Chapter 5: The Story of the Cynical Ghost
18 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With old yellow papers sprawled all the over the dining table, three people; a man, a woman and a ghost were having a hard time figuring out the solution to their problem.

Aayna, Sahil and the ghost Santosh were in Sahil's apartment and were discussing Santosh's life contract.

"Who the hell even wants to be the Kishore Kumar. He is a person, not a thing or goal. Why do you want to be him?" Sahil slammed the documents on the table as he asks Santosh.

"I wanted to be like him, not him."

"...This whole folder is filled with your unfulfilled wishes. If we try to fulfil each of it, our whole lives will be spent, and most of this doesn't even make any sense."

Sahil was exhausted. They all were. The folder was very long, and most of the wishes were childish and absurd.

"It did. For me..." Santosh didn't know what to say. He continued, "I was young back then. I did not know I would have to linger because of some stupid wishes."

"Okay. Both of you calm down. We don't have to fulfil each. Only the most important one will do the job." Aayna stopped them as they both were losing their minds.

"And what that might be?" Sahil asked, still frustrated.

"...Well, I thought reuniting my family was my last wish. It certainly is. I don't know why it is shown as fulfilled." Santosh tone had lost his usual cynicism and vigour.

The room fell silent. It was not some mundane task, that didn't matter you complete it or not. It concerned someone's life. Well, here it was death. Whatever the reason was, Santosh wasn't able to move on. He did not want to lose his rationality and linger like the mindless ghosts or become something evil.

"Can you tell us your full story without leaving out any details?" Aayna asks him. It was Santosh's life. He knew the best of it, not some documents.

Santosh reminisces his life and tells them the events of his life.

In the post-independence era, Santosh came to Delhi with hopes and aspirations. He was from a very small town. His family was that of farmers, but he had bigger dreams. He didn't want to toil his life away on the soil and lastly mixed up in that soil. He did not want an ordinary life. He wanted to live a life worth living.

It was not easy for him to survive in that unfamiliar environment. He struggled a lot. He neither had the fortune or luck to survive in the city. He only had his skills. He took up many odd jobs, acquired various skills and went through many ordeals and eventually accomplished his goals.

He had earned himself enough capital to start his apparel business. His business was set, he fell in love with a beautiful woman, married her and had few children. His life was full of bliss. His business was flourishing, and his family was also doing great. There were little ups and downs, but he could tackle it with the support of his wife.

After a few years of marriage, his wife passed away, leaving behind her four children. The children were young, and he was too busy managing his business. His daughters were beautiful and well mannered. They were married into good households. His older son was obedient and cherished, while his younger son was the black sheep. He made quite some troubles, but none of those were anything serious. His older son helped him in his business while the younger one had other ambitions. He wanted to be a movie director, something he did not support.

Overall, he had a good life, just the average life of most people. He had regrets, sorrows, problems. He also lived through good days filled with love and joy. It was a balanced life.

By the time he was in his sixties, he had amassed quite a lot of wealth. Maybe the wealth became his woe. His sons fought over the inheritance. His younger son wanted his share, even when he was still alive. The older son, as obedient as he was, rejected his brother's wanton behaviour, making the younger son leave the house. He tried to find his son and bring him back home. He was saddened by it and eventually died soon after.

 

Santosh's memory was becoming hazy day by day. The day he loses all of his memories, he will turn into a mindless ghost. It wasn't that long when that happens. To keep his memory, he would tell Sahil bits and pieces of his life events. Although it was annoying, it was the only way. Sahil would always grumble but listens to him anyway. Even after so much time, Sahil still paid attention to his story. He was grateful to him, not that he would ever tell that to his face.

After hearing the story, they still could not figure out his last wish. His last wish as he said was still unite his family. It was only thirty days since he died. If his sons reunited after his death, then why was he still on Earth. The question was not getting any answer. They finally decide to pay a visit to his home.

They stood in front of a busy street with malls, restaurants, cafe etc. This was the place where Santosh's home was supposed to be instead of a commercial district.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Sahil asked Santosh.

"I don't know. I clearly remember. This is the place where my house was."

They were sure that Santosh wasn't lying. It must have been his memory.

"Uncle, you don't remember most of the things about your life, do you?"

"..."

"Many of the things you told me doesn't match what you told me about a week ago." Sahil continued, "You did not talk much about your daughters either. You only remember the facts and not the details. You are talking about your life as if you are reading a script."

"..."

"I know you are telling the things that you have memorised about your life. But this is not helping you. Think more about it. You might be missing an important link to your life."

"...I do not remember anything more than this." Santosh sighed. "I am leaving. You guys did your best. Sorry for wasting your time."
Saying that Santosh disappears into thin air.

"Are you going to give up?" Aayna asks.

"Like hell, I can," Sahil said and took out his wallet. He pulled out a powder blue card from his pocket. It was the business card of the owner of the cafe, Anthony D'Souza.

"We are going to take every help we can, and send that bickering old man to where he should belong."
Sahil dialled the number. Anthony soon picked up the phone.

"Hello, this is Anthony from Anthony's cafe. How can I help?" A cheery voice greeted him from the other side.

"Mr Anthony. What was the society you were talking about this morning."

"Sahil! I knew you would need my help. But that was too soon." Anthony was delighted.

"Can we come to the point or I disconnect the call." Sahil was tired of all the paper sorting and finding a house that no longer was. It was already night, wasting his whole Sunday.

"Absolutely not. So, how can I be of service," Anthony said.

Sahil told him about Santosh and how they were trying to locate his family.

"Sector 8, you said. That place was redeveloped almost twenty years ago. That can't be the place where his home could be," Anthony said after hearing the whole story.

"Are you sure?" Sahil asked him again.

"Yeah. Cent per cent. My father had owned a few of the buildings in that place. He was compensated with some hefty amount when the redevelopment happened."

"Can you still help us find his family in any way?"

"Of course, I can. I know a cop who can help. He is also a member of our society."

"A cop is a member of your society? Are you sure he is a legit cop."

"Sigh! I will add you to our social media group. You can directly talk to him and decide for yourself."

Sahil was added to the group. He opened the chat window to find more than two hundred members in the group. He was still hesitating to associate with such a group. It was giving him a cult feeling.

4