8- When in Rome
797 2 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          2,846 years, I have spent 2,846 years roaming two of the three realms. Now that I can say I have been to all three realms, with that in mind, heaven is an abomination. Abomination. I would say that it needs to be burned to the ground, but I’m sure that it already is. No where can be this hot or bright without being actively on fire.

          So, in order to fit in, we lit more fires. It was rather fun, that boney woman hid me under her wings as we ran around with torches. I would throw them and she’d light them with a focused ray of light.

          The angels reacted quickly and fires on houses were put out quickly…too quickly. I squinted at her suspiciously.

          She looked away and scratched her jaw, “…fires are rather common. All it really takes to start one is one misplaced jewel or glass…”

          “I knew you were going along with this too easily…”

          “The music hall has an anti-fire structure, so no one expects it to catch on fire…” she spoke gently, like she was talking to a child.

          “…fine.” I grumbled. If I picked a fight here, I would be the loser.

          “There you go…” she moved to pat my head.

          “Don’t push it boney brat.”

          “Whatever you say, Blackie.”

 

 

          “General, I’m afraid I have some bad new and some good news.”

          Lyciel looked up from his book, since the meeting between heaven and hell had ended with an agreement, a truce was called for the foreseeable future. As a general, his responsibilities were basically nonexistent as long as no major events disturbed heaven’s peace.

          “Oh?” His adoptive mother always told him, ‘a gentle smile improves your image, which is important at court hearing when you are accused of crimes you most certainly did not commit.’ While he never planned on committing any kind of crime, she drilled it in enough that it was reflex now.

          “The Old General returned to heaven.”

          “Ah, and the bad news?”

          “…The music hall is on fire…”

          “…and the bad news?”

          “Sir…”

          “I understand... gather volunteers from the citizens as quickly as you can without causing a panic. Remember, most angels are just normal civilians and cannot be rushed, go slowly, we mustn’t cause a panic.”

          “Everyone is out safely.”

          “Then I will take care of the fire personally.” Determined assurance in his eyes, he spoke with the conviction of one who knew a job needed to be done.

          “…Sir, you would be more convincing if you put the book back down.”

 

 

          Finally, we were back in our cave, far, far away from the burning ball of anguish and agony. The cave was initially shallow, blocking the sunlight but was still lit from the indirect rays. I was currently digging further in. Aenaziel was setting up a new forge in the entrance where she could redirect rays if she wanted to.

          “I forgot to ask, but do you have a hobby of your own?” She half turned to me without pausing her hands.

          “Besides chess?”

          “Besides chess."

          “I tried torture for a few years, never took a liking to it, too messy. …did brewery for about a century but found I made more than I knew what to do with. I mostly liked wood carving but I ran into the same problem.” I sighed, rocking back a bit as I considered the structure of the cave and where next to keep digging without risking a cave-in.

          “Wood carving?” She sat on the rim of the forge she carved from a large boulder I had found while deepening the cave. “I tried, but I work with metal and glass better. Anything that once had lifeforce, wood, leather, and the like always seem to try to get away from me.”

          “…Literally or…” 

          “Hm? Oh, no. Metaphorically. I’ve never had a talent for it so I left the finishing touches for my weapons to…” As a first in the short time that I’ve known her, she faltered. “Well, whoever was with me I suppose.”

          Her voice softened as she trailed off. Sorrow, deeper than any I knew, gently echoed round in her eyes. Eyes unlike anyone I'd ever met. It wasn't just her age, but it was her life that was far different.

          “What is it?” I almost didn’t recognize my own voice, which was softened to match hers.

          “…Just thinking of the ones that left me behind.”

          I sighed and sat down, this felt like it was going to be a long story.

          “First it was my twin sister, Anabiel, who made my handles, then my husband, then my children, then the new recruits from the army, then little Lacie. Everyone, except Lacie boy, is gone now.” That same gentle sorrow seemed to ease into calm isolation. “I’m the only one left.”

          Shorter than I had expected, but somehow, I wasn’t surprised. We were the oldest active members of our races, there are others older, but everyone else “retired” long ago. I never got attached to anyone other than myself, and could not relate, but I could understand. It’s a lonely feeling to be left behind, even if you never walked together to begin with.

          “I have never tried leather work, nor do I plan to.” I narrowed my eyes, sensing a slight trap.

          “Aw, but I don’t want to learn…the cure smells terrible.” Her shoulders drooped and she puffed one cheek in a pout, all of the regal bearing from before gone in an instant. 

          “I can make a wood chess set though.” Giving the stones and hand drawn squares in the dirt we had resorted to after breaking my first set a dry smile. “You’re not allowed to break the pieces if I do that. And I suppose I can do wood handles.

          “Deal.”

          I’m not sure why I bothered to offer, maybe it was because I wanted an actual chess set again, maybe it was to ease the tension…

          Either way, I’m sure it wasn’t because I wanted to see that real, bright smile of hers.

41