Chapter 2
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It looked like it had been abandoned for years. It was the squat sagging building whose wooden planks were almost black from years of moss and rot. A cross still stood on top of the place also weathered black none of the windows had a glass and there were no doors just open doorways.

 

 We got close enough to see inside there were rows of pews and a built-up section in the front for a preacher to stand.

 We didn't go all the way in I mean we didn't want to go beyond all that there was no sign of anyone else no footprints no paths no roads it was an abandoned church.

 We left immediately and went back up the hill to our spot. We had picked a camp having a hill between us and the church made us feel better but we were still a little uneasy.

we chalked it up to the natural creepiness seeing a church in the middle of the woods would elicit besides at this point it was dusk and we just decided to rig up our hammocks go to sleep and move on at early morning night set in and as we lay in our hammocks and shot the sleep we began to hear something in the direction of the church.. our conversation about it went a little like this

"Do you hear that the hell is that sounds like people singing" and it did sound just like singing.

we both slid right out of our hammocks and hunkered down straining to hear more. We listened for a minute or two when the singing continued but it wasn't getting louder finally.

we decided to creep back up the hill and see if we could spy where the sound was coming from.

we could still move very quietly in the woods from the old days I mean it was second nature to us.

The moon was barely out but it provided enough light so you wouldn't walk right into a tree but it was near pitch-black we didn't use flashlights as we crept slowly up the hill and we didn't talk when we got to the top.

we saw light in the distance it was coming from the church and the singing was coming from inside joe and I put our heads close together and had a hushed conversation that boiled down to can you believe this shit the light looked to be uh candlelight from the way it flickered and though we tried we couldn't make out what was being sung.

It sounded like church music but in another language we sat and watched for a while trying to see who was in there but we only saw occasional shadows we had no intention of getting closer either we had about a football field length between us and we aimed to keep it that way the singing continued for a bit and then it just stopped after that a very loud male voice began to chant

I was already freaked out but this voice thoroughly scared the hell out of me it sounded like some old testament preacher you see in movies but again it was like he was speaking in a different language because we couldn't understand a single word eventually it got to where the single male voice would say something and then a bunch of voices would answer in song.

This lasted for a while and then they all broke into this long sustained whale that just kept getting louder it got so loud and so disturbing that I covered my ears then it stopped at this point.

I was just getting ready to say let's get the hell out of here when joe put a hand on my shoulder and hissed “they're coming out” we were far enough away that we couldn't make them out really well but what we could see was a line of figures walk out the open doorway all holding hands in a single line we could see some of them had flashlights they began to sing again and the light from the flashlights began to move toward us and the hill.

we booked it back down to our campsite grabbed our Sh*t and ran to the tracks once there we ran down the tracks in the direction we had come from after a few minutes we stopped and looked back.

We saw lights coming down the hill, they were moving erratically like whoever was holding them was shaking them. We continued to run in spurts and walk as fast as we could.

We eventually stopped seeing the lights and came to a road by our map. We knew a small town was about 15 minutes down it and we walked there, got to a 24-hour gas station, and called my wife to come to get us.

My wife and other friends all just thought it was some kids messing around but I heard those voices and they sure as hell didn't sound like kids to me I'm not sure who those people were but it was definitely the creepiest thing that happened to me out in the woods

2