Chapter 3 Latin is the language of the Dead
15 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A dimly lit room, clothes lying all over, books kept in a disordered manner and with everything haphazard, a woman in early twenties was furiously typing on a laptop. Her fair, slender hands reached for a cup of coffee. She sipped on the cup to find it empty. She gets from her chair, ruffles her already unkempt hair and gets into the kitchen.

The kitchen was even more untidy with used utensils still in the sink, dustbin overflowing with garbage. A sigh comes out.

While she makes herself some coffee, a cat with shiny black fur and azure eyes rubbed against her legs. She lifts the cat and caresses it.
After some hours, her pocket watch makes an alarm sound. She brushes her hair and gets ready to leave home.

The untidy, unkempt woman turns into a beautiful woman and picks up the pocket watch. She disappears into thin air, leaving the room silent.

In a hospital ward, people were grieving. A child succumbed to death after battling cancer for many years. She reappears inside the room without alerting the people around.

She stands beside the grieving family, observing the people. A child about ten years old was standing near the window. She goes near him.

"Are you alright?" She asks the child.

"I don't feel the pain anymore. I think I am alright," the child replied.

"You will be. I am here to take you."

"Hmm. What will happen to my parents?"

"I don't know. Your parents will be sad for some time, but they will move on. You too want that as well, don't you?"

"I don't want them to be sad anymore. Let's go."

She holds the hand of the boy. The boy turns into tiny speckles of light and gets into the pocket watch. She takes out a black diary, strikes off a name from the notebook and moves out of the room.

She roams around the hospital for some time. All the ghosts in that area started running out of the hospital. Her arrival had caused chaos, but nobody could see it. Every alive human being was busy with their business.

She goes into another ward. This ward had a man lying in a coma. She takes out her diary and sits on a vacant chair near the unconscious man. After sitting for a few hours, she said, "Looks like you won't die today as well. Yawn. I'm so tired and sleepy. Meet you again, buddy." She disappears just like she had appeared out of nowhere.

The woman reappears in her messy apartment and hugs her cat. The sun was already rising.

"Toto, I missed you. You know, today I took the soul of a child and the man I was supposed to take away two years back has not dropped yet. Life is so unfair. Right? Here I have to do a double shift, graveyard shift reaping souls and making a living in the remaining time. And still, I cannot afford you better food. You don't hate me, do you?"

She caresses the cat and plays with it for a while.

 

 

Sahil was sipping a fresh and warm cup of coffee while the old ghost was reminiscing his youth.

"Uncle, you don't have to wait any longer as I have found a solution to your woe," Sahil said to the ghost with a serene and peaceful smile.

"You mean, the reaper, the one you have no idea where to find," the ghost replied to him tauntingly.

"I don't know where he lives, but I have a way," Sahil said while turning his laptop towards the ghost. He said, "We are in a modern world. With a click, you can find anything, anyone, anywhere."

"You want me to believe that you can find 'the reaper' with this laptop."

"I already did."

"…"

The ghost was baffled. It was the twenty-first century. Was that even possible?

"I am almost a step away from finding the reaper."

"…Are you sure you are only one step away? To me, it looks like you are one step away from getting scammed."

"Hmph. Allow me to explain."

Sahil cleared his voice and continued, "I have posted a message on social media asking for a reaper. Don't give me that look." Sahil bends forward to look more appealing. "The message is in Latin. Normal people won't understand a word, only reapers can and few exceptions."

"I don't understand you, youngsters. Nowadays, kids are stuck on their phone, saying the world is in their fingertips. Tch" said the unsatisfied old ghost.

"It doesn't warrant finding any real reapers, but there is progress. Look I have got some valid response."

Much of the responses or all of the 'responses' were trolls. Some were-

His co-worker: Are you sleep typing?

Arohi, his sister: Did you finally went bonkers?

Some random guy: Challenge accepted. I will decode it within a day.

His friend: Don't make booty calls in public. You know I am just one call away.

"You call them valid."

"Not those. This one. It's a reply in Latin."

After a myriad of bullshits, there was a reply in Latin. A guy name Francois Decosta replied that he was a reaper, but he cannot come to his area. He will find one assigned to his region and send a reply soon.

The reply didn't take much time as he soon got the contact information. The reaper's name was Aayna, and without much delay, he sends a message to her.

"How do you even know Latin. I don't believe you are some polyglot."

"...Don't count the seeds. Anyways I found the reaper. And yeah, the world is in our fingertips. Even reapers use social media, nowadays, except_"

"Stop gloating and show me the reply."

"She hasn't replied yet." 

"Hah fingertips. We still have to wait."

Aayna had just woke up when she got a call from her supervisor. He asked her to meet this mysterious guy who knew Latin without being a reaper himself. After the phone call was over, she grumbled, bemoaned about her low wage and unreasonable boss.

4