Ch9 – Truth & Pain
224 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kevin stood there with his jaw still wide open.

 

“Come,” Queen Qirien took a seat at the balcony table while inviting his evening guest.

 

He dragged his feet and sat on the chair while slumping. He was in a daze, staring far from the limit of his view. Then, his pupils moved.

 

“Where is he?” Kevin asked.

 

Queen Qirien’s eyes were looking down, with her lips staying still. Her crossed leg swerved slowly like a willow tree. 

 

“She, is not among us,” said Queen Qirien. She turned her glance back to the illuminating moss.

 

“Is she dead?” Kevin asked while swallowing down a mouthful. 

 

“No,” she said, “she did worse than dying.” 

 

A heavy pressure came crashing down on Kevin’s shoulders. His whole body bent forward with his chest touching his knees. He stole a glance at the queen.

 

Queen Qirien was frowning. A first for Kevin as he never saw the queen with such expression.

 

He wanted to say something, but the pressure was too much. 

 

“Forgive me,” said Queen Qirien. The pressure lightened down as Kevin could finally breathe.

 

“She sided with the heroes,” her elegant voice trembled, hiding the sorrow in her soul. “The souls of my people were lost by the cruel action of that despicable human.”

 

Kevin sensed the hatred in Qirien’s voice. 

 

“She betrayed us!” she shouted as she stood up. The pressure came back even stronger as Kevin fell to his knees.

 

Kevin was on his fours, trying not to collapse on the floor. Speaking was definitely a no-go as he tried to reach out to Qirien but failed.

 

Shit, I can’t do a thing. This is ridiculous, how the hell am I going to stop her?

 

Regret was too late as he took the full brunt of the murderous pressure of Qirien. Yet seconds later, it dissipated like nothing had happened. Kevin wobbled on his feet, trying to stabilize himself. He stared at the queen with wariness. Who knew when Qirien would have another meltdown.

 

A long silence between them, neither spoke a word. Qirien stared at the city while Kevin kept his eyes on Qirien’s back. 

 

“Jihyun Lee,” she spoke a name catching Kevin’s ears. “Do you know the reason why she betrayed us?”

 

She turned towards Kevin with her eyes dyed in red. Yet there were no tears. Kevin could only shake his head side to side.

 

“That deplorable human shouted for all of us alvas to hear, she said we will die and be enslave, and we stand no chance against the top athletes of earth,” said Queen Qirien.   

 

“She feared them after knowing who they were and what they have done. Do you Kevin fear them?” a question posed to the only human in Edelstein.

 

Kevin remained silent for a while as deep down, he knew the answer better than anyone. The queen didn’t pester for an immediate answer as she waited. Yet an answer was not given replaced with a question.

 

“Why did you summon me?” he asked, ignoring the question of the queen without care. He was confused, as he didn’t understand the motive behind the queen’s action. An action full of risks.

 

“You of all people knew the risk of bringing another human here. I could have betrayed you and your people,” said Kevin with his whole body shaking. 

 

To spoke such words was brave of him but utterly suicidal, more so to an unstable royal. He could have gotten his head dropped on the floor if he didn’t tread his words carefully.

 

“Why are you gambling with such odds?” he asked.

 

“I have hope Kevin Wang. Hope for a just person to come to our aid,” said Queen Qirien. 

 

“I am powerful to an extent, but not enough to go against those heroes. And I knew a fact that the only one that can withstand against them is a person from the same world itself,” said Queen Qirien.

 

“I have answered yours, but where is mine Kevin?” a woman never forgets no matter the race. 

 

“Do you trust me?” he said while looking back at those red eyes of Qirien.

 

“Verbal vows are useless Kevin, it had been that way since those heroes had come,” said Queen Qirien.

 

“Then summon the angel,” said Kevin with confidence. A contract to determined the truth. 

 

Qirien closed her eyes as she walked over to Kevin. She passed beside him and entered her bedchamber. She stood in front of her bed, as she said.

 

“I gave you my word on that day, I put my whole trust on you Kevin Wang.” a brief pause between the two. Kevin didn’t know what to do or what to say, their conversation went far too serious, and now he was stuck.

 

“Lethargy is taking a toll on me, I need to rest for the evening,” said Queen Qirien. 

 

“I understand, I’ll take my leave, your majesty,” said Kevin slightly bowing to the queen before leaving through the door.

 

The queen sat on her bed with a half-hearted smile. 

 

“Pathetic,” she said. “A queen should not have lost their tempers this easily,” she was embarrassed over what had transpired this evening.

 

She sighed regretting over what had been done. “I have shamed my predecessors.”

 

She shouldn’t blame herself, remembering an act of betrayal from someone she had trusted would have definitely brought back the caged temper that she once sealed.

    

While someone was disappointed at herself, another person was undecided. He walked through the empty cold hallway, aimlessly until he suddenly reached the garden of the keep. The fresh fragrance of these underground flowers rejuvenated him in a way.

 

The slight smile he had turned back into a slack expression. But then he felt a prick of pain on his neck. He looked down and saw a shining blade placed at the nape of his neck. He jumped in surprise as he heard a familiar voice.

 

“Do not move,” he recognized that voice from a miles away. It was none other than Lautiria, his rapid beating heart slowed down quickly.

 

“What happened in the Queen’s bedchamber?” she asked, “What did you do to the queen? Answer me!”

 

She demanded. Lautiria felt an intense killing aura, and she of all people knew who it belonged to. Her allegiance to the queen never died even though they were always butting head with one another. She came and hesitated in front of the door. She heard two voices from outside and the voice of a male sparked her curiosity and anxiousness.

 

She waited until the door opened revealing who it was, it was none other than the human, Kevin Wang. She followed him until both of them stopped in the garden. Then came the present.

 

“It was because of you!” Kevin turned not minding the slight pain on his neck as the blade dug deeper to his skin.

 

“If it wasn’t for you saying that name, I wouldn’t have…” his words trailed off as the frustration he felt went away. It was stupid of him to accused Lautiria of speaking the truth. 

 

He looked down on the grass as his fists were trembling. He didn’t know what to do. The heroes were strong, and they outnumbered him, and his predecessor betrayed these people as he now knew why he received such hatred. But did he deserved it? 

 

Kevin glanced at Lautiria. The woman who was demanding an answer was sensible enough after hearing Kevin’s words. It seemed she was the cause of it, and out of courtesy, she took away the blade from Kevin’s neck. A long silence between these two in the middle of a garden. Then a voice broke it apart.

 

“You said I can request anything, is it still valid?” Kevin asked.

 

Lautiria nodded as she felt a bit guilty over what had happened. That night, both Lautiria and Yaereene were horrified over what they were doing. But for Kevin, he drowned his emotions with all the pain coming from every inch of his body.

 

You have learned Karamic Tolerance

 

 

 

 

 

 

11