you’re dumb.” She breaks into a playful grin, “The answer being both of course.”

I open my mouth to argue but am forcefully stopped when Lyn rushes and puts her hands over my mouth, continuing, “It’s not bad! The others constantly tell me I am dumb and have no sense of occasion. They can’t do anything when I say I get it from you though!”

No sense of occasion? Backing up to free myself I defend myself, “I think I have always behaved well enough. No one ever told me I lacked manners.”

Sif and Lyn share a glance, with Lyn breaking into laughter again. She manages to spit out, “Ya, manners you have, but after hearing those nobles leave your workshop I always heard them complain: ‘I was just handed the divine sword like a butler would hand me my coat.’ or ‘I drew the sword and struck a few elegant blows, yet Robin doesn’t even compliment how well the blade fits me.’ and sometimes even ‘Even when destroying the test dummy with perfect control over the divine spear she didn’t say anything, she didn’t even clap.’”

Well ya, why would I say any of that stuff. I rebuttal, “ I gave the nobles their artifacts just the way I saw my dad give his crafts. I bet at least a quarter of the nobles that I gave my arms and armor to never even stepped onto the battlefield, so why would I give a compliment if I don’t mean it? And for that last point, of course only the test dummy was destroyed, I had fortified that entire room and powered its defenses with the crystal heart of my workshop, so even if an idiot blasts magic around it wouldn’t be enough to damage the room. And besides, I pride myself on the fact that my crafts are easy to use and handle.”

While Lyn smiles with a look that screams ‘Master supports me!” Sif sighs, “Maybe it would be good for both of you to learn a bit how common folk treat nobles. Since they won’t be trying to stay in our good graces due to the reputation of the Divine Crafter, they will be much more likely to respond with aggression.” 

Hmm, I don’t see how my attitude could upset nobles that much. Guess I will have to ask Claire later. Speaking of which, “How are we going to explain Lyn to Claire and family?” 

Sif looks troubled, but Lyn smiles proudly and declares, “I’ll just use the same excuse Sif did! She’s been planning on pretending to be one of those caretakers of the forest when she needs to leave the forest, so I will too! I just need to say we were friends and we promised to leave together!.”

Sif, unconvinced, replies, “But all the caretakers are human since this mountain has never had any other race come live here. Most of them are either discomforted because of the number of spirits here or are chased away because they plan on taking advantage of the lesser spirits. Only humans with their inferior sixth sense can live nearby without any problems.”

“I’ll just say I was abandoned here and a former caretaker took care of me, similar to your story for you magically getting pregnant. If they can believe your bullshit then mine will pass no problem!” Lyn confidently asserts.

Before Sif can continue their debate, I intervene, “Let's talk while walking at least. I really don’t want to have to explain things to people who come investigating that giant lightning burst. Lyn, we were heading over to see the sights of the valley with Claire, the woman who revived me.” 

After walking for a bit, we see a combat ready pair in the distance. Jacob is leading, sword drawn, with Claire following close behind, staff ready and charged with mana. Upon seeing us, they only relax slightly, both of them staring warily at Lyn. Jacob breaks the silence, “Who is that cat-kin, I can feel the mana coming off her. Was she the one tried by the spirits a moment ago?”

Smirking, Lyn strikes an arrogant pose, declaring, “Hello couple who saved my master! I am Lyn, the Spirit King of Lightning, and the most powerful and awesome spirit of the Divine Crafter!”  cueing purple lightning to dart menacingly around her.

Jacob eyes are as wide as saucers as he incoherently mumbles, “So that's how… of course… she was real? She is alive? But how…spirit king?” 

Claire meanwhile replies in frustration, “We went through all that trouble and now you tell this idiot? What happened to keeping a low profile!”

With a smug smile, Lyn explains, “See Master? This is the sort of reaction people expect when something amazing happens.” Turning to Claire, she continues with a look of ‘you’re welcome’ clear in her eyes. “It’s fine isn’t it, he is your man after all, so wouldn’t it be better if he knew how you helped us? I just made it easier for him to accept.”

“My man?! Like I would ever get together with this idiot. We were just going together to investigate since it would be safer!”

For the first time I see Lyn lose her carefree confidence and blush in embarrassment, “Oops”

 

To clarify a bit on spirits for those who are curious, there at 5 types of spirits: Fire, Earth, Water, Wind, and Lightning.

In addition, the ranks of spirit from strongest to weakest are:

  1. Spirit King - The most powerful of spirits whose existence is strong enough to maintain a physical body. There were currently none recorded until Robin's familiars, and their existence is a myth to most people. They have the full cognitive abilities of an adult.
  2. Spirit Prince - The widely accepted strongest spirit you can contract. They have the full cognitive abilities of an adult and negotiations with them are hard.
  3. Greater Spirit - Has significantly stronger magic than a common spirit. They have the mindset of a high schooler, and the arrogance that comes with their power. 
  4. Common Spirit - The most common type of spirit, as all lesser spirits will eventually mature into this stage but not all in this stage can evolve. They have the intelligence of a child just before the preteen years. 
  5. Lesser Spirit - The point of which all spirits start out as. They have the intelligence of an older toddler and mostly survive off instinct. They are not powerful but are gullible and easy to force into unfair contracts. 

Robin is a spiritual lifeform but the first of her kind, so she is unclassified.

52