6. Stockpiling Supplies I
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Monday of the second week, the skies remained azure clear without a slight blemish. She and Lallie made plans to stroll around the J City and at the same time buy their current and future necessities. Borrowing one of their father’s cars, Alvis neatly moved out of the villa.

First stop, the west seaside district for their most important supply: Food.

The west has a large selection of products from the cheapest goods up to the expensive ones. In one of the well-known wholesale markets, Alvis asked the manager if she can rent one or two trucks for the delivery of her goods. From the west, it will be brought straight to a warehouse she rented not far from their home in Magnolia Park.

At first, she was worried she might appear suspicious. Fortunately, she was just overthinking things. Every day people come here to buy tons of products that is why no one found her behaviour suspicious. Most of those who come to this place are either people who had retail businesses or from large families needing to restock.

For them, she was just like any other buyer. The bulks of purchases were selected and by afternoon it was finally delivered smoothly without worries.

Alvis’ plan was simple, once the supplies reached the warehouses, she would then come and ‘move’ them to the Ark. Since she is not allowed to take out any weapons or any destructive device from the future, the Ark, a Class 5 storage device, was the compensation 00 allowed her to use.

As for the excuse/reason she made to negotiate? Of course, it’s for collecting ‘relics’ and samples from the origin planet. It took her half a day to bargain and wrestle with her AI until she got what she wanted! Soon her purchases will be neatly placed inside the Ark’s enormous storage.

The sisters continue to tour around the west from the chic parks and pavilions down to the not so clean areas visiting large chain stores until they chafed their ankles. Outside in the midday sun, the streets bustled as the smell of meat, fruits and vegetables mingled.

Half a day after buying all the things on her today’s list, she then pulled Lallie to the largest seaside mall in the city to play. There was a nice outdoor restaurant with a playground on the third floor of the mall hence it became their stopover for a meal.

“Are you tired already?” she asked the little girl licking her dessert.

Lallie looked up, her marble-like eyes shining and shook her head.

She chuckled, “Alright. We’ll play some more.”

Although they often went out these past few days, the little girl's insatiable curiosity and enthusiasm are still far from being fulfilled. Alvis did her best to give her at least a piece of the world before everything ends.

After an enjoyable lunch, they moved upwards. On the top floor, the two of them sat in the bump car. Alvis securely placed the seatbelt across Lallie’s body and began driving.

“Ready, luv?”

Lallie giggled joyously, “Sissy, go!”

Alvis flexed her fingers and started.

[00, if the officers wanted me to find and help the ancestor origin I must have access to their own circle but I worry that I may affect other people. I cannot just crash in and disturb their lives or there will be serious consequences.]

Lallie’s laughter floated in the entire bump car area attracting smiles from the people around.

As for her crazy sister?

The sun shone on Alvis’ sweat-soaked skin as she manipulated the wheel, evading two cars on their way to bump on them. She persisted to avoid four more without minding the odd gazes given to them. In the middle of their play, she was also busy conversing with her AI. Wet patches on both her front and back turned her grey shirt darker.

[Rejoice Major, the officers already solved that problem. The officers said that only the ancestor origin’s life pattern will deviate once you are in contact with them. The rest will follow their path if you do not deliberately interfere with their will or interrupt with their choices.]

She was quiet for a while. 00 thought she did not understand.

[Take Miss Lallie for example, although you decided to make her life convenient and happy as long as you do not deliberately manipulate her thoughts and feelings her final destiny will still happen. She will still meet and marry the man who will give her excellent children, grandchildren and great great grandchildren that founded the House of Brass in the Nebula Era.]

When it comes to her sister, Alvis has no plans to butt in. Her love, frustrations, happiness, pain, excitement, anger and success are all hers to experience. Every bit of it is what molded her to be the great woman that she is in the future.    

[I see, so there is no danger of altering the future. Then, the legend about the ripple effect is false?] She drove their car to the edge, sandwiched in between the side and three upcoming cars on both front and the right, a smile broke into her face. Lallie squealed, cheering her on.

Alvis did not disappoint her sister and quickly slid past the gaps of her opponents before the space shortened.

“Yey!!!” she heard Lallie’s unrestrained laughter.

This time, she drove with ease seeing that they are far from their ‘enemies’.

[The ripple effect is not entirely false. It is just that our officers found a way to reduce the cause of action into 1% with the aid of the main system. That means that only things Major forcefully touches are allowed to change. The rest will proceed to their original pattern. Any excess action will be sent to the mainframe to be investigated whether or not will create an impact on the future. The main system will take action after calculating the amount of change or danger it represents. Only then Major will receive a warning.]

Alvis mulled over the information she received.  

[Will the warning be painful?] she remembered the removal of her memory shield and visibly shivered.  

[No, we are all law-abiding citizens of the empire. We do not adhere to physical torture.] 00 flattered but dare not say that the officers are afraid of upsetting her and make her suddenly give up the mission.

Among the billions of people in the interstellar, only two people had a soul resonance to the ancients of the mother planet and these two were naturally the only ones qualified to traverse the rivers of time.

[That’s convenient.] Alvis sighed in relief.

[It’s a safety precaution against people who might steal this technology and use it to alter the world’s original trajectory.]   

She completely agreed with that kind of move. Criminals are still rampant even in the Nebula Era, and they’ve become more unscrupulous and smart.

[00, what are the chances of creating a ripple if we help Mr Keith?]

It was silent for a while until. [One out of billions: None. His sphere of influence is small. Mr Keith’s life and death will not cause the world’s trajectory to shake.]

[Send an anonymous warning to his device and his secretary. Make it very credible.]

[Aye, Major.]  

She stopped conversing with 00 and enjoyed her playtime with Lallie.

When the sisters finally finished their turn, they left behind a bunch of frustrated teens and crying children. Not once was their car hit by anyone inside the ring. Alvis fished her little sister out just in time as a little boy ran towards their direction to complain.

“Another!”

“Huh…?”

Lallie’s big eyes blinked at her. “Sissy look!”

Alvis looked down and saw a boy about ten years of age looking at her with anger in his eyes.

“I want another round. I haven't lost yet,” he said petulantly.

She laughed, she didn’t know they were in a competition. “Little kid, I’m sorry it’s already quite late. I’m afraid we can no longer play.”  

“But… but…”

Alvis put down her sister and patted his head. She leaned closer and smiled sharing a secret that instantly wiped off the boy’s grumpy mood.

“Really?” he brightened up.

“Would I lie to you? I will teach the same thing to my sister when she’s old enough to play.”

The boy then noticed the little girl holding on to her leg like a koala. “Her? But she’s a girl.”

Her eyelid twitched. You little snot, then what am I to you?

[It seems your charms are lacking, Major.] 00 butts in.

[00, would you like to sleep?]

[No, Major. 00 doesn’t like sleep.] the quivering voice replied.

Lallie frowned not liking the boy looking at her. A while ago he was mad at her sister, now he’s smiling? Sissy even touched his head!

Humph, so unhappy.

Julian had no idea why the little doll suddenly stuck her tongue out to him. He was just teasing her a little. He touched his nose shyly and tried not to make her any more upset by talking unnecessarily.

When the sisters went away. He energetically ran to his cousin and dragged him towards the ring to test his newfound tricks.

In the grocery store below, Alvis put Lallie inside the pushcart as the two of them shuttle in between the shelves buying everything that can be eaten. Chips, cookies, biscuits, flavoured bread, and different kinds of drinks piled up in their cart one after another. Another round of buying commenced.    

[Major, are you sure you are allowing Miss Lallie to eat all of these? According to the data I scanned based on its nutritional value, these things have little benefit to health.]

[It does have actually.]

00 was amazed, is there something his great self overlooked? [What else?]

[Happiness.] Alvis said with a chuckle. [It makes people feel happy when eating these. When people are happy they think more clearly and function more effectively. Do you dare not agree?]

[Err… it seems like so. Well, whatever the major say.] 00 chirped.  

She smirked, thinking that 00’s thoughts were too innocent. [In the early years of the apocalypse, all factories will cease production. Looting will happen in every part of the country. Things as mundane as this will no longer exist.] she said, grabbing a box of chilli crab instant noodle on one hand and a laksa flavoured one the next.  

It was tiring to move about like this so she noted the things she saw around the supermarket and decided to buy them in bulk orders.

 

For the next couple of days, Alvis wanted Lallie to see the ocean while it was still calm. She booked a private cottage in a resort half a day's travel from the capital region. She toured her sister around zoos, museums, parks, libraries, the aquarium and the planetarium while also doing a lot of shopping and ordering online.

At night, she would train for at least two hours to increase her body’s stamina and strength. Although 00 adjusted her health, she still needed to test her flexibility and endurance in order to have good control. Fortunately, the two weeks of practice did not go to waste.

She will need a lot of energy running after all.

In the mornings, they went to the beach frolicking along the wide stretch of sand and rented a boat for a brief snorkeling trip. Alvis told the guide she will swimming a little longer as a cover for her specimen collection like fish, sea shells, seaweed etc. It was past noon when they returned and both sisters sported brand new tan lines. The cottage has all basic amenities but they prefer walking to the nearby bistros to eat. Not far from the beach they were staying at is an amusement park known as the landmark of that seaside city. After half a day of a stroll, the two of them rode the Ferris wheel, watched the penguins dance, skated in the ice rink, ate outside, and played at the booths sweeping the toys Lallie liked.

After playing, Alvis did not forget to drive in the nearby town famous for its preserved products to pick up her orders. The little place she wanted to visit was once featured on a blog of a food anchor she patronized during her free hours.

Inside a wide fenced yard, an old couple sat under a cherry tree about to have their afternoon snack when a blue rusty truck covered with tarp stopped in the dirt path outside the gate. 

“Hello, good afternoon. Is this the house of Mr and Mrs Lee?”

The old lady enthusiastically sprang to her feet and walked to open the gate. “You must be Ms. Klein? The one who ordered preserved and cooked food?”

“Yes, yes that’s me.” Alvis smiled.

The old lady was dazzled. This girl is really pretty. Small, white, and soft with dimples it didn’t even matter if she came driving an old battered truck. In the passenger seat, she saw a little girl poking her head on the window looking at the scenery.

“What a lovely child.” 

“That is my baby sister, Lallie.” Alvis introduced cordially.

Lallie looked back and waved, “Hello granny.”

The sisters were pulled in the yard and greeted Grandpa Lee as well before proceeding to the business at hand. Before planning the vacation, Alvis already inquired about the products that can be bought from the nearby provinces around the capital, this place, in particular, fit her taste.

Known as the culinary capital of their country, this place caters to a wide range of cuisine not just local but from all over New Asia.

Granny Lee guided them to the backyard where an army of aunties are busy cooking. On the other side are young girls sorting out the pickling jars, preserved food like beef jerkies , salted eggs, bacon and special sausages while some packaged the cooked meals into thermo boxes.

Alvis drooled at the sight and smell of food before them. Braised and fried pork knuckles, a selection of meat skewers, crispy roast duck sesame balls with red bean fillings, paella, stews, fried and fresh spring rolls, beef pho, grilled squid, spicy shrimps, and many more being put into boxes. 

“Are you satisfied with the setup girlie?” Granny Lee asked.

Alvis happily replied, “Very.” 

She listed all the food she could think of and let the experts cook them for best quality.  

“Thanks to you the idle ladies had something to do and earned extra income. The news about that virus is making people nervous. Truthfully, our folks only want to live simply, as long as we can eat and live healthy we are happy.”

An extra income means assurance for emergencies. 

“This is a good place, the air is fresh and the land is clean,” Alvis commented, the old lady smiled at her heartfelt compliment to their little town.  “Granny, the following days might be a lot more troublesome so if it is possible try not to go to the crowded city or any far places. You may not know what sickness is out there. Also, if you have loved ones outside it is better to call them back for a while.”

Grandpa Lee who is quiet on the side carefully noted her words. “Girl, I also feel it is not fruitful to go out these days.”   

“What grandpa feels is based on your instinct. Anyway, there is no loss when following it, right?”

The old couple nodded. 

When the aunts finished packing, it was time to clean up the backyard and take a rest.  The food boxes were neatly put on the back of the truck along with the jars of preserves and bottles of jams. They will be put in the Ark later when they returned the rented vehicle and drive their own car back to the capital.

After tidying up, Alvis handed over the distribution of payment to Grandma Lee’s daughter including labour and the expenses for the ingredients used. Everyone was happy to return home with bulging wallets. 

The sisters stayed for an afternoon snack with everyone since there is still a lot of time. The aunts blended freshly made cacao drinks to give them a taste. 

Lallie instantly loved the taste of the chocolate drink so Alvis bought a hundred bags of tablea chocolate. Before leaving, she reminded the folks one last time to store food that could last for a couple of months and go out less in the following days. 

She did not mention the virus but told them about the weather and inflation instead. 

On the other hand, her Aunt Lin nervously waited for her lover’s report about the inheritance her stupid nieces have but it’s been two weeks and still no news.

1