4. Tying Loose Ends
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

The sisters took a taxi straight to downtown. 

When the driver asked for a fifty dollar fare she did not bat an eyelid paying. 

They landed on the shoppers favorite street. Each side is lined with expensive product brands both domestic and international. Flower boxes, dainty street lamps and wrought iron benches dotted the neat pathways.  

A place made of desire filled with things that had little use in the broken world. 

“It’s pretty here.” Lallie said, her eyes twinkling like starlights looking from left to right. “So many shiny things.”

“You like it in here?”

“Yep.”

“Wanna stay?”

“Will you be here?” Lallie asked looking up to her. Her eyes filled with a child’s fierce dependence.  

“Why ask me? I thought you liked shiny things.”

The little girl pouted. “Not without you. I’ll be scared.”  

Alvis laughed softly hearing her childish murmurs. She squatted down and gave her a hug. She was so happy she could fight another war with the arthropods from planet Khur. 

“Don’t worry, Sissy is here. We will always be together from now on.”

Hand in hand, two girls walked through the shopping center outdoors. Lallie was ecstatic when they finally reached the restaurant outlet, she broke away from her hold and ran towards the giant bear mascot waving and welcoming the guests. The happy times ended. 

[Well, there goes your sister’s love.] 00 gloated sensing Major Al’s heartache. [Snatched by a stranger wearing a smelly bear outfit.]

Alvis snorted, thinking she might have boiled bear for lunch and a newbie system for side dish.

00 cleverly shut itself up for safety. 

The guy inside the fake bear suit suddenly felt a chill despite the thickness of the costume. What was wrong with him? He was cooking like a steamed dumpling one moment, shivering the next. 

When he looked down he saw a lovely little girl in a cute yellow dress smiling up to him. 

Mr Grizzly held his paws on his cheeks to show his delight. His tiny visitor is such a stunner he couldn’t resist picking her. 

Despite Alvis’ pain for having Lallie snatched, she still fished out her cellphone and clicked a few photos for memories. 

The stupid looking bear made a few cutesy poses to fool her baby sister.    

00 was thankful Major’s particle cannon is tucked thousands of years away in her starship else this thing had already broken down to the smallest atom.    

Lunch came soon, the giddy Lallie pasted her face right on the glass wall looking at the mascot with love-struck eyes. Sissy found them a nice spot where she could see Mr Grizzly while having a meal. She obediently ate her chicken tenders, whole grain tuna sandwich and finally the fruit yoghurt she loved the most. 

Alvis sat on the opposite side enjoying her sister’s minute expressions. She stuffed her cheeks and chewed her food carefully and would stuff some into her mouth as well. The action was still clumsy but she couldn’t help but love it. 

Her little hands would move her fork and spoon putting food in her mouth. The stains were all over her chin she had to reach across from time to time to wipe it with tissue. Even when washing her hands, she only helped Lallie on a stepping stool. The rest from squeezing hand soap to rinsing, she did herself. 

It was exactly twelve o’clock and people are starting to trickle into the restaurant for lunch. 

From outside people can see two identical faces, one big and one small giving the onlookers a very pleasant feeling. The young lady in the yellow sweater looked at the little one with adoring eyes.  

“What beautiful girls, I wonder if they’re a mother and daughter pair.” a guy in a gray shirt elbowed the man on a black parka.  

“Keep your eyes to yourself. If her husband caught you it would be another trouble.”

“Do I look like some rogue to you? I’m just happy. I thought coming into this backcountry would burn my eyes.”

“While your mother is having trouble at her company, here you are distracted by useless things.”

“I’m concerned about mom but seeing beauty is an entirely different matter you see.” 

His companion snorted and turned, his eyes swept at the said restaurant. He didn’t want to stare but the bright yellow figure stood out among the other colors. Unfortunately he did not see her face clearly.  

However, there was an air of familiarity on this girl that made him reluctant to look away.

“What do you think Dean?” his vision was rudely blocked by a hand. “Who’s more beautiful, that lady or the heartless woman who tore your heart out and fed it to the fishes?”

Dean’s face turned somber. He did not reply. 

Mattia sighed loudly. He must be heartbroken still. Why do good guys always fall for evil women? It was painful to look at! 

If he could, he would drag his good friend into a string of blind dates until he finds Ms. Perfect.

Well, maybe not too perfect. 

The one in the restaurant wasn’t the aggressive type of beauty that can make all the men kneel. Hers was more on a mellow side coupled with an indescribable sweetness and charm. Her temperament if you call it. Also, the yellow sweater did a lot to amplify that good point but maybe if it were any other occasion, she would be regarded like any other pretty face out there. 

The hailed campus goddess on the other hand, is a rare beauty. Magazines scramble to make her their cover girl. Unfortunately, he knew Dean’s preference. He liked girls with the kind of beauty that goes beyond the outer layer.  

Mattia glanced inside the restaurant. Too bad the lady inside was married. 

“She doesn’t have a ring.” Dean blurted out of the blue. 

Mattia was shocked, “Excuse me?” 

“I said, she doesn’t have a ring.”

He nearly slid off the railing. Who knew his friends had such sharp eyes? Mattia is simply amazed. 

 

Alvis met with Mr Keith two days later and formally received the will her parents left them. The will stated the sisters name as beneficiaries and Mr Keith as guardian but since Alvis is already of age, she is now the guardian of Lallie and is capable of moving the assets. Mr. Keith has arranged for the necessary procedures to be followed once they arrive in J City the sooner they deal with it the better. 

She and Lallie are now rich.    

Looking at the date when the will was made, she realized her parents have long made preparations for their future. Warmth blossomed in her chest.  

“If Miss Klein has any other things, you can say it directly to my secretary and he will help you with the best of his ability.” Mr Keith said sipping on a black tea.

Alvis had been thinking a lot about how to start preparing for the apocalypse. Looking for a secure hideout is number one on her list, either of the houses they inherited might be useful but she will have to check them first before making a decision. Second priority is their food and clothing. Thankfully she was given this timely offer, hence she did not shy away.

“I would like to rent two warehouse in different locations. One near the place in Magnolia Park if that’s possible and the other in the city.” she said.

Mr Keith subtly raised an eyebrow then he gestured for his secretary to note it.

“How long will the lease last? What is your preference?” Mr Secretary asked mildly. 

“A month of rent is alright, it would be convenient if the warehouse is spacious enough.”  

“We have plenty of prospects in the list, you only have to choose. I will arrange it as soon as possible.”

“Um. I also want to rent a homestead and buy a few animals to personally raise.” 

Mr Secretary paused for a bit, “Does Miss also want it near the new residence?”

“Oh, no.” she said quickly. “The farmhouse could be in another place but I would like it very much if it’s not too far from J City. Preferably within a day’s drive.”

Mr Keith chuckled. Sometime ago, their father also had the same idea when he started constructing houses in two remote locations. Unfortunately Klein left early and the plan was postponed. Looks like his daughter will realize his pastoral dream for him, he sighed in melancholy. 

As for the idea that Alvis might be doing this for another reason? It did not cross the old lawyer’s mind.  

The meeting ended shortly after Alvis handed in a list of things she wanted purchased to the Secretary. She thanked the two profusely before departing and taking Lallie out to play.

During these days, their aunt still hasn't returned home, leaving them a lot of time to tie loose ends. Alvis went to the company with the intention of resigning from her job, surprisingly Ms. Cristy was also waiting for her to return. 

It was still the same chic office she remembered. On the surface she can see flowers neatly arranged on the table, several books lined up on the shelves regarding Philosophy, History with some of the owner’s favorite novels. Deep inside her, however, Alvis is keenly aware that something has changed. 

Perhaps it was her trip to the future that influenced her. Maybe it was the fact that she died for unknown reasons within this company or it could also be her urgent need to get away from this city. 

Ms. Cristy looked at her intern with surprise. She couldn’t point it out exactly but her keen senses knew that something had changed drastically. 

“It will be a little hard without you.” she said when she finished the formal resignation letter.

With her slender, well-manicured hand, she neatly put in her signature.  

Alvis smiled faintly. “Thank you for having me for the past eight months maam. I have learned a lot.”      

Ms. Cristy reluctantly approved of her resignation. 

She couldn’t remember much of the details of her work environment and former boss but she knew she was a genuinely good person. She even got an excellent recommendation letter for her next job. 

Alvis is good when reading people’s moods, she can feel her boss wanted her to stay. One puzzling thing is that she hinted guilt when she looked into her eyes. It wasn’t a big thing so she ignored it but when the police came and arrested one of her colleagues, the truth was finally exposed. 

The other day on the way home Ms. Cristy was almost kidnapped. A person snuck into her house and slipped her drug. The plan was to put her in a speeding car to stage a traffic accident, it was a miracle her son who lived in J City arrived on time.

The culprit was arrested and was forced to confess his accomplice which was the colleague who is now being arrested. Alvis’ accident was also highly related to this incident. The reason why she was supposed to have died in that toilet was because she drank the soda with drugs that were intended for Ms. Cristy. 

Her body had a bad reaction to it.  

In her hazy memory she did recall having lunch with her boss that day. She saw a bit of stain on the cup so she exchanged it for her own. 

Alvis sighed inwardly. What an unfortunate event that caused their life to careen further to the abyss.

Anyway, now that things are finally solved she can just throw it at the back burner of her mind. They are no longer part of this city from here on. 

That night her aunt returned elated from her five-day cruise with sinister plots whispered to her by some unknown man. The first thing she mentioned was about her daughter Dawn coming back home from abroad.

Her aunt Lin said she may not be able to stay often so she had to aggrieve the sisters to fend for their own when that time comes. Alvis reckons that she and that lawyer must have gotten along really well in these five days. They wanted her to leave the house and the farther it is the better. 

Alvis readily agreed to leave first things tomorrow without a single leak of emotion. It was also the time for them to bid goodbye. Staying here for a year had most suffocated them so leaving is the wisest choice.

Their aunt only asked perfunctory questions as to where they are moving and if they had enough finances to support themselves, aside from that she didn’t even bother to offer any assistance. 

“It’s too bad to end your internship just like that. It might reflect badly on your record.” Aunt Lin said in her usual concerned yet ridiculing tone. 

She smiled brightly snuffing out the old woman’s glee, “Ms Cristy was kind enough to give me recommendation to a company in J City. The salary is high and the environment is good so I readily accepted, I will be continuing my tenure there. I’m fortunate it was closer to the university this time.” 

Aunt Lin’s wide smile froze as she saw the joy making Alvis’ face glow. 

“You know your cousin Dawn is about to go to Europe for a vacation.” Aunt Lin said proudly. “She said it was her boss’s treat.” 

“Good for her.” Alvis did not even look up and just continued to pack their stuff up, “But I heard there is an outbreak over there, I’m not sure but it’s better to be careful.”

When she heard about an outbreak, Aunt Lin grew alarmed. 

“What outbreak? How serious?”

“You haven’t heard? It has been in the news lately. Other countries in Europe already begin to close their airports.” then like an innocent kid, she said, “The experts speculate that there might be a worldwide pandemic announcement soon. After all, it has been weeks and there is still no vaccine…” 

“You… don’t make up things!” her aunt shouted all of a sudden.

Alvis looked at her with a pitiful look, “That’s what the news said.” 

Two suitcases were easy to pack, she snapped and zipped them locked. 

“Thank you Aunt Lin for your care. We sisters appreciate it, we have to be on our way now before noon.”

Her aunt was too busy worrying about her daughter and missed the laughing look on her face. When Aunt Lin recovered her calm, they were already inside the awaiting taxi waving her goodbye. 

1