Arc 3, Chapter 2
840 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weeks passed since the day he went back in time. Lu Hao had kept himself incredibly busy.

He’d forgotten that he’d had a girlfriend until she showed up at his apartment, angry and spitting at having been ignored for so long. Lu Hao had stared at her with a blank confusion, only remembering her name after a short while—she was Xia Weiwei, his girlfriend who had turned into a zombie the first night and had nearly killed him on his bed.

Needless to say, they broke up.

Xia Weiwei had looked like she wanted to fight him, but she held herself back; and then she broke down sobbing, asking, why? Was she not good enough? Did he have someone else?

Lu Hao wasn’t in the mood to comfort her, but out of consideration that their relationship had been healthy back in the day and he really had cared for her up until she’d become a zombie, he invited her in, gave her some water to help her settle, and talked things through with her.

She was a perfectly good person. He just wasn’t able to be the one for her.

He didn’t tell her that he had someone else in his heart.

Once their split was settled as amicably as could be with such a sudden break-up, Lu Hao got on with his preparations.

First he had to locate the supplies he needed to stock up on, most important being life essentials. The second priority was the technology the researchers would need to study the vaccine; these, Lu Hao didn’t intend to purchase. He marked locations he could lift the machines from later.

The private investigators he’d hired struggled to find Hong Sheng. The young man was too low-key, likely only taking unofficial contract work that didn’t leave much of a document trail. His utter lack of social life also complicated things, as Hong Sheng would never leave much of an impression on the people he interacted with—which in itself was very few.

But the fourth private investigator had quickly yielded results.

A picture of a high school girl, her back hunched, head down, hair covering her face in a miserable display of low self-esteem, sat on Lu Hao’s desk. Lu Hao looked at the girl in this picture, a chilling cold deep in his eyes. He gave an uncharacteristic sneer, fingers twitching to tear the photo to shreds.

So this was Ji Ling.

The report that came with the photo was thorough. Ji Ling was a young girl from a neglectful household. She was bullied in school. An outcast. No friends, no loved ones. Her only personal connection was to her now-deceased grandmother.

But all that changed when the apocalypse hit, didn’t it?

She became the beautiful, elegant swan by standing over a mountain of corpses.

In some ways, she was similar to Hong Sheng. They both had that negative air of people who had never truly escaped from the darkness of their childhood. Neither of them were accepted by the world. It was the type of situation to turn anyone into a misanthrope. But where his Hong Sheng had Lu Hao and Lu Hao’s family, and where Hong Sheng had grown up to be such an earnest, sincere, and lovely but shy person, Ji Ling had only grown to be selfish and twisted.

Her desire to come out on top, to see herself become the heroine of some fantasy in her own mind, had lead to the deaths of everyone in this part of the world.

Lu Hao glanced at the photo with cold killing intent.

He liked to believe he was a moral man. He wouldn’t go against the laws of society. But he was also ruthless. The morals he liked to grandstand on became nothing once his bottom line was touched.

Ji Ling was just a defenseless high school student.

It would be easy to kill her.

However, she also had a secret he needed to unravel.

The ‘healing spring water’ that could even cure the zombie virus—how did she get it? Where did she store it? And how could Lu Hao tear the source out of her before he got rid of her entirely?

These meant that he wouldn’t act to kill her—for now.

But that didn’t mean he wouldn’t set her up.

If it meant protecting the people he cared about, he didn’t mind becoming a villain.

 

Another week had passed, and still no word on Hong Sheng.

The anger and anxiety simmered under Lu Hao’s skin. He had to find Hong Sheng before the apocalypse started. Rationally, he knew that he still had time. There were at least three months until July. But each day without seeing him became torture.

Lu Hao exercised to get that energy out from his body. He had to train himself to be in top shape, and the added benefit was that it helped him vent the frustration he felt.

As he did his push-ups, the muscles of his arms flexed with the rise of his body. Sweat beaded down his tanned skin and trailed over his shirtless torso, which gave rise to a thick and palpable heat from exertion.

He had exercised for hours. His insane body routine had quickly bulked his muscle mass, turning his body into a sleek, powerful, and deadly pinnacle of the male form.

But this exercise routine was interrupted by the buzz of his cell phone.

Someone was calling him. Lu Hao finished his push up and rose from the floor, walking over to the phone he’d left lying on a table. The phone had rung twice before he picked it up. “Hello?”

From the other side came a voice, low and quiet, almost hesitant to speak. The sound made Lu Hao’s heart pound into overdrive, every cell in his body clamoring as he heard, “Hello, Lu Hao. It’s… it’s Hong Sheng. I have something to say to you. Can we meet?”

Hong Sheng.

Lu Hao didn’t know what his body was doing. He felt out of control. His throat bobbed. Somehow he replied in a hoarse but steady tone, “Sure. You’re in F City?”

A light breathing came from the other end, seeming to tickle Lu Hao’s ear. “Yes.”

“Then let’s meet here.” Lu Hao told him the address of a cafe-bakery which sold the kinds of sweets Hong Sheng would love. This would be their reunion. Was it too hasty, to call it a first date? “I’ll see you right away.”

“Al…alright.”

Lu Hao waited for Hong Sheng to hang up, but no sound came other than the continuous light breathing. He chuckled, a mischievous spark in his eyes as he carried the phone with him to the bathroom. He left it on the counter, the call still connected, and stripped, sliding his sweatpants and underwear off his hips before climbing into the shower.

The rush of water and steam filled the air.

When Lu Hao finished washing off, he rubbed a towel over his hair and checked his phone.

The call had been hung up less than a minute ago.

He laughed, delight in his eyes. He walked out to get dressed, putting on clothes that would highlight his figure and make him irresistible to the eye.

Hong Sheng was so shy, he must have been so embarrassed, perhaps even furtively guilty as he listened in on Lu Hao showering?

There was no way he would have thought Lu Hao did it on purpose explicitly for him, either. He was just that silly.

…Even though he, too, may have been reborn.

At least, Lu Hao assumed.

The second Hong Sheng called him, Lu Hao knew that something was up. After all, Hong Sheng hadn’t called him in the past; if he reached out to Lu Hao now, it was likely that something on his end had changed.

Of course, Lu Hao couldn’t discount the butterfly effect. It was completely possible that this was the real 18-year-old Hong Sheng that had decided to come running into his arms.

The only way he’d know for sure was to meet him.

A moment of hesitation and guild crept onto Lu Hao’s face before he stomped those feelings out entirely. He was the culprit behind Hong Sheng’s horrible end in the past, but letting him go wasn’t an option. He couldn’t let himself disappoint him a second time. This time, he had to do better. He had to protect Hong Sheng to the end.

 

 

The cafe was something out of a picturesque novel, the kind of sunlit place surrounded by lush vines and flowers that made one feel like romance was blooming right around the corner. Its peace was terrifying to Lu Hao, in a way: it was like an ancient beast from his memory brought to life. Places like this hadn’t existed for years.

But now he was there, passing through the doors of this beautifully charming cafe as groups of young women cast glances at him, giggling; and as he cast his gaze over the tables, he saw one with a dark and gloomy young man hunched over in his seat.

Hong Sheng.

It was him.

A part of him screamed, hold him. Take him in your arms and touch him. Feel if he’s real, if his cheek is warm and whole; rub your fingers against his skin to know that he’s alive. His hands tensed, fingers curling with the urge to run themselves over Hong Sheng’s face. Lu Hao could barely contain himself.

But he kept himself in check. Forcing himself to calm, Lu Hao walked over. He seemed perfectly normal on the surface, just like any other young and handsome young man. But the trace of fervor in his eyes when he looked at Hong Sheng couldn’t be hidden. He smiled, and said, “Hong Sheng. I’m here.”

Hong Sheng lifted his head.

The dark curtain of his hanging, slightly puffed hair parted around the perpetually shadowed and bruised eyes on Hong Sheng’s pale face. Those eyes, that contained so much darkness and emptiness, now lit up with a soft joy that transformed him from the gloom and turned him into the softest, sweetest face.

Hong Sheng’s glittering dark eyes glanced at Lu Hao for just a moment before they darted away, his head ducking down again. A faint blush rose on his tender cheeks. He was so thin, Lu Hao noted—so small. The eighteen-year-old Hong Sheng wasn’t short, but he was extremely underweight. He hadn’t been taking care of himself. “L—Lu Hao,” Hong Sheng stuttered, fingers trembling around the water glass he held in a death grip between his hands, “I-It’s good to see you.”

Lu Hao weighed Hong Sheng carefully in his mind, thinking of how best to raise him. His gentle smile lifted a notch, and he sat down opposite Hong Sheng. “Mm.” A waitress flittered over soon after to take his order. Hong Sheng didn’t seem to want anything, looking too caught up in his own thoughts.

Once he’d put in his order, Lu Hao settled into his seat. He watched Hong Sheng carefully. There was a line of tension in the other’s shoulders, a vigilance. Whenever someone passed by, or when the loud clink of glasses or scrape of cutlery sounded, Hong Sheng’s fingers twitched, or his shoulders flinched.

How much of that was PTSD from the apocalypse, or how much of that was Hong Sheng’s rejection of public spaces, even Lu Hao couldn’t immediately tell.

A steaming cup of coffee soon arrived in front of Lu Hao, along with a cup of tea for Hong Sheng. He picked it up, taking in the warmth of the moment: this person who had been with him for nearly all his life was now back with him, the two of them sitting in the sunlight with the smell of sugar and coffee in the air.

“So,” Lu Hao said, the smile in his eyes deepening as Hong Sheng curled up, face slightly red, like a shrimp. “Hong Sheng, I didn’t expect you to contact me. I had been looking for you.”

“I’m sorry.” Hong Sheng looked miserable. “It was my mistake.” His mistake for leaving when he was fifteen, he meant. Going by their current age, they had been separated for three years. Hong Sheng had left without a single word and hadn’t contacted Lu Hao or his family since.

Thinking back to what had happened in his youth, a sour feeling rose in Lu Hao’s heart. Why had Hong Sheng left, back then? Didn’t he think Lu Hao and his family would want to take care of him? “You should have told me, you know. If I knew your father kicked you out, I would have made you stay at my place. You didn’t have to go through that alone.”

“I—I know,” Hong Sheng stuttered, eyes darting away, “But I got a job, and I was able to live well for a while, so…”

Lu Hao’s gaze turned sharp, the angle of his smile cutting a dangerous line. Hong Sheng was independent, so he didn’t have to stay with Lu Hao. Was that what he meant? Lu Hao tapped a finger against the table, the continuous thud, thud, thud, beating a tense rhythm. “So you thought you didn’t need me anymore?”

Hong Sheng shivered, and quickly said, “That’s not it.” Lu Hao relaxed a fraction, and Hong Sheng continued, “I just… I was afraid of dragging you down.” Hong Sheng nervously clutched his cup of tea, shoulders rising in a defensive hunch. “I was scared. And ashamed. I didn’t think I could face you.”

Instantly, the aggression in Lu Hao’s heart melted, leaving him feeling lost and bittersweet. The sound of weariness, the defeat in Hong Sheng’s voice, made him want nothing more than to go over and hold him tight. Hong Sheng had never been one to take people’s care and affection for granted. He must have been so worried that no one would want him. He’d rather struggle on his own than burden others.

He was so noble, in his own way. Aloof. His stray cat nature hadn’t changed. He could dart into the wilderness at any time to survive, even if the most luxurious home had been set up for him, because he never felt that it was truly his own.

So, how should Lu Hao go about collaring this cat and keeping him by his side?

Hong Sheng had always been obedient in front of him, practically purring sweetly for Lu Hao compared to how much distance and rejection he displayed to others. But that wasn’t enough. Lu Hao needed to make sure that if Hong Sheng ever experienced trouble again, if he ever landed in danger, his first instinct wouldn’t be to head out and solve things by his own, but to trust that Lu Hao could help him.

At this moment, the waitress delivered the plate of pastries Lu Hao had ordered.

A platter of flaky golden egg custard tarts, wobbling osmanthus jellies, crisp sesame balls, and other aromatic and freshly-baked goods slid onto the table. Hong Sheng’s eyes blew wide. Satisfaction curled within Lu Hao at the sight. He pushed the plate over to Hong Sheng in a casual move, as if he hadn’t specifically done this just to make Hong Sheng happy. “You should eat.”

Hong Sheng nodded, ducking his head so his face was out of sight. “Thank you.”

Lu Hao watched him. He was like a little squirrel, nibbling each bite slowly, savoring the taste as if he wanted to make it last for a lifetime. Hong Sheng’s thin, pale lips wrapped around the flaky pastry, flexing as he bit and swallowed. A buttery golden crumb stuck to his lips, only to be licked by an agile, slender tongue and brought into Hong Sheng’s warm, wet mouth. Lu Hao’s eyes darkened, pupils expanding with lust.

How would Hong Sheng taste if Lu Hao licked into his mouth right now? Would their kiss taste of coffee and pastry? Hong Sheng had never kissed anyone before, Lu Hao was sure. Would he be shy, blushing red, and try to wriggle free from Lu Hao, too ashamed to be doing something so intimate in front of so many strangers? Or would he obediently melt in Lu Hao’s arms, letting him do as he liked, holding and stroking him until Hong Sheng cried out?

Hong Sheng was completely oblivious to his thoughts.

That was for the better. It was too soon to think about these things. After all, Hong Sheng deserved better; he should be made to feel loved and cared for. Lu Hao would go slowly. In the meantime, he still had to determine if Hong Sheng had been reborn or not.

So when Hong Sheng finished eating the egg custard tart and started on an osmanthus jelly, he asked, “What do you do for work?”

And this was where he made his breakthrough.

Hong Sheng said that he had quit his job. He had acted cagily as he spoke, eyes darting, a distinct furtiveness in the careful way he chose his words.

If he knew the apocalypse was coming, he certainly wouldn’t have much reason to continue working.

So Lu Hao laid a little trap for him. He took a sip of his coffee and told him, “Come stay with me, Hong Sheng.” He smiled and gave some surface-level reasons for why Hong Sheng should come live with him, and specifically, in the remote villa that Hong Sheng had only ever set foot in after he had come to join the SG. It was after he had given those reasons that Lu Hao had paused, and casually asked, “You remember the villa, right?”

The 18-year-old Hong Sheng had never set foot in that villa. After all, Lu Hao’s parents had only bought it after Hong Sheng had run away.

But this Hong Sheng nodded, without a single doubt, making Lu Hao’s eyes shine. Hong Sheng then asked, “What about your parents?”

This was the reborn Hong Sheng. The knowledge settled deep in Lu Hao’s heart. On one hand, this was the Hong Sheng who knew that Lu Hao had failed him. This was the Hong Sheng Lu Hao had caused to die. But this was also the Hong Sheng that remembered all this, but still came back to Lu Hao anyway.

Lu Hao gave a breezy answer about how his parents had gone on vacation in Iceland and would be away for several months. In fact, that wasn’t exactly true; under his insistence, his parents had indeed gone to Iceland. Though they were there on ‘vacation’, his purpose was also for them to familiarize themselves with the environment, and oversee the construction of their ‘vacation home’.

Once they flew back to China, Lu Hao could take Hong Sheng to visit. Until then, he’d keep it a secret to give both Hong Sheng and his parents a pleasant surprise.

With everything settled, Lu Hao patted Hong Sheng on the shoulder. “We’ll hire movers to bring your things,” he said, intending to get Hong Sheng to live with him as soon as possible.

26