8. Finally Meeting The Origin Ancestor
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

At the end of the second week, news about the pandemic made it to the local headline. The symptoms include losing the tactile perception, followed by the loss of taste then finally falling into a coma. Because it was not airborne, the spread was rather slow.   

While most of the citizens remained oblivious, several big families with a connection to the government and military were alerted early and made their preparation. From word of mouth, it spread until the middle class who in turn began to move as well.   

By Alvis’ orders, 00 began releasing an anonymous post about an upcoming calamity.

Lallie and Alvis sat in the middle of the huge living room looking at the TV. The cosy atmosphere is a huge contrast to the mayhem developing inside the news. Outwardly, Alvis remained calm, but her heart was beating very fast.

“Sissy look, ambulance!”

She rubbed Lallie’s head. “Baby, those people do not feel well, that is why they needed to go to the hospital.”

“But hospitals are scary.” She remembered being brought to one and an auntie came with a big needle. She cried a lot.

Alvis was reminded of the last time Lallie had a high fever. She just returned from work and found her burning up so bad yet none of the people inside the house cared to check.

She hugged the tiny cinnamon and smothered her cheeks with kisses. “Yes, hospitals are scary. Lallie needs to eat healthily, take her vitamins and sleep early or else the auntie with a big needle will come.”

Alvis pulled her up from the soft rug and patted her butt. It was time to rest. She turned the TV off and headed to the master suite upstairs carrying Lallie in her arms.

[00, double-check the surroundings.]

[Roger!]  

Knowing about the end is one thing, seeing it unfold is an entirely different matter. Since they are still using the upper villa these days, she makes sure that the metal shutters of every window and doors are already closed after sunset.

Monday of the third week, the sisters drove to her university to deal with the end of her internship.

On this day an interscholastic sports meet is happening inside the campus. Alvis stopped short and tapped her forehead, she forgot. Colleges and universities from every city gather for a friendly competition to promote goodwill and harmony.

[Major, we have been in this city for two weeks and brushed shoulders with a lot of people already but there is still no sign of the origin ancestor.]

Alvis felt pity for her AI, [Is your information correct? Are you sure he emerged here in J City and not in any other place?]

[One hundred per cent. I can sense his presence but it’s hard to calculate how far exactly. The origin ancestor must be protected at all cost. The empire’s fate depends on this mission.]

[Now I’m curious who the person is. It must be someone of great potential and strength to have the officers bet on a failed research.]

00 went silent. It could hint doubt from the major’s tone. Once the major doubts, she would not stop investigating until she gets an answer. 00 feared he might slip.

Most of the morning matches were already finished at the moment and students are scattered around the campus enjoying their short breaks. Inside the second-floor lecture hall that temporarily served as the lacrosse team’s lounge, a commotion broke out. Instead of going out the door, the resting students ran towards the window to witness a scene.

“Oh, look! Isn’t that the campus Adonis’ girlfriend?”

“Which one?”

“Over there, that’s Alvis Klein right?”

A girl in a ponytail snorted, “What girlfriend? Dean and she never had that kind of relationship. Be careful making things up or you’ll get in trouble. If you were to ask me, I’m more in favour of Fei since she and Dean match.”     

“Since when did Miss Fei and Dean get together?” one curious voice asked.

“After Alvis Klein the only person who could come near him was Fei. Well, looking at Miss Fei’s bubbly personality no matter how stoic and aloof Dean was, he would still have to give in. Which was something he would never do to anyone, mind you. She did not give up making friends with him, her persistence was admirable considering how intimidating the other person.”

“I wonder why is Alvis Klein here all of a sudden? She should be working.”

“Who knows…”

It was like one of those classic stories of a ruthless first love who suddenly left. When the man finds his soulmate, the evil first love returns to beg for attention or stir trouble. She would do her best to break the budding romance and snatch the man back.

Almost everyone’s thoughts turned to that direction. If Alvis heard these words, she would definitely bust a gut from laughing.

“I heard her internship with Cristy was originally Fei’s. How true is that?”

“There was a rumour that she grabbed the post through a backdoor. However, she came back so early.”

“Maybe she got fired.” The ponytail girl was particularly ecstatic and did not hide her disdain. “Dean has changed a lot and was no longer that starry-eyed fool who followed her. If she had known what kind of person she threw away she would surely regret it.”

She definitely would. No one knew Dean was the son and heir of the multinational conglomerate Silica until his father’s funeral broadcast on television. The onlookers, which most girls, laughed watching the figure crossing the lawn.

“Serves her right. After the embarrassment she caused during the Foundation Day it’s really a wonder how she made it to a good company.”

“You didn’t know? Someone helped her to smoothly get accepted to Cristy’s. It was rumoured that she rejected Dean for that person’s favour.”

While others made a joke out of her, there were students who genuinely appreciate Alvis’ talents regardless of what happened. Although she may seem cold to other things and may look unapproachable, she’s smart and wouldn’t hesitate to lend a hand when a batchmate needs help with their studies.

Well, as long as it is limited to studies. Other things? What are those?   

Aside from the onlookers, an old acquaintance of Al also saw her coming while towing along a small girl.

She was tickling the child, making her giggle. When she smiled, dimples appeared on her cheeks. She looked bright and sweet, it gave people a pleasant feeling.

Then his sight rested on her eyes, she had nicely shaped almond eyes. Provocatively upturned at the ends that somehow paired perfectly with her plump lips. Her soft black hair was swept to the side to prevent it from hindering her sight.    

For some reason, Dean Lazhward couldn’t remove his eyes even though he knew he should.

He realized what he was doing and felt his whole person freeze over. The book he held on his hand slipped. To this day, he still could not forget the cold unfeeling eyes that looked at him.

Once he believed she was the woman meant for him. His whole world revolved around her. Every breath she takes fills him with profound hope and joy. What about now?

A smile devoid of joy lifted the corners of his mouth.

Alvis Klein, he never thought she was capable of being ruthless towards him to such an extent that until now the resentment and pain he felt remained. But what hurt him the most was not only her rejection, it was that bone-chilling disappointment she gave in exchange for his soul.  

Dean tore his eyes away from her but his thoughts remained occupied. Making such a racket and still having the cheek to swagger around as nothing happened, only she has the guts to do so.

He knew she was notorious for being blunt. Her devil may care personality annoyed plenty of people because, despite her stinking reputation, the professors liked her attitude when it came to studying, meeting deadlines for her reports and projects.

Lallie looked around curiously and tugged on her Sissy’s hand. “Is this your school?”

“Uh-huh,” Alvis said, then she pointed at a building in the north side. “Over there is where I sit to listen to the teachers.”

“So many people here, Sissy won’t you get lost?”

“Me? As long as I don’t wander around, I won’t get lost.”

Lallie listened carefully and noted it to heart. She also does that after her teacher in the kindergarten finishes class. She patiently waits for Alvis to return and dare not move around. This place is much bigger than her own school and has lots of people too. Truthfully, big places like this make her a little scared, she must not let go of Sissy and let her be lost.

Alvis felt the small hand holding on to her tightened and she chuckled inwardly. She knew she would be obedient.

Long time... coming back here gave her the same nostalgic feeling when she stepped into her aunt’s house. Classmates, batchmates, professors, friends and… she seem to have forgotten something important.

[Are my memories fully recovered?]

00 answered swiftly, [99% restored major.]

[What of the remaining 1%?] At this time, she already reached the main building where the faculty offices are located.

[Major, origin ancestor is within ten meters ahead of you. Stay alert!]

00’s mechanical announcement interrupted her query and was replaced by a countdown. She focused on the matter at hand and kept her eyes peeled. At last, the search will finally end.

[Target is within 9 meters… 8 meters… 7 meters…]

Alvis continues to move around as the numbers decrease but why does it seem the way leads to the faculty office? Her eyebrows curled tighter and tighter. Is the ancestor origin one of the instructors?

An epiphany came to her. Really!?

A person with superior genes. Someone who came from one of the mysterious hidden clans is right here in the university and no one was aware of until now. Alvis was smiling like silly when she opened the door.

Her eyes brimming with undisguised excitement went straight to Professor Su darting past the person standing in between.

Inside, Dean was about to talk to their Ethics professor when the door opened. Seeing who came, he lost all ability to think all of a sudden.

White. His head turned entirely white that he could see no one else in the periphery except her.

The questions he had were flung out of the window after he was hit with that foolish smile. Like a glare from the sun, he was blinded. Dean’s world stood still just like that day he first saw her sleeping behind a tower of books.

He thought he would never have the chance to feel that peculiar emotion again. Things like that only exist once. He could feel tiny currents of electricity tickling his body, from the soles of his feet to the roots of his hair. It made him lightheaded, giddy and excited all at once.

The heart inside his chest felt like it would jump out. In his life, he only counted a few things that made his heart beat so fast; one was when his experiment succeeded, the other was when he saw the sleeping beauty in the library.

And today when she smiled so happily.

He never saw her smile before.

[Major, the ancestor origin is the young man in front of you.] 00 corrected before Alvis completely misunderstood.

Her smile froze.

Dean also froze when he realized the smile wasn’t meant for him but for the man behind him.

Two people looked at each other in awkward silence.

“Yes, how can I help you, Miss Klein?” Prof. Su asked, oblivious to the stagnant air.

Alvis was quick to adapt. She pulled out a folded letter inside her bag and handed it to Prof. Su.

Dean was ignored, his eyes briefly skimmed the letterhead and looked at her abruptly.

A letter from Cristy Agency… has she finished her internship already?

“I must say, you are impressive.” Professor Su genuinely rapped out praise. “Now all you have to do is to finish your remaining credits and you’re off to your masters. Congratulations Miss Klein, as your homeroom adviser, I’m proud of you!”

“Thank you sir!” she said sheepishly.

Dean frowned on the side seeing her animated response. What is this? Did the ice block melt today?

“Congratulations Sissy, you’re the best,” Lallie adds in since the big uncle is praising her sister happily.

“Who’s this?” Prof Su smiled when he noticed a small kid like a miniature version of his student.

Most people loved children, and the young professor is no exception.

“Ah, professor this is Lallie, my baby sister. Lallie, the good man is my teacher.” she introduced the two.

Lallie waved. “Hello Sissy’s teacher, Teacher Su.” her small hands went to her pockets and handed him chocolate. “My gift to you. Please take care of my Sissy, she’s a nice girl.”

It’s better to be friendly with people who work with her sister, that way they will be nicer and won’t get mad at her.

Professor Su, who accepted the little girl’s bribe, laughed. “What a smart child, your future is bright. Thank you.”

He was given a smile sweeter than any candy, “You’re welcome, Teacher Su.”

“What about big brother Dean over there?”

The left out Dean stayed silent as a wallpaper, the sisters did not throw him a second glance. Then the professor suddenly mentioned his name making him twitch.

Dean…? The name sounds slightly familiar.

Alvis gave the person a blank look.

Dean was gloating inside when she failed to recognize him. Yes, that’s it. The boy you knew is gone.

[00, why do I detect hostility from the ancestor origin? Is there a problem I don’t know?] She frantically asked.

00 is in a panic. He riffled through the archive at the fastest speed possible and nearly short-circuited in fright. How would he know that the littlest amount of information would be the most crucial one for this mission!? Had he known earlier he could have transferred everything at once… then Major will surely murder him.

[Major, I… I’m transferring the remaining 1% data back to you.] Please don’t get mad at me.

She heard the anxiety however since 00 is an AI she did not put too much thought into it. As the 1% fully integrated into her memory, a chill not from fear but from too much anger came over her.

A crackling sound that was so out of place came off from those white tapered fingers as she gripped them into a fist. It was clenched so tight the blue veins showed up from within.   

[00…] she called softly. [I will murder you!!!]

Officers help! Major has turned crazy! The poor thing cried.

Alvis was seething that when she raised her eyes, her murderous sight slammed into a face full of irritating smugness.

Dean. As in Dean Lazhward?

Same name but the image doesn’t match…  

Where was the stuttering bespectacled young man she knew? The shaggy mop of hair now turned into a neat cut. Thick scholarly glasses no longer hindered those cunning eyes and that’s not all, the thing that confuses her the most was the unexpected growth.

He filled out nicely in just half a year. What did this person eat?

[Believe it or not Major, he was that pitiful boy you dumped.]

Alvis scoffed at it, [Pitiful?]

The word sparked her anger into a full-blown fire.  

[Don’t be fooled by that innocent look, even when he physically changed, it won’t change his real face.]

She shouldn’t have associated herself with him in the first place!

It was he who betrayed her first.

She stopped abruptly. What’s the use? She thought mockingly.

Just thinking about how his mother came and begged her to let her son off made her madder. Eventually, she had to shoulder the blame of leading the dear young man astray. What did they take her for? A vixen or a kidnapper?

00 decided not to interfere when the Host is losing her wits like this.

On the other side of the office, Dean did not get the surprise he was hoping for when she finally recognized who he was. What he got instead was the undiluted hostility sprayed towards him for the second time. Thankfully, it no longer hurts as it did the first time.

It managed to make him very uncomfortable though.

Lallie has no idea about the adult’s conflict. Like a baby deer towards a lion, she slowly walked towards him and tugged at his shirt.

“Chocolate?” without waiting for his reply she stuffed the goods into his hand. “Big brother, play nice with my sister.” and she ran back shyly.

Her words hit him like a cannonball. An ache spread on his chest.  

“Lallie, it’s time to go back home,” Alvis called out flatly.

The little cinnamon blinked her big eyes and smiled cutely, “Okay~”  

Alvis excused themselves and left the faculty office hurriedly.

Professor Su had a comical smile on his face when looking at Dean. Actually, he was also aware of the drama between the two. He just chose not to interfere.

“I don’t think she recognized you.”

He doesn’t think so. He could feel her anger when she looked at him.

 

[Uh… Major? What about the origin ancestor? We finally found him.] 00 called out desperately.

Ancestor my foot!

Alvis laughed without humour. She wished she had long legs so she could walk faster and farther.

[He’ll be fine as long as I keep him alive right? Anyway, there are no rules that stipulate that I must stick every second of the day to ensure his safety. I can do that with my eyes half-closed.]

A long-range plasma rifle will solve any threat.  

[Have you forgotten that you cannot use any weapons to prevent exposure?]

Alvis unexpectedly spoke in a frigid tone. [You don’t expect me to fight barehanded, do you?]

A wind whistled by. Alvis’s mood continued to drop and 00 began to feel nervous.  

[Major, please don’t be heartless. The ancestor origin needs you.]

She knows…

00 continue to wail inside her head.

[Think of the empire, Major. Miss Lallie’s descendants. The people hoping for this mission to succeed… huhuhu.]

She suddenly wanted to curse her rotten destiny.

The Ark’s designated armory is temporarily closed; she couldn’t even pick out the simplest hand blade. How do the higher-ups expect her to fight the undead if she is not allowed to use any weapons? With a signpost and a crowbar?

[Might be a good choice, Major.] 00 said in delight, [A signpost made of metal has a Level 7 strength while a crowbar is Level 4. A machete is also a good alternative, aside from being soundless it also packs a good level 6 strength.]

Alvis thought about the situation while listening to 00’s sales speech.  

Find the origin ancestor. Fulfilled.

Protect his safety until he fully awakens? Sure she can do that.

Once he gains abilities, will that make her mission smoother?   

Ugh, she could feel a headache coming. The weapons of this era cannot completely kill the zombies. Once they recover from the damage, they will then begin to adapt and raise their body’s strength to defend against human weapons.    

It was better to hit them once and do not give them a chance to come back. But the start of chaos, the military’s first course of action is to fight the undead with every armament available.

When powers emerge maybe it will be less difficult. How about her?

[Do not despair, Major. You are a legendary SSS grade esper. Have you forgotten?]

[No, but you see this is the old era. SSS? Don’t even mention S human evolution has not reached that peak yet. My body in particular has not evolved. Stop dreaming!]

00 wanted to bawl over and kneel. Major knows!

The moment she felt that cursed dizziness when she awoke in the toilet at Cristy Agency Alvis knew her psychic power lowered.

Her physique? She would be lucky if she could even be rated as E.  

00 twiddled his fingers full of guilt. It was the officers who told him to limit Major’s mental power to match the current era’s power metric but he did adjust her body’s strength though. It’s just that Major was too mad to notice it for now.

 

A pair of sullen eyes followed the figures until they got into a black off-road vehicle.

It’s been months, does she still remember? Dean realized he was acting like the old idiot that he was once again and severely chastised himself. No, things already changed. He forced it to.

The time where he perpetually followed her no longer exists. A lot of people appreciated his changes, but truthfully he cared for none of their praises.

In those times, she was the one who was too eager to see him improve. What about now?

“Let’s stop. From here on focus on your research. We won’t see each other any longer.”

“Al… why? I thought we were okay.”

She said it was fine. They will remain friends despite rejecting his confession but only a day later she became withdrawn and irritable.

“D-Did I do something wrong? I will change.” he persuaded with a cracking voice. He was gripping the sides of his shirt until it wrinkled.

Her face back then was as cold as the peak of winter when she replied, “The biggest regret of my life was when I have gotten close to you.”  

A sad cynical smile tilted his lips up at the reminder. Yes, she was cold as she is heartless. Remember that.  

The rumours he heard as he walked by the corridor grew louder and louder. Everyone was curious at Alvis’ sudden change. Some wondered since when did she have a car of her own. She was a full scholar student who juggled between part-time jobs to make ends meet.

Dean knew better, her parents were both famous scientists and must have left a trust fund for them. It’s not unusual for parents to save for unexpected emergencies and for their children’s future.

As for the malicious gossip that she suddenly got herself a wealthy sponsor, or that she’s doing something shady outside the university, he ignored it. Alvis was too prideful for any of that.

He leaned on the window still watching the black car grow farther and farther away. Since she did not talk to him, he assumed they wouldn’t have any intersection from here on.

Unknowingly… he thought wrong.

1