Chapter 8: Those Things
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 woke up to my alarm clock ringing at 8:30 in the morning, and I slumped to my feet as I went over to the other side of my room to turn it off. I quickly looked at the calendar that read November 30th.

I got dressed and grabbed my bag for class, today I had Latin and Chemistry.

The end of the semester was coming up quick, and the surprising part was the fact that Greg hadn't said a word since the incident three weeks ago. I would have at least expected him to try and do something, but it went to complete radio silence.

The thing that really stressed me out was the fact that tonight was a full moon. Nothing had seemed off so far, and that was good, but I was scared about tonight. I didn't want to shift again, the pain was bad enough, but I don't want to go back to the pack. They would treat me as an outsider anyway.

I ran out of my dorm and towards the elevator. I was just anxious, my body felt full of electricity, and I wanted to get my classes over with so I could see my brother sooner and send him off on his merry way.

Ding!

The elevator stopped at the third floor of the dormitory building and the doors slid open to revealed a familiar pair of blue eyes.

" Logan." I laugh," Long time no see."

"In about a month or so my smell will diminish."

I remember Greg saying that before he left. What if Logan smells that I shifted . . . I just hope I'm being overly cautious.

" That smell . . . " Logan mumbles.

Shit.

" That fucking pure blood, when did he come here? He didn't hurt you, did he he ?"

I shake my head," No, it's okay."

Thank god.

" Now, I have to get to classes." I try to push back past Logan.

" Lucy," he sighs," You know that isn't the only thing I can smell, right ?"

" Oh, are my neighbors having intercourse again, I'm truly sorry." I try to get on the elevator, but he grabs my arm.

" You know, someone called dad and said something really weird. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you ?" He asks.

" Oh, is he getting prank calls again ?"

" You know that isn't it." He growls.

" Look, he was lying to get your trust, whatever he showed you is fake. I didn't -"

" What are you talking about ? We heard you had a boyfriend, and dad was furious, who did you think called us ?"

I am dating someone, a guy named Nathan, a nice human kid who has biology with me. He asked me out two days ago, so I guess news travels quickly.

" Oh." I say," Well, am I not allowed to date anyone now ?"

" Not anyone like him." Logan whispers harshly.

" Like him ?" I ask.

" Well, we heard he was human."

I scoff," Oh my god, what is so wrong with that ? I don't know if you've forgotten, but we're human too."

Logan suddenly grabs my arms," We're better than those things, stop -"

" Woah woah, wait a second." I shake him off and glare at him," Those things ?" I scoff," Are you kidding me right now, don't tell me you just called humans things." I hiss.

" Lucy, I didn't mean it -"

" Logan, we aren't better than those things, especially with that attitude you have. What the hell is so wrong with them."

" They're violent and impulsive. Not to mention they hunt people like us who are different and kill us, even the women and children." He seethes.

That's coming from the actual animal.

" Logan, leave, you're really worked up right now and you're really beginning to get me worked up too." I rub my temples.

" Lucy, if you keep hanging out with these humans, they'll end up hurting you. I don't want to see that happen. Just break up with him and everything will be fine, it's not like you actually love him."

" Logan you're half human, just like the rest of your kind. I will not break up with him, not now at least, because I actually take the feelings of others into account. He's a nice person, and he doesn't deserve to be treated as any less. And he doesn't deserve to be discriminated against for something he can't control, either." I say.

" ' Your kind' and 'like you', you're making it sound like we aren't the same as you." He says.

" Yeah, because I'm not the same as you! Mom and dad made that clear when I overheard how much they want me to shift so I can be with them! You don't understand how it feels to have your parents both pity you and think of you as a nuisance because of something you can't control!" I yell.

That isn't exactly what I wanted to say, I knew they loved me and I didn't mean for it to sound so harsh.

" Just come back and live near the pack house, if you miss them that much, Lucy." He says.

" Who would want to go to a place where they'd be treated like an enemy because they don't turn into a monster every full moon!"

Logan pressed his lips together in a thin line and stared at the ground.

" Look, I just find it hard to believe you all understand how I actually feel about all of this. I've been adapting to this life here, and I really love what I'm studying, so I'm just reluctant to give this up." I whisper.

Logan looks at me sadly," Yeah, I may not understand what you're feeling, Lucy. I guess we are just monsters to you, if that's what you really think, then -"

" No, Logan I didn't mean it like that."

" Yeah, I'm sure." He turns back towards the elevator," I'll see you next month." He grabs something from his pocket," And here's the new good luck charm." He says as he shoves in in my hands," Goodbye."

" Logan . . . " the elevator closes and I drop down to my knees, I feel my chest rising heavily as I take fast breaths," Crap!" I look at the greenish bag of herbs and shove them into my backpack.

I look over at the fire exit, and I run to the door and sprint down the stairs and to the front of the building in an attempt to catch Logan before he left.

I run to the front desk," Did a sulking blonde guy just run past here."

The person nods, and points to the exit," You just missed him."

" Damn." I hiss," Fuck!"

" Lucy ?"

I look quickly behind me hoping deep down that it was Logan, smiling and saying," I got you good." But when I turned around I only saw the red hair of the guy I just started dating.

" Nathan." I smile," How are you ?"

" I'm sneeze okay." He smiles.

That was a lie.

" You obviously caught a cold." I say," I told you to take better care of yourself."

" I tried, I guess I have a weak immune system. But what about you, how are you feeling ?" He grins, showing off his dimples.

" Just perfect." I say quietly.

I'll have to talk to Logan later, I can't let werewolves take over my life. I quickly make a mental note to call him tomorrow morning after he turns back before smiling at Nathan.

" Shall I walk you sneeze to your classes then, my lady." He holds out an arm.

" That would be perfect, my lord Nathan Gurranhart." I bow dramatically as I take his hand.

He sneezes again.

I glance up at him periodically with worry written on my expression, hoping he'll see and feel bad about not taking care of himself as we walk and he turns to face me as we draw closer to the lecture hall," I'll be fine soon."

I smile and lean my head on his shoulder," I just hope it's nothing serious."

" Yeah, me too sneeze." He mumbles.

1396 words

1